OT: Moisture Vaporators Invented in Real Life
2017-04-14 07:24:56 UTC
This news story

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/technology/science/scientists-develop-system-that-can-convert-air-into-water/article34699352/

reminded me how Luke Skywalker and his uncle and aunt managed to survive on Tatooine...

John Savard
James Rau
2017-04-14 13:51:21 UTC
On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 00:24:56 -0700 (PDT), Quadibloc
Post by Quadibloc
This news story
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/technology/science/scientists-develop-system-that-can-convert-air-into-water/article34699352/
reminded me how Luke Skywalker and his uncle and aunt managed to survive on Tatooine...
John Savard
The details of the "moisture farm" are described in the novelization
of Star Wars (A New Hope). Apparently, Luke and his aunt and uncle are
running a somewhat sucessful commercial farm and not just subsisting.
Naturally, they do consume some of the water, but sell the remainder
on the market.

"Harvest is when I need you the most. Only one more season. This year
we'll make enough on the harvest so I'll be able to hire some more
hands." Owen Lars, to Luke Skywalker

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Moisture_farm

James Rau
Juho Julkunen
2017-04-14 20:29:08 UTC
This news story
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/technology/science/scientists-develop-system-that-can-convert-air-into-water/article34699352/
reminded me how Luke Skywalker and his uncle and aunt managed to survive on Tatooine...
I'm reminded of the dew collectors from Dune, in function if not in
method. The Fremen also had windtraps for larger scale water
collection, of course.

"Collectors or precipitators are egg-shaped devices about four
centimeters on the long axis. They are made of chromoplastic that turns
a reflecting white when subjected to the light, and reverts to
transparency in darkness. The collector forms a markedly cold surface
upon which dawn dew will precipitate. They are used by Fremen to line
concave planting depressions where they provide a small but reliable
source of water."
Juho Julkunen
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2017-04-14 21:03:38 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
reminded me how Luke Skywalker and his uncle and aunt managed to
survive on Tatooine...
I'm reminded of the dew collectors from Dune, in function if not in
method. The Fremen also had windtraps for larger scale water
collection, of course.
Seems like Delaney had something about dew collection in one of his
too. _Empire Star_, maybe?
2017-04-17 18:56:47 UTC
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by Quadibloc
This news story
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/technology/science/scientists-develop-system-that-can-convert-air-into-water/article34699352/
reminded me how Luke Skywalker and his uncle and aunt managed to survive on Tatooine...
I'm reminded of the dew collectors from Dune, in function if not in
method. The Fremen also had windtraps for larger scale water
collection, of course.
"Collectors or precipitators are egg-shaped devices about four
centimeters on the long axis. They are made of chromoplastic that turns
a reflecting white when subjected to the light, and reverts to
transparency in darkness. The collector forms a markedly cold surface
upon which dawn dew will precipitate. They are used by Fremen to line
concave planting depressions where they provide a small but reliable
source of water."
I've had moisture collectors in my house. We called
them "dehumidifiers." Probably not workable tech on
Arrakis or Tantooine.

Kevin R
Juho Julkunen
2017-04-17 19:21:45 UTC
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by Quadibloc
This news story
reminded me how Luke Skywalker and his uncle and aunt managed to survive on Tatooine...
I'm reminded of the dew collectors from Dune, in function if not in
method. The Fremen also had windtraps for larger scale water
collection, of course.
I've had moisture collectors in my house. We called
them "dehumidifiers." Probably not workable tech on
Arrakis or Tantooine.
Actually, I think the windtraps work on the same principle. They are
placed in path of prevailing winds, and precipitate moisture from the
air by refrigeration.

It's a long term project.
--
Juho Julkunen