will the real James Nicoll stand up ?
2018-06-13 01:43:42 UTC
Hi James,

Ok, which quote is correct ?

“The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don’t just borrow
words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways
to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.”

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/694108-the-problem-with-defending-the-purity-of-the-english-language

"english doesn't borrow from other languages. english follows other
languages down dark alleys, knocks them over and goes through their
pockets for loose grammar."
http://www.azquotes.com/author/49717-James_Nicoll

BTW, my second favorite of your quotes on the azquotes site is “Ben Bova
seems to work very hard at working in new discoveries into his Glum
Future but alas, his future is glum and not that well written.”. I
agree to the former but not the latter.

Thanks,
Lynn
Garrett Wollman
2018-06-13 01:58:00 UTC
https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/694108-the-problem-with-defending-the-purity-of-the-english-language
http://www.azquotes.com/author/49717-James_Nicoll
The Wikiquote page, <https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/James_Nicoll>,
includes a citation to the precise original article.

-GAWollman
***@bimajority.org| act to remove constraint from the future. This is
2018-06-13 03:48:19 UTC
[...]
The first. The second is from a tshirt someone did.

2018-06-13 18:35:24 UTC
[...]
Interestingly, while the Red Chinese government (at least, one of its
minor educational functionaries) was kind enough to ask if they could
use the correct, attributed, version in an ESL text, David Weber just
appropriated the knock-off version for one of his books. I used to get
annoyed when people monetized my material without as much as a by your
leave but now I use it as a brown M&M.
2018-06-13 18:51:59 UTC
[...]
Ah, that sucks. My experience in mainland China is fairly different.
They and the Russians cracked the password security on my software and
now I have a thousand users there. One of them did pay though.

Missile p0rn forever ! (much better than pike and flintlock p0rn).

2018-06-13 18:56:20 UTC
Interestingly, while the Red Chinese government (at least, one of its
minor educational functionaries) was kind enough to ask if they could
use the correct, attributed, version in an ESL text, David Weber just
appropriated the knock-off version for one of his books. I used to get
annoyed when people monetized my material without as much as a by your
leave but now I use it as a brown M&M.
Okay, please define "brown M&M" in this context?
Leo Sgouros
Well, I recognize it a s Van Halen thing. But you didn't ask me :-)
James Nicoll
2018-06-13 19:44:05 UTC
Interestingly, while the Red Chinese government (at least, one of its
minor educational functionaries) was kind enough to ask if they could
use the correct, attributed, version in an ESL text, David Weber just
appropriated the knock-off version for one of his books. I used to get
annoyed when people monetized my material without as much as a by your
leave but now I use it as a brown M&M.
Okay, please define "brown M&M" in this context?
To quote snopes:

"Van Halen's standard performance contract contained a provision calling
for them to be provided backstage with a bowl of M&Ms from which all the
brown candies has been removed."

The clause is buried in the middle of the technical specifications of
the show. If there are brown M&Ms, that means the contract was not
actually conformed to, which means the stage may not meet the act's
demanding technical needs.

