YASID: Looking for a short story about a man seeking immortality
2018-05-04 00:07:07 UTC
YASID: Looking for a short story about a man seeking immortality

"Looking for a short story about a man seeking immortality. He Meets an
Alien who is also seeking immortality and they discuss there mutual
quest. The “punch line” of the story is that the alien is already 60,000
years old."

"I think the Author was either A. C. Clarke or Asimov but I am not sure."

From:
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/contact/

2018-05-04 02:20:23 UTC
YASID: Looking for a short story about a man seeking immortality
"Looking for a short story about a man seeking immortality. He Meets an
Alien who is also seeking immortality and they discuss there mutual
quest. The ???punch line??? of the story is that the alien is already 60,000
years old."
"I think the Author was either A. C. Clarke or Asimov but I am not sure."
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/contact/
... Might be a Niven? Specifically a Draco's Bar, I think it was, story?

Dave, rings a bell
Kay Shapero
From: https://best-sci-fi-books.com/contact/
... Might be a Niven? Specifically a Draco's Bar, I think it was, story?
Dave, rings a bell
Sounds like a Draco's Tavern to me, too - I do know I've read it, and I
think more recently than I read Clarke's Tales from the White Hart. The
human decided that after 60,000 years the alien was still obsessed with
immortality to the exclusion of just about anything else, he was going
to drop the idea and enjoy life while he has it however long that might
be.
--
Kay Shapero
Address munged, try my first name at kayshapero dot net.
Gene Wirchenko
2018-05-04 04:38:12 UTC
On Thu, 03 May 2018 21:20:23 -0500, David DeLaney
Post by David DeLaney
Post by Lynn McGuire
YASID: Looking for a short story about a man seeking immortality
"Looking for a short story about a man seeking immortality. He Meets an
Alien who is also seeking immortality and they discuss there mutual
quest. The ???punch line??? of the story is that the alien is already 60,000
years old."
"I think the Author was either A. C. Clarke or Asimov but I am not sure."
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/contact/
... Might be a Niven? Specifically a Draco's Bar, I think it was, story?
Dave, rings a bell
It does for me, too. I just got out _The Draco Tavern_
collection, and it is not one of them. It also is not in Niven's
bibliography at <http://news.larryniven.net/biblio>.

Spoiler: The Niven story that I (and probably you) are thinking
of <rot13>raqf jvgu fbzrguvat yvxr gung ab yvsr vf ybat rabhtu hayrff
lbh yvir vg sbe nyy vg vf jbegu</rot13>.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Kay Shapero
2018-05-07 05:29:04 UTC
In article <***@4ax.com>, ***@telus.net
says...
Post by Gene Wirchenko
Spoiler: The Niven story that I (and probably you) are thinking
of <rot13>raqf jvgu fbzrguvat yvxr gung ab yvsr vf ybat rabhtu hayrff
lbh yvir vg sbe nyy vg vf jbegu</rot13>.
Yeppers, that was the one I was thinking of.
Paul Colquhoun
2018-05-04 05:42:03 UTC
On Thu, 03 May 2018 21:20:23 -0500, David DeLaney <***@earthlink.net> wrote:
| On 2018-05-04, Lynn McGuire <***@gmail.com> wrote:
|> YASID: Looking for a short story about a man seeking immortality
|>
|> "Looking for a short story about a man seeking immortality. He Meets an
|> Alien who is also seeking immortality and they discuss there mutual
|> quest. The ???punch line??? of the story is that the alien is already 60,000
|> years old."
|>
|> "I think the Author was either A. C. Clarke or Asimov but I am not sure."
|>
|> From:
|> https://best-sci-fi-books.com/contact/
|
| ... Might be a Niven? Specifically a Draco's Bar, I think it was, story?

Could it be "Cautionary Tales" by Niven? My copy is in the "Convergent
Series" short story collection.

