your 2 to 4 year reread list
2018-04-02 05:12:13 UTC
So what is your 2 to 4 year reread list. My top ten rereads every 2 to
4 years (this list does change depending on my mood):

1. _Mutineers Moon_ by David Weber
https://www.amazon.com/Mutineers-Moon-Dahak-David-Weber/dp/0671720856/

2. _Jumper_ by Steven Gould
https://www.amazon.com/Jumper-Novel-Steven-Gould/dp/0812522370/

3. _A Matter for Men_ by David Gerrold
https://www.amazon.com/Matter-Men-Against-Chtorr-Book/dp/0671464949/

4. _The Tar-Aiym Krang_ by Alan Dean Foster
https://www.amazon.com/Tar-Aiym-Krang-Alan-Dean-Foster/dp/034530280X/

5. _Shards of Honor_ by Lois McMaster Bujold

https://www.amazon.com/Shards-Honor-Vorkosigan-McMaster-Bujold/dp/1476781109/

6. _Ender’s Game_ by Orson Scott Card
https://www.amazon.com/Enders-Ender-Quintet-Orson-Scott/dp/0812550706/

7. _A Hymn Before Battle_ by John Ringo
https://www.amazon.com/Hymn-Before-Battle-Posleen-War/dp/0671318411/

8. _Going Home_ by A. American

https://www.amazon.com/Going-Home-Novel-Survivalist-American/dp/0142181277/

9. _Bitten_ by Kelley Armstrong
https://www.amazon.com/Bitten-Otherworld-Kelley-Armstrong/dp/0452296641/

10. _A Soldier’s Duty_ by Jean Johnson
https://www.amazon.com/Soldiers-Duty-Theirs-Not-Reason/dp/0441020631/

Whoa, no Heinleins ! I need to put TSB, COTG, and TMIAHM in that list
somewhere.

2018-04-02 05:45:39 UTC
[...]
None. There are too many books coming out that I want to read and not
enough free time to read them as it is.
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2018-04-02 13:10:11 UTC
On Sun, 1 Apr 2018 22:45:39 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
Post by Dimensional Traveler
None. There are too many books coming out that I want to read and not
enough free time to read them as it is.
Mostly this. I used to re-read a lot, back when I had the time and
mental energy to keep up with my new books.

These days the one book I do pull out for a comfort read now and again
is _Bridge of Birds_, Barry Hughart.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea -
massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining,
least expect it." -- Gene Spafford
Garrett Wollman
2018-04-02 15:44:55 UTC
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
On Sun, 1 Apr 2018 22:45:39 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
Post by Dimensional Traveler
None. There are too many books coming out that I want to read and not
enough free time to read them as it is.
Mostly this. I used to re-read a lot, back when I had the time and
mental energy to keep up with my new books.
Pretty much the opposite for me: I re-read a lot when I *don't* have
the time and energy to keep up with new books.

Also, I'll typically reread (parts of) a series to refresh my memory
when a new volume comes out. This tends to make me frustrated at the
lack of continuity editing for big-name fiction authors.

-GAWollman
***@bimajority.org| act to remove constraint from the future. This is
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2018-04-02 16:39:02 UTC
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
On Sun, 1 Apr 2018 22:45:39 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
Post by Dimensional Traveler
None. There are too many books coming out that I want to read and not
enough free time to read them as it is.
Mostly this. I used to re-read a lot, back when I had the time and
mental energy to keep up with my new books.
Pretty much the opposite for me: I re-read a lot when I *don't* have
the time and energy to keep up with new books.
Ah, you misread me - I meant that I used to have the time and energy to
both keep up with the new books *and* re-read old favourites.

Nowadays when I don't have the energy to read new, I'll play video games
for their simpler stories instead.
Post by Garrett Wollman
Also, I'll typically reread (parts of) a series to refresh my memory
when a new volume comes out. This tends to make me frustrated at the
lack of continuity editing for big-name fiction authors.
I used to go back and do a complete series reread, but Terry Pratchett
cured me of that as a regular habit!

These days I tend more towards finding a new author who turns out to
have a series, reading the whole lot in one consecutive set, then later
buy new ones to go on the to-be-read pile... where they tend to build
up. When they get up to about three I'll flick through book n-1 to
remind myself and then go through the new ones.

