[Because My Tears Are Delicious To You] Thrice Upon a Time by James P. Hogan
2018-04-01 14:44:08 UTC
Thrice Upon a Time by James P. Hogan

https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/freeze-frame-pause-rewind-stop
2018-04-01 17:31:34 UTC
James Nicoll <***@panix.com> wrote:
> Thrice Upon a Time by James P. Hogan
>
> https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/freeze-frame-pause-rewind-stop

My re-read of "Methuselah's Children" (RAH) will get wrapped up later
today. Given your review, it's probably a good time for me to take
_Timescape_ (Benford) off my shelf once more to try to plow through it
once again. _Thrice Upon a Time_ (Hogan) is a favorite of mine. Perhaps
with the thrice trope firmly in mind this time the Benford will be read
to the bitter end.
On another note related to "Going Back to the Well Again" thread,
the Heinlein mentioned earlier in my followup has a semi-secret society
with one operational center under Lake Michigan. And "If This Goes On-"
also has a semi-secret society in an underground operational center.
On yet another note related to your open question about how
religions with specific leaders will deal with interstellar distances,
legend has it that St Thomas the Apostle was shipwrecked on the island
of Socotra. He brought Christianity to Socotra, which, due to its
remoteness, mostly fell outside of Rome's purview. So, for better or
worse, the island eventually wound up with a unique Socotra style of
Catholicism.
Socotra Catholicism brings to mind Catholicism, Mexican style. Let's
just say that, despite the Inet, there's a world of difference between
St. Patrick's Cathedral in Manhattan and the Catholic church in Veracruz
Mexico, which recently remade an Aztec goddess of the dead festival
into a Catholic event.
Two Episcopalian missionaries, Fathers Peregrine and Stone, appear
in "Fire Balloons" (Bradbury). Peregrine is chosen specifically because
of his flexibility, which implies that he'll mostly be on his own.

Don