"The Martian" - new evidence of Spuds on Mars!
a425couple
2017-03-11 03:16:19 UTC
Spuds on Mars: Potatoes Can Sprout in Red Planet Environment,
Study Suggests
By Elizabeth Howell, Space.com Contributor | March 10, 2017

(there is a video at the citation)

Potatoes may be able to feed real-life Red Planet explorers, just as they
sustained fictional astronaut Mark Watney in the book and movie "The
Martian," an ongoing experiment suggests.

On Feb. 14, 2016, researchers at the International Potato Center in Peru
(known as CIP, its Spanish acronym) planted a potato tuber in a cubesat-size
container that mimics Martian temperatures and atmospheric conditions. The
potato sprouted, as you can see in this time-lapse video.

CIP scientists characterized these preliminary results as "positive" and
said they plan to perform more experiments. [How Will a Human Mars Base
Work? NASA's Vision in Images]

"If the crops can tolerate the extreme conditions that we are exposing them
to in our cubesat, they have a good chance to grow on Mars," Julio
Valdivia-Silva, a research associate with the SETI (Search for
Extraterrestrial Intelligence) Institute in California who works at the
University of Engineering and Technology in Lima, said in a statement.

"We will do several rounds of experiments to find out which potato varieties
do best," Valdivia-Silva added. "We want to know what the minimum conditions
are that a potato needs to survive."

You can see the potatoes growing live at http://potatoes.space/mars.

All of this potato research could have both Earthly and space-based
applications, the scientists said. CIP breeds potato clones that can
tolerate high salt conditions or drought. These potato varieties allow small
farmers to keep growing food, even in areas that are not prime agricultural
land (or those that have been affected by climate change).

"Lessons learned from the experiments could be applied in Earthly
agriculture settings to increase food security around the world," Darryl
Waller, a public affairs officer at NASA's Ames Research Center in
California, told Space.com via email.

NASA Ames is involved with the potato-growth experiments via astrobiologist
Chris McKay, Waller added. McKay has a proposal to investigate Martian plant
growth using harsh Pampas de La Joya desert sand from Peru as an analogue.
McKay is working with Valdivia-Silva and Melissa Guzman, two affiliated
former student contractors.

"This project is a scientific collaboration building on past and current
investigations of Mars-like environments here on Earth to better understand
the Red Planet," Waller added. Studying Mars analogues like the deserts of
Peru allows scientists to "learn more about environments previously thought
too extreme to harbor life," he noted.

The soil composition inside the current container was not disclosed in the
statement, but a 2016 CIP experiment combined a Martian regolith analogue
with ordinary Earth soil. Potatoes grew in that mixture - a finding that
could help guide future efforts to establish human outposts on the Red
Planet.

"Future Mars missions that hope to grow potatoes will have to prepare soil
with a loose structure and nutrients to allow the tubers to obtain enough
air and water to allow it to tuberize," CIP researchers said in the same
statement.

Follow Elizabeth Howell @howellspace, or Space.com @Spacedotcom. We're also
on Facebook and Google+. Original article on Space.com.
Editor's Recommendations

Potatoes Growing In Mars-Like Conditions - Time-Lapse Video
'The Martian' Cast's Q&A With Space Station Crew | Video
Buzz Aldrin: How To Get Your Ass To Mars | Video
How Living on Mars Could Challenge Colonists (Infographic)

http://www.space.com/36015-potatoes-grow-mars-conditions-experiment.html
Cryptoengineer
2017-03-11 16:22:10 UTC
Post by a425couple
http://www.space.com/36015-potatoes-grow-mars-conditions-experiment.html
This really brings home how crappy journalism is these days - eventually,
clicking through links, I figured out that the only 'Martian' conditions
involved are soil, and atmospheric composition (not pressure). They are
supplying warmth, pressure, and water far beyond what can be expected
on the Martian surface.

pt
a425couple
2017-03-11 17:20:47 UTC
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by a425couple
http://www.space.com/36015-potatoes-grow-mars-conditions-experiment.html
This really brings home how crappy journalism is these days - eventually,
clicking through links, I figured out that the only 'Martian' conditions
involved are soil, and atmospheric composition (not pressure). They are
supplying warmth, pressure, and water far beyond what can be expected
on the Martian surface.
pt
OK,,,,,,
I guess I'm thinking that if they proved/knew that,
it would be pretty good.
I am just not real confident they have the Martian soil
composition down exactly correct.

I'm thinking, that if they actually had 1 cubic yard
of real Mars soil (from any surface area they chose)
and all they had to do was put it in a pressurized
(Mars atmoshpere) area, add water and heat ------
--- and they proved it could grow human edible crops ----
--- that would be great!
Kevrob
2017-03-11 17:35:58 UTC
Post by a425couple
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by a425couple
[...]
I'm actually more intrigued by the development, through
both GM methods, and breeding heritage strains, of
praties resistant to Late Blight.

I don't know if "I moved to Mars to escape the potato famine"
may be too much of a Paddy O'Durston story springboard.

