[tor dot com] Single gender worlds in SF
2018-07-25 14:49:23 UTC
Single gendered worlds in SF

https://www.tor.com/2018/07/25/single-gender-planets-in-science-fiction/
2018-07-25 18:32:29 UTC
Single gendered worlds in SF
https://www.tor.com/2018/07/25/single-gender-planets-in-science-fiction/
I am surprised that you do not talk about the special case of Ann
Leckie's _Ancillary Justice_.

https://www.amazon.com/Ancillary-Justice-Imperial-Radch-Leckie/dp/031624662X/

2018-07-25 18:38:43 UTC
Single gendered worlds in SF
https://www.tor.com/2018/07/25/single-gender-planets-in-science-fiction/
I am surprised that you do not talk about the special case of Ann
Leckie's _Ancillary Justice_.
https://www.amazon.com/Ancillary-Justice-Imperial-Radch-Leckie/dp/031624662X/
Lynn
There are females and males (and no doubt other genders) in that. It's just
Radch language doesn't bother tracking the distinctions. The lead being
who she is, she is even less interested in that parameter.
2018-07-25 20:54:02 UTC
Single gendered worlds in SF
https://www.tor.com/2018/07/25/single-gender-planets-in-science-fiction/
I am surprised that you do not talk about the special case of Ann
Leckie's _Ancillary Justice_.
https://www.amazon.com/Ancillary-Justice-Imperial-Radch-Leckie/dp/031624662X/
Lynn
There are females and males (and no doubt other genders) in that. It's just
Radch language doesn't bother tracking the distinctions. The lead being
who she is, she is even less interested in that parameter.
That has been explained to Lynn only once already this month so it won't
have sunk in yet.
David Johnston
2018-07-25 23:59:05 UTC
Single gendered worlds in SF
https://www.tor.com/2018/07/25/single-gender-planets-in-science-fiction/
As far as Plague Ship goes, well Norton does explain where the Salariki
females are. They're kept away from the foreigners until they've
decided whether or not to kill or trade with them and their sojourn on
the planet is almost over by then. The curious thing about Norton's
space universe is that while later on she does introduce women with
quite dangerous jobs like archaeologist, burglar, animal trainer, mob
boss, and psychic entertainer (well it's dangerous the way she does it),
women are totally debarred from any starship crew position. In stories
set later in the rough time time she specifically mentions that when the
Free Traders have become an autonomous culture, their women are never
seen in space. It's even mentioned by one of her female protagonists as
the reason why trying to get a job with the Free Traders who are giving
her a lift is just not on.
Ahasuerus
2018-07-26 00:31:55 UTC
Single gendered worlds in SF
https://www.tor.com/2018/07/25/single-gender-planets-in-science-fiction/
As far as Plague Ship goes, well Norton does explain where the Salariki
females are. They're kept away from the foreigners until they've
decided whether or not to kill or trade with them and their sojourn on
the planet is almost over by then. The curious thing about Norton's
space universe is that while later on she does introduce women with
quite dangerous jobs like archaeologist, burglar, animal trainer, mob
boss, and psychic entertainer (well it's dangerous the way she does it),
women are totally debarred from any starship crew position. [snip]
The idea that there are certain differences between men and women
which affect their paths in lives, including their choice of
occupation, wasn't uncommon in early-mid-20th century SF, including SF
written by women. I recall similar notions in E. Nesbit's _Five
Children and It_ (1902) and Eleanor Cameron's _The Wonderful Flight
to the Mushroom Planet_ (1954).
Garrett Wollman
2018-07-26 00:42:57 UTC
Post by Ahasuerus
The idea that there are certain differences between men and women
which affect their paths in lives, including their choice of
occupation, wasn't uncommon in early-mid-20th century SF, including SF
written by women.
This should hardly be surprising to anyone, given that (this
particular flavor of) essentialism was quite common and accepted until
very recently.

