_A World Out Of Time_ by Larry Niven
2017-04-05 19:27:47 UTC
_A World Out Of Time_ by Larry Niven
https://www.amazon.com/World-Out-Time-Larry-Niven/dp/162578158X/

A singular book, no prequel or sequel that I know of, published in 1976. This is a hard SF book with somewhat feasible way future
technology. I read the trade paperback version with the nice paper and nice fonts.

A corpsicle from the late 1900s is revived by the State and used to imprint the mind of a brain-wiped criminal in 2190. The
corpsicle is then used as a pilot for a exploration starship with ten autonomic seed pods for appropriate earth-like planets. The
corpsicle instead heads for a sightseeing tour of the galactic core and returns to Earth three million years later as a very old man.
Things are very different now as the Earth rotates around Jupiter, the sun is a large red dwarf, and there are very few inhabitants.

This book may have been the inspiration for the _We Are Legion_ book by Dennis Taylor, but I do not know.
https://www.amazon.com/We-Are-Legion-Bob-Bobiverse/dp/1680680323/

My rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.2 out of 5 stars (148 reviews)

2017-04-05 20:09:18 UTC
On 4/5/2017 12:27 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> _A World Out Of Time_ by Larry Niven
> https://www.amazon.com/World-Out-Time-Larry-Niven/dp/162578158X/
>
> A singular book, no prequel or sequel that I know of, published in
> 1976. This is a hard SF book with somewhat feasible way future
> technology. I read the trade paperback version with the nice paper and
> nice fonts.
>
> A corpsicle from the late 1900s is revived by the State and used to
> imprint the mind of a brain-wiped criminal in 2190. The corpsicle is
> then used as a pilot for a exploration starship with ten autonomic seed
> pods for appropriate earth-like planets. The corpsicle instead heads
> for a sightseeing tour of the galactic core and returns to Earth three
> million years later as a very old man. Things are very different now as
> the Earth rotates around Jupiter, the sun is a large red dwarf, and
> there are very few inhabitants.
>
> This book may have been the inspiration for the _We Are Legion_ book by
> Dennis Taylor, but I do not know.
> https://www.amazon.com/We-Are-Legion-Bob-Bobiverse/dp/1680680323/
>
> My rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars
> Amazon rating: 4.2 out of 5 stars (148 reviews)

No direct prequel or sequel but Niven did write other stories set in The
State setting, like with Known Space.

Some days you just don't have enough middle fingers!
Lynn McGuire
2017-04-05 20:23:12 UTC
On 4/5/2017 3:09 PM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> On 4/5/2017 12:27 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> _A World Out Of Time_ by Larry Niven
>> https://www.amazon.com/World-Out-Time-Larry-Niven/dp/162578158X/
>>
>> A singular book, no prequel or sequel that I know of, published in
>> 1976. This is a hard SF book with somewhat feasible way future
>> technology. I read the trade paperback version with the nice paper and
>> nice fonts.
>>
>> A corpsicle from the late 1900s is revived by the State and used to
>> imprint the mind of a brain-wiped criminal in 2190. The corpsicle is
>> then used as a pilot for a exploration starship with ten autonomic seed
>> pods for appropriate earth-like planets. The corpsicle instead heads
>> for a sightseeing tour of the galactic core and returns to Earth three
>> million years later as a very old man. Things are very different now as
>> the Earth rotates around Jupiter, the sun is a large red dwarf, and
>> there are very few inhabitants.
>>
>> This book may have been the inspiration for the _We Are Legion_ book by
>> Dennis Taylor, but I do not know.
>> https://www.amazon.com/We-Are-Legion-Bob-Bobiverse/dp/1680680323/
>>
>> My rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars
>> Amazon rating: 4.2 out of 5 stars (148 reviews)
>>
> No direct prequel or sequel but Niven did write other stories set in The State setting, like with Known Space.

