Universal and Eternal Ocean
Add Reply
mimus99
2017-03-26 18:33:20 UTC
Blue water under a collar of white foam sparkled and rolled calmly up and
down the sand, creating a sound invariable on every world in every galaxy
where surf meets shore.

< Jack Vance
mixed nuts
2017-03-26 18:49:51 UTC
Post by mimus99
Blue water under a collar of white foam sparkled and rolled calmly up and
down the sand, creating a sound invariable on every world in every galaxy
where surf meets shore.
< Jack Vance
Even where the oceans are methane and ethane, like on Titan, with chunks
of vaseline floating therein? I bet it's different there.
Grizzly H.
mimus99
"That sounds kinda squishy."
Jack Bohn
2017-03-26 20:34:48 UTC
Post by mimus99
Post by mixed nuts
Post by mimus99
Blue water under a collar of white foam sparkled and rolled calmly up and
down the sand, creating a sound invariable on every world in every galaxy
where surf meets shore.
< Jack Vance
Even where the oceans are methane and ethane, like on Titan, with chunks
of vaseline floating therein? I bet it's different there.
Surf's surf.
White noise. It might be a different pitch in different materials. Would differences in abilities to carry silt or to break apart whatever material the shore is made of be giving us different beaches?
-Jack
Dimensional Traveler
2017-03-26 21:26:44 UTC
Post by Jack Bohn
Post by mimus99
Post by mixed nuts
Post by mimus99
Blue water under a collar of white foam sparkled and rolled calmly up and
down the sand, creating a sound invariable on every world in every galaxy
where surf meets shore.
< Jack Vance
Even where the oceans are methane and ethane, like on Titan, with chunks
of vaseline floating therein? I bet it's different there.
Surf's surf.
White noise. It might be a different pitch in different materials. Would differences in abilities to carry silt or to break apart whatever material the shore is made of be giving us different beaches?
One would think so.
Some days you just don't have enough middle fingers!
J. Clarke
2017-03-26 22:31:00 UTC
Post by Jack Bohn
Post by mimus99
Post by mixed nuts
Post by mimus99
Blue water under a collar of white foam sparkled and rolled calmly up and
down the sand, creating a sound invariable on every world in every galaxy
where surf meets shore.
< Jack Vance
Even where the oceans are methane and ethane, like on Titan, with chunks
of vaseline floating therein? I bet it's different there.
Surf's surf.
White noise. It might be a different pitch in different materials. Would differences in abilities to carry silt or to break apart whatever material the shore is made of be giving us different beaches?
One would think so.
Next Titan probe _has_ to have a microphone so
we can hear the surf, if any surf is to be
found.
Peter Trei
2017-03-27 15:51:19 UTC
Post by Jack Bohn
Post by mimus99
Post by mixed nuts
Post by mimus99
Blue water under a collar of white foam sparkled and rolled calmly up and
down the sand, creating a sound invariable on every world in every galaxy
where surf meets shore.
< Jack Vance
Even where the oceans are methane and ethane, like on Titan, with chunks
of vaseline floating therein? I bet it's different there.
Surf's surf.
White noise. It might be a different pitch in different materials. Would differences in abilities to carry silt or to break apart whatever material the shore is made of be giving us different beaches?
One would think so.
Next Titan probe _has_ to have a microphone so
we can hear the surf, if any surf is to be
found.
A lot would depend on the speed of sound in the atmosphere - its denser than
Earth, and 98% N2, both of which should result in a higher SoS, and a
higher pitch.

The current edition of the "Twenty Thousand Hertz" podcast has a number of
NASA scientists speculating about what things sound like on other planets.
They don't do Titan, but its a great show.

https://www.20k.org/

20KHz explores the history of sound. I've only recently come across it, and
like it a lot.