-GAWollman
***@bimajority.org| act to remove constraint from the future. This is
Moriarty
2018-07-26 00:57:31 UTC
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by Ahasuerus
The idea that there are certain differences between men and women
which affect their paths in lives, including their choice of
occupation, wasn't uncommon in early-mid-20th century SF, including SF
written by women.
This should hardly be surprising to anyone, given that (this
particular flavor of) essentialism was quite common and accepted until
very recently.
It's still very common in most parts of the world.

-Moriarty
John Halpenny
2018-07-26 01:08:15 UTC
Post by Moriarty
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by Ahasuerus
The idea that there are certain differences between men and women
which affect their paths in lives, including their choice of
occupation, wasn't uncommon in early-mid-20th century SF, including SF
written by women.
This should hardly be surprising to anyone, given that (this
particular flavor of) essentialism was quite common and accepted until
very recently.
It's still very common in most parts of the world.
It is only very recently that the emphasis on workplace safety and working conditions have made almost all jobs so safe and pleasant that women want to do them..... (ducks and runs)

John
Dan Tilque
2018-07-26 21:02:19 UTC
Post by Moriarty
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by Ahasuerus
The idea that there are certain differences between men and women
which affect their paths in lives, including their choice of
occupation, wasn't uncommon in early-mid-20th century SF, including SF
written by women.
This should hardly be surprising to anyone, given that (this
particular flavor of) essentialism was quite common and accepted until
very recently.
It's still very common in most parts of the world.
It's still common in the US, at least in certain demographics.
Dan Tilque
Ahasuerus
2018-07-26 01:39:34 UTC
[snip-snip]
Post by Ahasuerus
The idea that there are certain differences between men and women
which affect their paths in lives, including their choice of
occupation, wasn't uncommon in early-mid-20th century SF, including
SF written by women.
This should hardly be surprising to anyone, given that (this
particular flavor of) essentialism was quite common and accepted until
very recently.
Well, there has always been tension between Ecclesiastes:

"What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun."

and Plato's famous interpretation of Heraclitus:

"... all things pass and nothing stays, and comparing existing things
to the flow of a river, he says you could not step twice into the
same river."

The experience of the last few centuries has tilted the balance to
the point where Shaw's line:

"Pardon him; he is a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his
tribe and island are the laws of nature."

seems the way to bet.

We'll need to check again in a few centuries to see how things evolve.
Mike Van Pelt
2018-07-26 21:42:33 UTC
Post by Ahasuerus
[snip-snip]
Post by Ahasuerus
[...]
Evolve... Aye, there's the rub. How many decendents do you
contribute to future generations. One might suspect that
"enlightenment" and "wokeness" or whatever the currently trendy
buzzword is will, in the future, be found not to be a survival
trait. Assuming one believes in evolution. (Odd how many
of the people who say they do act as if they don't, and those
who say they don't act as if they do.)
--
Mike Van Pelt | "I don't advise it unless you're nuts."
mvp at calweb.com | -- Ray Wilkinson, after riding out Hurricane
KE6BVH | Ike on Surfside Beach in Galveston
David Johnston
I'm pretty sure people aren't genetically "woke".
Mike Van Pelt
2018-07-29 08:25:53 UTC
Post by Mike Van Pelt
Evolve... Aye, there's the rub. How many decendents do you
contribute to future generations. One might suspect that
"enlightenment" and "wokeness" or whatever the currently trendy
buzzword is will, in the future, be found not to be a survival
trait.
I'm pretty sure people aren't genetically "woke".
No, but I suspect a tendency to be a trend-follower
may have some genetic components.
David Johnston
Being a trend follower IS a survival trait.
Mike Van Pelt
2018-07-30 06:58:07 UTC
Post by Mike Van Pelt
Post by David Johnston
I'm pretty sure people aren't genetically "woke".
No, but I suspect a tendency to be a trend-follower
may have some genetic components.
Being a trend follower IS a survival trait.
Unless the "trend" is to jump off a cliff, eat Tide pods,
or otherwise render oneself metabolically or reproductively
challenged.
h***@gmail.com
2018-07-30 12:49:53 UTC
Post by Mike Van Pelt
Post by David Johnston
Post by Mike Van Pelt
Post by David Johnston
I'm pretty sure people aren't genetically "woke".
No, but I suspect a tendency to be a trend-follower
may have some genetic components.
Being a trend follower IS a survival trait.
Unless the "trend" is to jump off a cliff, eat Tide pods,
The eating tide pods as a modern foolish youth thing was 99% rubbish.
challenged.
Leif Roar Moldskred
2018-08-03 07:11:19 UTC
Post by Mike Van Pelt
Unless the "trend" is to jump off a cliff, eat Tide pods,
or otherwise render oneself metabolically or reproductively
challenged.
How about following trends such as believing that millenials
are eating Tide pods? Is that genetic?
Leif Roar Moldskred
David Johnston
Such trends never really catch on.
Dorothy J Heydt
2018-08-03 19:43:21 UTC
Post by Mike Van Pelt
Post by David Johnston
Post by Mike Van Pelt
Post by David Johnston
I'm pretty sure people aren't genetically "woke".
No, but I suspect a tendency to be a trend-follower
may have some genetic components.
Being a trend follower IS a survival trait.
Unless the "trend" is to jump off a cliff, eat Tide pods,
or otherwise render oneself metabolically or reproductively
challenged.
Such trends never really catch on.
Or if they do, they don't last long.

