_The Infinite Sea: The Second Book of the 5th Wave_ by Rick Yancey
2018-04-07 01:07:28 UTC
_The Infinite Sea: The Second Book of the 5th Wave_ by Rick Yancey
https://www.amazon.com/Infinite-Sea-Second-Book-Wave/dp/1101996986/

Book number two of a three book young adult alien invasion series. I
read the well formatted and printed trade paperback. I am reading the
third book in the series now.

This book is just about the most depressing SF book that I have ever
read. About 98% of the human race are dead and the last 2% are not
doing very well. Implanted humans are shooting all humans in their
assigned areas. The others are putting bombs in children of ages 3 to 5
and letting them loose in inhabited areas.

We spotted the Alien spaceship when it starting braking at Mars orbit.
Ten days later, it went into orbit around the Earth. It was the size of
Manhattan and circled at 250 miles up. All attempts at communication
failed. Then the waves started.

The first wave: an EMP blast worldwide destroyed all electronics and
electrical system. A million people were killed in planes and such.

The second wave: the others dropped a rock a mile wide into the ocean.
The resulting tsunamis killed half of the world's population who lived
within 60 miles of a coastline.

The third wave: the others infected birds with a highly contagious
disease with a 97% fatality rate for humans.

The fourth wave: the others implanted many of their kind into humans who
started killing unimplanted humans. Trust no one !

The fifth wave: ...

My rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars (1,496 reviews)

2018-04-07 01:11:33 UTC
[...]
Sheesh. Thank you for letting me know about this so I don't read
it by mistaken.
2018-04-07 09:38:41 UTC
[...]
Lynn
Just to check: "the others" throughout means the space aliens?
Unless there's a twist and they aren't aliens. Since they seem
to wear human flesh like glove puppets, that's pretty alien-y.
If it's robots, do those count as aliens? It sounds like they
have agency but robots can have that, I expect. If the masters
are dead, for instance.

I don't see how we get out of this one, with the EMP presumably
killing all of the Apple Macintosh computers. Though there's that
(real) deep mine where they installed scientists with a neutrino
detector, they might still have one... for the graphic designer?
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudbury_Neutrino_Observatory>