Thoughts on TMFE, ss "Project Nightmare"
a425couple
2018-03-30 03:12:20 UTC
(In 2011 I posted this on the heinlein group only,
guess I did not then know about this newsgroup.)

IMHO, here is a really great short story from Heinlein's
book "The Menace From Earth" - collected short stories.
This from "Project Nightmare".

"Russian Embasy today handed State ultimatum --
Demands USA convert to 'peoples republic'---- Note claims major
US cities (list separate) are mined with Atomic Bombs which they
threaten to set off by radio if terms are not met by ---"

This was written about 1953. If I understand & recall correctly,
in our time line, this (sneaking in of nuclear weapons) was a
'medium' threat, then with the Cold War & MAD became a 'low'
level threat, with quite minimal inspections of incoming cargo.
Now, it is way up there and serious work is being done at all ship
and air ports etc.
Meanwhile, in case anyone missed noting, Heinlein really, really,
disliked communist Russia.
This is IMHO a real great story with a delicious ending. Turns
out I got the book at Half Price Bookstores, so with printed cover
price of $2.50, $1.25 = great bargain!

also
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Nightmare
"The story posits the reality of clairvoyance and telekinetic
ability among a small number of people."
Why does everybody feel free to pick on poor Cleveland??
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12894083-project-nightmare

I'm not able to find a youtube reading of this story,
nor a full text of it. Copyright I'm sure!
a425couple
2018-03-30 20:17:31 UTC
---IMHO, here is a really great short story from Heinlein's
book "The Menace From Earth" - collected short stories.
This from "Project Nightmare".
"Russian Embasy today handed State ultimatum --
Demands USA convert to 'peoples republic'---- Note claims major
US cities (list separate) are mined with Atomic Bombs which they
threaten to set off by radio if terms are not met by ---"
This was written about 1953. ---
This is IMHO a real great story with a delicious ending.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Nightmare
  "The story posits the reality of clairvoyance and telekinetic
   ability among a small number of people."
  Why does everybody feel free to pick on poor Cleveland??
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12894083-project-nightmare
I'm not able to find a youtube reading of this story,
nor a full text of it.
Well, here we pretty much got it!
The complete reading of the book "The Menace From Earth"
- collected short stories.

The Menace from Earth by Robert A Heinlein audiobook full
7 hours, 12 minutes.

And my book is 189 pages long, and the story
"Project Nightmare" is on page 158 - goes to 178.
Butch Malahide
2018-03-31 00:52:19 UTC
Post by a425couple
I'm not able to find a youtube reading of this story,
nor a full text of it. Copyright I'm sure!
You can read Project Nightmare in the April-May 1953 issue of Amazing stories:

https://archive.org/details/Amazing_Stories_v27n04_1953-04-05_Gorgon776

https://archive.org/stream/Amazing_Stories_v27n04_1953-04-05_Gorgon776#page/n19/mode/2up