(In extreme cases, because all the trend-followers are now dead.)
2018-08-03 21:25:16 UTC
Post by Mike Van Pelt
Post by David Johnston
Post by Mike Van Pelt
Post by David Johnston
I'm pretty sure people aren't genetically "woke".
No, but I suspect a tendency to be a trend-follower
may have some genetic components.
Being a trend follower IS a survival trait.
Unless the "trend" is to jump off a cliff, eat Tide pods,
or otherwise render oneself metabolically or reproductively
challenged.
Such trends never really catch on.
Or if they do, they don't last long.
(In extreme cases, because all the trend-followers are now dead.)
Think of it as evolution in action.
2018-08-03 23:02:03 UTC
Post by Mike Van Pelt
Post by David Johnston
Post by Mike Van Pelt
Post by David Johnston
I'm pretty sure people aren't genetically "woke".
No, but I suspect a tendency to be a trend-follower
may have some genetic components.
Being a trend follower IS a survival trait.
Unless the "trend" is to jump off a cliff, eat Tide pods,
or otherwise render oneself metabolically or reproductively
challenged.
Such trends never really catch on.
Or if they do, they don't last long.
(In extreme cases, because all the trend-followers are now dead.)
Think of it as evolution in action.
AKA Darwin Award Winners !
http://www.darwinawards.com/

Hopefully they did not reproduce beforehand.

2018-08-03 23:20:54 UTC
Post by Mike Van Pelt
Post by David Johnston
Post by Mike Van Pelt
Post by David Johnston
I'm pretty sure people aren't genetically "woke".
No, but I suspect a tendency to be a trend-follower
may have some genetic components.
Being a trend follower IS a survival trait.
Unless the "trend" is to jump off a cliff, eat Tide pods,
or otherwise render oneself metabolically or reproductively
challenged.
Such trends never really catch on.
Or if they do, they don't last long.
(In extreme cases, because all the trend-followers are now
dead.)
Think of it as evolution in action.
AKA Darwin Award Winners !
http://www.darwinawards.com/
Hopefully they did not reproduce beforehand.
That is a requirement to qualify for a Darwin Award. (Note that
dying is *not* a requirement, only rendering oneself incapable of
breeding. Dying is just the most popular approach.)

2018-08-04 02:26:22 UTC
Post by Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
Post by Lynn McGuire
AKA Darwin Award Winners !
http://www.darwinawards.com/
Hopefully they did not reproduce beforehand.
That is a requirement to qualify for a Darwin Award. (Note that
dying is *not* a requirement, only rendering oneself incapable of
breeding. Dying is just the most popular approach.)
I think that there was an award "given" for a guy who shot off his
testes.

