Discussion:
Has anyone read Taylor Varga ?
(too old to reply)
Lynn McGuire
2018-06-10 00:38:33 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Has anyone read Taylor Varga ?

https://excessverbosity.wordpress.com/fiction-2/fanfiction-list/tv-intro/

Is this worth reading at 1.7 million words ? Kinda sounds like a female
super hero story.

Lynn
Ahasuerus
2018-06-10 01:24:44 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Saturday, June 9, 2018 at 8:38:47 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> Has anyone read Taylor Varga ?
>
> https://excessverbosity.wordpress.com/fiction-2/fanfiction-list/tv-intro/
[snip]

Apparently the answer is "yes" -- see
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/rec.arts.sf.written/OiUHwRKPwx4/YTDR7dS5AgAJ

Warning: the sub-thread may contain spoilers for "Taylor Varga" and
the Web serial "Worm", which "TV" is based on. As we discovered during
the last discussion, "TV" assumes basic familiarity with "Worm".
Lynn McGuire
2018-06-10 04:33:25 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On 6/9/2018 8:24 PM, Ahasuerus wrote:
> On Saturday, June 9, 2018 at 8:38:47 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> Has anyone read Taylor Varga ?
>>
>> https://excessverbosity.wordpress.com/fiction-2/fanfiction-list/tv-intro/
> [snip]
>
> Apparently the answer is "yes" -- see
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/rec.arts.sf.written/OiUHwRKPwx4/YTDR7dS5AgAJ
>
> Warning: the sub-thread may contain spoilers for "Taylor Varga" and
> the Web serial "Worm", which "TV" is based on. As we discovered during
> the last discussion, "TV" assumes basic familiarity with "Worm".

Thanks, that is where I saw the reference. I forgot to hat tip that.

Lynn
Peter Volk
2018-06-11 11:07:03 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Yes, I have read it. It is pretty much played for laughs, though I
consider it to be very readable. I recommend anyone to try the first
three to five chapters. If you don't like it, drop it, though the
writing does improve.

Peter


On Sat, 9 Jun 2018 23:33:25 -0500, Lynn McGuire
<***@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 6/9/2018 8:24 PM, Ahasuerus wrote:
>> On Saturday, June 9, 2018 at 8:38:47 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>> Has anyone read Taylor Varga ?
>>>
>>> https://excessverbosity.wordpress.com/fiction-2/fanfiction-list/tv-intro/
>> [snip]
>>
>> Apparently the answer is "yes" -- see
>> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/rec.arts.sf.written/OiUHwRKPwx4/YTDR7dS5AgAJ
>>
>> Warning: the sub-thread may contain spoilers for "Taylor Varga" and
>> the Web serial "Worm", which "TV" is based on. As we discovered during
>> the last discussion, "TV" assumes basic familiarity with "Worm".
>
>Thanks, that is where I saw the reference. I forgot to hat tip that.
>
>Lynn
>
-dsr-
2018-06-11 20:12:19 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On 2018-06-11, Peter Volk <***@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> Yes, I have read it. It is pretty much played for laughs, though I
> consider it to be very readable. I recommend anyone to try the first
> three to five chapters. If you don't like it, drop it, though the
> writing does improve.
>

I am about 75% through. Apart from some clunky "said-ism", it's nearly
delightful.

I'm not sure anyone who hasn't read Worm would be quite so amused by
it, though.

-dsr-
Lynn McGuire
2018-06-11 21:54:04 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On 6/9/2018 8:24 PM, Ahasuerus wrote:
> On Saturday, June 9, 2018 at 8:38:47 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> Has anyone read Taylor Varga ?
>>
>> https://excessverbosity.wordpress.com/fiction-2/fanfiction-list/tv-intro/
> [snip]
>
> Apparently the answer is "yes" -- see
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/rec.arts.sf.written/OiUHwRKPwx4/YTDR7dS5AgAJ
>
> Warning: the sub-thread may contain spoilers for "Taylor Varga" and
> the Web serial "Worm", which "TV" is based on. As we discovered during
> the last discussion, "TV" assumes basic familiarity with "Worm".