I would like a sequel. But as Niven is 78, I doubt it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Niven

I saw somewhere (probably on Pournelle's website) that Niven is working on a couple of other books as is Pournelle.

2017-04-05 21:28:51 UTC
On 4/5/2017 1:23 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 4/5/2017 3:09 PM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
>> On 4/5/2017 12:27 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>> _A World Out Of Time_ by Larry Niven
>>> https://www.amazon.com/World-Out-Time-Larry-Niven/dp/162578158X/
>>>
>>> A singular book, no prequel or sequel that I know of, published in
>>> 1976. This is a hard SF book with somewhat feasible way future
>>> technology. I read the trade paperback version with the nice paper and
>>> nice fonts.
>>>
>>> A corpsicle from the late 1900s is revived by the State and used to
>>> imprint the mind of a brain-wiped criminal in 2190. The corpsicle is
>>> then used as a pilot for a exploration starship with ten autonomic seed
>>> pods for appropriate earth-like planets. The corpsicle instead heads
>>> for a sightseeing tour of the galactic core and returns to Earth three
>>> million years later as a very old man. Things are very different now as
>>> the Earth rotates around Jupiter, the sun is a large red dwarf, and
>>> there are very few inhabitants.
>>>
>>> This book may have been the inspiration for the _We Are Legion_ book by
>>> Dennis Taylor, but I do not know.
>>> https://www.amazon.com/We-Are-Legion-Bob-Bobiverse/dp/1680680323/
>>>
>>> My rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars
>>> Amazon rating: 4.2 out of 5 stars (148 reviews)
>>>
>> No direct prequel or sequel but Niven did write other stories set in
>> The State setting, like with Known Space.
>
> I would like a sequel. But as Niven is 78, I doubt it.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Niven
>
> I saw somewhere (probably on Pournelle's website) that Niven is working
> on a couple of other books as is Pournelle.

In conjunction with Edward Lerner Mr. Niven has been putting out "<NOUN>
of Worlds" books in the Known Space universe for the last 10 years.
Basically retconning Known Space history.

Some days you just don't have enough middle fingers!
John F. Eldredge
2017-04-05 22:44:20 UTC
Dimensional Traveler <***@sonic.net> Wrote in message:
> On 4/5/2017 1:23 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:

>>> No direct prequel or sequel but Niven did write other stories set in
>>> The State setting, like with Known Space.
>>
>> I would like a sequel. But as Niven is 78, I doubt it.
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Niven
>>
>> I saw somewhere (probably on Pournelle's website) that Niven is working
>> on a couple of other books as is Pournelle.
>>
> In conjunction with Edward Lerner Mr. Niven has been putting out "<NOUN>
> of Worlds" books in the Known Space universe for the last 10 years.
> Basically retconning Known Space history.
>

> --
> Some days you just don't have enough middle fingers!

Parts of "A World Out of Time" were originally published as the
short story "Rammer" and the novella "Children of the
State".
John F. Eldredge, ***@jfeldredge.com
Lynn McGuire
2017-04-06 03:04:24 UTC
On 4/5/2017 5:44 PM, John F. Eldredge wrote:
> Dimensional Traveler <***@sonic.net> Wrote in message:

>>> I would like a sequel. But as Niven is 78, I doubt it.
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Niven
>>>
>>> I saw somewhere (probably on Pournelle's website) that Niven is working
>>> on a couple of other books as is Pournelle.
>>>
>> In conjunction with Edward Lerner Mr. Niven has been putting out "<NOUN>
>> of Worlds" books in the Known Space universe for the last 10 years.
>> Basically retconning Known Space history.
>>

>> --
>> Some days you just don't have enough middle fingers!
>>

> Parts of "A World Out of Time" were originally published as the
> short story "Rammer" and the novella "Children of the
> State".

Sounds like Larry Niven was a student of Mr. Heinlein who apparently preached that you should always sell your stories three times.
Once for serialization in a magazine, once in hardback, and once in paperback. Pournelle writes on his website about Mr. Heinlein
critiquing _Lucifer's Hammer_ and _Footfall_ for them.

