Read in March 2017
2017-04-08 05:17:52 UTC
_Hot Lead, Cold Iron: A Mick Oberon Job Book 1_
by Ari Marmell
http://amzn.to/2oSfXtL

Here's a high concept: Make an exiled Fae a shamus in Prohibition era
Chicago. That's Mick Oberon (not O'Brian, thank you very much!)
our first person and fairly hard-boiled narrator. Not many people
realize Mick is a bit more than what he seems, but you know, those Italians
from the Old Country know a bit more than most, and Mick, needing a big
job quite badly, ends up working for a Mobster, searching for a missing
daughter who was probably the human side of a changeling swap some 18 years
past. To find her, he'll have to go back to Faery, a place he foreswore long
ago, and then face a completely unexpected threat on our side..

I'm on the line about Mick after two books. Being in our world *hurts*
him and he's always in a bad mood. The period is nice, and there are some
good moments in this book, but I kind of wish Mick would cheer up every
now and then, oh, and stop insulting humans in his constant asides.

_Hallow Point: A Mick Oberon Job Book 2_
by Ari Marmell
http://amzn.to/2oitNYC

This time the heavy hitters of the Fae all converge on Chicago (our Chicago,
though there's one on the Faery side as well), hunting for a long lost
Fae artifact whose possession may well tip the balance of power. Of course
nobody believes Mick when he says he's not looking for it, and then a
most unpleasant player calls in a most unpleasnt favor and suddenly he is.
But there's more going on than the artifact's possible resurfacing, and
it's up to Mick to put the pieces together, keep his promise withoug losing
his soul, and keep the Wild Hunt well away from the scene.

I liked Mick a bit more in this one, and he acquired an intriguing femme fatale
(something the first book was sorely missing: what's a hard-boiled PI story
without a dame?), but there seemed to be a lot of to-ing and fro-ing, and
the motivation for a lot of the plot seemed thin to me.

As I said, still on the line about these. I may try one more to see if it
really grabs me.

_Dungeon Crawl (The Twenty-Sided Sorceress Book 8)_
by Annie Bellet
http://amzn.to/2pcp7AF

Sorceress Jade Crow is back in a new plot arc after having (mostly) disposed
of her evil ex at the end of the first 7 book arc. This time, she gets
involved with vampire politics and necromancy. These books are always fairly
short and move along briskly, but this one seemed overly short and brisk.
I also thought the motivation for not carrying weapons at a crucial juncture
was very weak to nonexistent, especially as the characters all make references
to horror movie conventions. This one is pretty stand alone. There are
hanging threads, but if we're moving towards another arc, we're not quite there
yet.

_Trigger (Origin Book 1)_
by Scarlett Dawn
http://amzn.to/2nUTX0x

This one was recommended by Debra Dunbar on her email list. Young hyper
competent fighting girl falls for a lion shifter. Ilona Andrews is the
obvious referent, but really Dawn (pause to admire that pseudonym..)
is nowhere near to playing in that league. This book was very romancy
(fated mates!) and I never believed the girl was that competent. We're told
she is (when she's not being a klutz) but the Miles-like sequence that was
supposed to *show* us that was pretty unconvincing. The post-apoc world
building was very thin too, and the whole 'mates' thing, while explained,
was not explained very well, and I never quite understood the parameters.
I don't see what Dunbar saw, and I probably will not be following up on this.

_Nephilim Falling (Trenton Investigations)_
by Felicia Beasley
http://amzn.to/2obvq9Q

This is a Trenton Investigations prequel, which is rather odd since
as far as I know, aside from the lead novella, there is not yet a quel
to be pre to. I liked the novella, but this one did not grab me. I really
did not need to know about Lex's high school days, and neither her best
friend nor their shared love-interest/bone-of-contention were very interesting.
There also seemed like a *major* plot hole where Lex and said bone are
grabbed by a very powerful group of baddies, and we are told how their
wallets are taken (and car!), yet when they escape they go home without a
care in the world, never thinking that said baddies might, you know, look
at their ids and plates and show up. (And they never do). We do get a
bit of behind the scenes on the missing brother angle.