If I see someone using the t-shirt quote in their book, that tells me
something about them. Same if I see them using the inspirational poster
where it's attributed to Pratchett.
Lawrence Watt-Evans
2018-06-13 20:32:23 UTC
Interestingly, while the Red Chinese government (at least, one of its
minor educational functionaries) was kind enough to ask if they could
use the correct, attributed, version in an ESL text, David Weber just
appropriated the knock-off version for one of his books. I used to get
annoyed when people monetized my material without as much as a by your
leave but now I use it as a brown M&M.
Okay, please define "brown M&M" in this context?
"Van Halen's standard performance contract contained a provision calling
for them to be provided backstage with a bowl of M&Ms from which all the
brown candies has been removed."
The clause is buried in the middle of the technical specifications of
the show. If there are brown M&Ms, that means the contract was not
actually conformed to, which means the stage may not meet the act's
demanding technical needs.
Specifically, it may not be SAFE, for them or the audience; they use a
lot of current and produce very high volumes of sound and prefer to
not be deafened or electrocuted, or to have their equipment damaged by
improper voltages or sonic shock.
Post by James Nicoll
If I see someone using the t-shirt quote in their book, that tells me
something about them. Same if I see them using the inspirational poster
where it's attributed to Pratchett.
I hadn't seen the Pratchett version, but it doesn't surprise me.
My latest novel is Stone Unturned: A Legend of Ethshar.
See http://www.ethshar.com/StoneUnturned.shtml
David DeLaney
2018-06-18 07:59:34 UTC
Post by Lawrence Watt-Evans
Post by James Nicoll
If I see someone using the t-shirt quote in their book, that tells me
something about them. Same if I see them using the inspirational poster
where it's attributed to Pratchett.
I hadn't seen the Pratchett version, but it doesn't surprise me.
I'm pretty much assuming that in a couple of centuries it'll end up either
from Shakespeare or from John Lennon.

Dave, especially if the Legion of Superheroes is involved
t***@gmail.com
2018-06-18 11:34:18 UTC
Post by David DeLaney
Post by Lawrence Watt-Evans
Post by James Nicoll
If I see someone using the t-shirt quote in their book, that tells me
something about them. Same if I see them using the inspirational poster
where it's attributed to Pratchett.
I hadn't seen the Pratchett version, but it doesn't surprise me.
I'm pretty much assuming that in a couple of centuries it'll end up either
from Shakespeare or from John Lennon.
Dave, especially if the Legion of Superheroes is involved
Heywaitaminute - doesn't it have to be Mark Twain or Booker T Washington?
- Tony, sadly still temporarily using google groups
Kevrob
2018-06-18 23:06:52 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
Post by David DeLaney
Post by Lawrence Watt-Evans
Post by James Nicoll
If I see someone using the t-shirt quote in their book, that tells me
something about them. Same if I see them using the inspirational poster
where it's attributed to Pratchett.
I hadn't seen the Pratchett version, but it doesn't surprise me.
I'm pretty much assuming that in a couple of centuries it'll end up either
from Shakespeare or from John Lennon.
Dave, especially if the Legion of Superheroes is involved
Heywaitaminute - doesn't it have to be Mark Twain or Booker T Washington?
- Tony, sadly still temporarily using google groups
That's Booker T Washington & the MGs. Book `em for your next
Klordny party, you won't regret it. They bring the frunt!

2018-06-14 05:53:32 UTC
[...]
I was curious on which Weber title you were referring to, so I searched.
What I found was a Weber sharecropping title where the t-shirt quote
appeared on a t-shirt.
‹-----------------------------------------------------
Robert Woodward ***@drizzle.com
Michael R N Dolbear
2018-06-14 22:21:59 UTC
[...]

Are you claiming the second version as your copyright directly or as a
derivative work by someone else?
Mike D
James Nicoll
2018-06-15 00:44:43 UTC
[...]
The t shirt was inspired by my quotation.
2018-06-15 13:27:07 UTC
I used to get
annoyed when people monetized my material without as much as a by your
leave but now I use it as a brown M&M.
I'm not familiar with the metaphor, but I enjoyed the "It's THAT kind
of a party, is it?" ad that they introduced 'em with.
2018-06-18 07:56:55 UTC
Ok, which quote is correct ?
???The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don???t just borrow
words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways
to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.???
[...]
Post by Lynn McGuire
"english doesn't borrow from other languages. english follows other
languages down dark alleys, knocks them over and goes through their
pockets for loose grammar."
http://www.azquotes.com/author/49717-James_Nicoll
Neither one, actually, but the former is far closer. The actual quote used, for
some reason, the word "riffle". Google thinks it was "on rec.arts.sf-lovers, 15
May 1990".

Dave