Cheers - Jaimie
Dorothy J Heydt
2018-04-02 17:49:56 UTC
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
On Sun, 1 Apr 2018 22:45:39 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
Post by Dimensional Traveler
None. There are too many books coming out that I want to read and not
enough free time to read them as it is.
Mostly this. I used to re-read a lot, back when I had the time and
mental energy to keep up with my new books.
Pretty much the opposite for me: I re-read a lot when I *don't* have
the time and energy to keep up with new books.
Same here, only it's because I can't afford new books. And I
have a *lot* of old books to re-read. I buy maybe one or two
books a year.

This year I went to FogCon and bought the second volume of Jodi
Taylor's St. Mary's series, _A Symphony of Echoes._ Maybe next
year I'll buy volume 3.

I also bought Dhuoda' _Liber Manualis,_ but that's different.
That's research.
2018-04-02 09:21:29 UTC
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/898092.Three_From_The_Legion

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/26228282-ronin-games

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6940494-the-calling

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1705071.Northwest_of_Earth

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/112292.Dauntless
-dsr-
2018-04-02 13:39:00 UTC
So what is your 2 to 4 year reread list. My top ten rereads every 2 to
I'm currently 3/4 through my occasional reread of Brust's
Vlad Taltos novels, going by internal chronological order
as much as is reasonable, but skipping the Paarfi novels for
now.

I occasionally reread Bujold. Banks. Stross. I used to reread
Heinlein but I think it will be another 10-20 years before I
want to do that. I will probably reread Matthew Woodring Stover's
Caine novels in another year or two.

I am likely to reread a series when a new volume comes out, if
it has been a long time between volumes.

-dsr-
Panthera Tigris Altaica
2018-04-02 14:55:00 UTC
So what is your 2 to 4 year reread list. My top ten rereads every 2 to
1. _Mutineers Moon_ by David Weber
https://www.amazon.com/Mutineers-Moon-Dahak-David-Weber/dp/0671720856/
Mutineer's Moon is the weakest of the three Dahlak books.
Post by Lynn McGuire
5. _Shards of Honor_ by Lois McMaster Bujold
Shards of Honor would be the weakest of the Vorkostigianverse books if Ethan of Anthos didn't exist. As it is, it was close.
Post by Lynn McGuire
7. _A Hymn Before Battle_ by John Ringo
https://www.amazon.com/Hymn-Before-Battle-Posleen-War/dp/0671318411/
I was not particularly impressed by this, or any, of Ringo's books. Perhaps that is due to one of the Posleen books being Kratman's book with the Jewish SS unit, and that soured me on the whole series.
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is perhaps the best thing that Heinlein ever wrote. Superior to Starship Troopers, superior to Friday, far superior to most of the dreck he published late in life.
Default User
2018-04-02 19:19:26 UTC
So what is your 2 to 4 year reread list. My top ten rereads every 2
I used to reread in the old days, when I'd run into occasions when I
was out of new material. Now, technology always has new books at the
ready for me.

That being said, I did go through the Ancillary books last year. I had
some ideas that had formed by the end of the original read, and I
wanted to read again with those in mind.

Brian
m***@sky.com
I reread partly because I don't want to buy new books too often, and partly because some books are still entertaining and feel comfortable, whereas with a new book I might end up struggling through passages I don't really like to get my money's worth, or to see if anything actually happens. I've got into the habit of rereading S.M. Sterling's "Conquistador" and Lackey's Magic's Pawn/Last Herald Mage trilogy every few years. I can thoroughly recommend Conquistador, but the Last Herald Mage feels like a bit of a guilty pleasure.
2018-04-04 17:23:38 UTC
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by Default User
Post by Lynn McGuire
So what is your 2 to 4 year reread list. My top ten rereads
I used to reread in the old days, when I'd run into occasions when I
was out of new material. Now, technology always has new books at the
ready for me.
I reread partly because I don't want to buy new books too often, and
partly because some books are still entertaining and feel
comfortable, whereas with a new book I might end up struggling
through passages I don't really like to get my money's worth, or to
see if anything actually happens.
I haven't bought books for myself in years. The public library has a
great selection and can get almost anything. I started using an
e-reader last year. Once I figured a way to get books from the library
to the iPad without wifi, that made it really simple to get something
whenever I want.

Brian

D B Davis
2018-04-04 03:57:49 UTC
So what is your 2 to 4 year reread list. My top ten rereads every 2 to
_Jumper_ also gets reread by me from time to time. But mostly it's
_The Door Into Summer_ (RAH) and PKD novels.

Don