_The Middle Road (Spineward Sectors: Middleton's Pride Book 7)_
by Caleb Wachter
http://amzn.to/2oSFVNU

Halfway across the galaxy from the Spineward Sectors, Tim Middleton
and his crew (who have now accepted they are exiles and never going home)
are trying to ressurect the Gorgon Alliance against the Empire of Man.
It's going a bit better than before, and we get some interesting looks
at the big picture, but I'm really not finding this side series too compelling
any more.
Steve Coltrin
2017-04-08 18:17:27 UTC
begin fnord
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
_Dungeon Crawl (The Twenty-Sided Sorceress Book 8)_
But is she a regular icosahedron?
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
_The Middle Road (Spineward Sectors: Middleton's Pride Book 7)_
My brain will not allow that to not be 'Spinward'.
--
Steve Coltrin ***@omcl.org Google Groups killfiled here
"A group known as the League of Human Dignity helped arrange for Deuel
- Associated Press
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2017-04-08 18:24:16 UTC
Post by Steve Coltrin
begin fnord
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
_Dungeon Crawl (The Twenty-Sided Sorceress Book 8)_
But is she a regular icosahedron?
No, but her talisman is.
Post by Steve Coltrin
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
_The Middle Road (Spineward Sectors: Middleton's Pride Book 7)_
My brain will not allow that to not be 'Spinward'.
Eh, I don't think it makes any practical difference. Either way
just think "galactic backwater" and you have enough for the story.
Steve Coltrin
2017-04-08 21:45:51 UTC
begin fnord
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by Steve Coltrin
My brain will not allow that to not be 'Spinward'.
Eh, I don't think it makes any practical difference. Either way
just think "galactic backwater" and you have enough for the story.
Though the Spinward Marches are rather a happening place. If you squint,
they play the role for the Third Imperium that India through to Afghanistan
played for the British Empire.
- Associated Press
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2017-04-08 18:24:34 UTC
Post by Steve Coltrin
begin fnord
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
_The Middle Road (Spineward Sectors: Middleton's Pride Book 7)_
My brain will not allow that to not be 'Spinward'.
I misparsed as Spinward Marches and thought there was a conceptual typo.

Cheers - Jaimie
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.
David DeLaney
2017-04-09 06:28:07 UTC
Post by Steve Coltrin
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
_Dungeon Crawl (The Twenty-Sided Sorceress Book 8)_
But is she a regular icosahedron?
No but she wears one on a chain as a necklace; it serves her as a focus. Her
casting style - sorcerers each have their own way of looking at magic - is
based on D&D spells.

Dave, and luckily, she has a good deal of regeneration, plus the plot point
that sorcerers can't die unless another sorcerer eats their heart (which also
steals their power and knowledge)
gatekeeper.vic.com/~dbd - net.legends FAQ & Magic / I WUV you in all CAPS! --K.
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2017-04-09 06:48:12 UTC
Post by David DeLaney
Post by Steve Coltrin
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
_Dungeon Crawl (The Twenty-Sided Sorceress Book 8)_
But is she a regular icosahedron?
No but she wears one on a chain as a necklace; it serves her as a focus. Her
casting style - sorcerers each have their own way of looking at magic - is
based on D&D spells.
Dave, and luckily, she has a good deal of regeneration, plus the plot point
that sorcerers can't die unless another sorcerer eats their heart (which also
steals their power and knowledge)
--
They haven't dealt much with the "yeah but"s of this yet, though there
was a little speculation in this outing, and Jade herself doesn't know
2017-04-09 03:38:32 UTC
_Hallow Point: A Mick Oberon Job Book 2_
by Ari Marmell
http://amzn.to/2oitNYC
This time the heavy hitters of the Fae all converge on Chicago (our Chicago,
though there's one on the Faery side as well), hunting for a long lost
Fae artifact whose possession may well tip the balance of power.
Did they use it to "fix" the last World Series? :)

2017-04-09 04:58:37 UTC
_Hallow Point: A Mick Oberon Job Book 2_
by Ari Marmell
http://amzn.to/2oitNYC
This time the heavy hitters of the Fae all converge on Chicago (our Chicago,
though there's one on the Faery side as well), hunting for a long lost
Fae artifact whose possession may well tip the balance of power.
Did they use it to "fix" the last World Series? :)
Kevin R
It took me a *long* time to parse that. I was thinking "What, did Marmell
have another series called Last World that ended in a mess?" I went so
far as to check on Amazon for those books before realization clicked..