Young People Listen to Old SFF: The Veldt by Ray Bradbury
2018-07-01 14:43:56 UTC
Young People Listen To Old SFF: The Veldt by Ray Bradbury

http://youngpeoplereadoldsff.com/story/the-veldt
2018-07-01 15:52:58 UTC
Young People Listen To Old SFF: The Veldt by Ray Bradbury
http://youngpeoplereadoldsff.com/story/the-veldt
Did they "read" a radio production (there's several,
as you say) - or the "codex" form with words drawn onto
leaves of paper, like a screen, but once you've read
the story, you throw the "codex" away?
James Nicoll
2018-07-01 19:15:27 UTC
Young People Listen To Old SFF: The Veldt by Ray Bradbury
http://youngpeoplereadoldsff.com/story/the-veldt
Did they "read" a radio production (there's several,
as you say) - or the "codex" form with words drawn onto
leaves of paper, like a screen, but once you've read
the story, you throw the "codex" away?
They listen, as the title says. The url says read because this
began as a reading project and the name of the site is Young
People Read Old SFF.
2018-07-01 20:47:47 UTC
Young People Listen To Old SFF: The Veldt by Ray Bradbury
http://youngpeoplereadoldsff.com/story/the-veldt
Did they "read" a radio production (there's several,
as you say) - or the "codex" form with words drawn onto
leaves of paper, like a screen, but once you've read
the story, you throw the "codex" away?
They listen, as the title says. The url says read because this
began as a reading project and the name of the site is Young
People Read Old SFF.
I think that at least one cheated and read a book.
I didn't notice a production identified - perhaps in a previous episode - but I think I can identify this from
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Veldt_(short_story)#Adaptations>
as the "X Minus One" version of 1955? Where what happens
on the holodeck stays on the holodeck? Whereas in the
original the kids get to Narnia and Aslan takes against
the parents.
Titus G
2018-07-02 22:00:13 UTC
[...]
That is how I remember the original so I was a little confused by the
Young People's comments blaming my memory. So thank you.

D B Davis
2018-07-01 19:34:33 UTC
Young People Listen To Old SFF: The Veldt by Ray Bradbury
http://youngpeoplereadoldsff.com/story/the-veldt
Paranoia about children was a common theme in the early Baby Boom
years and The Veldt seems to be a prime example of the subgenre. I
don't see the attraction myself but I know I am in the minority
where Bradbury was concerned.

They say that the Golden Age of SF is somewhere around the age of
thirteen. Perhaps SFnal stories about adults who fear children pander to
Golden Age readers and make the readers feel more powerful?

Don