[tor dot com] alkin' 'Bout My G-G-Generation (Ships)
2018-03-13 19:08:31 UTC
Talkin' 'Bout My G-G-Generation (Ships)

https://www.tor.com/2018/03/13/talkin-bout-my-g-g-generation-ships/
2018-03-13 19:19:46 UTC
Talkin' 'Bout My G-G-Generation (Ships)
https://www.tor.com/2018/03/13/talkin-bout-my-g-g-generation-ships/
_Old Twentieth_ by Joe Haldeman was one of the weirder generation ship
books that I have read. I did not get the ending at all.
https://www.amazon.com/Old-Twentieth-Joe-Haldeman/dp/0441013430/

Lynn
Anthony Nance
2018-03-14 12:34:21 UTC
Talkin' 'Bout My G-G-Generation (Ships)
https://www.tor.com/2018/03/13/talkin-bout-my-g-g-generation-ships/
Neat - and this is timely/coincidental in two ways:
1) I was listening to The Who (including My Generation) the day
before I read this.
2) That same day, I finished "The Troublemakers" (1953) by
Poul Anderson[1], which is a generation ship story I was
previously unaware of.

Tony
[1] I read it in the 1982 collection "Cold Victory" which is the
second collection of three in Anderson's Psychotechnic League
series. The three collections don't have every Psychotechnic
League story, but they have most of them -- including the
novella version of "Virgin Planet" in volume 3 (Starship),
which you had mentioned (in novel length) a week or two ago.
James Nicoll
2018-03-14 14:36:17 UTC
Post by Anthony Nance
Post by James Nicoll
Talkin' 'Bout My G-G-Generation (Ships)
https://www.tor.com/2018/03/13/talkin-bout-my-g-g-generation-ships/
1) I was listening to The Who (including My Generation) the day
before I read this.
2) That same day, I finished "The Troublemakers" (1953) by
Poul Anderson[1], which is a generation ship story I was
previously unaware of.
Tony
[1] I read it in the 1982 collection "Cold Victory" which is the
second collection of three in Anderson's Psychotechnic League
series. The three collections don't have every Psychotechnic
League story, but they have most of them -- including the
novella version of "Virgin Planet" in volume 3 (Starship),
which you had mentioned (in novel length) a week or two ago.
Weird: I have no recollection of "The Troublemakers" or the short version
of Virgin Planet but the cover of that collection sure looks familiar.
Anthony Nance
2018-03-14 16:46:36 UTC
Post by Anthony Nance
Post by James Nicoll
[...]
Maybe you're familiar with the first volume (The Psycho-Technic League)?
When first released in the early 80s (by Jim Baen while he was at Tor),
all three volumes had similar covers, with The Psycho-Technic League
and Cold Vistory being most similar to each other.

And then there are the German covers[1], which couldn't possibly
be more different and (per isfdb) were -- no kidding -- by the same
artist as for the Tor releases (Vincent Di Fate).

Tony
[1] Various covers for all three volumes:
http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/titlecovers.cgi?25630
http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/titlecovers.cgi?427
http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/titlecovers.cgi?426
James Nicoll
2018-03-14 17:03:13 UTC
Post by Anthony Nance
Post by James Nicoll
Post by Anthony Nance
Post by James Nicoll
[...]
I was a pretty obsessive Anderson collector up to about 1985. I am sure
I have that book or had it. But did I actually read it?
Default User
2018-03-14 18:31:48 UTC
Talkin' 'Bout My G-G-Generation (Ships)
https://www.tor.com/2018/03/13/talkin-bout-my-g-g-generation-ships/
A different take is Robert Reed's tales of the Great Ship. That's a
really big one (big enough to have a planet at the core). Billions live
on it for very long periods.

To be fair, it's not going anywhere in particular, FTL travel exists,
and people are essentially immortal. So it functions as a cruise ship
rather than transportation.

Brian
James Nicoll
2018-03-14 19:05:24 UTC
Post by Default User
Post by James Nicoll
Talkin' 'Bout My G-G-Generation (Ships)
https://www.tor.com/2018/03/13/talkin-bout-my-g-g-generation-ships/
A different take is Robert Reed's tales of the Great Ship. That's a
really big one (big enough to have a planet at the core). Billions live
on it for very long periods.
To be fair, it's not going anywhere in particular, FTL travel exists,
and people are essentially immortal. So it functions as a cruise ship
rather than transportation.
Did they have ftl? I thought it was all stl...
2018-03-14 22:54:43 UTC
Post by Default User
Post by James Nicoll
Talkin' 'Bout My G-G-Generation (Ships)
https://www.tor.com/2018/03/13/talkin-bout-my-g-g-generation-ships/
A different take is Robert Reed's tales of the Great Ship. That's a
really big one (big enough to have a planet at the core). Billions
live on it for very long periods.
To be fair, it's not going anywhere in particular, FTL travel
exists, and people are essentially immortal. So it functions as a
cruise ship rather than transportation.
Did they have ftl? I thought it was all stl...
The Great Ship didn't, but I thought that's how people got on and off.
Maybe I misremember. That happens.

Brian
Lynn McGuire
2018-03-14 19:15:35 UTC
Post by Default User
Post by James Nicoll
Talkin' 'Bout My G-G-Generation (Ships)
https://www.tor.com/2018/03/13/talkin-bout-my-g-g-generation-ships/
A different take is Robert Reed's tales of the Great Ship. That's a
really big one (big enough to have a planet at the core). Billions live
on it for very long periods.
To be fair, it's not going anywhere in particular, FTL travel exists,
and people are essentially immortal. So it functions as a cruise ship
rather than transportation.
Brian
https://www.amazon.com/Greatship-Robert-Reed/dp/0786753668/

$32 for the paperback ? Forget that !

Lynn
2018-03-14 23:03:25 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Default User
A different take is Robert Reed's tales of the Great Ship. That's a
really big one (big enough to have a planet at the core). Billions
live on it for very long periods.
To be fair, it's not going anywhere in particular, FTL travel
exists, and people are essentially immortal. So it functions as a
cruise ship rather than transportation.
https://www.amazon.com/Greatship-Robert-Reed/dp/0786753668/
$32 for the paperback ? Forget that !
Look like a collection of some of the older short works. Only note said
that he made some rewrites.

Alone (2010)
Hoop-of-Benzene (2006)
Mere (2004)
The Remoras (1994)
Rococo (2006)
River of the Queen (2004)
Night of Time (2003)
Aeon's Child (1995)
The Caldera of Good Fortune (2007)
Camouflage (2005)
The Man with the Golden Balloon (2008)
Hatch (2007) (less)

Only $4.99 on Kindle! I might see if the library has it. I've read many
of those already. I did see some other newer collections to look into.

Brian