OT: Science Unravels One of Life's Greatest Mysteries
2017-04-12 03:24:47 UTC
A frequent poster in this newsgroup often expresses doubt about the value of
science and the competency of scientists.

This news story:

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-39573642

should put the matter to rest once and for all!

John Savard
Robert Bannister
2017-04-12 03:47:07 UTC
A frequent poster in this newsgroup often expresses doubt about the value of
science and the competency of scientists.
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-39573642
should put the matter to rest once and for all!
I have found that my shoe laces only come undone when I'm wearing long
trousers. When I'm in shorts or a kilt, they stay done up.
--
Robert B. born England a long time ago;
Western Australia since 1972
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-04-12 06:10:08 UTC
A frequent poster in this newsgroup often expresses doubt about
the value of science and the competency of scientists.
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-39573642
should put the matter to rest once and for all!
Personally, I question more the value and competency of those who
spend our tax dollars on stuff like this.

Richard Hershberger
Thank you, Senator Proxmire.
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-04-12 16:54:51 UTC
On Wednesday, April 12, 2017 at 2:10:09 AM UTC-4, Gutless
Post by Quadibloc
A frequent poster in this newsgroup often expresses doubt
about the value of science and the competency of scientists.
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-39573642
should put the matter to rest once and for all!
Personally, I question more the value and competency of those
who spend our tax dollars on stuff like this.
Thank you, Senator Proxmire.
He did occasionally have a point.

Mike Dworetsky
2017-04-12 13:43:01 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
A frequent poster in this newsgroup often expresses doubt about
the value of science and the competency of scientists.
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-39573642
should put the matter to rest once and for all!
Personally, I question more the value and competency of those who
spend our tax dollars on stuff like this.
You are assuming that this was some sort of grant-supported project. It was
probably done in his own time (after work) as a fun activity with some
serious aspect. It might even win a coveted Ignobel prize.
--
Mike Dworetsky

(Remove pants sp*mbl*ck to reply)
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-04-12 16:54:36 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
A frequent poster in this newsgroup often expresses doubt
about the value of science and the competency of scientists.
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-39573642
should put the matter to rest once and for all!
Personally, I question more the value and competency of those
who spend our tax dollars on stuff like this.
You are assuming that this was some sort of grant-supported
project.
I am, because that's teh way to bet.
Post by Mike Dworetsky
It was probably done in his own time (after work) as a
fun activity with some serious aspect.
"Using a slow-motion camera and a series of experiments, mechanical
engineers at University California Berkeley"

Seems extremely likely that the equipmewnt and facilities used
were, in fact, university equipment and facilities, so even if it
was on his own time, it was taxapayer supported.
Post by Mike Dworetsky
It might even win a
coveted Ignobel prize.
As well it should, actually.

Default User
2017-04-12 16:30:27 UTC
In my experience, a large part of the "problem" is that the knot most of us are taught as children isn't the best one for the purpose. Years ago I found a guy that had a site with extensive information about shoelaces. Hey, it's the web. There's an extensive site on just about anything.

I switched to the "secure" knot from this subsection:

https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/knots.htm

I have had almost no trouble with knots coming undone since.

Brian
David Goldfarb
2017-04-13 03:18:08 UTC
Post by Default User
In my experience, a large part of the "problem" is that the knot most of
us are taught as children isn't the best one for the purpose.
*And*, as the site you give below notes, people aren't taught how
to tie it right.

Years ago
Post by Default User
I found a guy that had a site with extensive information about
shoelaces. Hey, it's the web. There's an extensive site on just about
anything.
https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/knots.htm
I have had almost no trouble with knots coming undone since.
Same here. Unlike the double knot I was previously using, it comes
undone with a single pull -- unless you accidentally pull one of the
ends through one of the loops. This is fairly easy to do; on the
other hand, it leaves you little worse off than if you'd started with
a double knot. And when you don't, you're much better.
--
David Goldfarb |
***@gmail.com | "End of the universe. Have fun. Bye-bye!"
***@ocf.berkeley.edu |
Robert Bannister
2017-04-24 03:14:07 UTC
Post by Default User
In my experience, a large part of the "problem" is that the knot most of us are taught as children isn't the best one for the purpose. Years ago I found a guy that had a site with extensive information about shoelaces. Hey, it's the web. There's an extensive site on just about anything.
https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/knots.htm
I have had almost no trouble with knots coming undone since.
I'm going to have to give that a try. Are they hard to undo again?