[Because My Tears Are Delicious To You] Spartan Planet (John Grimes, book 5) by A. Bertram Chandler
2018-06-10 12:59:59 UTC
Spartan Planet (John Grimes, book 5) by A. Bertram Chandler

https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/rough-and-tough-and-strong-and-mean
Magewolf
2018-06-10 17:57:29 UTC
On 6/10/2018 8:59 AM, James Nicoll wrote:
> Spartan Planet (John Grimes, book 5) by A. Bertram Chandler
>
> https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/rough-and-tough-and-strong-and-mean

I always assumed that Bujold had read it. Ethan of Athos read as
something of a "I could do that better" story to me when I first read it.
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2018-06-10 18:12:20 UTC
In article <pfjoqd$793$***@dont-email.me>, Magewolf <***@nc.rr.com> wrote:
>On 6/10/2018 8:59 AM, James Nicoll wrote:
>> Spartan Planet (John Grimes, book 5) by A. Bertram Chandler
>>
>> https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/rough-and-tough-and-strong-and-mean
>>
>I always assumed that Bujold had read it. Ethan of Athos read as
>something of a "I could do that better" story to me when I first read it.

Poul Anderson went the other way in _Virgin Planet_ iirc.
2018-06-10 20:25:51 UTC

She could have been inspired by Virgin Planet, which was a much better known book.
Quadibloc
2018-06-10 20:49:42 UTC
On Sunday, June 10, 2018 at 11:57:36 AM UTC-6, Magewolf wrote:
> On 6/10/2018 8:59 AM, James Nicoll wrote:
> > Spartan Planet (John Grimes, book 5) by A. Bertram Chandler

> > https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/rough-and-tough-and-strong-and-mean

> I always assumed that Bujold had read it. Ethan of Athos read as
> something of a "I could do that better" story to me when I first read it.

Not having read Ethan of Athos, I can't comment on how similar it may have been
to Spartan Planet.

But as for this basic plot premise, it was also used in the _Starlost_ episode
"The Goddess Calabra".

2018-06-10 23:41:52 UTC
Quadibloc <***@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:

>On Sunday, June 10, 2018 at 11:57:36 AM UTC-6, Magewolf wrote:
>> On 6/10/2018 8:59 AM, James Nicoll wrote:
>> > Spartan Planet (John Grimes, book 5) by A. Bertram Chandler
>
>> > https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/rough-and-tough-and-strong-and-mean
>
>> I always assumed that Bujold had read it. Ethan of Athos read as
>> something of a "I could do that better" story to me when I first read it.
>
>Not having read Ethan of Athos, I can't comment on how similar it may have been
>to Spartan Planet.

Virgin planet is an easier setup. EoA was an all-MALE society.

Magewolf
2018-06-11 17:27:53 UTC
On 6/10/2018 7:41 PM, Greg Goss wrote:
> Quadibloc <***@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:

>>> I always assumed that Bujold had read it. Ethan of Athos read as
>>> something of a "I could do that better" story to me when I first read it.
>>
>> Not having read Ethan of Athos, I can't comment on how similar it may have been
>> to Spartan Planet.
>
> Virgin planet is an easier setup. EoA was an all-MALE society.
>
>> But as for this basic plot premise, it was also used in the _Starlost_ episode
>> "The Goddess Calabra".
>>
>> John Savard

And the all male colony world was used for the Saber Marionette
franchise. So it is something that comes up every now and then.

Of course the Saber Marionette backstory never made much sense. The
colony was founded by the six male survivors of a colony ship with the
help of some cloning equipment. But as was shown and talked about they
were able to manipulate the genes enough so everyone looked different
but for some reason they were not able to just throw two X chromosomes
together to get a female. And it is not like they did not want woman
around when you consider the wacky lengths the rulers go to to try to
get one.

It would have been more sensible as six women cloning a planet of women
since in that case they would have had to fabricate a Y chromosome from
scratch.
Robert Carnegie
2018-06-11 20:26:03 UTC
On Monday, 11 June 2018 18:28:00 UTC+1, Magewolf wrote:
> On 6/10/2018 7:41 PM, Greg Goss wrote:
> > Quadibloc <***@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:

> >> Not having read Ethan of Athos, I can't comment on how similar it may have been
> >> to Spartan Planet.
> >
> > Virgin planet is an easier setup. EoA was an all-MALE society.
> >
> >> But as for this basic plot premise, it was also used in the _Starlost_ episode
> >> "The Goddess Calabra".
> >>
> >> John Savard
> >

> And the all male colony world was used for the Saber Marionette
> franchise. So it is something that comes up every now and then.
>
> Of course the Saber Marionette backstory never made much sense. The
> colony was founded by the six male survivors of a colony ship with the
> help of some cloning equipment. But as was shown and talked about they
> were able to manipulate the genes enough so everyone looked different
> but for some reason they were not able to just throw two X chromosomes
> together to get a female. And it is not like they did not want woman
> around when you consider the wacky lengths the rulers go to to try to
> get one.

Also: <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rimmerworld>

I dare you.

> It would have been more sensible as six women cloning a planet of women
> since in that case they would have had to fabricate a Y chromosome from
> scratch.

It's basically hormones though?