Equality of the sexes in science fiction
The Zygon
2018-04-07 04:57:57 UTC
Has anyone ever read a science fiction story about a society in which men and women are really treated equally? I have read some in which it _said_ that men and women are equal. But one detects subtle differences in treatment in the story suggesting inequality.

The Federation in Star Trek is one such society. Men and women are supposedly treated equally. But I detect subtle, and sometimes no so subtle, hints that notions of chivalry still persist and women are not treated truly equally. There are also differences in treatment unrelated to the notion of "protection of women". However, I also noticed that the later the series, the less of it one sees. That was good trend.

I would also like to hear about cases where it is said that the sexes are equal, but you detect indications that they are not. Or found situations which flat out contradict the claim.
-dsr-
2018-04-07 11:02:46 UTC
On 2018-04-07, The Zygon <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone ever read a science fiction story about a society in which men and women are really treated equally? I have read some in which it _said_ that men and women are equal. But one detects subtle differences in treatment in the story suggesting inequality.

A few come to mind.

First, John Varley's Eight Worlds universe has cheap, convenient sex changing
universally available. There's no point in discriminating against someone for
being male or female, because they might be different next week.

Second, the Culture also has easy, free body transformations which results in
equality.

There are plenty of SFnal civilizations where biological sex is clearly
not an advantage or disadvantage: Weber's Honorverse seems to have about
as many women as men in political and military and economic leadership
roles. Civilizations with a bias are clearly less well-adjusted than Manticore.

Over in Brust's Dragaeran Empire, class and wealth differences are rampant but
gender equality appears to be the default.

-dsr-
h***@gmail.com
2018-04-07 11:37:09 UTC
On Saturday, April 7, 2018 at 9:08:06 PM UTC+10, -dsr- wrote:
> On 2018-04-07, The Zygon <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Has anyone ever read a science fiction story about a society in which men and women are really treated equally? I have read some in which it _said_ that men and women are equal. But one detects subtle differences in treatment in the story suggesting inequality.
> >

> A few come to mind.
>
> First, John Varley's Eight Worlds universe has cheap, convenient sex changing
> universally available. There's no point in discriminating against someone for
> being male or female, because they might be different next week.
>
> Second, the Culture also has easy, free body transformations which results in
> equality.
>
> There are plenty of SFnal civilizations where biological sex is clearly
> not an advantage or disadvantage: Weber's Honorverse seems to have about
> as many women as men in political and military and economic leadership
> roles. Civilizations with a bias are clearly less well-adjusted than Manticore.

But may be a lot more common.
Even in Manticore Honor's experiences in the academy suggest that the situation isn't perfect

true for the dragaerians, not so sure about the easterners
David Bridgham
2018-04-07 13:24:37 UTC

The Steerswoman series by Rosemary Kirstein comes to mind.
Wolffan
2018-04-07 16:14:16 UTC
On 07 Apr 2018, The Zygon wrote
(in article<a6ab0da5-b044-4ac0-9e51-***@googlegroups.com>):

> Has anyone ever read a science fiction story about a society in which men and
> women are really treated equally?

lots of them. Most of Weber’s and Drake’s and Stirling’s books have at
least relative gender equality _in some societies in the books_. This is NOT
to say that all in those societies is perfect; see further Honor Harrington
at the Academy in the first Honorverse book. This is NOT to say that other
societies are anything close to gender-nuetral; see pretty much the entire
_second_ Honorverse book. David Drake has long established that he really
doesn’t care what gender or orientation a character might have... unless
it’s important to the plot. Then he cares. Stirling _likes_ Bad Girls. See
further Gwen and Tayud and Adrienne and many, many more.

> I have read some in which it _said_ that
> men and women are equal. But one detects subtle differences in treatment in
> the story suggesting inequality.

Weber doesn’t do subtle; he named a character Rob S Pierre, and there’s a
reason why Honor’s initials are ‘HH'. Stirling does subtle when he feels
like it... but he also does matriarchies. Drake does 'bleed quietly and
don’t bother me or I’ll hurt you'.
Dorothy J Heydt
2018-04-07 16:19:02 UTC
The Zygon <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>Has anyone ever read a science fiction story about a society in which
>men and women are really treated equally? I have read some in which it
>_said_ that men and women are equal. But one detects subtle differences
>in treatment in the story suggesting inequality.
>
>The Federation in Star Trek is one such society. Men and women are
>supposedly treated equally. But I detect subtle, and sometimes no so
>subtle, hints that notions of chivalry still persist and women are not
>treated truly equally. There are also differences in treatment
>unrelated to the notion of "protection of women". However, I also
>noticed that the later the series, the less of it one sees. That was
>good trend.

I'll point out that ST:TOS aired in 1966. That in the original
pilot, "Number One" (Majel Barrett) was the first officer, and
the suits at the network wouldn't buy it. So Roddenberry
tinkered with the crew list some more; and the suits were willing
to accept a male second-in-command with pointy ears.

Roddenberry was ahead of his time. He pushed the edge of what
the networks would stand for as long as he lived; sometimes
successfully, sometimes not.

m***@sky.com
2018-04-07 17:48:04 UTC

In E.E.Smith's Universe of the Lens, we are told that sexual equality is a characteristic of civilization, and the Boskonian races typically have one dominant sex, with the Kalonians being told to groom the Lyranians for prominence for precisely this reason. However, by the standards of our time, human civilization would have a hard time even proving equality of opportunity, because women don't serve in the armed services and (with one exception) don't become Lensmen. This of course gives us the opportunity of denouncing E.E.Smith as a sexist pig and thereby proving that we have the only possible right answer to the associated problems. In fact, I suspect that there are several different groups, each with mutually inconsistent right answers, who would be prepared to do this :-)
p***@hotmail.com
2018-04-11 23:26:50 UTC
On Saturday, April 7, 2018 at 12:48:06 PM UTC-5, ***@sky.com wrote:
> On Saturday, April 7, 2018 at 5:57:59 AM UTC+1, The Zygon wrote:
> > Has anyone ever read a science fiction story about a society in which men and women are really treated equally? I have read some in which it _said_ that men and women are equal. But one detects subtle differences in treatment in the story suggesting inequality.
> >
> > I would also like to hear about cases where it is said that the sexes are equal, but you detect indications that they are not. Or found situations which flat out contradict the claim.
>
> In E.E.Smith's Universe of the Lens, we are told that sexual equality is a characteristic of civilization, and the Boskonian races typically have one dominant sex, with the Kalonians being told to groom the Lyranians for prominence for precisely this reason. However, by the standards of our time, human civilization would have a hard time even proving equality of opportunity, because women don't serve in the armed services and (with one exception) don't become Lensmen.

Nit-pick: If you consider the Galactic Patrol itself to be an armed
service, while women do not serve in the combat branches of the Patrol,
they do serve in the medical branch. In _Galactic Patrol_ it is mentioned
specifically that head nurse Clarissa MacDougal is a commissioned officer
of the Patrol and has the authority to accept the surrender of a group
of Boskonian defectors.

Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist
The Zygon
2018-04-14 04:17:24 UTC

I too consider the Lensman universe to be one in which claimed equality is not quite consistent with all the facts we have about that universe.
Christian Weisgerber
2018-04-07 19:20:50 UTC
On 2018-04-07, The Zygon <***@gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone ever read a science fiction story about a society in which men and women are really treated equally? I have read some in which it _said_ that men and women are equal. But one detects subtle differences in treatment in the story suggesting inequality.

How about stories where humans have gengineered themselves to reduce
sexual dimorphism? Sounds like a thing Iain M. Banks might mention
in passing about the Culture.

Christian "naddy" Weisgerber ***@mips.inka.de
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2018-04-07 20:49:35 UTC
In article <***@lorvorc.mips.inka.de>,
Christian Weisgerber <***@mips.inka.de> wrote:
>On 2018-04-07, The Zygon <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone ever read a science fiction story about a society in which
>men and women are really treated equally? I have read some in which it
>_said_ that men and women are equal. But one detects subtle differences
>in treatment in the story suggesting inequality.
>
>How about stories where humans have gengineered themselves to reduce
>sexual dimorphism? Sounds like a thing Iain M. Banks might mention
>in passing about the Culture.

Or alternately, Niven't "boys" & "girls" from _A World Out Of Time_.
Seperate but equal.
2018-04-09 00:16:44 UTC
***@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) wrote:

>In article <***@lorvorc.mips.inka.de>,
>Christian Weisgerber <***@mips.inka.de> wrote:
>>On 2018-04-07, The Zygon <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Has anyone ever read a science fiction story about a society in which
>>men and women are really treated equally? I have read some in which it
>>_said_ that men and women are equal. But one detects subtle differences
>>in treatment in the story suggesting inequality.
>>
>>How about stories where humans have gengineered themselves to reduce
>>sexual dimorphism? Sounds like a thing Iain M. Banks might mention
>>in passing about the Culture.
>>

>Or alternately, Niven't "boys" & "girls" from _A World Out Of Time_.
>Seperate but equal.

I think that's a quite different answer than everyone had in mind.
The girls controlled the breeding stock, but the boys controlled the
sky in an abruptly unstable solar system.
The Zygon
2018-04-10 07:00:01 UTC

Since they could switch sexes, I would think that alone would encourage equality of the sexes.
Robert Carnegie
2018-04-10 21:51:41 UTC
On Tuesday, 10 April 2018 08:00:04 UTC+1, The Zygon wrote:
> On Saturday, April 7, 2018 at 3:30:09 PM UTC-4, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> > On 2018-04-07, The Zygon <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Has anyone ever read a science fiction story about a society in which men and women are really treated equally? I have read some in which it _said_ that men and women are equal. But one detects subtle differences in treatment in the story suggesting inequality.
> >
> > How about stories where humans have gengineered themselves to reduce
> > sexual dimorphism? Sounds like a thing Iain M. Banks might mention
> > in passing about the Culture.
> >
> > --
> > Christian "naddy" Weisgerber ***@mips.inka.de
>
> Since they could switch sexes, I would think that alone
> would encourage equality of the sexes.

