Young People Listen to Old SFF: The Veldt by Ray Bradbury
2018-07-01 14:43:56 UTC
Young People Listen To Old SFF: The Veldt by Ray Bradbury

http://youngpeoplereadoldsff.com/story/the-veldt
2018-07-01 15:52:58 UTC
On Sunday, 1 July 2018 15:43:59 UTC+1, James Nicoll wrote:
> Young People Listen To Old SFF: The Veldt by Ray Bradbury
>
> http://youngpeoplereadoldsff.com/story/the-veldt
> --
> My reviews can be found at http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/
> My Dreamwidth at https://james-davis-nicoll.dreamwidth.org/
> My patreon is at https://www.patreon.com/jamesdnicoll

Did they "read" a radio production (there's several,
as you say) - or the "codex" form with words drawn onto
leaves of paper, like a screen, but once you've read
the story, you throw the "codex" away?
James Nicoll
2018-07-01 19:15:27 UTC
In article <db609fa5-4003-4a26-aba2-***@googlegroups.com>,
Robert Carnegie <***@excite.com> wrote:
>On Sunday, 1 July 2018 15:43:59 UTC+1, James Nicoll wrote:
>> Young People Listen To Old SFF: The Veldt by Ray Bradbury
>>
>> http://youngpeoplereadoldsff.com/story/the-veldt
>> --
>> My reviews can be found at http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/
>> My Dreamwidth at https://james-davis-nicoll.dreamwidth.org/
>> My patreon is at https://www.patreon.com/jamesdnicoll
>
>Did they "read" a radio production (there's several,
>as you say) - or the "codex" form with words drawn onto
>leaves of paper, like a screen, but once you've read
>the story, you throw the "codex" away?

They listen, as the title says. The url says read because this
began as a reading project and the name of the site is Young
People Read Old SFF.
2018-07-01 20:47:47 UTC
On Sunday, 1 July 2018 20:15:29 UTC+1, James Nicoll wrote:
> In article <db609fa5-4003-4a26-aba2-***@googlegroups.com>,
> Robert Carnegie <***@excite.com> wrote:
> >On Sunday, 1 July 2018 15:43:59 UTC+1, James Nicoll wrote:
> >> Young People Listen To Old SFF: The Veldt by Ray Bradbury
> >>
> >> http://youngpeoplereadoldsff.com/story/the-veldt
> >> --
> >> My reviews can be found at http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/
> >> My Dreamwidth at https://james-davis-nicoll.dreamwidth.org/
> >> My patreon is at https://www.patreon.com/jamesdnicoll
> >
> >Did they "read" a radio production (there's several,
> >as you say) - or the "codex" form with words drawn onto
> >leaves of paper, like a screen, but once you've read
> >the story, you throw the "codex" away?
>
> They listen, as the title says. The url says read because this
> began as a reading project and the name of the site is Young
> People Read Old SFF.

I think that at least one cheated and read a book.
I didn't notice a production identified - perhaps in a previous episode - but I think I can identify this from
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Veldt_(short_story)#Adaptations>
as the "X Minus One" version of 1955? Where what happens
on the holodeck stays on the holodeck? Whereas in the
original the kids get to Narnia and Aslan takes against
the parents.
Titus G
2018-07-02 22:00:13 UTC
On 02/07/18 08:47, Robert Carnegie wrote:
> On Sunday, 1 July 2018 20:15:29 UTC+1, James Nicoll wrote:
>> In article <db609fa5-4003-4a26-aba2-***@googlegroups.com>,
>> Robert Carnegie <***@excite.com> wrote:

>>> Did they "read" a radio production (there's several,
>>> as you say) - or the "codex" form with words drawn onto
>>> leaves of paper, like a screen, but once you've read
>>> the story, you throw the "codex" away?
>>
>> They listen, as the title says. The url says read because this
>> began as a reading project and the name of the site is Young
>> People Read Old SFF.
>
> I think that at least one cheated and read a book.
> I didn't notice a production identified - perhaps in a previous episode - but I think I can identify this from
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Veldt_(short_story)#Adaptations>
> as the "X Minus One" version of 1955? Where what happens
> on the holodeck stays on the holodeck? Whereas in the
> original the kids get to Narnia and Aslan takes against
> the parents.

That is how I remember the original so I was a little confused by the
Young People's comments blaming my memory. So thank you.
D B Davis
2018-07-01 19:34:33 UTC
James Nicoll <***@panix.com> wrote:
> Young People Listen To Old SFF: The Veldt by Ray Bradbury
>
> http://youngpeoplereadoldsff.com/story/the-veldt

Paranoia about children was a common theme in the early Baby Boom
years and The Veldt seems to be a prime example of the subgenre. I
don't see the attraction myself but I know I am in the minority
where Bradbury was concerned.

They say that the Golden Age of SF is somewhere around the age of
thirteen. Perhaps SFnal stories about adults who fear children pander to
Golden Age readers and make the readers feel more powerful?

Don