Girl Genius - 2018 July 4th Reveal
2018-07-04 16:56:44 UTC
Tarvek just can't resist showing off what he knows. Of course, this has
been hinted at since at least the page 52 of volume 8
(<http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20080606>) where an
apparently uninjured* Higgs is sitting in a Jaegermonster's bar as if he
belonged there.

*in the 5 page sequence starting with page 16 of volume 7
(<http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20070402>), he is
described as having broken arms, a broken leg, and other injuries (in
continuity, this was, at most, a week earlier)

‹-----------------------------------------------------
2018-07-04 21:15:48 UTC
In article <robertaw-***@news.individual.net>,
Robert Woodward <***@drizzle.com> wrote:
>Tarvek just can't resist showing off what he knows. Of course, this has
>been hinted at since at least the page 52 of volume 8
>(<http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20080606>) where an
>apparently uninjured* Higgs is sitting in a Jaegermonster's bar as if he
>belonged there.
>
>*in the 5 page sequence starting with page 16 of volume 7
>(<http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20070402>), he is
>described as having broken arms, a broken leg, and other injuries (in
>continuity, this was, at most, a week earlier)

Well, we always knew he was tough. Some speculated that he was a
Jaeger who'd turned out exceptionally well. All we've learned at
the moment is his rank.

Which doesn't surprise me, really.

2018-07-05 03:24:27 UTC
On Wednesday, July 4, 2018 at 3:45:03 PM UTC-6, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:

> Well, we always knew he was tough. Some speculated that he was a
> Jaeger who'd turned out exceptionally well. All we've learned at
> the moment is his rank.
>
> Which doesn't surprise me, really.

It doesn't surprise me that if he's a Jager, he's a General. But despite this
being a fan-favorite theory, it did surprise me that he was a Jager.

2018-07-05 04:13:41 UTC
On Thursday, July 5, 2018 at 1:24:29 PM UTC+10, Quadibloc wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 4, 2018 at 3:45:03 PM UTC-6, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
>
> > Well, we always knew he was tough. Some speculated that he was a
> > Jaeger who'd turned out exceptionally well. All we've learned at
> > the moment is his rank.
> >
> > Which doesn't surprise me, really.
>
> It doesn't surprise me that if he's a Jager, he's a General. But despite this
> being a fan-favorite theory, it did surprise me that he was a Jager.

Note that this is a character saying it, it's not conclusive proof that it's right.
(I suspect it is)
Dimensional Traveler
2018-07-05 04:47:42 UTC
On 7/4/2018 9:13 PM, ***@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, July 5, 2018 at 1:24:29 PM UTC+10, Quadibloc wrote:
>> On Wednesday, July 4, 2018 at 3:45:03 PM UTC-6, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
>>
>>> Well, we always knew he was tough. Some speculated that he was a
>>> Jaeger who'd turned out exceptionally well. All we've learned at
>>> the moment is his rank.
>>>
>>> Which doesn't surprise me, really.
>>
>> It doesn't surprise me that if he's a Jager, he's a General. But despite this
>> being a fan-favorite theory, it did surprise me that he was a Jager.
>

> Note that this is a character saying it, it's not conclusive proof that it's right.
> (I suspect it is)

Until it isn't. (Mad Science can be that way.)

2018-07-05 16:47:53 UTC
In article <f512d9cd-928d-44bd-b9dd-***@googlegroups.com>,
***@gmail.com wrote:

> On Thursday, July 5, 2018 at 1:24:29 PM UTC+10, Quadibloc wrote:
> > On Wednesday, July 4, 2018 at 3:45:03 PM UTC-6, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
> >
> > > Well, we always knew he was tough. Some speculated that he was a
> > > Jaeger who'd turned out exceptionally well. All we've learned at
> > > the moment is his rank.
> > >
> > > Which doesn't surprise me, really.
> >
> > It doesn't surprise me that if he's a Jager, he's a General. But despite
> > this
> > being a fan-favorite theory, it did surprise me that he was a Jager.
>

> Note that this is a character saying it, it's not conclusive proof that it's
> right.
> (I suspect it is)

I have been keeping an eye on Tarvek's statements. IIRC, everything he
has stated, no matter how odd, about a third party (Gil, to some extent,
is an exception) has been correct (whether he is telling the truth about
his own motives is a different matter).

