[Because My Tears Are Delicious To You] Shon'jir (Faded Sun, book 2) by C.J. Cherryh
2017-03-05 15:05:42 UTC
Shon'jir (Faded Sun, book 2) by C. J. Cherryh

http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/so-thick-beset-wi-thorns-and-briers
My Livejournal at http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll
m***@sky.com
2017-03-05 17:17:07 UTC
Shon'jir (Faded Sun, book 2) by C. J. Cherryh
http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/so-thick-beset-wi-thorns-and-briers
My Livejournal at http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll
(from the review)"On the other, even the Scots eventually learned from experience and the Scots are the Kzin of Europe."

(Ahem..) I come from Northern Ireland (but with a mixed family history that includes some Scots). When I hear people talking about preserving or celebrating their cultures I wonder which aspects of my culture I am supposed to be preserving or celebrating? The Red Hand of Ulster, now redolent of para-military violence? The celebration of religious wars dating back to 1690 and beyond which is now an excuse (on both sides) for mob violence during the "Marching Season"? A national cuisine whose most famous dish, the "Ulster Fry" might best be described as heart attack on a plate (unless medical opinion has indeed turned 180 degrees)?

If I were mri, I would look to learn as much as possible from other cultures, and I would reverence instances where other cultures had done so - is the Meiji Restoration a good example of this? Of course, that would be a different story - any examples of that?

PS - I'm still trying to work out whether I want to hang on to "No Surrender!" or not. Probably safest not to, as I see it has been officially frowned on http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22688494.