So, I need to read _Worm_ first ?
https://parahumans.wordpress.com/table-of-contents/

Thanks,
Lynn
Ahasuerus
2018-06-11 22:33:21 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Monday, June 11, 2018 at 5:54:09 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 6/9/2018 8:24 PM, Ahasuerus wrote:
> > On Saturday, June 9, 2018 at 8:38:47 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> >> Has anyone read Taylor Varga ?
> >>
> >> https://excessverbosity.wordpress.com/fiction-2/fanfiction-list/tv-intro/
> > [snip]
> >
> > Apparently the answer is "yes" -- see
> > https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/rec.arts.sf.written/OiUHwRKPwx4/YTDR7dS5AgAJ
> >
> > Warning: the sub-thread may contain spoilers for "Taylor Varga" and
> > the Web serial "Worm", which "TV" is based on. As we discovered during
> > the last discussion, "TV" assumes basic familiarity with "Worm".
>
> So, I need to read _Worm_ first ?
> https://parahumans.wordpress.com/table-of-contents/

What's a few million words of fiction between friends?..
Robert Carnegie
2018-06-11 23:09:07 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Monday, 11 June 2018 22:54:09 UTC+1, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 6/9/2018 8:24 PM, Ahasuerus wrote:
> > On Saturday, June 9, 2018 at 8:38:47 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> >> Has anyone read Taylor Varga ?
> >>
> >> https://excessverbosity.wordpress.com/fiction-2/fanfiction-list/tv-intro/
> > [snip]
> >
> > Apparently the answer is "yes" -- see
> > https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/rec.arts.sf.written/OiUHwRKPwx4/YTDR7dS5AgAJ
> >
> > Warning: the sub-thread may contain spoilers for "Taylor Varga" and
> > the Web serial "Worm", which "TV" is based on. As we discovered during
> > the last discussion, "TV" assumes basic familiarity with "Worm".
>
> So, I need to read _Worm_ first ?
> https://parahumans.wordpress.com/table-of-contents/

I think a view was taken that you actually don't need
to, whatever is "assumed", although setting details
from _Worm_ will be easier to appreciate if familiar.

But it seemed to be more the opposite - if you've read
_Worm_ then you ought to read _Taylor Varga_ to get
over it. Although you do have a taste for apocalypse
survival tales. _Worm_ seems to be more non-survival...
Peter Volk
2018-06-12 13:11:11 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Mon, 11 Jun 2018 16:09:07 -0700 (PDT), Robert Carnegie
<***@excite.com> wrote:

>On Monday, 11 June 2018 22:54:09 UTC+1, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> On 6/9/2018 8:24 PM, Ahasuerus wrote:
>> > On Saturday, June 9, 2018 at 8:38:47 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> >> Has anyone read Taylor Varga ?
>> >>
>> >> https://excessverbosity.wordpress.com/fiction-2/fanfiction-list/tv-intro/
>> > [snip]
>> >
>> > Apparently the answer is "yes" -- see
>> > https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/rec.arts.sf.written/OiUHwRKPwx4/YTDR7dS5AgAJ
>> >
>> > Warning: the sub-thread may contain spoilers for "Taylor Varga" and
>> > the Web serial "Worm", which "TV" is based on. As we discovered during
>> > the last discussion, "TV" assumes basic familiarity with "Worm".
>>
>> So, I need to read _Worm_ first ?
>> https://parahumans.wordpress.com/table-of-contents/
>
>I think a view was taken that you actually don't need
>to, whatever is "assumed", although setting details
>from _Worm_ will be easier to appreciate if familiar.
>
>But it seemed to be more the opposite - if you've read
>_Worm_ then you ought to read _Taylor Varga_ to get
>over it. Although you do have a taste for apocalypse
>survival tales. _Worm_ seems to be more non-survival...

I haven't read Worm, and I enjoyed Taylor Varga. OTOH I have read a
lot of Worm fanfic, so the setting wasn't strange to me.

Peter
Loading...