But so long as you don't get killed, such actions might enhance
breeding output"

"Bones heal, bruises fade. All we're left with are the memories made.
Pain hurts but only for a minute. Life is short so go ahead and live
it, cuz the chicks dig it."
2018-08-04 03:18:26 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
AKA Darwin Award Winners !
http://www.darwinawards.com/
Hopefully they did not reproduce beforehand.
That is a requirement to qualify for a Darwin Award. (Note that
dying is *not* a requirement, only rendering oneself incapable of
breeding. Dying is just the most popular approach.)
I think that there was an award "given" for a guy who shot off his
testes.
But so long as you don't get killed, such actions might enhance
breeding output"
"Bones heal, bruises fade. All we're left with are the memories made.
Pain hurts but only for a minute. Life is short so go ahead and live
it, cuz the chicks dig it."
--
Did Cagle and Crowe cut Vince McKewin in for part of their royalties?

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever."
- Shane Falco in THE REPLACEMENTS.

Kevin R
Ninapenda Jibini
2018-08-04 21:34:14 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
AKA Darwin Award Winners !
http://www.darwinawards.com/
Hopefully they did not reproduce beforehand.
That is a requirement to qualify for a Darwin Award. (Note that
dying is *not* a requirement, only rendering oneself incapable
of breeding. Dying is just the most popular approach.)
I think that there was an award "given" for a guy who shot off
his testes.
But so long as you don't get killed, such actions might enhance
breeding output"
in·ca·pa·ble
/?in'kap?b(?)l/

adjective
adjective: incapable

1. unable to do or achieve (something).
"Wilson blushed and was incapable of speech"

synonyms: unable to (be), not capable of, lacking the ability to
(be), not equipped to (be), lacking the experience to (be)
"they are incapable of supporting themselves"

I offer this because you apparently do not know what it means.

This will surprise exactly no one, except, perhaps you.

2018-08-05 05:26:10 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
Perhaps your limited comprehension would have succeeded if I had
phrased it as "such dangerous actions".

Things that SHOULD kill you but don't enhance your breeding chances,
according to some branches of US youth culture, as illustrated in the
song lyric you cut. With the song fragment, the meaning was obvious
to everyone but Terry.
2018-08-05 05:56:49 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
Not in the context of the Darwin Awards, which are "awarded" to those
who through their own stupidity have REMOVED themselves from the gene
pool. Getting themselves killed is the most common way of doing so but
permanently injuring one's self to be incapable of reproduction qualifies.
Ninapenda Jibini
2018-08-05 19:55:32 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
I'm beginning to think Greggie is trying to "enhance his breeding
chances."

Ninapenda Jibini
2018-08-05 19:53:37 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
Unless, of course, such things render you *incapable* of breeding.
Which was the topic at hand, that one can qualify for a Darwin
Award without dying, if one renders oneself incapable of breeding.

But do explain to us how someone who, say, blows their testicles
off with firecrackers, has enhanced their breeding chances.

Moron.

2018-08-04 00:56:29 UTC
Post by Mike Van Pelt
Post by David Johnston
Post by Mike Van Pelt
Post by David Johnston
I'm pretty sure people aren't genetically "woke".
No, but I suspect a tendency to be a trend-follower
may have some genetic components.
Being a trend follower IS a survival trait.
Unless the "trend" is to jump off a cliff, eat Tide pods,
or otherwise render oneself metabolically or reproductively
challenged.
Such trends never really catch on.
Or if they do, they don't last long.
(In extreme cases, because all the trend-followers are now dead.)
Think of it as evolution in action.
AKA Darwin Award Winners !
   http://www.darwinawards.com/
Hopefully they did not reproduce beforehand.
If they did, they aren't eligible for a Darwin Award.
2018-08-03 15:44:31 UTC
Post by Mike Van Pelt
Evolve... Aye, there's the rub. How many decendents do you
contribute to future generations. One might suspect that
"enlightenment" and "wokeness" or whatever the currently trendy
buzzword is will, in the future, be found not to be a survival
trait.
I'm pretty sure people aren't genetically "woke".
Is it really time for the summer Tie Threads Into Dune contest already?