But in the setting, can you change what sex your mind is?
If it happens, is that a deliberate choice or an involuntary
evolution?

n real life, it doesn't seem that Earth women are seizing
equality by being turned into men. That is not a solution.
-dsr-
2018-04-10 23:06:53 UTC
On 2018-04-10, Robert Carnegie <***@excite.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, 10 April 2018 08:00:04 UTC+1, The Zygon wrote:

>> > How about stories where humans have gengineered themselves to reduce
>> > sexual dimorphism? Sounds like a thing Iain M. Banks might mention
>> > in passing about the Culture.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Christian "naddy" Weisgerber ***@mips.inka.de
>>
>> Since they could switch sexes, I would think that alone
>> would encourage equality of the sexes.
>
> But in the setting, can you change what sex your mind is?
> If it happens, is that a deliberate choice or an involuntary
> evolution?

In the setting, the question doesn't come up. People are people, and
they don't have a male mind or a female mind. They have male or female
bodies. Or hermaphrodite, or neuter, or probably a bunch of other things.

> n real life, it doesn't seem that Earth women are seizing
> equality by being turned into men. That is not a solution.

I think this is supposed to be a slur against sexual reassignment surgery,
but it's not too clear. Would you like to be more clear, and thus either
more or less callous?

-dsr-
Robert Carnegie
2018-04-11 03:21:03 UTC
On Wednesday, 11 April 2018 00:08:05 UTC+1, -dsr- wrote:
> On 2018-04-10, Robert Carnegie <***@excite.com> wrote:

> >> Since they could switch sexes, I would think that alone
> >> would encourage equality of the sexes.
> >
> > But in the setting, can you change what sex your mind is?
> > If it happens, is that a deliberate choice or an involuntary
> > evolution?
>
> In the setting, the question doesn't come up. People are people, and
> they don't have a male mind or a female mind. They have male or female
> bodies. Or hermaphrodite, or neuter, or probably a bunch of other things.
>
> > [In] real life, it doesn't seem that Earth women are seizing
> > equality by being turned into men. That is not a solution.
>
> I think this is supposed to be a slur against sexual reassignment surgery,
> but it's not too clear. Would you like to be more clear, and thus either
> more or less callous?

My arbitrary premise - which I don't actually expect to be accurate,
given the history of other such ideas, but which gets a handle on
the subject - on <https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/gender-dysphoria/>
is: natural selection has operated on the evolution of homo sapiens
to produce individuals mentally and physically to function as
reproductive males, or as females, or, in the case of Bertie Wooster,
as drones. Each outcome depends on effects of genes and hormones
during foetal development, and later - this needn't be the whole
story, but it leads to most of us being born with an identifiable
sex physiologically - but it isn't a perfect process, and a significant
number of us are born with ambiguous bits (and not necessarily
allowed to stay that way).

Our brain is not visible at birth and its sexual identity may be
not directly detectable, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't have
a sexual identity, nor, on the other hand, that it is reliably binary.

I think this isn't going where I wanted it to. My point is
that generally - as far as I know - female feminists don't want
to be men; they want to be women but without suffering arbitrary
disadvantages in society imposed on women. Although they may
also want to wear trousers... but in a few years from now, that
may be uncontroversial.

A flaw in my argument is that even the British NHS doesn't offer
free sex reassignment surgery to women just to improve their chance
of a promotion at work or as an arbitrary personal choice, and
Iain M. Banks's fictional Culture basically does. So in fact it
can be said that a reason for most women not becoming men to avoid
sexual discrimination is that it is not made convenient to do it.
But if it was made convenient, what would be the additional take-up?
David DeLaney
2018-04-11 07:27:56 UTC
On 2018-04-11, Robert Carnegie <***@excite.com> wrote:
> to produce individuals mentally and physically to function as
> reproductive males, or as females, or, in the case of Bertie Wooster,
> as drones.

ObFantasy: Carriger's _Soulless_ series and its sequelae. Vampires and
werewolves and the protagonist, who is neither, and who can nullify either
one by touch. The relevant part being that master vampires gather a coterie
of drones as their household; the one we encounter most, well, his are good-
looking young men...

> Each outcome depends on effects of genes and hormones
> during foetal development, and later - this needn't be the whole
> story, but it leads to most of us being born with an identifiable
> sex physiologically - but it isn't a perfect process, and a significant
> number of us are born with ambiguous bits (and not necessarily
> allowed to stay that way).

So what's gonna happen when the mind is gestated digitally, and eventually
loaded into a cloned-style body if it wants to be? How many genders can you
have in eleven dimensions? (See also the spren in Sanderson's Way of Kings
setting, which reveals in this third book that the old ones from before humans
imagined them have not two genders but four.)

> generally - as far as I know - female feminists don't want
> to be men; they want to be women but without suffering arbitrary
> disadvantages in society imposed on women.

Yes, exactly. Cue Quadliboc in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

> But if it was made convenient, what would be the additional take-up?

Dave, all the more for me, mua ha haaaa!
2018-04-11 20:26:21 UTC
Of course women who seek equality are not the same group of people as women who seek gender reassignment.

However, I don't see how that diminishes the point that on an alien
planet, where there is only one kind of intelligent being, members of that
race being able to alter their reproductive function from male to
female and vice versa at will, sex discrimination would not be a thing.

Instead, the point which might be made is that such a situation lacks
relevance to how we might achieve greater equality among ourselves, who are not in this situation.
Robert Carnegie
2018-04-11 20:33:24 UTC
On Wednesday, 11 April 2018 21:26:24 UTC+1, Quadibloc wrote:
> Of course women who seek equality are not the same group of people as women who seek gender reassignment.
>
> However, I don't see how that diminishes the point that on an alien
> planet, where there is only one kind of intelligent being, members of that
> race being able to alter their reproductive function from male to
> female and vice versa at will, sex discrimination would not be a thing.
>
> Instead, the point which might be made is that such a situation lacks
> relevance to how we might achieve greater equality among ourselves, who are not in this situation.

On Earth we have age discrimination. And everyone changes their
age, although not by choice.

We discriminate by "race" characteristics, and some people
spend their own money changing those; we also discriminate
on sexuality, and while relatively few people try to change
/that/, they do try to pass as the non-discriminated class.
J. Clarke
2018-04-12 01:57:39 UTC

Are you saying that some percentage of women "try to pass" as men?
David Johnston
2018-04-12 02:24:58 UTC

Sex is not the same thing as sexuality.
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
2018-04-11 21:40:10 UTC
Quadibloc <***@ecn.ab.ca> wrote in

> Of course women who seek equality are not the same group of
> people as women who seek gender reassignment.

I suspect they're not mutually exclusive, though the overlap may be
small. (One of the motivations for reassignment surgery could easily
be a desire for equality with men.)

> However, I don't see how that diminishes the point that on an
> alien planet, where there is only one kind of intelligent being,
> members of that race being able to alter their reproductive
> function from male to female and vice versa at will, sex
> discrimination would not be a thing.

Does not logically follow. There could be considerable discrimination
between the two (or more) sexes, but some reason more compelling than
avoiding it for occasionally adopting the discriminated against
gender. (Perhaps there's a biological need to do so, even if the
exact timing is consciously controlled.)

> Instead, the point which might be made is that such a situation
> lacks relevance to how we might achieve greater equality among
> ourselves, who are not in this situation.

This entire discussion is about as pointless as most here.

Joy Beeson
2018-04-13 00:58:45 UTC
On Tue, 10 Apr 2018 20:21:03 -0700 (PDT), Robert Carnegie
<***@excite.com> wrote:

> Although they may
> also want to wear trousers... but in a few years from now, that
> may be uncontroversial.

It is already attention getting to wear a skirt -- even to attend
services at a church that sponsors field trips to the Creation Museum.

Which is a pity. A full skirt can conceal enough pockets to carry
your lunch and everything you could fit into a knitting bag.

And in cold weather, after you've put on as many pairs of trousers as
you can waddle in, you can still add half a dozen skirts.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/
Lynn McGuire
2018-04-13 02:23:26 UTC
On 4/12/2018 7:58 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Apr 2018 20:21:03 -0700 (PDT), Robert Carnegie
> <***@excite.com> wrote:
>
>> Although they may
>> also want to wear trousers... but in a few years from now, that
>> may be uncontroversial.
>
> It is already attention getting to wear a skirt -- even to attend
> services at a church that sponsors field trips to the Creation Museum.
>
> Which is a pity. A full skirt can conceal enough pockets to carry
> your lunch and everything you could fit into a knitting bag.
>
> And in cold weather, after you've put on as many pairs of trousers as
> you can waddle in, you can still add half a dozen skirts.

At my conservative church of 2,500 people, half of the ladies wear
skirts / dresses and the other half wear pants.

Do you live at one of the Poles for that kind of cold weather ?

2018-04-13 03:14:39 UTC
In article <pap4b2$bql$***@dont-email.me>,
Lynn McGuire <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 4/12/2018 7:58 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:
>> On Tue, 10 Apr 2018 20:21:03 -0700 (PDT), Robert Carnegie
>> <***@excite.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Although they may
>>> also want to wear trousers... but in a few years from now, that
>>> may be uncontroversial.
>>
>> It is already attention getting to wear a skirt -- even to attend
>> services at a church that sponsors field trips to the Creation Museum.
>>
>> Which is a pity. A full skirt can conceal enough pockets to carry
>> your lunch and everything you could fit into a knitting bag.
>>
>> And in cold weather, after you've put on as many pairs of trousers as
>> you can waddle in, you can still add half a dozen skirts.
>
>At my conservative church of 2,500 people, half of the ladies wear
>skirts / dresses and the other half wear pants.
>
>Do you live at one of the Poles for that kind of cold weather ?