It's only about 5 pages long. The alien is only about 10,000 earth years
old, but its a pretty good match.
--
Reverend Paul Colquhoun, ULC. http://andor.dropbear.id.au/
Asking for technical help in newsgroups? Read this first:
http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#intro
Jack Bohn
2018-05-04 14:14:28 UTC
Post by Paul Colquhoun
|> YASID: Looking for a short story about a man seeking immortality
|>
|> "Looking for a short story about a man seeking immortality. He Meets an
|> Alien who is also seeking immortality and they discuss there mutual
|> quest. The ???punch line??? of the story is that the alien is already 60,000
|> years old."
|>
|> "I think the Author was either A. C. Clarke or Asimov but I am not sure."
|>
|> https://best-sci-fi-books.com/contact/
|
| ... Might be a Niven? Specifically a Draco's Bar, I think it was, story?
Could it be "Cautionary Tales" by Niven? My copy is in the "Convergent
Series" short story collection.
It's only about 5 pages long. The alien is only about 10,000 earth years
old, but its a pretty good match.
When "Cautionary Tales" ran in Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine, the two talking at the table made the cover illustration. The human looked like the magazine's namesake, and, this being the first IA'sfm I'd run across, I took it to be unassociated with any story - just the boss wining and dining on the company expense account - and after connecting it to the story, wondered how often the editor and cover artist conspired to put his image as well as likeness on the cover.
-Jack
D B Davis
2018-05-04 14:50:25 UTC
Post by Jack Bohn
Post by Paul Colquhoun
|> YASID: Looking for a short story about a man seeking immortality
|>
|> "Looking for a short story about a man seeking immortality. He Meets an
|> Alien who is also seeking immortality and they discuss there mutual
|> quest. The ???punch line??? of the story is that the alien is already 60,000
|> years old."
|>
|> "I think the Author was either A. C. Clarke or Asimov but I am not sure."
|>
|> https://best-sci-fi-books.com/contact/
|
| ... Might be a Niven? Specifically a Draco's Bar, I think it was, story?
Could it be "Cautionary Tales" by Niven? My copy is in the "Convergent
Series" short story collection.
It's only about 5 pages long. The alien is only about 10,000 earth years
old, but its a pretty good match.
When "Cautionary Tales" ran in Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine,
the two talking at the table made the cover illustration. The human
looked like the magazine's namesake, and, this being the first IA'sfm
I'd run across, I took it to be unassociated with any story - just
the boss wining and dining on the company expense account - and after
connecting it to the story, wondered how often the editor and cover
artist conspired to put his image as well as likeness on the cover.
A dead-tree version of Hitch's own cameo ploy. [1] Your question about
the existence of other such covers is good question, Jack. Here's a link
to the IA cameo cover that you mention:

Note.

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Alfred_Hitchcock_cameo_appearances

Don
Jack Bohn
2018-05-04 16:16:07 UTC
Post by D B Davis
Post by Jack Bohn
When "Cautionary Tales" ran in Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine,
the two talking at the table made the cover illustration. The human
looked like the magazine's namesake, and, this being the first IA'sfm
I'd run across, I took it to be unassociated with any story - just
the boss wining and dining on the company expense account - and after
connecting it to the story, wondered how often the editor and cover
artist conspired to put his image as well as likeness on the cover.
A dead-tree version of Hitch's own cameo ploy. [1] Your question about
the existence of other such covers is good question, Jack. Here's a link
Note.
1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Alfred_Hitchcock_cameo_appearances
2. http://www.isfdb.org/wiki/images/f/fb/IASFM002.jpg
Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine was the publisher's template for IA'sfm. AHMM would use a photo or caricature of its namesake in his personality for their covers, which Asimov's followed for a few issues before reducing it to a locket-picture within the "O" of the title over conventional sf art. I see they eschewed the "O" picture on this cover.
-Jack
D B Davis
2018-05-04 14:51:28 UTC
Post by Jack Bohn
Post by Paul Colquhoun
|> YASID: Looking for a short story about a man seeking immortality
|>
|> "Looking for a short story about a man seeking immortality. He Meets an
|> Alien who is also seeking immortality and they discuss there mutual
|> quest. The ???punch line??? of the story is that the alien is already 60,000
|> years old."
|>
|> "I think the Author was either A. C. Clarke or Asimov but I am not sure."
|>
|> https://best-sci-fi-books.com/contact/
|
| ... Might be a Niven? Specifically a Draco's Bar, I think it was, story?
Could it be "Cautionary Tales" by Niven? My copy is in the "Convergent
Series" short story collection.
It's only about 5 pages long. The alien is only about 10,000 earth years
old, but its a pretty good match.
When "Cautionary Tales" ran in Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine,
the two talking at the table made the cover illustration. The human
looked like the magazine's namesake, and, this being the first IA'sfm
I'd run across, I took it to be unassociated with any story - just
the boss wining and dining on the company expense account - and after
connecting it to the story, wondered how often the editor and cover
artist conspired to put his image as well as likeness on the cover.
A dead-tree version of Hitch's own cameo ploy. [1] Your question about
the existence of other such covers is good question, Jack. Here's a link
to the IA cameo cover that you mention. [2]