Dave, or Farmer's one trilogy?
2018-07-26 02:37:59 UTC
Single gendered worlds in SF
https://www.tor.com/2018/07/25/single-gender-planets-in-science-fiction/
If the world of "Houston, Houston, Do You Read" (Tiptree) is all
sweetness and light, why does it need an antidote in the first place?
An antidote that the Cleo [1] pybar pbbxf hc, no doubt. :0)
Laevonoramine is an interesting word. What do you suppose it means?

Note.

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleopatra_Testing_Poisons_on_Condemned_Prisoners

Don
Robert Carnegie
2018-07-26 21:13:20 UTC
Single gendered worlds in SF
https://www.tor.com/2018/07/25/single-gender-planets-in-science-fiction/
I commented having forgotten and/or not noticed that
you didn't compose the article title. But somebody did.

Off your subject, really, I've decided that I need to
either read some serious scholarship on how romantic
relationships work in the Star Trek shows, or give up.
It's more casual and flexible than I'm used to, for sure.
After all, in an hour, less commercials, you can find,
lose, and forget the love of your life. Or loves...
One of the novels mentions Demora Sulu pairing with
another nice girl after which they go looking for a boy
they can date together. Then suddenly it's ten years
later, and whatever happened, happened offstage.
Butch Malahide
2018-07-27 02:43:50 UTC
Bob Shaw's novelette "Call Me Dumbo".
James Nicoll
2018-07-27 02:55:34 UTC
Post by Butch Malahide
Post by James Nicoll
Single gendered worlds in SF
https://www.tor.com/2018/07/25/single-gender-planets-in-science-fiction/
Bob Shaw's novelette "Call Me Dumbo".
I don't know that one!
2018-07-27 05:07:04 UTC
Post by Butch Malahide
Post by James Nicoll
Single gendered worlds in SF
https://www.tor.com/2018/07/25/single-gender-planets-in-science-fiction/
Bob Shaw's novelette "Call Me Dumbo".
I don't know that one!
"Call Me Dumbo" appears in the December 1966 edition of IF, which just
happens to be freely available at archive.org [1]. It's a sad story all
of the way from its sad title to its sad ending.
This is the second "single gender" short story read by me. Both
stories are sad, in different ways.

Note.

1. https://archive.org/details/1966-12_IF

Don
Quadibloc
2018-08-04 23:43:26 UTC
Single gendered worlds in SF
https://www.tor.com/2018/07/25/single-gender-planets-in-science-fiction/
Why are women often absent in stories with "cerebral" plots?

It isn't because Isaac Asimov, for example, believed that women were incapable
of thinking.

He just didn't want to confuse his readers. If they saw a woman character, they
would assume the hero was going to rescue her and then marry her at the end of
the story, and so the reader would be expecting something less cerebral.

I mean, take the recent movie Elysium. It's a morality play trying to get the
viewer to perhaps reconsider whether it's the right thing to do to make such an
effort to keep those people from Mexico out of the United States.

In order to insinuate itself into the viewer's mind, though, the viewer has to
see things from the point of view of the downtrodden characters. So they're not
going to be Hispanic or non-white or anything like that. Because it is clearly
white viewers whose minds need changing.

John Savard
William Hyde
2018-08-06 19:24:31 UTC
Single gendered worlds in SF
https://www.tor.com/2018/07/25/single-gender-planets-in-science-fiction/
Why are women often absent in stories with "cerebral" plots?
It isn't because Isaac Asimov, for example, believed that women were incapable
of thinking.
He just didn't want to confuse his readers. If they saw a woman character, they
would assume the hero was going to rescue her and then marry her at the end of
the story, and so the reader would be expecting something less cerebral.
Asimov has written, at great length, about his writing. In particular he has discussed the lack of female characters in his work, particularly his early work.

And he has talked about why he put more women in his work later - because he met more women. An early girlfriend (more or less) features as the female lead in "Homo Sol", and his first wife is the model for Bayta Darell.

Isaac Asimov does not agree with you about Isaac Asimov's motivations.

William Hyde