I get the impression you get that kind of weather anywhere in the
northern US and all of Canada. And of course the further you get
downwind from the Pacific Ocean, the worse it gets.

Joy Beeson
2018-04-16 00:48:12 UTC
On Thu, 12 Apr 2018 21:23:26 -0500, Lynn McGuire
<***@gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you live at one of the Poles for that kind of cold weather ?

I rarely wear more than silk tights, sweat pants, and two skirts. It
didn't get even that cold this winter -- but then, a case of "there's
a lot of that going around" kept me indoors all through January.

http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/
Robert Carnegie
2018-04-13 02:47:08 UTC
On Friday, 13 April 2018 03:00:48 UTC+1, Joy Beeson wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Apr 2018 20:21:03 -0700 (PDT), Robert Carnegie
> <***@excite.com> wrote:
>
> > Although they may
> > also want to wear trousers... but in a few years from now, that
> > may be uncontroversial.
>
> It is already attention getting to wear a skirt -- even to attend
> services at a church that sponsors field trips to the Creation Museum.
>
> Which is a pity. A full skirt can conceal enough pockets to carry
> your lunch and everything you could fit into a knitting bag.
>
> And in cold weather, after you've put on as many pairs of trousers as
> you can waddle in, you can still add half a dozen skirts.

What I had in mind is, I believe one of the Far East airlines just
agreed to let female staff wear trousers... but not yet.
Lynn McGuire
2018-04-10 23:40:02 UTC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2416088/Transgender-German-man-Europe-baby-boy-following-home-birth.html

Lynn
Default User
2018-04-09 21:36:55 UTC
The Zygon wrote:

> Has anyone ever read a science fiction story about a society in which
> men and women are really treated equally? I have read some in which
> it said that men and women are equal. But one detects subtle
> differences in treatment in the story suggesting inequality.

The obvious recent candidate is Leckie's Ancillary series. Not only do
the Radchaai have equality, there is little outward difference in dress
and manner. The language has no pronouns that distinguish gender.

For the most part, we never know what sex any Radchaai is. Only a few
are identified in the books:

Anaander Mianaai (male in most of her bodies) because a non-Radchaai
refers to her as "he" and it's mentioned that she has a baritone voice.

Seivarden (also male) because Breq has personal experience during their
service together on Justice of Toren. I don't want to spoil much for
those who haven't read them.

Breq is hinted to be female in the books and that's confirmed in a
separate short story.

Breq, when on other worlds where there are such differences, has a fair
bit of difficulty telling the difference between men and women. And she
has a lot of experience. Other Radchaai would probably have no clue (or
much interest).

> I would also like to hear about cases where it is said that the sexes
> are equal, but you detect indications that they are not. Or found
> situations which flat out contradict the claim.

Continuing, Breq notes that on worlds where there is supposed equality,
you still don't want to make a mistake as the locals get very offended.

Brian
Christian Weisgerber
2018-04-09 22:27:21 UTC
On 2018-04-09, Default User <***@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The obvious recent candidate is Leckie's Ancillary series. Not only do
> the Radchaai have equality, there is little outward difference in dress
> and manner. The language has no pronouns that distinguish gender.

That is a common property in human languages and has fuck all to
do with gender equality.

"Sex-based and Non-sex-based Gender Systems"
http://wals.info/feature/31A#1/26/148

Christian "naddy" Weisgerber ***@mips.inka.de
2018-04-09 23:56:31 UTC
Christian Weisgerber wrote:

> On 2018-04-09, Default User <***@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > The obvious recent candidate is Leckie's Ancillary series. Not only
> > do the Radchaai have equality, there is little outward difference
> > in dress and manner. The language has no pronouns that distinguish
> > gender.
>
> That is a common property in human languages and has fuck all to
> do with gender equality.
>
> "Sex-based and Non-sex-based Gender Systems"
> http://wals.info/feature/31A#1/26/148

Are you sure that means the same thing? This has no pronouns at all
with sex differention. So no man or woman, only person. No brother or
sister, only sibling. No mother or father, only parent.

With no way to refer to a difference and little way to detect it by
other cues, equality pretty much has to follow.

Brian
Christian Weisgerber
2018-04-10 12:26:08 UTC
On 2018-04-09, Default User <***@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Are you sure that means the same thing? This has no pronouns at all
> with sex differention. So no man or woman, only person. No brother or
> sister, only sibling. No mother or father, only parent.

I think you are confused what a "pronoun" is.

Christian "naddy" Weisgerber ***@mips.inka.de
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2018-04-10 15:58:26 UTC
In article <***@lorvorc.mips.inka.de>,
Christian Weisgerber <***@mips.inka.de> wrote:
>On 2018-04-09, Default User <***@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Are you sure that means the same thing? This has no pronouns at all
>> with sex differention. So no man or woman, only person. No brother or
>> sister, only sibling. No mother or father, only parent.
>
>I think you are confused what a "pronoun" is.

Ah *HA!* (pregnant pause) Pronoun Trouble..."
Anthony Nance
2018-04-10 18:41:14 UTC

So shoot me now!
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2018-04-10 18:52:41 UTC
In article <paj0ga$39q$***@dont-email.me>,
Anthony Nance <***@math.ohio-state.edu> wrote:
>Ted Nolan <tednolan> <***@loft.tnolan.com> wrote:
>> In article <***@lorvorc.mips.inka.de>,
>> Christian Weisgerber <***@mips.inka.de> wrote:

>>>I think you are confused what a "pronoun" is.
>>>

>> Ah *HA!* (pregnant pause) Pronoun Trouble..."
>
>So shoot me now!

No, wait till you get home..
Anthony Nance
2018-04-11 11:48:57 UTC

We're despicable!
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2018-04-11 15:57:31 UTC
In article <paksn9$evv$***@dont-email.me>,
Anthony Nance <***@math.ohio-state.edu> wrote:
>Ted Nolan <tednolan> <***@loft.tnolan.com> wrote:
>> In article <paj0ga$39q$***@dont-email.me>,
>> Anthony Nance <***@math.ohio-state.edu> wrote:

>>>So shoot me now!
>>
>> No, wait till you get home..
>
>We're despicable!

Sheer honesty..
2018-04-10 19:25:55 UTC
Christian Weisgerber wrote:

> On 2018-04-09, Default User <***@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Are you sure that means the same thing? This has no pronouns at all
> > with sex differention. So no man or woman, only person. No brother
> > or sister, only sibling. No mother or father, only parent.
>
> I think you are confused what a "pronoun" is.

It's pronouns and nouns. It would be clearer if you read the books.
Leckie chose to use "she" and "her" for all cases. There's no way in
the language to differentiate between the sexes.

Brian
David DeLaney
2018-04-11 07:20:58 UTC
On 2018-04-10, Christian Weisgerber <***@mips.inka.de> wrote:
> On 2018-04-09, Default User <***@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Are you sure that means the same thing? This has no pronouns at all
>> with sex differention. So no man or woman, only person. No brother or
>> sister, only sibling. No mother or father, only parent.
>
> I think you are confused what a "pronoun" is.

He or she may be, but the point was that that language also didn't HAVE he,
OR she, or their inflected forms. Just neuter pronouns. It's not uncommon for
Earthly languages to have neuter pronouns _along with_ the gendered ones; that
isn't what's being explored here.

Dave, cis-male
Garrett Wollman
2018-04-11 17:39:05 UTC
In article <yo-dnUHZ45jHKlDHnZ2dnUU7-***@earthlink.com>,
David DeLaney <***@gmail.com> wrote:

>He or she may be, but the point was that that language also didn't HAVE he,
>OR she, or their inflected forms. Just neuter pronouns. It's not uncommon for
>Earthly languages to have neuter pronouns _along with_ the gendered ones; that
>isn't what's being explored here.

It's not uncommon for Earthly languages to have gendered pronouns that
are not Indo-European two-or-three-way sex-gendered. E.g., separate
pronouns for animate and inanimate is a thing. (Or human/non-human,
as in formal Finnish.)

-GAWollman

***@bimajority.org| act to remove constraint from the future. This is
Lawrence Watt-Evans
2018-04-11 19:52:28 UTC
On Wed, 11 Apr 2018 17:39:05 +0000 (UTC), ***@bimajority.org
(Garrett Wollman) wrote:

>In article <yo-dnUHZ45jHKlDHnZ2dnUU7-***@earthlink.com>,
>David DeLaney <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>He or she may be, but the point was that that language also didn't HAVE he,
>>OR she, or their inflected forms. Just neuter pronouns. It's not uncommon for
>>Earthly languages to have neuter pronouns _along with_ the gendered ones; that
>>isn't what's being explored here.
>
>It's not uncommon for Earthly languages to have gendered pronouns that
>are not Indo-European two-or-three-way sex-gendered. E.g., separate
>pronouns for animate and inanimate is a thing. (Or human/non-human,
>as in formal Finnish.)

My understanding is that Swahili has eight categories of nouns, and
the only reason they aren't considered genders is that eight is too
many; it squicks linguists out.