2017-04-06 04:57:23 UTC
Lynn McGuire <***@gmail.com> wrote:

>Sounds like Larry Niven was a student of Mr. Heinlein who apparently preached that you should always sell your stories three times.
>Once for serialization in a magazine, once in hardback, and once in paperback. Pournelle writes on his website about Mr. Heinlein
>critiquing _Lucifer's Hammer_ and _Footfall_ for them.

Two of the pieces that Heinlein made them take out of A Mote in God's
Eye were published separately. I read the "lost preface" in Galaxy
before reading the novel.

I didn't know that Heinlein performed the same service for those other
two novels.
2017-04-06 19:16:58 UTC
On Wednesday, April 5, 2017 at 11:04:34 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 4/5/2017 5:44 PM, John F. Eldredge wrote:
> > Dimensional Traveler <***@sonic.net> Wrote in message:

> >> In conjunction with Edward Lerner Mr. Niven has been putting out "<NOUN>
> >> of Worlds" books in the Known Space universe for the last 10 years.
> >> Basically retconning Known Space history.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Some days you just don't have enough middle fingers!
> >>

> > Parts of "A World Out of Time" were originally published as the
> > short story "Rammer" and the novella "Children of the
> > State".
>
> Sounds like Larry Niven was a student of Mr. Heinlein who apparently preached that you should always sell your stories three times.
> Once for serialization in a magazine, once in hardback, and once in paperback.

Then you have the comic strip, the comic book, the comic book collected
as a trade paperback, which you can sell as a "graphic novel," the
radio show,* the animated film, the animated TV series, the live action
film, the live action TV series, the board game, the video game, the
trading cards, the game cards (a la "Magic: TG") the 3-D versions of
the films and the collected comic strips, the online game, the soundtrack
albums from the films and TV series, the live stage show, the Ice
Capades version {Destination Moon On Ice!} and the Broadway musical, later
adapted into a film, with a new song as Oscar-bait.

Plus the associated merch: clothing, plush toys, digital watches...

Have I left anything out? There's always something.

This is not a criticism. I'm all for the authors making some money.

2017-04-06 19:21:02 UTC
On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 3:17:02 PM UTC-4, Kevrob wrote:

> the radio show,*

Orphaned footnote:

* See also the LP versions of h2g2 done slightly differently than the
BBC broadcast versions for whatever arcane copyright reasons, or to
make the fits fit.

2017-04-06 21:10:21 UTC
On Thursday, 6 April 2017 20:21:04 UTC+1, Kevrob wrote:
> On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 3:17:02 PM UTC-4, Kevrob wrote:
>
> > the radio show,*
>
> Orphaned footnote:
>
> * See also the LP versions of h2g2 done slightly differently than the
> BBC broadcast versions for whatever arcane copyright reasons, or to
> make the fits fit.

"Ultimate Question" Biscuits, "Ultimate Question"
T-shirts -
nuny@bid.nes
2017-04-07 18:44:20 UTC
On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 12:17:02 PM UTC-7, Kevrob wrote:

(multiple sales of the same story)

> Then you have the comic strip, the comic book, the comic book collected
> as a trade paperback, which you can sell as a "graphic novel," the
> radio show,* the animated film, the animated TV series, the live action
> film, the live action TV series, the board game, the video game, the
> trading cards, the game cards (a la "Magic: TG") the 3-D versions of
> the films and the collected comic strips, the online game, the soundtrack
> albums from the films and TV series, the live stage show, the Ice
> Capades version {Destination Moon On Ice!} and the Broadway musical, later
> adapted into a film, with a new song as Oscar-bait.

_Ringworld_ would make a fantastic movie. The Fist-Of-God impact flashback alone would satisfy any explosion/disaster junkie.

