How's _Ready Player One_ the book?
2018-03-31 16:48:46 UTC
I found the movie a bit underwhelming. Is the book better?
My kindle "special offers" screen keeps pitching it at me.

(semi spoiler)

Does the scene where a bunch of freshly groomed competent looking
cops show up at the end make more sense?
Moriarty
2018-03-31 21:27:19 UTC
On Sunday, April 1, 2018 at 2:48:49 AM UTC+10, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> I found the movie a bit underwhelming. Is the book better?
> My kindle "special offers" screen keeps pitching it at me.

I've not (yet) seen the movie, but the book was excellent. You may read my fanboyish review here:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/rec.arts.sf.written/pCpLYPuomLM/DDtPORKrX5IJ;context-place=forum/rec.arts.sf.written

> (semi spoiler)
>
> Does the scene where a bunch of freshly groomed competent looking
> cops show up at the end make more sense?

That scene isn't in the book.

-Moriarty
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2018-04-01 05:12:11 UTC
In article <31957aa4-eab0-417a-9096-***@googlegroups.com>,
Moriarty <***@ivillage.com> wrote:
>On Sunday, April 1, 2018 at 2:48:49 AM UTC+10, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
>> I found the movie a bit underwhelming. Is the book better?
>> My kindle "special offers" screen keeps pitching it at me.
>
>I've not (yet) seen the movie, but the book was excellent. You may read
>my fanboyish review here:
>
>https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/rec.arts.sf.written/pCpLYPuomLM/DDtPORKrX5IJ;context-place=forum/rec.arts.sf.written
>
>> (semi spoiler)
>>
>> Does the scene where a bunch of freshly groomed competent looking
>> cops show up at the end make more sense?
>
>That scene isn't in the book.
>
>-Moriarty

Thanks. I think I'll probably check it out then.
Cryptoengineer
2018-04-02 02:26:06 UTC
***@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) wrote in

> In article <31957aa4-eab0-417a-9096-***@googlegroups.com>,
> Moriarty <***@ivillage.com> wrote:
>>On Sunday, April 1, 2018 at 2:48:49 AM UTC+10, Ted Nolan <tednolan>
>>wrote:
>>> I found the movie a bit underwhelming. Is the book better?
>>> My kindle "special offers" screen keeps pitching it at me.
>>
>>I've not (yet) seen the movie, but the book was excellent. You may
>>read my fanboyish review here:
>>
>>https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/rec.arts.sf.written/pCpLYPuomLM/D
>>DtPORKrX5IJ;context-place=forum/rec.arts.sf.written
>>
>>> (semi spoiler)
>>>
>>> Does the scene where a bunch of freshly groomed competent looking
>>> cops show up at the end make more sense?
>>
>>That scene isn't in the book.
>>
>>-Moriarty
>
> Thanks. I think I'll probably check it out then.

I saw the movie on Friday, but haven't read the book. I too found the
cops *finally* showing in the last 5 minutes incongrouous - where were
they during the earlier real-world parts, where the baddies organization
was going way, way over what is plausible even for corporate badness?

However, the movie overall was a fun romp. I watched in IMAX/3D, and
had a great time.

2018-04-02 02:52:22 UTC
In article <***@216.166.97.131>,
Cryptoengineer <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>***@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) wrote in
>
>> In article <31957aa4-eab0-417a-9096-***@googlegroups.com>,
>> Moriarty <***@ivillage.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>I've not (yet) seen the movie, but the book was excellent. You may
>>>read my fanboyish review here:
>>>
>>>https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/rec.arts.sf.written/pCpLYPuomLM/D
>>>DtPORKrX5IJ;context-place=forum/rec.arts.sf.written

>>>That scene isn't in the book.
>>>
>>>-Moriarty
>>
>> Thanks. I think I'll probably check it out then.
>
>I saw the movie on Friday, but haven't read the book. I too found the
>cops *finally* showing in the last 5 minutes incongrouous - where were
>they during the earlier real-world parts, where the baddies organization
>was going way, way over what is plausible even for corporate badness?
>
>However, the movie overall was a fun romp. I watched in IMAX/3D, and
>had a great time.
>
>pt

I'm certainly not sorry I saw it, but I never felt "Hell Yeah!"

Maybe I should have tried the 3d, but I find that with glasses myself,
non-imax 3d usually is usually dim and more trouble than it's worth.
(I have managed to be near the golf imax in FL for the last three Star
Wars premeries..)
2018-04-02 04:47:29 UTC
Ted Nolan <tednolan> <***@loft.tnolan.com> wrote:
> In article <***@216.166.97.131>,
> Cryptoengineer <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>>***@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) wrote in

>>> Thanks. I think I'll probably check it out then.
>>
>>I saw the movie on Friday, but haven't read the book. I too found the
>>cops *finally* showing in the last 5 minutes incongrouous - where were
>>they during the earlier real-world parts, where the baddies organization
>>was going way, way over what is plausible even for corporate badness?
>>
>>However, the movie overall was a fun romp. I watched in IMAX/3D, and
>>had a great time.
>>
>>pt
>
> I'm certainly not sorry I saw it, but I never felt "Hell Yeah!"
>
> Maybe I should have tried the 3d, but I find that with glasses myself,
> non-imax 3d usually is usually dim and more trouble than it's worth.
> (I have managed to be near the golf imax in FL for the last three Star
> Wars premeries..)

Although the trailer stacks in the novel piqued my interest it sort of
went downhill when the game play started in earnest. Before long the
eight deadly words loomed large in my mind and the book was closed half
way through the story.
It probably works for computer game players. It probably gives them
a feel-good nostalgic vibe. It just doesn't do too much for me, outside
of the trailer stacks.

Don
Juho Julkunen
2018-04-02 21:12:44 UTC
In article <***@crcomp.net>, ***@crcomp.net says...

> Although the trailer stacks in the novel piqued my interest it sort of
> went downhill when the game play started in earnest. Before long the
> eight deadly words loomed large in my mind and the book was closed half
> way through the story.
> It probably works for computer game players. It probably gives them
> a feel-good nostalgic vibe. It just doesn't do too much for me, outside
> of the trailer stacks.

I have been known to play a computer game now and again, and I have no
desire to read (or see) _Ready Player One_. All the things I've heard
about it, and the excerpts I've seen, have been pretty terrible.

--
Juho Julkunen