My latest novel is Stone Unturned: A Legend of Ethshar.
See http://www.ethshar.com/StoneUnturned.shtml
Peter Trei
2018-04-11 20:17:40 UTC
On Wednesday, April 11, 2018 at 3:52:30 PM UTC-4, Lawrence Watt-Evans wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2018 17:39:05 +0000 (UTC), ***@bimajority.org
> (Garrett Wollman) wrote:
>
> >In article <yo-dnUHZ45jHKlDHnZ2dnUU7-***@earthlink.com>,
> >David DeLaney <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >>He or she may be, but the point was that that language also didn't HAVE he,
> >>OR she, or their inflected forms. Just neuter pronouns. It's not uncommon for
> >>Earthly languages to have neuter pronouns _along with_ the gendered ones; that
> >>isn't what's being explored here.
> >
> >It's not uncommon for Earthly languages to have gendered pronouns that
> >are not Indo-European two-or-three-way sex-gendered. E.g., separate
> >pronouns for animate and inanimate is a thing. (Or human/non-human,
> >as in formal Finnish.)
>
> My understanding is that Swahili has eight categories of nouns, and
> the only reason they aren't considered genders is that eight is too
> many; it squicks linguists out.

Am I the only one who is astonished that Quaddy hasn't joined this thread?

2018-04-11 20:23:36 UTC
On 4/11/2018 1:17 PM, Peter Trei wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 11, 2018 at 3:52:30 PM UTC-4, Lawrence Watt-Evans wrote:
>> On Wed, 11 Apr 2018 17:39:05 +0000 (UTC), ***@bimajority.org
>> (Garrett Wollman) wrote:

>>> It's not uncommon for Earthly languages to have gendered pronouns that
>>> are not Indo-European two-or-three-way sex-gendered. E.g., separate
>>> pronouns for animate and inanimate is a thing. (Or human/non-human,
>>> as in formal Finnish.)
>>
>> My understanding is that Swahili has eight categories of nouns, and
>> the only reason they aren't considered genders is that eight is too
>> many; it squicks linguists out.
>
> Am I the only one who is astonished that Quaddy hasn't joined this thread?

Don't speak the Devil's name!

2018-04-11 21:36:37 UTC
Dimensional Traveler <***@sonic.net> wrote in

> On 4/11/2018 1:17 PM, Peter Trei wrote:
>> On Wednesday, April 11, 2018 at 3:52:30 PM UTC-4, Lawrence
>> Watt-Evans wrote:

>>> My understanding is that Swahili has eight categories of
>>> nouns, and the only reason they aren't considered genders is
>>> that eight is too many; it squicks linguists out.
>>
>> Am I the only one who is astonished that Quaddy hasn't joined
>> this thread?
>>
> Don't speak the Devil's name!

Hastur! Hastur! Hastur!

We should be safe now. Saf*er*, anyway.

2018-04-12 01:48:32 UTC
On Wednesday, April 11, 2018 at 3:36:40 PM UTC-6, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
> Dimensional Traveler <***@sonic.net> wrote in
> > On 4/11/2018 1:17 PM, Peter Trei wrote:

> >> Am I the only one who is astonished that Quaddy hasn't joined
> >> this thread?

> > Don't speak the Devil's name!

> Hastur! Hastur! Hastur!

> We should be safe now. Saf*er*, anyway.

Allow me to help.

Perhaps what you meant to say was:

Iä! Iä! Hastur cv'ayak 'vulgtmm, vugtlagln, vulgtmm! Ai! Ai! Hastur!

...at least, if August Derleth is to be believed.

But perhaps that incantation is not meant for warding, but instead summons
bat-like and man-like creatures to fly you to a place of relative safety.

But it may not work if not preceded by the correct whistling ululation.

John Savard
Ninapenda Jibini
2018-04-12 06:06:41 UTC
Quadibloc <***@ecn.ab.ca> wrote in

> On Wednesday, April 11, 2018 at 3:36:40 PM UTC-6, Jibini Kula
> Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
>> Dimensional Traveler <***@sonic.net> wrote in

>> > Don't speak the Devil's name!
>
>> Hastur! Hastur! Hastur!
>
>> We should be safe now. Saf*er*, anyway.
>
> Allow me to help.
>
> Perhaps what you meant to say was:
>
> IÀ! IÀ! Hastur cv'ayak 'vulgtmm, vugtlagln, vulgtmm! Ai! Ai!
> Hastur!
>
> ...at least, if August Derleth is to be believed.
>
> But perhaps that incantation is not meant for warding, but
> instead summons bat-like and man-like creatures to fly you to a
> place of relative safety.
>
> But it may not work if not preceded by the correct whistling
> ululation.

I figured that having my soul eaten by an elder god would be less
painful than reading another of your posts.

2018-04-12 16:06:12 UTC
On 4/11/2018 11:06 PM, Ninapenda Jibini wrote:
> Quadibloc <***@ecn.ab.ca> wrote in
>
>> On Wednesday, April 11, 2018 at 3:36:40 PM UTC-6, Jibini Kula
>> Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
>>> Dimensional Traveler <***@sonic.net> wrote in

>>> Hastur! Hastur! Hastur!
>>
>>> We should be safe now. Saf*er*, anyway.
>>
>> Allow me to help.
>>
>> Perhaps what you meant to say was:
>>
>> Iä! Iä! Hastur cv'ayak 'vulgtmm, vugtlagln, vulgtmm! Ai! Ai!
>> Hastur!
>>
>> ...at least, if August Derleth is to be believed.
>>
>> But perhaps that incantation is not meant for warding, but
>> instead summons bat-like and man-like creatures to fly you to a
>> place of relative safety.
>>
>> But it may not work if not preceded by the correct whistling
>> ululation.
>>
> I figured that having my soul eaten by an elder god would be less
> painful than reading another of your posts.

You can blame Peter.

2018-04-12 16:17:38 UTC

> On 4/11/2018 11:06 PM, Ninapenda Jibini wrote:
>> Quadibloc <***@ecn.ab.ca> wrote in

>>> Allow me to help.
>>>
>>> Perhaps what you meant to say was:
>>>
>>> IÀ! IÀ! Hastur cv'ayak 'vulgtmm, vugtlagln, vulgtmm! Ai!
>>> Ai! Hastur!
>>>
>>> ...at least, if August Derleth is to be believed.
>>>
>>> But perhaps that incantation is not meant for warding, but
>>> instead summons bat-like and man-like creatures to fly you to
>>> a place of relative safety.
>>>
>>> But it may not work if not preceded by the correct whistling
>>> ululation.
>>>
>> I figured that having my soul eaten by an elder god would be
>> less painful than reading another of your posts.
>>
> You can blame Peter.

Certainly I can. Whether there's any evidence he's responsible or
not. (And it's actually more amusing if he's not.)

2018-04-18 17:05:13 UTC
On Wednesday, April 11, 2018 at 7:48:35 PM UTC-6, Quadibloc wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 11, 2018 at 3:36:40 PM UTC-6, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
> > Dimensional Traveler <***@sonic.net> wrote in

> > > Don't speak the Devil's name!
>
> > Hastur! Hastur! Hastur!
>
> > We should be safe now. Saf*er*, anyway.
>
> Allow me to help.
>
> Perhaps what you meant to say was:
>
> Iä! Iä! Hastur cv'ayak 'vulgtmm, vugtlagln, vulgtmm! Ai! Ai! Hastur!
>
> ...at least, if August Derleth is to be believed.
>
> But perhaps that incantation is not meant for warding, but instead summons
> bat-like and man-like creatures to fly you to a place of relative safety.
>
> But it may not work if not preceded by the correct whistling ululation.

Oops! I forgot the part about being tortured if you don't bring the correct
star-shaped amulet with you.

John Savard
Garrett Wollman
2018-04-11 20:49:13 UTC
In article <***@reader80.eternal-september.org>,
Lawrence Watt-Evans <***@gmail.com> wrote:

>My understanding is that Swahili has eight categories of nouns, and
>the only reason they aren't considered genders is that eight is too
>many; it squicks linguists out.

Not really. Some linguists use the term "gender" for any system of
noun classification (by analogy with the French and Latin where the
cognate word just means "kind" or "variety"), and other linguists
reserve "gender" for noun classification systems that roughly parallel
the Indo-European two-or-three-gender system. The term "gender" is
also used for the sort of animate/inanimate classification that is
sometimes observed even in languages that have the other system too --
as with English relative pronouns 'who' and 'which'.

(Reconstructed Proto-Indo-European had a three-gender system, but this
collapsed to two genders in early Proto-Germanic before a third gender
was reintroduced. This is why the grammatical genders don't precisely
line up between Germanic languages and other IE language families.)

Christian Weisgerber
2018-04-12 16:27:49 UTC
On 2018-04-11, Garrett Wollman <***@bimajority.org> wrote:

> (Reconstructed Proto-Indo-European had a three-gender system,

Yes.

> but this collapsed to two genders in early Proto-Germanic before
> a third gender was reintroduced.

Huh? Where do you get that strange notion from? Much of the PIE
nominal system was conserved straight through to PGmc; see Don
Ringe, _From Proto-Indo-European to Proto-Germanic_ for the
excruciating details.

> This is why the grammatical genders don't precisely
> line up between Germanic languages and other IE language families.)

I'm not aware of anything remarkable in this regard.

Even when the gender system as such is conserved, it is not that
unusual for words to move between genders/declension classes over
time. For instance, the West Germanic (e.g. German, Old English)
"apple" word is masculine, but it is neuter in North Germanic. I
don't have a handy list, but there are numerous nouns that changed
gender between Old High German and Modern German. Similarly from
Latin to French, e.g. potio(nem) (f) > poison (m).

Christian "naddy" Weisgerber ***@mips.inka.de
Garrett Wollman
2018-04-12 19:39:18 UTC
In article <***@lorvorc.mips.inka.de>,
Christian Weisgerber <***@mips.inka.de> wrote:

>Huh? Where do you get that strange notion from?

Misremembering something I read, probably, and being determined not to
get ratholed re-verifying my memory for a throwaway Usenet post.

