Goldilocks Isn't As Picky As She Used To Be
nuny@bid.nes
2017-02-28 22:58:02 UTC
Vulcanism can expand the habitable zone of a solar system:

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/2017/02/volcanic-hydrogen-spurs-chances-finding-exoplanet-life

TL;DR: Volcanic greenhouse gases like hydrogen can keep a planet or moon too far from a star for Earthlike insolation warm enough for life. The Goldilocks Zone is now half again what it used to be. Yay!

Mark L. Fergerson
Cryptoengineer
2017-03-01 03:10:33 UTC
Post by ***@bid.nes
http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/2017/02/volcanic-hydrogen-spurs-cha
nces-finding-exoplanet-life
TL;DR: Volcanic greenhouse gases like hydrogen can keep a planet or
moon too far from a star for Earthlike insolation warm enough for
life. The Goldilocks Zone is now half again what it used to be. Yay!
Problem is, Earth is teetering at the *inner* edge of the Solar System's
Goldilocks zone, not the outer.

pt
Kevrob
2017-03-02 00:13:04 UTC
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by ***@bid.nes
http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/2017/02/volcanic-hydrogen-spurs-cha
nces-finding-exoplanet-life
TL;DR: Volcanic greenhouse gases like hydrogen can keep a planet or
moon too far from a star for Earthlike insolation warm enough for
life. The Goldilocks Zone is now half again what it used to be. Yay!
Problem is, Earth is teetering at the *inner* edge of the Solar System's
Goldilocks zone, not the outer.
So, we have to get started on "planet moving" engines for when Sol
starts expanding, or find another place to keep our stuff!

Kevin R
Greg Goss
2017-03-02 15:43:03 UTC
Post by Kevrob
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by ***@bid.nes
http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/2017/02/volcanic-hydrogen-spurs-cha
nces-finding-exoplanet-life
TL;DR: Volcanic greenhouse gases like hydrogen can keep a planet or
moon too far from a star for Earthlike insolation warm enough for
life. The Goldilocks Zone is now half again what it used to be. Yay!
Problem is, Earth is teetering at the *inner* edge of the Solar System's
Goldilocks zone, not the outer.
So, we have to get started on "planet moving" engines for when Sol
starts expanding, or find another place to keep our stuff!
Of course, you can hang the planet moving engines on some OTHER planet
and move the earth around by gravity. It wasn't until my third
read-through of Children of the State that I realized that Niven had
shoved a hot rocket up Uranus.
Peter Trei
2017-03-02 15:50:33 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Kevrob
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by ***@bid.nes
http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/2017/02/volcanic-hydrogen-spurs-cha
nces-finding-exoplanet-life
TL;DR: Volcanic greenhouse gases like hydrogen can keep a planet or
moon too far from a star for Earthlike insolation warm enough for
life. The Goldilocks Zone is now half again what it used to be. Yay!
Problem is, Earth is teetering at the *inner* edge of the Solar System's
Goldilocks zone, not the outer.
So, we have to get started on "planet moving" engines for when Sol
starts expanding, or find another place to keep our stuff!
Of course, you can hang the planet moving engines on some OTHER planet
and move the earth around by gravity. It wasn't until my third
read-through of Children of the State that I realized that Niven had
shoved a hot rocket up Uranus.
That's definitely the best option. If you have the time, you could expand
Earth's orbit *very* gradually, without creating noticeable effects on the
planet.

I recall one story in Analog where some aliens are intent on rescuing earth
by installing Very Large Engines in Antartica, and accelerating us along the
axis or rotation. However, the force was such as to cause Very Bad Things
to happen to the ocean and atmosphere.

pt
James Nicoll
2017-03-02 16:07:56 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Kevrob
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by ***@bid.nes
[...]
Sins of the Fathers and Lifeboat Earth by Stanley Schmidt.
My Livejournal at http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll
nuny@bid.nes
2017-03-02 18:03:23 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Kevrob
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by ***@bid.nes
[...]
Yeah. Didn't do the geology any favors either.
Post by James Nicoll
Sins of the Fathers and Lifeboat Earth by Stanley Schmidt.
I loved the whole "apologetic alien invaders" twist. "We're very very sorry, but we have to totally fuck your world up in order to save it."

Mark L. Fergerson
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2017-03-02 18:07:06 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Kevrob
Post by James Nicoll
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Greg Goss
Post by James Nicoll
Sins of the Fathers and Lifeboat Earth by Stanley Schmidt.
I loved the whole "apologetic alien invaders" twist. "We're very very
sorry, but we have to totally fuck your world up in order to save it."
And you, no not you in general, you *there*, *you* have to approve it..
--
------
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..
Greg Goss
2017-03-03 16:01:27 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
I recall one story in Analog where some aliens are intent on rescuing earth
by installing Very Large Engines in Antartica, and accelerating us along the
axis or rotation. However, the force was such as to cause Very Bad Things
to happen to the ocean and atmosphere.
Sins of the Fathers / Schmidt