Pure sci-fi - what NASA could accomplish if it had the US military’s $600 billion budget
Add Reply
a425couple
2018-06-04 03:19:27 UTC
from
http://www.businessinsider.com/what-nasa-do-with-us-military-budget-2017-7

Go to the site and watch the video, or, if you can't,
here is my attempt to cut and paste.

Here’s what NASA could accomplish if it had the US military’s $600
billion budget
Fernando Marinho and Jessica Orwig
Jul. 7, 2017, 1:44 PM 169,755

NASA has been a household name for Americans since the '60s when it
achieved the seemingly impossible, landing humans on the Moon.

Since then, NASA has explored other alien surfaces like, Mars and
Saturn's moon Titan, as well as flown by every planet in our solar system.

It has achieved so much on a budget that is so small. Imagine if we gave
NASA hundreds of billions of dollars a year like what we give the US
military. What more could NASA have achieved over the years?

This is one example where the sky is not the limit — it's the starting
line. Following is a transcript of the video.

The US spends more on space exploration than any other country in the
world.
(Graphics show US 39.3, China 6.1, Russia 5.2, Japan 3.5,
France 2.7, Germany 1.7, Italy 1.2, India 1.1, Canada 0.4
UK 0.3 !! What a bunch of slackers!!)
A big chunk of this investment goes to NASA, the country's leading
agency for space exploration. (Total 2.77 trillion, NASA 18 billion)

But that's still a pittance compared to the overall US Federal budget.
Since NASA landed the first man on the Moon in 1969, its budget has
plummeted from 4.5% of the Federal budget to less than 0.5%.

But what if NASA's budget hadn't shrunk? What if, instead, its funding
was comparable to the US military's?

How close would we be to actually colonizing Mars or visiting another
star system?

It's impossible to know for sure, but here's a look at how NASA's budget
compared to the US military's in 2016.

Put another way, the military's budget for 2016 would pay for a crewed
mission to Mars with tens of billions to spare. NASA estimates it would
cost $450 billion to land the first humans on Mars by the late 2030s or
early 2040s.

What else might NASA do with $600 billion? Let's look at how NASA
allocated its funds in 2016.
(Science 28%, exploration 24%, operations 21%,safety 15%, other 10%)
That would easily meet current costs for NASA's biggest ongoing projects
including:

• Construction and launch costs for the most powerful rocket in history,
the Space Launch System.
• The most powerful space telescope ever built, the James Webb Space
Telescope.
• Partner with SpaceX on its first mission to Mars in 2018, the Red
Dragon Mission.
• Pay for NASA operations on board the ISS through 2024.

So, how would you have NASA spend the rest?

We can think of some ideas.

Follow Tech Insider: On Facebook
J. Clarke
2018-06-04 23:29:00 UTC
Post by a425couple
from
http://www.businessinsider.com/what-nasa-do-with-us-military-budget-2017-7
Go to the site and watch the video, or, if you can't,
here is my attempt to cut and paste.
Here’s what NASA could accomplish if it had the US military’s $600
billion budget
Fernando Marinho and Jessica Orwig
Jul. 7, 2017, 1:44 PM 169,755
It would accomplish the spreading of pork on a massive scale, which is
all that NASA is good at anymore.

Imagine you gave Elon Musk that budget now. He'd _do_ something with
it.
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
2018-06-04 23:40:27 UTC
On Sun, 3 Jun 2018 20:19:27 -0700, a425couple
Post by a425couple
from
http://www.businessinsider.com/what-nasa-do-with-us-military-budg
et-2017-7
Go to the site and watch the video, or, if you can't,
here is my attempt to cut and paste.
Here’s what NASA could accomplish if it had the US military’s
$600 billion budget
Fernando Marinho and Jessica Orwig
Jul. 7, 2017, 1:44 PM 169,755
It would accomplish the spreading of pork on a massive scale,
which is all that NASA is good at anymore.
Imagine you gave Elon Musk that budget now. He'd _do_ something
with it.
Yeah, he'd probably start a hundred more companies that do nothing of
value or interest to the real world, but play well on the internet
(and look good on the prospectus), with impossible goals.

But we might actually get rid of him if he actually goes to Mars.