My memory says that something like modern neuters evolved from an old
feminine plural -- or maybe the other way around -- but I couldn't
says what that's a (possibly distorted) memory of.

Christian Weisgerber
2018-04-13 15:33:57 UTC
On 2018-04-12, Garrett Wollman <***@bimajority.org> wrote:

[Proto-Indo-European > Proto-Germanic]
> My memory says that something like modern neuters evolved from an old
> feminine plural -- or maybe the other way around --

Yes, there's a suffix *-h₂- which formed a neuter collective, later
reinterpreted as neuter plural, and is also associated with productive
feminine forms. There are reasons to assume that at an earlier
stage there was only an animate (> masculine) and inanimate (> neuter)
distinction, with the feminine arising later. Anyway, this is all
within the realm of Proto-Indo-European; Proto-Germanic inherited
the gender system and did not innovate there.

Christian "naddy" Weisgerber ***@mips.inka.de
Joy Beeson
2018-04-13 00:58:00 UTC
On Wed, 11 Apr 2018 15:52:28 -0400, Lawrence Watt-Evans
<***@gmail.com> wrote:

> My understanding is that Swahili has eight categories of nouns, and
> the only reason they aren't considered genders is that eight is too
> many; it squicks linguists out.

Can't imagine why; there are critters that have eight sexes.

http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/
Dorothy J Heydt
2018-04-13 03:20:06 UTC
In article <***@4ax.com>,
Joy Beeson <***@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:
>On Wed, 11 Apr 2018 15:52:28 -0400, Lawrence Watt-Evans
><***@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> My understanding is that Swahili has eight categories of nouns, and
>> the only reason they aren't considered genders is that eight is too
>> many; it squicks linguists out.
>
>Can't imagine why; there are critters that have eight sexes.

A quick glance at the article in Wikipedia indicates that some of
the noun classes include two genders, artifacts, and diminutives.
The diminutive class also seems to include nouns with the meaning
of "sort of". Then there's one for living things neither human
nor animal (plants, e.g.) and one for groups of humans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swahili_language#Noun_classes

2018-04-15 06:33:57 UTC
On 2018-04-13, Dorothy J Heydt <***@kithrup.com> wrote:
> A quick glance at the article in Wikipedia indicates that some of
> the noun classes include two genders, artifacts, and diminutives.
> The diminutive class also seems to include nouns with the meaning
> of "sort of". Then there's one for living things neither human
> nor animal (plants, e.g.) and one for groups of humans.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swahili_language#Noun_classes

And starting with those that belong to the Emperor?

Dave, the celestial emporium of benevolent fake news
2018-04-16 03:33:01 UTC
That would be Japanese, not Swahili. I see "Ubuntu" came from Zulu, but it's missing noun classes 17 and 18 which are atrophied in Swahili...
luckily I've been able to find an old 800-page book comparing the various
Bantu and semi-Bantu languages on the Internet Archive, and I may be able
to satiate my idle curiosity through skimming it...

Yes, I do visit TV Tropes on occasion; why do you ask?
Quadibloc
2018-04-16 15:24:45 UTC
Oh, dear, it's actually a two-volume work.

https://archive.org/details/comparativestudy01johnuoft
https://archive.org/details/comparativestudy02john
Panthera Tigris Altaica
2018-04-16 15:32:03 UTC
On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 11:24:47 AM UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:
> Oh, dear, it's actually a two-volume work.
>
> https://archive.org/details/comparativestudy01johnuoft
> https://archive.org/details/comparativestudy02john

What are you talking about? You insist on trimming everything before you reply. This gives no context. Those of us who don't use threaded newsreaders cannot tell which post you're replying to, and so have no bloody clue what the hell you're on about, if anything. We therefore tend to ignore you, as you go out of your way to make things difficult.

I note that I am not the first to point this out to you. I suspect that I will not be the last, as it seems that it would take hyper-velocity discarding-sabot depleted-uranium long-rod penetrators to penetrate your skull.
Quadibloc
2018-04-16 17:32:42 UTC
On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 9:32:06 AM UTC-6, Panthera Tigris Altaica wrote:
> On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 11:24:47 AM UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:
> > Oh, dear, it's actually a two-volume work.
> >
> > https://archive.org/details/comparativestudy01johnuoft
> > https://archive.org/details/comparativestudy02john
>
> What are you talking about?

to this...

On Sunday, April 15, 2018 at 12:34:05 AM UTC-6, David DeLaney wrote:
> On 2018-04-13, Dorothy J Heydt <***@kithrup.com> wrote:
> > A quick glance at the article in Wikipedia indicates that some of
> > the noun classes include two genders, artifacts, and diminutives.
> > The diminutive class also seems to include nouns with the meaning
> > of "sort of". Then there's one for living things neither human
> > nor animal (plants, e.g.) and one for groups of humans.
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swahili_language#Noun_classes
>
> And starting with those that belong to the Emperor?
>
> Dave, the celestial emporium of benevolent fake news

...I had replied that I looked up a book about languages related to Swahili.

Many newsreaders show articles in a "tree view", so that the article to which a
post is a reply is immediately above it, and it's not necessary to repeat
anything to provide context.

2018-04-16 18:07:59 UTC
On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 1:32:46 PM UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:
> On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 9:32:06 AM UTC-6, Panthera Tigris Altaica wrote:
> > On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 11:24:47 AM UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:
> > > Oh, dear, it's actually a two-volume work.
> > >
> > > https://archive.org/details/comparativestudy01johnuoft
> > > https://archive.org/details/comparativestudy02john
> >
> > What are you talking about?
>
> to this...
>
> On Sunday, April 15, 2018 at 12:34:05 AM UTC-6, David DeLaney wrote:
> > On 2018-04-13, Dorothy J Heydt <***@kithrup.com> wrote:
> > > A quick glance at the article in Wikipedia indicates that some of
> > > the noun classes include two genders, artifacts, and diminutives.
> > > The diminutive class also seems to include nouns with the meaning
> > > of "sort of". Then there's one for living things neither human
> > > nor animal (plants, e.g.) and one for groups of humans.
> > >
> > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swahili_language#Noun_classes
> >
> > And starting with those that belong to the Emperor?
> >
> > Dave, the celestial emporium of benevolent fake news
>
> ...I had replied that I looked up a book about languages related to Swahili.
>
> Many newsreaders show articles in a "tree view", so that the article to which a
> post is a reply is immediately above it, and it's not necessary to repeat
> anything to provide context.

Patronize much?

Some do.

Some don't (forex, Google Groups). I guess you don't care if they
have no idea what you're talking about.

Also, even the tree-supporting ones don't display the content of the
replied-to message if it's already been read.

If I come back to a thread after several hours, and your context-free
one-liner response is all that I can see without further exploration of
the read-and-dead previous messages, you're placing an annoying burden
on me, and other readers.

Please either quote fully, or if you insist on trimming, do so
judiciously so as to let people understand what you're referring to.

2018-04-16 18:36:18 UTC
Peter Trei <***@gmail.com> wrote in

> On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 1:32:46 PM UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:
>> On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 9:32:06 AM UTC-6, Panthera Tigris
>> Altaica wrote:

>> > What are you talking about?
>>
>> to this...
>>
>> On Sunday, April 15, 2018 at 12:34:05 AM UTC-6, David DeLaney
>> wrote:

>> > And starting with those that belong to the Emperor?
>> >
>> > Dave, the celestial emporium of benevolent fake news
>>
>> ...I had replied that I looked up a book about languages
>> related to Swahili.
>>
>> Many newsreaders show articles in a "tree view", so that the
>> article to which a post is a reply is immediately above it, and
>> it's not necessary to repeat anything to provide context.
>
> Patronize much?
>
> Some do.
>
> Some don't (forex, Google Groups). I guess you don't care if
> they have no idea what you're talking about.

I have long suspect that in Quaddie's case, preventing people from
knowing what the fuck he's jibbering about is a deliberate,
carefully considered choice. Realistically speaking, if you have no
clue what he's on about, he looks like stupid and bigoted.

> Also, even the tree-supporting ones don't display the content of
> the replied-to message if it's already been read.
>
> If I come back to a thread after several hours, and your
> context-free one-liner response is all that I can see without
> further exploration of the read-and-dead previous messages,
> you're placing an annoying burden on me, and other readers.
>
> Please either quote fully, or if you insist on trimming, do so
> judiciously so as to let people understand what you're referring
> to.

Are you sure you really *want* to understand his posts?

Juho Julkunen
2018-04-16 19:04:09 UTC
In article <8c99b104-2e50-4074-bcad-***@googlegroups.com>,
***@gmail.com says...

> On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 1:32:46 PM UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:

> If I come back to a thread after several hours, and your context-free
> one-liner response is all that I can see without further exploration of
> the read-and-dead previous messages, you're placing an annoying burden
> on me, and other readers.
>
> Please either quote fully, or if you insist on trimming, do so
> judiciously so as to let people understand what you're referring to.

Please trim. If I see a post and there's no new content on the first
screen's worth, I'm liable to just hit next.

Juho Julkunen
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
2018-04-16 22:04:05 UTC
Juho Julkunen <***@hotmail.com> wrote in

> In article
> <8c99b104-2e50-4074-bcad-***@googlegroups.com>,
> ***@gmail.com says...
>>
>> On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 1:32:46 PM UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:
>

>> If I come back to a thread after several hours, and your
>> context-free one-liner response is all that I can see without
>> further exploration of the read-and-dead previous messages,
>> you're placing an annoying burden on me, and other readers.
>>
>> Please either quote fully, or if you insist on trimming, do so
>> judiciously so as to let people understand what you're
>> referring to.
>
> Please trim. If I see a post and there's no new content on the
> first screen's worth, I'm liable to just hit next.

