OT: Science Unravels One of Life's Greatest Mysteries
2017-04-12 03:24:47 UTC
A frequent poster in this newsgroup often expresses doubt about the value of
science and the competency of scientists.

This news story:

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-39573642

should put the matter to rest once and for all!

John Savard
Robert Bannister
2017-04-12 03:47:07 UTC
A frequent poster in this newsgroup often expresses doubt about the value of
science and the competency of scientists.
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-39573642
should put the matter to rest once and for all!
I have found that my shoe laces only come undone when I'm wearing long
trousers. When I'm in shorts or a kilt, they stay done up.
--
Robert B. born England a long time ago;
Western Australia since 1972
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-04-12 06:10:08 UTC
A frequent poster in this newsgroup often expresses doubt about
the value of science and the competency of scientists.
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-39573642
should put the matter to rest once and for all!
Personally, I question more the value and competency of those who
spend our tax dollars on stuff like this.

Richard Hershberger
Thank you, Senator Proxmire.
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-04-12 16:54:51 UTC
On Wednesday, April 12, 2017 at 2:10:09 AM UTC-4, Gutless
Post by Quadibloc
A frequent poster in this newsgroup often expresses doubt
about the value of science and the competency of scientists.
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-39573642
should put the matter to rest once and for all!
Personally, I question more the value and competency of those
who spend our tax dollars on stuff like this.
Thank you, Senator Proxmire.
He did occasionally have a point.

Mike Dworetsky
2017-04-12 13:43:01 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
A frequent poster in this newsgroup often expresses doubt about
the value of science and the competency of scientists.
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-39573642
should put the matter to rest once and for all!
Personally, I question more the value and competency of those who
spend our tax dollars on stuff like this.
You are assuming that this was some sort of grant-supported project. It was
probably done in his own time (after work) as a fun activity with some
serious aspect. It might even win a coveted Ignobel prize.
--
Mike Dworetsky

(Remove pants sp*mbl*ck to reply)
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-04-12 16:54:36 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
A frequent poster in this newsgroup often expresses doubt
about the value of science and the competency of scientists.
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-39573642
should put the matter to rest once and for all!
Personally, I question more the value and competency of those
who spend our tax dollars on stuff like this.
You are assuming that this was some sort of grant-supported
project.
I am, because that's teh way to bet.
Post by Mike Dworetsky
It was probably done in his own time (after work) as a
fun activity with some serious aspect.
"Using a slow-motion camera and a series of experiments, mechanical
engineers at University California Berkeley"

Seems extremely likely that the equipmewnt and facilities used
were, in fact, university equipment and facilities, so even if it
was on his own time, it was taxapayer supported.
Post by Mike Dworetsky
It might even win a
coveted Ignobel prize.
As well it should, actually.

Default User
2017-04-12 16:30:27 UTC
In my experience, a large part of the "problem" is that the knot most of us are taught as children isn't the best one for the purpose. Years ago I found a guy that had a site with extensive information about shoelaces. Hey, it's the web. There's an extensive site on just about anything.

I switched to the "secure" knot from this subsection:

https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/knots.htm

I have had almost no trouble with knots coming undone since.

Brian
David Goldfarb
2017-04-13 03:18:08 UTC
Post by Default User
In my experience, a large part of the "problem" is that the knot most of
us are taught as children isn't the best one for the purpose.
*And*, as the site you give below notes, people aren't taught how
to tie it right.

Years ago
Post by Default User
I found a guy that had a site with extensive information about
shoelaces. Hey, it's the web. There's an extensive site on just about
anything.
https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/knots.htm
I have had almost no trouble with knots coming undone since.
Same here. Unlike the double knot I was previously using, it comes
undone with a single pull -- unless you accidentally pull one of the
ends through one of the loops. This is fairly easy to do; on the
other hand, it leaves you little worse off than if you'd started with
a double knot. And when you don't, you're much better.
--
David Goldfarb |
***@gmail.com | "End of the universe. Have fun. Bye-bye!"
***@ocf.berkeley.edu |
Robert Bannister
2017-04-24 03:14:07 UTC
Post by Default User
In my experience, a large part of the "problem" is that the knot most of us are taught as children isn't the best one for the purpose. Years ago I found a guy that had a site with extensive information about shoelaces. Hey, it's the web. There's an extensive site on just about anything.
https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/knots.htm
I have had almost no trouble with knots coming undone since.
I'm going to have to give that a try. Are they hard to undo again?
2017-04-24 20:30:39 UTC
Post by Robert Bannister
Post by Default User
https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/knots.htm
I have had almost no trouble with knots coming undone since.
I'm going to have to give that a try. Are they hard to undo again?
No, it works like a normal knot in that regards, although with more friction.

Brian
Robert Bannister
2017-05-08 02:49:31 UTC
Post by Default User
Post by Robert Bannister
Post by Default User
https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/knots.htm
I have had almost no trouble with knots coming undone since.
I'm going to have to give that a try. Are they hard to undo again?
No, it works like a normal knot in that regards, although with more friction.
Brian
I've given it a try a few time now. Easy to undo, but doesn't come
undone by accident. It is, however, hard to tie if you haven't got much
lace left. Perhaps I need more practice.
2017-05-08 16:56:19 UTC
Post by Robert Bannister
Post by Default User
https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/knots.htm
I have had almost no trouble with knots coming undone since.
I've given it a try a few time now. Easy to undo, but doesn't come
undone by accident. It is, however, hard to tie if you haven't got much
lace left. Perhaps I need more practice.
Yes, that can be a concern. I just got some new shoes and the laces didn't leave a lot of room for the secure know, but a couple tries and some adjustments got it.