2018-07-05 04:51:46 UTC
In article <5d9e7f4e-c8b4-40f3-b6ca-***@googlegroups.com>,
Quadibloc <***@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:
>On Wednesday, July 4, 2018 at 3:45:03 PM UTC-6, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
>
>> Well, we always knew he was tough. Some speculated that he was a
>> Jaeger who'd turned out exceptionally well. All we've learned at
>> the moment is his rank.
>>
>> Which doesn't surprise me, really.
>
>It doesn't surprise me that if he's a Jager, he's a General. But despite this
>being a fan-favorite theory, it did surprise me that he was a Jager.

Well, he's not quite like the rest of the Jaegers. He still
looks entirely human.

On the other hand, remember that The Professor is Oggies
great-grandson. So apparently Jaeger-looks are not an acquired
characterstic that can be inherited.

Or as Damon Knight once put it, "Wha hoppen to dog ven you cut
off his modder's tail? Noddin."

2018-07-05 05:20:32 UTC
On Wednesday, July 4, 2018 at 11:15:04 PM UTC-6, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:

> On the other hand, remember that The Professor is Oggies
> great-grandson. So apparently Jaeger-looks are not an acquired
> characterstic that can be inherited.

But Jaeger strength, instead of being an acquired characteristic, is a genetic modification? Or perhaps it's passed on by the prenatal environment...

2018-07-05 14:39:14 UTC
In article <d5df3440-6b40-4d1a-9226-***@googlegroups.com>,
Quadibloc <***@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:
>On Wednesday, July 4, 2018 at 11:15:04 PM UTC-6, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
>
>> On the other hand, remember that The Professor is Oggies
>> great-grandson. So apparently Jaeger-looks are not an acquired
>> characterstic that can be inherited.
>
>But Jaeger strength, instead of being an acquired characteristic, is a
>genetic modification? Or perhaps it's passed on by the prenatal
>environment...

Considering what I just said, it *isn't* a genetic modification.
The Professor doesn't resemble his great-grandfather at all.

David Goldfarb
2018-07-05 06:11:06 UTC
In article <***@kithrup.com>,
Dorothy J Heydt <***@kithrup.com> wrote:
>On the other hand, remember that The Professor is Oggies
>great-grandson. So apparently Jaeger-looks are not an acquired
>characterstic that can be inherited.

Or else Oggie sired children before taking the Jagerdraught.

--
David Goldfarb |"I'm reconsidering my desire to go to college, as
***@gmail.com | from what I've seen on this group it drives one
Dorothy J Heydt
2018-07-05 14:39:36 UTC
In article <***@kithrup.com>,
David Goldfarb <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>In article <***@kithrup.com>,
>Dorothy J Heydt <***@kithrup.com> wrote:
>>On the other hand, remember that The Professor is Oggies
>>great-grandson. So apparently Jaeger-looks are not an acquired
>>characterstic that can be inherited.
>
>Or else Oggie sired children before taking the Jagerdraught.

That's a possibility, yes.

Leif Roar Moldskred
2018-07-08 20:08:42 UTC
Dorothy J Heydt <***@kithrup.com> wrote:

> On the other hand, remember that The Professor is Oggies
> great-grandson. So apparently Jaeger-looks are not an acquired
> characterstic that can be inherited.

I assumed that Oggie become a father _before_ he took the Jaeger
draught, but I'm not sure why I made that assumption.

Leif Roar Moldskred
Robert Carnegie
2018-07-08 21:43:55 UTC
On Sunday, 8 July 2018 21:08:45 UTC+1, Leif Roar Moldskred wrote:
> Dorothy J Heydt <***@kithrup.com> wrote:
> >
> > On the other hand, remember that The Professor is Oggies
> > great-grandson. So apparently Jaeger-looks are not an acquired
> > characterstic that can be inherited.
> >

> I assumed that Oggie become a father _before_ he took the Jaeger
> draught, but I'm not sure why I made that assumption.
>
> --
> Leif Roar Moldskred

I also don't remember what previous discussions I've had,
but an argument outside the story is that with the Jagers
as terrifying warriors generally allowed to do what they
want - when the Heterodynes were evil - we really want them
to be /not/ actually interested in sex. Flirting - yes;
and there's the hospitality at the alarmingly authentic
Jager bar in Mechanicsburg - but it's just playing.