It is annoying. It's also still better than a one liner with zero
context.

2018-04-16 21:32:32 UTC
On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 2:08:03 PM UTC-4, Peter Trei wrote:
> On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 1:32:46 PM UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:

> > Many newsreaders show articles in a "tree view", so that the article to which a
> > post is a reply is immediately above it, and it's not necessary to repeat
> > anything to provide context.
>
> Patronize much?
>
> Some do.
>
> Some don't (forex, Google Groups).

GG does have tree view. See:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.arts.sf.written/9G95lVpi56Q

It may be a browser issue. I am using Chrome at the moment, but
if I use Firefox later on tonight, I'm not sure it will work.

Kevin R

(Hopes he is quoting just enough...)
Kevrob
2018-04-16 22:02:09 UTC
On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 5:32:37 PM UTC-4, Kevrob wrote:
> On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 2:08:03 PM UTC-4, Peter Trei wrote:
> > On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 1:32:46 PM UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:
>
> > > Many newsreaders show articles in a "tree view", so that the article to which a
> > > post is a reply is immediately above it, and it's not necessary to repeat
> > > anything to provide context.
> >
> > Patronize much?
> >
> > Some do.
> >
> > Some don't (forex, Google Groups).
>
> GG does have tree view. See:
>
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.arts.sf.written/9G95lVpi56Q
>
> It may be a browser issue. I am using Chrome at the moment, but
> if I use Firefox later on tonight, I'm not sure it will work.

The Subject of the thread is posted thusly:

"Equality of the sexes in science fiction
76 posts by 29 authors"

There's a drop-down menu using the button to the immediate
right of "authors" that allows you to change the display options:
Chonological, Tree and Paged are there, along with such whimsy as
"report abuse."

Kevin R
Panthera Tigris Altaica
2018-04-16 22:33:34 UTC

Your example does not show threading in Firefox.
David DeLaney
2018-04-18 03:38:41 UTC
On 2018-04-16, Peter Trei <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 1:32:46 PM UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:
>> Many newsreaders show articles in a "tree view", so that the article to
which a
>> post is a reply is immediately above it, and it's not necessary to repeat
>> anything to provide context.
>
> Patronize much?
>
> Some do.
>
> Some don't (forex, Google Groups). I guess you don't care if they
> have no idea what you're talking about.

... Google Groups is NOT A NEWSREADER. It is, at best, an unreliable article-
displayer. It has never been a newsreader or usable as one. It is WHY 25-year-
old necroreplies pop up every so often.

> Also, even the tree-supporting ones don't display the content of the
> replied-to message if it's already been read.

slrn and the other rn descendants do this just fine. It's really odd to see
gmail NOT doing it in my emails, cuz real mail programs also don't "hide quoted
text" unless told to.

> If I come back to a thread after several hours, and your context-free
> one-liner response is all that I can see without further exploration of
> the read-and-dead previous messages, you're placing an annoying burden
> on me, and other readers.

I do agree that at least one level of quoting oughtta be preserved, as mind-
reading over nntp: is difficult. But snipping down to just a couple levels
of quoting, like Terry never does, is also mandated; you don't need to try
to turn Usenet into Outloook-for-folks-who-don't-realize-the-cursor-is-movable.

Dave
2018-04-18 12:57:18 UTC
On Tuesday, April 17, 2018 at 11:38:49 PM UTC-4, David DeLaney wrote:
> On 2018-04-16, Peter Trei <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 1:32:46 PM UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:
> >> Many newsreaders show articles in a "tree view", so that the article to
> which a
> >> post is a reply is immediately above it, and it's not necessary to repeat
> >> anything to provide context.
> >
> > Patronize much?
> >
> > Some do.
> >
> > Some don't (forex, Google Groups). I guess you don't care if they
> > have no idea what you're talking about.
>
> ... Google Groups is NOT A NEWSREADER. It is, at best, an unreliable article-
> displayer. It has never been a newsreader or usable as one. It is WHY 25-year-
> old necroreplies pop up every so often.

A newsreader is a an application which people use to read Usenet News. I havent done a survey, but I suspect that GG is one of the most widely use newsreaders. Getting snobby about people's choice of reader is hardly helpful. I use xnews at home, but NNTP is stopped at the firewall from work, so I use GG as well (and am doing do now).

All I'm asking is that, like you, I want people to leave enough contest that I don't have to dredge up previous, marked-read and invisible articles to understand Quaddie's one-line responses.

Yes, GG is the source of (thankfully infrequent) necro threads. That's because
GG has a deep archive of usenet posts, which other readers do not. That's a
feature, not a bug.

2018-04-18 15:25:04 UTC
On 4/18/2018 5:57 AM, Peter Trei wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 17, 2018 at 11:38:49 PM UTC-4, David DeLaney wrote:
>>
>> ... Google Groups is NOT A NEWSREADER. It is, at best, an unreliable article-
>> displayer. It has never been a newsreader or usable as one. It is WHY 25-year-
>> old necroreplies pop up every so often.
>
> A newsreader is a an application which people use to read Usenet News. I havent done a survey, but I suspect that GG is one of the most widely use newsreaders. Getting snobby about people's choice of reader is hardly helpful. I use xnews at home, but NNTP is stopped at the firewall from work, so I use GG as well (and am doing do now).
>
> All I'm asking is that, like you, I want people to leave enough contest that I don't have to dredge up previous, marked-read and invisible articles to understand Quaddie's one-line responses.
>
> Yes, GG is the source of (thankfully infrequent) necro threads. That's because
> GG has a deep archive of usenet posts, which other readers do not. That's a
> feature, not a bug.

Its a bug in that it pops up 15+ year old posts as "new". There are two
parts to GG. One is the archive (very incomplete) of usenet posts. The
other is the webpage interface to said archive. The second part is
garbage, with a poorly designed interface for the task, many bugs and
effectively unsupported.

2018-04-18 15:32:57 UTC
On Wednesday, April 18, 2018 at 11:25:08 AM UTC-4, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> On 4/18/2018 5:57 AM, Peter Trei wrote:
> > On Tuesday, April 17, 2018 at 11:38:49 PM UTC-4, David DeLaney wrote:
> >>
> >> ... Google Groups is NOT A NEWSREADER. It is, at best, an unreliable article-
> >> displayer. It has never been a newsreader or usable as one. It is WHY 25-year-
> >> old necroreplies pop up every so often.
> >
> > A newsreader is a an application which people use to read Usenet News. I havent done a survey, but I suspect that GG is one of the most widely use newsreaders. Getting snobby about people's choice of reader is hardly helpful. I use xnews at home, but NNTP is stopped at the firewall from work, so I use GG as well (and am doing do now).
> >
> > All I'm asking is that, like you, I want people to leave enough contest that I don't have to dredge up previous, marked-read and invisible articles to understand Quaddie's one-line responses.
> >
> > Yes, GG is the source of (thankfully infrequent) necro threads. That's because
> > GG has a deep archive of usenet posts, which other readers do not. That's a
> > feature, not a bug.
> >
> Its a bug in that it pops up 15+ year old posts as "new". There are two
> parts to GG. One is the archive (very incomplete) of usenet posts. The
> other is the webpage interface to said archive. The second part is
> garbage, with a poorly designed interface for the task, many bugs and
> effectively unsupported.

I'm the first to agree that the GG interface is suboptimal, even bad.

However, its one of the few existing web interfaces, and as such, used by a
lot of people when in circumstances such that a real NNRP client can't be
used. Such as myself, at work, right now.

...all of which is a side issue to that of asking people to leave enough of
a previous message that I'm not left scrambling to figure out the context of
a one-line response.

pt
2018-04-18 19:33:37 UTC
Dimensional Traveler wrote:

> Its a bug in that it pops up 15+ year old posts as "new". There are
> two parts to GG. One is the archive (very incomplete) of usenet
> posts. The other is the webpage interface to said archive. The
> second part is garbage, with a poorly designed interface for the
> task, many bugs and effectively unsupported.

Do you have evidence for this? I used GG to read this newsgroup
exclusively for years. I never saw that. Unless it's very new, like the
past few months, then I have to seriously question this.

Brian
Kevrob
2018-04-19 05:09:04 UTC
On Wednesday, April 18, 2018 at 3:33:39 PM UTC-4, Default User wrote:
> Dimensional Traveler wrote:
>
> > Its a bug in that it pops up 15+ year old posts as "new". There are
> > two parts to GG. One is the archive (very incomplete) of usenet
> > posts. The other is the webpage interface to said archive. The
> > second part is garbage, with a poorly designed interface for the
> > task, many bugs and effectively unsupported.
>
> Do you have evidence for this? I used GG to read this newsgroup
> exclusively for years. I never saw that. Unless it's very new, like the
> past few months, then I have to seriously question this.

The default mobile page deprecates quoting. Before replying,
scroll to the bottom of the page, where, at least when you are
signed in, you will see, at the left, your email address, just to
the right of center "switch accounts," and to the right of that
"desktop."

[Continued next post.]

2018-04-19 09:43:30 UTC
On Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 1:09:07 AM UTC-4, Kevrob wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 18, 2018 at 3:33:39 PM UTC-4, Default User wrote:
> > Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> >
> > > Its a bug in that it pops up 15+ year old posts as "new". There are
> > > two parts to GG. One is the archive (very incomplete) of usenet
> > > posts. The other is the webpage interface to said archive. The
> > > second part is garbage, with a poorly designed interface for the
> > > task, many bugs and effectively unsupported.
> >
> > Do you have evidence for this? I used GG to read this newsgroup
> > exclusively for years. I never saw that. Unless it's very new, like the
> > past few months, then I have to seriously question this.
>

> The default mobile page deprecates quoting. Before replying,
> scroll to the bottom of the page, where, at least when you are
> signed in, you will see, at the left, your email address, just to
> the right of center "switch accounts," and to the right of that
> "desktop."
>
> [Continued next post.]

