OT Plastic Bottles. Worse than Climate Change?
2017-07-02 04:20:23 UTC
I do not have sufficient scientific background nor motivation to
research and evaluate Climate Change and although my inclination is to
believe it is a serious concern, I am not too worried as I am selfish
and believe I will be long dead before .....
However I have read, with interest, most of the discussion here on that
topic and would be interested to read opinions on the following article.
Thank you.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jun/28/a-million-a-minute-worlds-plastic-bottle-binge-as-dangerous-as-climate-change
Robert Carnegie
2017-07-02 07:45:09 UTC
Post by Titus G
I do not have sufficient scientific background nor motivation to
research and evaluate Climate Change and although my inclination is to
believe it is a serious concern, I am not too worried as I am selfish
and believe I will be long dead before .....
However I have read, with interest, most of the discussion here on that
topic and would be interested to read opinions on the following article.
Thank you.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jun/28/a-million-a-minute-worlds-plastic-bottle-binge-as-dangerous-as-climate-change
"some campaigners predict".

I think if we end up with more plastic in the
sea than fish, by weight, that'll be due to
the practice of taking the fish out. Which
is going to be a problem. Fish is difficult
to replace in your diet.

And the plastic is made from fossil oil -
so that'll run out anyways.
Kevrob
2017-07-02 10:28:08 UTC
Post by Titus G
[...]
I am troubled by this. I had fish and chips for supper on Friday night,
and last night I broiled some salmon. I try to have fish at least once
a week.

What I don't do is but bottled water. Our office has water coolers,
and those have large plastic jugs. I use those and home tap water,
which around here is quite palatable, to refill a water bottle I
bought for a buck at the store. I don't buy a lot of soda. What has
seemed to disappear from the supermarket is half-gallons of milk in
coated paper containers. I can still get some brands of juice that
way. Any plastic milk, juice or soda bottles go into the recycling
bin that is picked up weekly, unless there's a bottle deposit I can
redeem. This is First World luxury, I guess. First we have reliable
potable water easily at hand, and second a system for keeping plastic
containers out of the refuse stream.

2017-07-03 17:41:12 UTC
Post by Titus G
[...]
Most plastic is made from natural gas. We have about 1,000 years of
natural gas reserves in the USA. About 60 to 70% of the natural gas
wells in the USA are closed in at the moment.

2017-07-03 18:40:27 UTC
Post by Titus G
I do not have sufficient scientific background nor motivation to
research and evaluate Climate Change and although my inclination is to
believe it is a serious concern, I am not too worried as I am selfish
and believe I will be long dead before .....
However I have read, with interest, most of the discussion here on that
topic and would be interested to read opinions on the following article.
Thank you.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jun/28/a-million-a-minute-worlds-plastic-bottle-binge-as-dangerous-as-climate-change
BTW, plastic bottles are worse than climate change because man-made
climate change is a lie.

"Takes a long swig of water from an Ozarka water bottle." "Man, that is
good."