Kevin R
nuny@bid.nes
2017-03-11 21:02:37 UTC
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by a425couple
http://www.space.com/36015-potatoes-grow-mars-conditions-experiment.html
This really brings home how crappy journalism is these days - eventually,
clicking through links, I figured out that the only 'Martian' conditions
involved are soil, and atmospheric composition (not pressure). They are
supplying warmth, pressure, and water far beyond what can be expected
on the Martian surface.
The soil simulant isn't well described either. IIRC Niven's Martians biochemistry was so weird they burst into flame on contact with human-shirtsleeve air because of the moisture, not the oxygen. I also recall his idea was based on early Viking Lander indications the Martian soil was very reactive to water and whatnot, and current science indicates it's loaded with nasty perchlorates and stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martian_soil

Are there any Earth lifeforms that could survive/thrive in that (even given a little extra added water) which don't currently live in volcano vents? I mean, even water bears would have a hard time on raw Martian soil at local STP even ignoring the solar UV and other radiation, right?

I see some extreme environmentalists promoting insects as the Next Big Thing in mass-market proteins, but expecting Martian colonists to survive on water bear soup would be going a bit too far.

Mark L. Fergerson
a***@yahoo.com
So basically you're saying that they didn't shed significant light on this issue? (Previous discussion in this group about "The Martian" novel suggests that getting enough light on Mars to grow potatoes was going to be a real problem. )
Cryptoengineer
2017-03-14 02:01:02 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by a425couple
http://www.space.com/36015-potatoes-grow-mars-conditions-experiment.
html
This really brings home how crappy journalism is these days -
eventually, clicking through links, I figured out that the only
'Martian' conditions involved are soil, and atmospheric composition
(not pressure). They are supplying warmth, pressure, and water far
beyond what can be expected on the Martian surface.
So basically you're saying that they didn't shed significant light on
this issue? (Previous discussion in this group about "The Martian"
novel suggests that getting enough light on Mars to grow potatoes was
going to be a real problem. )
Reading the popsci headlines and articles seemed to imply that
they were growing under 'Martian Conditions'; ie, sub-zero cold,
near vacuum, and high radiation. That is to say, in the way Mark
Watney couldn't; He grew them indoors, in a steamy room.

Its actually really hard to find *anything* which puts numbers
on the conditions. They're using South American desert soils,
and 95% CO2. But the clear box they're growing them in sure doesn't
look like it could hold a vacuum, nor does it appear to be
refrigerated. The press release talks about 'delivering nutrient
rich water' so the temperature must be above freezing, and the
pressure (described as 'low' in the video) high enough to keep it
from vaporizing.

The CIPs website for the project is remarkably number-free, so
it isn't the just the journalists who are not providing data.
I get the strong feeling that this is a mainly a PR effort by
CIP, more than it is a serious endeavour. Why won't they list
the actual pressure and temperature?

pt
Robert Carnegie
2017-03-14 08:53:57 UTC
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by a425couple
[...]
On Mars, Earth-ish pressure and temperature are
achievable, or there's no point sending people.
And if there aren't people there, just the robots
like now, then there isn't a lot of point growing
potatoes anyway. They're kind of expensive to
export back to Earth.
nuny@bid.nes
2017-03-14 18:29:09 UTC
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by a425couple
[...]
The actual CIP goal AIUI is to end up with potatoes that will flourish in the Atacama and similar harsh environments. The Mars thing is a handy SF/movie clickbait tie-in.
Post by Robert Carnegie
On Mars, Earth-ish pressure and temperature are
achievable, or there's no point sending people.
And if there aren't people there, just the robots
like now, then there isn't a lot of point growing
potatoes anyway. They're kind of expensive to
export back to Earth.
Still, there are extreme foodies here on Earth who would buy them. I mean, they buy 24k gold sundaes and $5000 burgers...

http://www.businessinsider.com/14-most-expensive-restaurant-dishes-2011-3

Mark L. Fergerson
Kevrob
2017-03-15 08:29:43 UTC
Post by ***@bid.nes
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Post by Robert Carnegie
On Mars, Earth-ish pressure and temperature are
achievable, or there's no point sending people.
And if there aren't people there, just the robots
like now, then there isn't a lot of point growing
potatoes anyway. They're kind of expensive to
export back to Earth.
Still, there are extreme foodies here on Earth who would buy them. I mean, they buy 24k gold sundaes and $5000 burgers...
http://www.businessinsider.com/14-most-expensive-restaurant-dishes-2011-3
"...but are they organic, artisanal martian potatoes?"

Kevin R
Robert Carnegie
2017-03-15 19:33:29 UTC
Post by Kevrob
Post by ***@bid.nes
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Post by Robert Carnegie
On Mars, Earth-ish pressure and temperature are
achievable, or there's no point sending people.
And if there aren't people there, just the robots
like now, then there isn't a lot of point growing
potatoes anyway. They're kind of expensive to
export back to Earth.
Still, there are extreme foodies here on Earth who would buy them. I mean, they buy 24k gold sundaes and $5000 burgers...
http://www.businessinsider.com/14-most-expensive-restaurant-dishes-2011-3
"...but are they organic, artisanal martian potatoes?"
Hand-farmed by NASA's own Transformers.