[Because My Tears Are Delicious To You] Floating Worlds by Cecelia Holland
2018-03-11 14:37:36 UTC
Floating Worlds by Cecelia Holland

https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/a-little-bit-genghis-khan
2018-03-11 17:16:53 UTC
In article <p83evg$3jd$***@reader2.panix.com>,
***@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:

> Floating Worlds by Cecelia Holland
>
> https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/a-little-bit-genghis-khan

Mongols? I remember comments (in, IIRC, _Locus_), that the Styth were
based on the Huns (and Saba was Atilla).

‹-----------------------------------------------------
2018-03-11 19:03:42 UTC
In article <robertaw-***@news.individual.net>,
Robert Woodward <***@drizzle.com> wrote:
>In article <p83evg$3jd$***@reader2.panix.com>,
> ***@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:
>
>> Floating Worlds by Cecelia Holland
>>
>> https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/a-little-bit-genghis-khan
>
>Mongols? I remember comments (in, IIRC, _Locus_), that the Styth were
>based on the Huns (and Saba was Atilla).

Perhaps I erred but they seemed to be space mongols to me...
2018-03-12 17:21:36 UTC
In article <p83uie$bhc$***@reader2.panix.com>,
***@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:

> In article <robertaw-***@news.individual.net>,
> Robert Woodward <***@drizzle.com> wrote:
> >In article <p83evg$3jd$***@reader2.panix.com>,
> > ***@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:
> >
> >> Floating Worlds by Cecelia Holland
> >>
> >> https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/a-little-bit-genghis-khan
> >
> >Mongols? I remember comments (in, IIRC, _Locus_), that the Styth were
> >based on the Huns (and Saba was Atilla).
> >
> Perhaps I erred but they seemed to be space mongols to me...

I haven't found the Huns description (according to the ISFDB, there was
no review in Locus); however, Charles Brown in a review column in the
3rd issue of what is now _Asimov's Science Fiction_ said Mongols as
well. I might have seen it in Geis's _Science Fiction Review_, but I
haven't found my copies.

‹-----------------------------------------------------
2018-03-12 21:18:04 UTC
On 3/12/2018 10:21 AM, Robert Woodward wrote:
> In article <p83uie$bhc$***@reader2.panix.com>,
> ***@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:
>
>> In article <robertaw-***@news.individual.net>,
>> Robert Woodward <***@drizzle.com> wrote:

>>> Mongols? I remember comments (in, IIRC, _Locus_), that the Styth were
>>> based on the Huns (and Saba was Atilla).
>>>
>> Perhaps I erred but they seemed to be space mongols to me...
>
> I haven't found the Huns description (according to the ISFDB, there was
> no review in Locus); however, Charles Brown in a review column in the
> 3rd issue of what is now _Asimov's Science Fiction_ said Mongols as
> well. I might have seen it in Geis's _Science Fiction Review_, but I
> haven't found my copies.

From the point of view of the peasant getting trampled under hoof, is
there much difference between Huns and Mongols?

Steve Coltrin
2018-03-13 18:18:28 UTC
begin fnord
Dimensional Traveler <***@sonic.net> writes:

> From the point of view of the peasant getting trampled under hoof, is
> there much difference between Huns and Mongols?

The language you should have been grovelling in.

--
Steve Coltrin ***@omcl.org Google Groups killfiled here
"A group known as the League of Human Dignity helped arrange for Deuel