This is posted from my phone. I gave up trying to edit out
much of what I am quoting as a bad job. The interface is
clunky when one's phone won't let one delete entire lines,
and one has no backspace key.

2018-04-19 12:12:23 UTC
On Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 5:43:33 AM UTC-4, Kevrob wrote:

> This is posted from my phone.

This isn't.

> I gave up trying to edit out
> much of what I am quoting as a bad job. The interface is
> clunky when one's phone won't let one delete entire lines,
> and one has no backspace key.

It's the delete key, not the backspace, missing from my phone
keyboard, actually. Editing a post on it is excruciatingly
slow in GG in desktop mode. Posting from the mobile page
doesn't drive me as nuts, but it doesn't autoquote.

Both ways suck, though the suckage varies.

2018-04-19 13:23:50 UTC
Kevrob wrote:

> This is posted from my phone. I gave up trying to edit out
> much of what I am quoting as a bad job. The interface is
> clunky when one's phone won't let one delete entire lines,
> and one has no backspace key.

In my phone's text editing interface, a long press on text will leave a word highlighted, with adjustment bars on each end that can be dragged to highlight as much of the adjacent text as needed. A context menu pops up, offering to cut, copy, clip, etc. It works even in the Desktop version of Google Groups' webpage (I'm soaking in it, now).

-Jack
Quadibloc
2018-04-18 16:54:17 UTC
On Wednesday, April 18, 2018 at 6:57:22 AM UTC-6, Peter Trei wrote:

> A newsreader is a an application which people use to read Usenet News.

There you are then.

Google Groups does perform the functions of a newsreader - if poorly and with
some notable omissions. So your intended point is valid.

But it is a web-based newsreading service - because you don't download it and
run it on your computer. So, strictly speaking, a nitpicker can still claim you
are wrong.

2018-04-18 17:19:26 UTC
On Wednesday, April 18, 2018 at 12:54:19 PM UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 18, 2018 at 6:57:22 AM UTC-6, Peter Trei wrote:
>
> > A newsreader is a an application which people use to read Usenet News.
>
> There you are then.
>
> Google Groups does perform the functions of a newsreader - if poorly and with
> some notable omissions. So your intended point is valid.
>
> But it is a web-based newsreading service - because you don't download it and
> run it on your computer. So, strictly speaking, a nitpicker can still claim you
> are wrong.

So you do read my posts. Thank you for leaving a line of context to establish
what you're replying to - thats all I was asking you to do.

2018-04-18 18:54:05 UTC
On Wednesday, April 18, 2018 at 11:19:29 AM UTC-6, Peter Trei wrote:

> So you do read my posts. Thank you for leaving a line of context to establish
> what you're replying to - thats all I was asking you to do.

I normally do, but when I use my smartphone instead, quoting becomes
impossibly awkward.

2018-04-18 19:57:11 UTC
Quadibloc <***@ecn.ab.ca> wrote in

> On Wednesday, April 18, 2018 at 11:19:29 AM UTC-6, Peter Trei
> wrote:
>
>> So you do read my posts. Thank you for leaving a line of
>> context to establish what you're replying to - thats all I was
>> asking you to do.
>
> I normally do, but when I use my smartphone instead, quoting
> becomes impossibly awkward.

Then perhaps you should refrain from replying from your phone
entirely.

It would be exactly the same as being incomprehensible, and save you
time.

2018-04-18 19:32:07 UTC
Peter Trei wrote:

> On Tuesday, April 17, 2018 at 11:38:49 PM UTC-4, David DeLaney wrote:

> > ... Google Groups is NOT A NEWSREADER. It is, at best, an
> > unreliable article- displayer. It has never been a newsreader or
> > usable as one. It is WHY 25-year- old necroreplies pop up every so
> > often.
>
> A newsreader is a an application which people use to read Usenet
> News. I havent done a survey, but I suspect that GG is one of the
> most widely use newsreaders. Getting snobby about people's choice of
> reader is hardly helpful. I use xnews at home, but NNTP is stopped at
> the firewall from work, so I use GG as well (and am doing do now).

From 2011 to recently, I was also using GG. Partly for the reason you
mention, plus I just wasn't doing much usenet.

> All I'm asking is that, like you, I want people to leave enough
> contest that I don't have to dredge up previous, marked-read and
> invisible articles to understand Quaddie's one-line responses.

As discussed elsewhere, the GG mobile app seems to not provide any way
for quoting. That sucks. However, Quadiblock has been around long
enough to know that it's important and that he can copy and paste some
context in. So he chooses not to, because he doesn't care.

Brian
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
2018-04-16 18:34:31 UTC
Quadibloc <***@ecn.ab.ca> wrote in

> On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 9:32:06 AM UTC-6, Panthera Tigris
> Altaica wrote:
>> On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 11:24:47 AM UTC-4, Quadibloc
>> wrote:
>> > Oh, dear, it's actually a two-volume work.
>> >
>> > https://archive.org/details/comparativestudy01johnuoft
>> > https://archive.org/details/comparativestudy02john
>>
>> What are you talking about?
>
> to this...
>
> On Sunday, April 15, 2018 at 12:34:05 AM UTC-6, David DeLaney
> wrote:
>> On 2018-04-13, Dorothy J Heydt <***@kithrup.com> wrote:
>> > A quick glance at the article in Wikipedia indicates that
>> > some of the noun classes include two genders, artifacts, and
>> > diminutives. The diminutive class also seems to include nouns
>> > with the meaning of "sort of". Then there's one for living
>> > things neither human nor animal (plants, e.g.) and one for
>> > groups of humans.
>> >
>> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swahili_language#Noun_classes
>>
>> And starting with those that belong to the Emperor?
>>
>> Dave, the celestial emporium of benevolent fake news
>
> ...I had replied that I looked up a book about languages related
> to Swahili.
>
> Many newsreaders show articles in a "tree view", so that the
> article to which a post is a reply is immediately above it, and
> it's not necessary to repeat anything to provide context.

Unless, of course, you want people to know what the fuck you're
jibbering about.

Panthera Tigris Altaica
2018-04-16 22:32:32 UTC
On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 1:32:46 PM UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:
> On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 9:32:06 AM UTC-6, Panthera Tigris Altaica wrote:
> > On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 11:24:47 AM UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:
> > > Oh, dear, it's actually a two-volume work.
> > >
> > > https://archive.org/details/comparativestudy01johnuoft
> > > https://archive.org/details/comparativestudy02john
> >
> > What are you talking about?
>
> to this...
>
> On Sunday, April 15, 2018 at 12:34:05 AM UTC-6, David DeLaney wrote:
> > On 2018-04-13, Dorothy J Heydt <***@kithrup.com> wrote:
> > > A quick glance at the article in Wikipedia indicates that some of
> > > the noun classes include two genders, artifacts, and diminutives.
> > > The diminutive class also seems to include nouns with the meaning
> > > of "sort of". Then there's one for living things neither human
> > > nor animal (plants, e.g.) and one for groups of humans.
> > >
> > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swahili_language#Noun_classes
> >
> > And starting with those that belong to the Emperor?
> >
> > Dave, the celestial emporium of benevolent fake news
>
> ...I had replied that I looked up a book about languages related to Swahili.
>
> Many newsreaders show articles in a "tree view",

Not all. Google Groups does not, or at least does not have one that I can use in Firefox.

> so that the article to which a
> post is a reply is immediately above it, and it's not necessary to repeat
> anything to provide context.

You blithering idiot, if it wasn't bloody necessary, I, and numerous others, wouldn't have pointed out how fucking inconsiderate you are. You _deliberately_ delete context... just because. Unfortunately one of the other things that Google Groups lacks is a killfile.

2018-04-16 23:31:12 UTC
Panthera Tigris Altaica <***@outlook.com> wrote in

> On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 1:32:46 PM UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:
>> On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 9:32:06 AM UTC-6, Panthera Tigris
>> Altaica wr
> ote:

>> > What are you talking about?
>>
>> to this...
>>
>> On Sunday, April 15, 2018 at 12:34:05 AM UTC-6, David DeLaney
>> wrote:

>> > And starting with those that belong to the Emperor?
>> >
>> > Dave, the celestial emporium of benevolent fake news
>>
>> ...I had replied that I looked up a book about languages
>> related to Swahi
> li.
>>
>> Many newsreaders show articles in a "tree view",
>
> Not all. Google Groups does not, or at least does not have one
> that I can use in Firefox.
>
>> so that the article to which a
>> post is a reply is immediately above it, and it's not necessary
>> to repeat
>
>> anything to provide context.
>
> You blithering idiot, if it wasn't bloody necessary, I, and
> numerous others, wouldn't have pointed out how fucking
> inconsiderate you are. You _deliberately_ delete context... just
> because.

Since it has been pointed out to him numberous times, the *only*
reasonable conclusion one can reach is that he actively *wants* for
no one to understand what he's jibbering about.

Given how fucking *stupid* he looks when you *do* understand what
he's talking about (this thread, for instance), it seems a
reasonable decision on his part, to me.

2018-04-16 22:00:49 UTC
In article <2fdf3b64-0050-4178-acb6-***@googlegroups.com>,
Panthera Tigris Altaica <***@outlook.com> wrote:
>On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 11:24:47 AM UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:
>> Oh, dear, it's actually a two-volume work.
>>
>> https://archive.org/details/comparativestudy01johnuoft
>> https://archive.org/details/comparativestudy02john
>
>What are you talking about? You insist on trimming everything before you
>reply. This gives no context. Those of us who don't use threaded
>newsreaders cannot tell which post you're replying to,

I DO use a threaded newsreader, and I don't know what he's
talking about either.