2017-03-28 04:39:38 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Jack Bohn
Post by mimus99
Post by mixed nuts
Post by mimus99
[...]
It is also a lot colder which will cause a net reduction in the speed of
sound.
§ñûhwØ£f
2017-03-31 21:13:15 UTC
Post by mimus99
Post by mixed nuts
Post by mimus99
Blue water under a collar of white foam sparkled and rolled calmly up and
down the sand, creating a sound invariable on every world in every galaxy
where surf meets shore.
< Jack Vance
Even where the oceans are methane and ethane, like on Titan, with chunks
of vaseline floating therein? I bet it's different there.
Surf's surf.
I'm suprised you still post to usenet.
It's dead, Jim. Twitter is where its at.
See ya in another 6 months, or not.
--
http://www.wolfwatcher.org
www.snuhwolf.9f.com|www.savewolves.org
/___/_/|_/\____/_//_/ \***@_/ \__|\__|\____/\____\_\
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-03-31 21:41:52 UTC
Post by §ñûhwØ£f
Post by mimus99
Post by mixed nuts
Post by mimus99
Blue water under a collar of white foam sparkled and rolled
calmly up and down the sand, creating a sound invariable on
every world in every galaxy where surf meets shore.
< Jack Vance
Even where the oceans are methane and ethane, like on Titan,
with chunks of vaseline floating therein? I bet it's
different there.
Surf's surf.
I'm suprised you still post to usenet.
It's dead, Jim. Twitter is where its at.
See ya in another 6 months, or not.
Do feel free to not come back, troll-boy.

Dave Norris
2017-04-04 12:16:51 UTC
Post by §ñûhwØ£f
I'm suprised you still post to usenet.
It's dead, Jim. Twitter is where its at.
See ya in another 6 months, or not.
Twitter is for faggots and nigger lovers.

HTH/HAND
Dave Norris

HTH/HAND
Dorothy J Heydt
2017-03-26 20:36:28 UTC
Post by mixed nuts
Post by mimus99
Blue water under a collar of white foam sparkled and rolled calmly up and
down the sand, creating a sound invariable on every world in every galaxy
where surf meets shore.
< Jack Vance
Even where the oceans are methane and ethane, like on Titan, with chunks
of vaseline floating therein? I bet it's different there.
It would have to *sound* different, considering the difference in
atmosphere.

(To say nothing of the auditory equipment of those who may be
there to hear it.)
a***@faeroes.freeshell.org
2017-04-04 00:44:00 UTC
***@sdf.lonestar.org
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-03-26 23:01:59 UTC
rec.arts.sf.written,alt.philosophy,alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.
flonk
Obvious troll, playing with himself, much like our beloved
StarRetard.

Of course, he will succeed, because there are too many people here
who *can't* stop themselves.

And them somebody will make it on-topic.

rainbowdragon
2017-04-01 02:53:08 UTC
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
rec.arts.sf.written,alt.philosophy,alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.
flonk
Obvious troll, playing with himself, much like our beloved
StarRetard.
Of course, he will succeed, because there are too many people here
who *can't* stop themselves.
And them somebody will make it on-topic.
If you don't like what's and where's been posted, gucs, then don't read
and go away trollboy!
https://cosmicpurple.wordpress.com
mimus99
2017-04-11 19:47:49 UTC
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
rec.arts.sf.written,alt.philosophy,alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.
flonk
Obvious troll, playing with himself, much like our beloved
StarRetard.
IANAT

I'm monomorphic.
I don't even have a copy of the ast FAQ.
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-04-11 21:39:40 UTC
On Sun, 26 Mar 2017 16:01:59 -0700, Gutless Umbrella Carrying
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
rec.arts.sf.written,alt.philosophy,alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flon
k. flonk
Obvious troll, playing with himself, much like our beloved
StarRetard.
IANAT
Just what a troll would say. Pretty much a public declaration that
you are, in fact, precisely that.
I'm monomorphic.
You're a 'tard.

Contrarian
2017-04-04 00:43:24 UTC
Post by mimus99
Blue water under a collar of white foam sparkled and rolled calmly up and
down the sand, creating a sound invariable on every world in every galaxy
where surf meets shore.
< Jack Vance
his life before he started writing was quite interesting.

nice quote

not sure about that invariable though