Don
Robert Carnegie
2018-05-04 20:12:27 UTC
Post by Jack Bohn
Post by Paul Colquhoun
|> YASID: Looking for a short story about a man seeking immortality
|>
|> "Looking for a short story about a man seeking immortality. He Meets an
|> Alien who is also seeking immortality and they discuss there mutual
|> quest. The ???punch line??? of the story is that the alien is already 60,000
|> years old."
|>
|> "I think the Author was either A. C. Clarke or Asimov but I am not sure."
|>
|> https://best-sci-fi-books.com/contact/
|
| ... Might be a Niven? Specifically a Draco's Bar, I think it was, story?
Could it be "Cautionary Tales" by Niven? My copy is in the "Convergent
Series" short story collection.
It's only about 5 pages long. The alien is only about 10,000 earth years
old, but its a pretty good match.
When "Cautionary Tales" ran in Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine, the two talking at the table made the cover illustration. The human looked like the magazine's namesake, and, this being the first IA'sfm I'd run across, I took it to be unassociated with any story - just the boss wining and dining on the company expense account - and after connecting it to the story, wondered how often the editor and cover artist conspired to put his image as well as likeness on the cover.
It could be read as Asimov personally identifying with
the character. I don't specifically recall, but I don't
have a sense of him not wanting to live a long time.
Gene Wirchenko
2018-05-04 22:20:22 UTC
On Fri, 04 May 2018 15:42:03 +1000, Paul Colquhoun
Post by Paul Colquhoun
|> YASID: Looking for a short story about a man seeking immortality
|>
|> "Looking for a short story about a man seeking immortality. He Meets an
|> Alien who is also seeking immortality and they discuss there mutual
|> quest. The ???punch line??? of the story is that the alien is already 60,000
|> years old."
|>
|> "I think the Author was either A. C. Clarke or Asimov but I am not sure."
|>
|> https://best-sci-fi-books.com/contact/
|
| ... Might be a Niven? Specifically a Draco's Bar, I think it was, story?
Could it be "Cautionary Tales" by Niven? My copy is in the "Convergent
Series" short story collection.
It's only about 5 pages long. The alien is only about 10,000 earth years
old, but its a pretty good match.
I asked at http://news.larryniven.net/, and the reply I got from
Dave Lambert was:

'The story is "Cautionary Tales,"? first appeared in Asimov's in the
summer of 1978. It it not a Draco Tavern story but it could be - it's
a short vignette, a brief conversation with an alien about a very
large topic, in this case immortality.'

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
b***@dontspam.silent.com
2018-05-04 22:37:22 UTC

"Cautionary Tales" is also in the "Playground of the Mind".
Joe Pfeiffer
https://www.sciencealert.com/ascendance-biomedical-biohacker-ceo-aaron-traywick-found-deceased
D B Davis
2018-05-04 03:36:47 UTC
Post by Joe Pfeiffer
Post by Lynn McGuire
YASID: Looking for a short story about a man seeking immortality
"Looking for a short story about a man seeking immortality. He Meets
an Alien who is also seeking immortality and they discuss there mutual
quest. The "punch line" of the story is that the alien is already
60,000 years old."
"I think the Author was either A. C. Clarke or Asimov but I am not sure."
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/contact/
Lynn
https://www.sciencealert.com/ascendance-biomedical-biohacker-ceo-aaron-traywick-found-deceased
Subcutaneous insertion of a small neodymium magnet near the tip of the
non-dominant ring finger [1] is the gateway biohack for many grinders.
Some bad boys cut themselves without the benefit of lidocaine.
You need to coat the magnet with an inert and biosafe material
before you implant it. Implant grade silicone makes a good coating.
The implanted magnet enables you to perform magic tricks after all
of the pain and suffering subsides. Some grinders say that they can feel
the EM radiation from RFID anti-theft devices found in some retail
stores.

Note.

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_implant

Don