2018-04-16 23:26:19 UTC
On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 4:30:04 PM UTC-6, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:

> I DO use a threaded newsreader, and I don't know what he's
> talking about either.

Well, even threaded newsreaders don't force you to open the earlier posts.

Basically, David DeLaney made an offhand, humorous comment about Swahili
grammar.

I noted that was enough for me to do some Googling; from the Wikipedia article,
Swahili doesn't have a special form for the Emperor (Japanese, of course, does),
but I saw other interesting things about it - some noun forms, though, were
vestigial in Swahili. So I looked up other Bantu languages... and they were
absent in Zulu.

So to sate my curiosity, I looked up a book about the comparative grammar of the
Bantu languages at the Internet Archive.

And I made the comment, after recounting this story, that, yes, I do visit TV
Tropes occasionally, why do you ask?

2018-04-16 23:29:14 UTC
***@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote in

> In article
> <2fdf3b64-0050-4178-acb6-***@googlegroups.com>,
> Panthera Tigris Altaica <***@outlook.com> wrote:
>>On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 11:24:47 AM UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:
>>> Oh, dear, it's actually a two-volume work.
>>>
>>> https://archive.org/details/comparativestudy01johnuoft
>>> https://archive.org/details/comparativestudy02john
>>
>>What are you talking about? You insist on trimming everything
>>before you reply. This gives no context. Those of us who don't
>>use threaded newsreaders cannot tell which post you're replying
>>to,
>
> I DO use a threaded newsreader, and I don't know what he's
> talking about either.

Heh. Neither does Quaddie, about 99.9999% of the time.

Garrett Wollman
2018-04-17 03:02:09 UTC
In article <***@kithrup.com>,
Dorothy J Heydt <***@kithrup.com> wrote:
>In article <2fdf3b64-0050-4178-acb6-***@googlegroups.com>,
>Panthera Tigris Altaica <***@outlook.com> wrote:
>>On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 11:24:47 AM UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:
>>> Oh, dear, it's actually a two-volume work.
>>>
>>> https://archive.org/details/comparativestudy01johnuoft
>>> https://archive.org/details/comparativestudy02john
>>
>>What are you talking about? You insist on trimming everything before you
>>reply. This gives no context. Those of us who don't use threaded
>>newsreaders cannot tell which post you're replying to,
>
>I DO use a threaded newsreader, and I don't know what he's
>talking about either.

I don't normally read Savard's posts, but it was a trivial exercise to
look at the parent article of the one quoted above, to wit,
<e7f8eb72-aa51-49dc-839d-***@googlegroups.com>, and see where
he wrote:

> luckily I've been able to find an old 800-page book comparing the various
> Bantu and semi-Bantu languages on the Internet Archive, and I may be able
> to satiate my idle curiosity through skimming it...

which makes it entirely clear (if unnecessarily oblique).

Note that Savard uses Google Groups, as is clear from his message-IDs.

2018-04-13 03:49:55 UTC
On 4/12/2018 5:58 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2018 15:52:28 -0400, Lawrence Watt-Evans
> <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> My understanding is that Swahili has eight categories of nouns, and
>> the only reason they aren't considered genders is that eight is too
>> many; it squicks linguists out.
>
> Can't imagine why; there are critters that have eight sexes.

Can you name eight?

2018-04-13 04:58:37 UTC
On Thursday, April 12, 2018 at 8:00:06 PM UTC-6, Joy Beeson wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2018 15:52:28 -0400, Lawrence Watt-Evans
> <***@gmail.com> wrote:

> > My understanding is that Swahili has eight categories of nouns, and
> > the only reason they aren't considered genders is that eight is too
> > many; it squicks linguists out.

> Can't imagine why; there are critters that have eight sexes.

On Earth, and not in science-fiction stories?

John Savard
Lawrence Watt-Evans
2018-04-13 05:03:44 UTC
On Thu, 12 Apr 2018 21:58:00 -0300, Joy Beeson
<***@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Apr 2018 15:52:28 -0400, Lawrence Watt-Evans
><***@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> My understanding is that Swahili has eight categories of nouns, and
>> the only reason they aren't considered genders is that eight is too
>> many; it squicks linguists out.
>
>Can't imagine why; there are critters that have eight sexes.

Are there? I'm not aware of any.

-dsr-
2018-04-13 17:23:40 UTC
On 2018-04-13, Lawrence Watt-Evans <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Apr 2018 21:58:00 -0300, Joy Beeson
><***@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 11 Apr 2018 15:52:28 -0400, Lawrence Watt-Evans
>><***@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> My understanding is that Swahili has eight categories of nouns, and
>>> the only reason they aren't considered genders is that eight is too
>>> many; it squicks linguists out.
>>
>>Can't imagine why; there are critters that have eight sexes.
>
> Are there? I'm not aware of any.

I don't know about eight exactly, but thousands...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8672296

TL;DR: Basidiomycetous fungi display thousands of different mating types,
and the graph of who can mate with whom to produce viable offspring is
not a simple anyone in column A with anyone in column B.

They're one of several kinds of fungi with tetrapolar genetics.

Tetrapolar systems promote outbreeding, as any individual can only
interbreed with 25% of its siblings from a cross: a1b1 can mate with a2b2,
but not with a1b1, a1b2 or a2b1.

Brewer's yeast, on the other hand, is bipolar.

-dsr-
Peter Trei
2018-04-16 13:50:04 UTC
On Friday, April 13, 2018 at 1:03:45 AM UTC-4, Lawrence Watt-Evans wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Apr 2018 21:58:00 -0300, Joy Beeson
> <***@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 11 Apr 2018 15:52:28 -0400, Lawrence Watt-Evans
> ><***@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> My understanding is that Swahili has eight categories of nouns, and
> >> the only reason they aren't considered genders is that eight is too
> >> many; it squicks linguists out.
> >
> >Can't imagine why; there are critters that have eight sexes.
>
> Are there? I'm not aware of any.

Obligatory:

"Saturday Night on Antarius"
http://www.ragingpencils.com/extras/subitzky.html

pt
Lawrence Watt-Evans
2018-04-11 19:48:57 UTC
On Wed, 11 Apr 2018 02:20:58 -0500, David DeLaney
<***@earthlink.net> wrote:

>On 2018-04-10, Christian Weisgerber <***@mips.inka.de> wrote:
>> On 2018-04-09, Default User <***@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> Are you sure that means the same thing? This has no pronouns at all
>>> with sex differention. So no man or woman, only person. No brother or
>>> sister, only sibling. No mother or father, only parent.
>>
>> I think you are confused what a "pronoun" is.
>
>He or she may be, but the point was that that language also didn't HAVE he,
>OR she, or their inflected forms. Just neuter pronouns. It's not uncommon for
>Earthly languages to have neuter pronouns _along with_ the gendered ones; that
>isn't what's being explored here.

Finnish and Chinese don't have any gendered pronouns at all. They do,
however, have words for "man," "woman," etc.

Gene Wirchenko
2018-04-12 04:01:57 UTC
On Wed, 11 Apr 2018 15:48:57 -0400, Lawrence Watt-Evans
<***@gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

>Finnish and Chinese don't have any gendered pronouns at all. They do,
>however, have words for "man," "woman," etc.

My understanding is that Chinese has pronouns for he and she.
They are pronounced the same but written differently. See section
"Grammar" at http://akarlin.com/2011/07/zhongwen/

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Lawrence Watt-Evans
2018-04-12 08:18:53 UTC
On Wed, 11 Apr 2018 21:01:57 -0700, Gene Wirchenko <***@telus.net>
wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Apr 2018 15:48:57 -0400, Lawrence Watt-Evans
><***@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>[snip]
>
>>Finnish and Chinese don't have any gendered pronouns at all. They do,
>>however, have words for "man," "woman," etc.
>
> My understanding is that Chinese has pronouns for he and she.
>They are pronounced the same but written differently. See section
>"Grammar" at http://akarlin.com/2011/07/zhongwen/

Okay, yes, WRITTEN Chinese has gendered pronouns, but SPOKEN Mandarin
or Wu does not.

Christian Weisgerber
2018-04-12 16:32:15 UTC
On 2018-04-12, Gene Wirchenko <***@telus.net> wrote:

>>Finnish and Chinese don't have any gendered pronouns at all. They do,
>>however, have words for "man," "woman," etc.
>
> My understanding is that Chinese has pronouns for he and she.
> They are pronounced the same but written differently. See section
> "Grammar" at http://akarlin.com/2011/07/zhongwen/

IIRC, these are spelling neologisms that were introduced in the
19th century to be better able to translate from European languages.

Christian "naddy" Weisgerber ***@mips.inka.de
J. Clarke
2018-04-10 03:27:08 UTC

I think this does not mean what you think it means.
Greg Goss
2018-04-10 13:06:48 UTC
Christian Weisgerber <***@mips.inka.de> wrote:

>On 2018-04-09, Default User <***@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> The obvious recent candidate is Leckie's Ancillary series. Not only do
>> the Radchaai have equality, there is little outward difference in dress
>> and manner. The language has no pronouns that distinguish gender.
>
>That is a common property in human languages and has fuck all to
>do with gender equality.

In the Honorverse, the gender of an unknown or hypothetical takes
pronouns that match the speaker.
2018-04-09 22:29:49 UTC
The Zygon <***@gmail.com> wrote in

> Has anyone ever read a science fiction story about a society in
> which men and women are really treated equally? I have read
> some in which it _said_ that men and women are equal. But one
> detects subtle differences in treatment in the story suggesting
> inequality.

One might consider dwarves in Discworld, who are so indistinguishable
that the biggest challenge in their mating rituals is to identify who
*is* a member of the opposite sex.