An unexpected influence by Doc Smith
Add Reply
Joe Bernstein
2018-06-04 21:29:50 UTC
In contrast to some other recent projects of mine, I'm finding it
possible to re-read as needed right away - in this case, the book
versions of the Lensman series after the magazine ones. (At least so
far - I'm on arguably the first book of actual repetition.)

In this case, however, the versions don't differ enough; I simply
missed this the first time. Here they are; if you've paid enough
attention to the science fiction of the decade before cyberpunk,
you'll probably identify what I'm talking about for yourself.

Magazine:

"Helmuth was not calm and cold now. He would have screamed in wild
abandon; but even that relief was denied him. He could not even
scream; all he could do was sit there and suffer."

Book:

"Helmuth was not now calm and cold. He could have screamed in wild
abandon; but even that relief was denied him. He could not even
scream; all he could do was sit there and suffer."

(In both cases, chapter XII of <Galactic Patrol>. The book this time,
an SF Book Club edition of 1998, has plenty of typos, but the change
strikes me as unlikely to be one of them.)

The author in question, born in 1934, is more likely to have read the
1950 book than the November 1937 issue of <Astounding>, but could've
read either, and is unlikely to have read neither. Still, I wouldn't
have expected a relationship between this book and that story.

Joe Bernstein
Joe Bernstein <***@gmail.com>
Robert Carnegie
2018-06-04 22:15:58 UTC
"I have no mouth and I must sit down until I feel able
to face the situation with tranquillity"?

Are there really two Ls in "tranquillity"? Not always.
Quadibloc
2018-06-04 22:51:37 UTC
"I have no mouth and I must sit down until I feel able
to face the situation with tranquillity"?
Someone else beat me to mentioning Harlan Ellison.