"21 Best Science Fiction Graphic Novels"
2018-04-08 21:56:13 UTC
"21 Best Science Fiction Graphic Novels"
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/21-best-science-fiction-graphic-novels/

And I am zero read here and not much interest in this category.

2018-04-08 22:16:32 UTC
"21 Best Science Fiction Graphic Novels"
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/21-best-science-fiction-graphic-novels/
And I am zero read here and not much interest in this category.
Lynn
I haven't read most, but:

"Bitch Planet" -- My only memory is a lot of the women got naked.
And a couple found happiness falling into a black hole.

"RASL" -- I have this but havn't gotten to it yet. I'm prepared
to believe it is pretty good as the same author's "Bone" was
a lot of fun.

"Tank Girl" -- My memory is that the initial comic was somewhat
amusing, but everything after that (which this would be) was dire.

"Ronin" -- I read this when it came out, right after Miller's epic
run on "Daredevil" and was way underwhelmed. It's possible I
would appreciate it more now, but I'll probably never get back to it.

"V For Vendetta" -- Sure it's Moore, but it's kind of typical English
lefty "Facism is right around the corner!" stuff. If you don't
believe that, it doesn't work very well.

Hmm. No "Girl Genius", no "Schlock Mercenary", no "Drive" etc.
2018-04-09 00:10:38 UTC
[...]
Not even "Barbarella."
2018-04-09 00:40:49 UTC
[...]
I did not until this moment realize that Barbarella was based on a
comic. That explains a great deal.
Cryptoengineer
2018-04-09 01:22:37 UTC
Not even "Barbarella."
I did not until this moment realize that Barbarella was based on a
comic. That explains a great deal.
A French comic, filmed by Dino de Laurentis in 1968, at that.

2018-04-09 02:23:27 UTC
Post by Cryptoengineer
Not even "Barbarella."
I did not until this moment realize that Barbarella was based on a
comic. That explains a great deal.
A French comic, filmed by Dino de Laurentis in 1968, at that.
Barbarella was a collection of comic strips (no pun intended)
or bandes dessinées, as the French would say.

Novels can be serialized, as SF readers know, having read many
published that way on the magazines. Many strip collections
are sold as "graphic novels" that were never originally meant
to be read as collected - sort of like a "fixup novel." Other
stories told by cartooning were meant to fit in one volume, but
how long they could be was limited by commercial considerations.
They might better be thought of as novelettes or novellas,
especially when compared with, let us say, Dave Sim's CEREBUS
THE AARDVARK.

The development of the expressly limited comics series, with a
collection of all the chapters into a convenient volume or
series of volumes, once the commercial viability of that form
was proven, changed the game a bit.

I don't care for calling any collection of strips or single
episodes from comic books "graphic novels," unless they were
planned continued stories. "Arcs" in a series could be considered
discreet novels, much as releases of sequels in prose fiction
are, planned that way, or not.

2018-04-09 02:28:22 UTC
[...]
Oh, yes. The original (whereof I have a copy) is in French; and
-- all things considered -- the movie kept closer to the graphic
novel than one would have had any reason to expect.
2018-04-09 04:19:27 UTC
[...]
A French comic at that.
2018-04-08 22:32:57 UTC
"21 Best Science Fiction Graphic Novels"
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/21-best-science-fiction-graphic-novels/
And I am zero read here and not much interest in this category.
Lynn
I read _Transmetropolitan_, _We3_, and _Orbiter_, but I don't
quite recall what exactly happened in any of them.
D B Davis
2018-04-09 01:02:18 UTC
"21 Best Science Fiction Graphic Novels"
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/21-best-science-fiction-graphic-novels/
And I am zero read here and not much interest in this category.
A zero read here too. Here's the graphic novels in my collection,
loosely ranked by their sfnal content:

_The City on the Edge of Forever_ (Ellison)
_Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?_ (PKD)
_The Probability Broach_ (Smith)
_Hamlet_ (Shakespeare)
_Romeo & Juliet_ (Shakespeare)

Don
D B Davis
2018-04-09 01:22:27 UTC
Post by D B Davis
Post by Lynn McGuire
"21 Best Science Fiction Graphic Novels"
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/21-best-science-fiction-graphic-novels/
And I am zero read here and not much interest in this category.
A zero read here too. Here's the graphic novels in my collection,
_The City on the Edge of Forever_ (Ellison)
_Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?_ (PKD)
_The Probability Broach_ (Smith)
_Hamlet_ (Shakespeare)
_Romeo & Juliet_ (Shakespeare)
Oh yeah. There's _Serenity_ (Whedon) too. The Smith counts because it
says that it's a graphic novel right on the cover page. But, what about
_Modesty Blaise_ (O'Donnell and Holdaway)?

Don
Juho Julkunen
2018-04-09 02:01:11 UTC
"21 Best Science Fiction Graphic Novels"
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/21-best-science-fiction-graphic-novels/
And I am zero read here and not much interest in this category.
Five, or maybe four and a half. A few I've been meaning to read, and
plenty of stuff I hadn't even heard of before.
Juho Julkunen
The Starmaker
2018-04-09 07:15:52 UTC
"21 Best Science Fiction Graphic Novels"
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/21-best-science-fiction-graphic-novels/
And I am zero read here and not much interest in this category.
Lynn
i never read a science fiction novel..

i also never seen a flying saucer...
Jack Bohn
2018-04-09 13:56:36 UTC
"21 Best Science Fiction Graphic Novels"
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/21-best-science-fiction-graphic-novels/
And I am zero read here and not much interest in this category.
Four of the recommended:
Le Garage Hermetique (or, my version, The Airtight Garage), Nausicaa, Planetes, and 2001 Nights.

Hmm... do I have something against English-language sf comics? The ones I have read aren't very?

Astronauts in Trouble: Live from the Moon by Larry Young and Charlie Adlard - more an action movie than science fiction, or even technothriller -if I can define technothriller as attempting to get technical details right- so the ending comes as a letdown.

Galaxion by Tara Tallan - Actually, fairly good, but I've only seen the first volume.

Sculptor by Scott McCloud - Well, a fantasy, but a good one.

Leaving out collections of Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers strips, I have "Demon with a Glass Hand" and "Nightwings", which I don't see having needed adaptation to comics (I think Marvel's "John Carter: Warlord of Mars" did an adaptation of an ERB short story for an annual, I'd have to check.) I'm assuming the list eliminates super-heroes somehow, or Watchmen would still be #1.
-Jack
Kevrob
2018-04-09 15:30:44 UTC
Post by Jack Bohn
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
Walt Simonson's "STAR SLAMMERS" started out as a fan project connected
to a bid for a Worldcon (Discon II. 1974,)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Slammers

I'm not claiming it is one of the best, but it was an early attempt,
and I love Simonson's art.

[quote]

After graduating from Amherst with a degree in Geology, Simonson took a
year off, and then enrolled as an art major at the Rhode Island School
of Design, graduating in 1972. His thesis project there was the 50-
page black and white book The Star Slammers, which took him two years
to write, pencil, letter and ink himself, and was published as a sort
of ashcan promotional comic book for the 1974 World Science Fiction
Convention in Washington, D.C. (DisCon II). Simonson would later
revisit Star Slammers throughout his career, publishing it through
various publishers over the decades.

[/quote] - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Simonson#Early_life

Anybody remember Gil Kane's Sword & Sorcery hero, BLACKMARK,
published in Bantam paperbacks?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackmark