Stephen Baxter -- The massacre of mankind, sequel to War of the Worlds
j***@gmail.com
2018-03-12 17:56:33 UTC
https://www.amazon.com/Massacre-Mankind-Sequel-War-Worlds/dp/1524760129

Check this out. Absolutely the best fusion of science fiction and alternate history I've ever seen, by the Dean of British science fiction writers, Stephen Baxter -- an Arthur C. Clarke protege. I've just started it, but, he's basically treating the original War of the Worlds as an actual event, and treating subsequent events accordingly. So, Britain becomes a fascist state headed by a triumvirate including Winston Churchill and Lloyd George, Germany easily crushes France in 1914 with Britain staying out of the War, women never get the vote, the War between Russia and Germany is still ongoing in 1921 etc. etc. etc. Contemporary science circa 1921 is fused with "Martian" science. For example, Freud's psycho-sexual theories are somewhat discredited because the Martians are asexual! As Mr. Spock would have said -- "Fascinating"!

Something of an apocalyptic vision and a dystopia too, reflecting, no doubt, current cynicism about the state of the world, and where we are heading. H.G. Wells must be spinning in his grave!
Lynn McGuire
2018-03-12 18:22:36 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
[...]
I like Baxter very much but the reviews are not good. His _Flood_ books
were awesome.
https://www.amazon.com/Flood-Stephen-Baxter/dp/0451463285/

I am reading an apparently much better alien invasion story right now.
https://www.amazon.com/5th-Wave-Movie-Tie-First/dp/014751908X/

Lynn
j***@gmail.com
2018-03-12 19:19:05 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
[...]
Well, reviews aren't everything, you know Lynn. I think what impresses me about this book, is that he's doing something extremely unusual. He's attempting a highly analytical treatment of contemporary socio-political problems, and even scientific analysis, from a somewhat skewed perspective. I don't really think this is fiction, at all. It's just an unusual philosophical analysis. And, a very detailed one, too. It'll take me a few weeks to thoroughly absorb it, but, I'll be in touch, on this thread.

The use of a female narrator is highly artificial, she's about as female in her perspective as I am, however! Possibly, the fact that women don't have the right to vote in his Alternate Time Line has raised a few hackles?
Lynn McGuire
2018-03-12 22:19:58 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by j***@gmail.com
[...]
Huh. _The Fifth Wave_ also uses a female narrator / hero / protagonist.

Lynn
j***@gmail.com
2018-03-13 12:57:13 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by j***@gmail.com
[...]
I've gotten about half way through the book now, and, it is certainly unique. You see we have the framework of scientist/author H.G. Wells as a base, from the original War of the Worlds. And, Stephen Baxter extrapolates VERY systematically the implications of EARLY twentieth century science for modern issues such as feminism, encounters with alien life forms, the possibility of a Third World War, and, even, life on Jupiter. This isn't really fiction. It's speculative science, from a truly unusual perspective.