_The Survivalist (National Treasure)_ by Arthur Bradley
2018-03-28 02:18:12 UTC
_The Survivalist (National Treasure)_ by Arthur Bradley

https://www.amazon.com/Survivalist-National-Treasure-Arthur-Bradley/dp/1975652045/

Book number ten of an eleven book post apocalyptic viral plague series.
I read the well printed and bound POD (print on demand) trade paperback.
I will purchase the eleventh book in the series when it is available.

It has been a year since the superpox killed 98% of the people on the
planet. Half of the survivors are infected and sub-intelligent with
visible markings. The other half of the survivors are shell-shocked and
trying to survive.

The author is intertwining two stories throughout the entire series.
The first story is about U. S. Marshall Raines and his 160 lb Irish
Wolfhound. The second story is about his father and his adopted sister.
Their stories are different, yet both pairs are trudging through the
leftover horribleness of the USA.

My rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars (130 reviews)

2018-03-28 05:05:02 UTC
On 3/27/2018 7:18 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> _The Survivalist (National Treasure)_ by Arthur Bradley
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Survivalist-National-Treasure-Arthur-Bradley/dp/1975652045/
>

> Book number ten of an eleven book post apocalyptic viral plague series.
> I read the well printed and bound POD (print on demand) trade paperback.
>  I will purchase the eleventh book in the series when it is available.
>
> It has been a year since the superpox killed 98% of the people on the
> planet.  Half of the survivors are infected and sub-intelligent with
> visible markings.  The other half of the survivors are shell-shocked and
> trying to survive.
>
> The author is intertwining two stories throughout the entire series. The
> first story is about U. S. Marshall Raines and his 160 lb Irish
> Wolfhound.  The second story is about his father and his adopted sister.
>  Their stories are different, yet both pairs are trudging through the
> leftover horribleness of the USA.
>
> My rating:  4 out of 5 stars
> Amazon rating:  4.7 out of 5 stars (130 reviews)

Hmmm, someone's reusing the name. There was a "The Survivalist" series
of post-apoc books from the late '70s-'80s IIRC that I made the mistake
of buying several volumes of. Prepper gun porn basically, I remember
every time the protagonist had to use his beloved handgun the author
spent several _PAGES_ loving describing the grabbing of the grip, the
draw of the weapon from the holster, moving the gun into position and
aiming and the minute details of the physical actions of the components
when the trigger was squeezed as well as the ballistic path of the
bullet. All interspersed with trivia about the history and
specifications of the weapon.

Every

single

time

he

fired.

2018-03-28 17:44:08 UTC
On 3/28/2018 12:05 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> On 3/27/2018 7:18 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> _The Survivalist (National Treasure)_ by Arthur Bradley
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/Survivalist-National-Treasure-Arthur-Bradley/dp/1975652045/
>>

>> Book number ten of an eleven book post apocalyptic viral plague
>> series. I read the well printed and bound POD (print on demand) trade
>> paperback.   I will purchase the eleventh book in the series when it
>> is available.
>>
>> It has been a year since the superpox killed 98% of the people on the
>> planet.  Half of the survivors are infected and sub-intelligent with
>> visible markings.  The other half of the survivors are shell-shocked
>> and trying to survive.
>>
>> The author is intertwining two stories throughout the entire series.
>> The first story is about U. S. Marshall Raines and his 160 lb Irish
>> Wolfhound.  The second story is about his father and his adopted
>> sister.   Their stories are different, yet both pairs are trudging
>> through the leftover horribleness of the USA.
>>
>> My rating:  4 out of 5 stars
>> Amazon rating:  4.7 out of 5 stars (130 reviews)
>>
> Hmmm, someone's reusing the name.  There was a "The Survivalist" series
> of post-apoc books from the late '70s-'80s IIRC that I made the mistake
> of buying several volumes of.  Prepper gun porn basically, I remember
> every time the protagonist had to use his beloved handgun the author
> spent several _PAGES_ loving describing the grabbing of the grip, the
> draw of the weapon from the holster, moving the gun into position and
> aiming and the minute details of the physical actions of the components
> when the trigger was squeezed as well as the ballistic path of the
> bullet.  All interspersed with trivia about the history and
> specifications of the weapon.
>
> Every
>
> single
>
> time
>
> he
>
> fired.

You are thinking of the old Jerry Ahern series. He was a friend of
Jerry Pournelle's who was a backwoods prepper and running out of money.
Jerry persuaded him to write prepper books which sold quite a few copies
and kept Ahern out of bankruptcy.
https://www.amazon.com/Total-War-Survivalist-Jerry-Ahern/dp/1612322395/

There are actually two series using "The Survivalist" name now that I
know of:

https://www.amazon.com/Going-Home-Novel-Survivalist-American/dp/0142181277/
and

https://www.amazon.com/Survivalist-Frontier-Justice-Arthur-Bradley/dp/148274631X/