Brian
Robert Bannister
2017-05-09 03:03:38 UTC
Post by Default User
Post by Robert Bannister
Post by Default User
https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/knots.htm
I have had almost no trouble with knots coming undone since.
I've given it a try a few time now. Easy to undo, but doesn't come
undone by accident. It is, however, hard to tie if you haven't got much
lace left. Perhaps I need more practice.
Yes, that can be a concern. I just got some new shoes and the laces didn't leave a lot of room for the secure know, but a couple tries and some adjustments got it.
It might be easier on something like walking boots. I was trying it on
my dancing shoes and it was difficult, although I have managed it a
couple of times.
Robert Carnegie
2017-05-08 20:50:15 UTC
Post by Robert Bannister
Post by Default User
Post by Robert Bannister
Post by Default User
https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/knots.htm
I have had almost no trouble with knots coming undone since.
I'm going to have to give that a try. Are they hard to undo again?
No, it works like a normal knot in that regards, although with more friction.
Brian
I've given it a try a few time now. Easy to undo, but doesn't come
undone by accident. It is, however, hard to tie if you haven't got much
lace left. Perhaps I need more practice.
Or more lace? I tend not to replace a lace before
the shoe wears out, but you /can/. ;-)

I've also used a "skip some holes" technique to
thread a short remainder of lace into a long shoe!
T Guy
2017-05-08 23:40:43 UTC
Post by Default User
In my experience, a large part of the "problem" is that the knot most of us are taught as children isn't the best one for the purpose. Years ago I found a guy that had a site with extensive information about shoelaces. Hey, it's the web. There's an extensive site on just about anything.
https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/knots.htm
I have had almost no trouble with knots coming undone since.
Bookmarked.

Only because my most recent pair of shoes have laces that loosen every time and have been known to come undone.
David Goldfarb
2017-05-09 04:11:20 UTC
Post by T Guy
Only because my most recent pair of shoes have laces that loosen every
time and have been known to come undone.
I find that with practice, Ian's Secure Knot is very nearly as fast
to tie as a standard shoelace knot.
--
David Goldfarb | "Oh, death from on high. Neat."
***@gmail.com | -- Tom Servo, Mystery Science Theater 3000
***@ocf.berkeley.edu | "Gamera"
Robert Carnegie
2017-05-09 07:47:31 UTC
Post by Default User
In my experience, a large part of the "problem" is that the knot most of us are taught as children isn't the best one for the purpose. Years ago I found a guy that had a site with extensive information about shoelaces. Hey, it's the web. There's an extensive site on just about anything.
https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/knots.htm
I have had almost no trouble with knots coming undone since.
I think that "Double Shoelace Knot" is what I use
when an ordinary bow is a problem - and specifically
if the bow is long enough to catch in my bicycle
chain - which is, tie the bow, then knot the bundle
of laces on one side once through the bundle from
the opposite side. Not especially tightly.
Robert Bannister
2017-05-10 05:34:41 UTC
Post by Default User
In my experience, a large part of the "problem" is that the knot most of us are taught as children isn't the best one for the purpose. Years ago I found a guy that had a site with extensive information about shoelaces. Hey, it's the web. There's an extensive site on just about anything.
https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/knots.htm
I have had almost no trouble with knots coming undone since.
I think that "Double Shoelace Knot" is what I use
when an ordinary bow is a problem - and specifically
if the bow is long enough to catch in my bicycle
chain - which is, tie the bow, then knot the bundle
of laces on one side once through the bundle from
the opposite side. Not especially tightly.
The advantage of the know Brian showed is that it is also easy to undo.
A double bow can be tricky.
Dimensional Traveler
2017-05-10 15:06:44 UTC
Post by Robert Bannister
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by Default User
In my experience, a large part of the "problem" is that the knot most
of us are taught as children isn't the best one for the purpose.
Years ago I found a guy that had a site with extensive information
about shoelaces. Hey, it's the web. There's an extensive site on just
about anything.
https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/knots.htm
I have had almost no trouble with knots coming undone since.
I think that "Double Shoelace Knot" is what I use
when an ordinary bow is a problem - and specifically
if the bow is long enough to catch in my bicycle
chain - which is, tie the bow, then knot the bundle
of laces on one side once through the bundle from
the opposite side. Not especially tightly.
The advantage of the know Brian showed is that it is also easy to undo.
A double bow can be tricky.
Should we take the first part of that as meaning your need to alliterate
overwhelmed your need to spell? :)
"That's my secret, Captain: I'm always angry."
Robert Bannister
2017-05-11 02:16:40 UTC
Post by Robert Bannister
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by Default User
[...]
My spelling is fine. It's my typing that's knot reliable.
Still, know, show, bow...
David DeLaney
2017-05-11 06:07:22 UTC
Post by Robert Bannister
The advantage of the know Brian showed is that it is also easy to undo.
A double bow can be tricky.
Should we take the first part of that as meaning your need to alliterate
overwhelmed your need to spell? :)
That ain't alliteration. That's assonance. thingummy.

Dave, gammon and/or spinach
gatekeeper.vic.com/~dbd - net.legends FAQ & Magic / I WUV you in all CAPS! --K.
Robert Carnegie
I thought I caught an internal rhyme that time.
Robert Bannister
2017-05-12 02:17:54 UTC
Post by Robert Bannister
The advantage of the know Brian showed is that it is also easy to undo.
A double bow can be tricky.
Should we take the first part of that as meaning your need to alliterate
overwhelmed your need to spell? :)
That ain't alliteration. That's assonance. thingummy.
Dave, gammon and/or spinach
That's what I'd have called it too, but I thought what the hell, w is a
sort of semi-consonant.