> Plus the associated merch: clothing, plush toys, digital watches...
>
> Have I left anything out? There's always something.

Action figures! Playsets!

(I'd love to see a Puppeteer-designed TY-Baby plush toy of a Kzintosh. Not sure how well Ghoul plushes would sell though.)

Soft Weapon pistols next to the Star Wars blasters in Walmart.

Model kits of Lying Bastard and the Ringworld (large display area required for the latter).

The various GP hull kits would be transparent polystyrene with bronzy engines and chromed lifesystems.

Dot-and-comma decals for the Kzinti "police ships"...

Ooh. Bolo Models. Also large, but hey.

Back to Heinlein for a minute, a model kit of Gay Deceiver would sell well too.

(can you tell I built a lot of model kits as a kid?)

> This is not a criticism. I'm all for the authors making some money.

It would definitely get Niven's name out to more of the population.

Mark L. Fergerson
Dimensional Traveler
2017-04-07 19:55:23 UTC
On 4/7/2017 11:44 AM, ***@bid.nes wrote:
> On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 12:17:02 PM UTC-7, Kevrob wrote:
>
> (multiple sales of the same story)
>
>> Then you have the comic strip, the comic book, the comic book collected
>> as a trade paperback, which you can sell as a "graphic novel," the
>> radio show,* the animated film, the animated TV series, the live action
>> film, the live action TV series, the board game, the video game, the
>> trading cards, the game cards (a la "Magic: TG") the 3-D versions of
>> the films and the collected comic strips, the online game, the soundtrack
>> albums from the films and TV series, the live stage show, the Ice
>> Capades version {Destination Moon On Ice!} and the Broadway musical, later
>> adapted into a film, with a new song as Oscar-bait.
>
> _Ringworld_ would make a fantastic movie. The Fist-Of-God impact flashback alone would satisfy any explosion/disaster junkie.

And various studios have been trying to develop the movie for at least
20 years....

Some days you just don't have enough middle fingers!
Lynn McGuire
2017-04-07 20:36:27 UTC
On 4/7/2017 2:55 PM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> On 4/7/2017 11:44 AM, ***@bid.nes wrote:
>> On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 12:17:02 PM UTC-7, Kevrob wrote:
>>
>> (multiple sales of the same story)
>>
>>> Then you have the comic strip, the comic book, the comic book collected
>>> as a trade paperback, which you can sell as a "graphic novel," the
>>> radio show,* the animated film, the animated TV series, the live action
>>> film, the live action TV series, the board game, the video game, the
>>> trading cards, the game cards (a la "Magic: TG") the 3-D versions of
>>> the films and the collected comic strips, the online game, the
>>> soundtrack
>>> albums from the films and TV series, the live stage show, the Ice
>>> Capades version {Destination Moon On Ice!} and the Broadway musical,
>>> later
>>> adapted into a film, with a new song as Oscar-bait.
>>
>> _Ringworld_ would make a fantastic movie. The Fist-Of-God impact
>> flashback alone would satisfy any explosion/disaster junkie.
>>
> And various studios have been trying to develop the movie for at least
> 20 years....

I'm not that anyone other than James Cameron could do it.

2017-04-07 21:39:22 UTC
On 4/7/2017 3:36 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 4/7/2017 2:55 PM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
>> On 4/7/2017 11:44 AM, ***@bid.nes wrote:
>>> On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 12:17:02 PM UTC-7, Kevrob wrote:
>>>
>>> (multiple sales of the same story)

>>> _Ringworld_ would make a fantastic movie. The Fist-Of-God impact
>>> flashback alone would satisfy any explosion/disaster junkie.
>>>
>> And various studios have been trying to develop the movie for at least
>> 20 years....
>
> I'm not that anyone other than James Cameron could do it.
>
> Lynn

^not^not sure

I'm not sure that anyone other than James Cameron could do it.

2017-04-08 00:21:40 UTC
On Friday, April 7, 2017 at 2:44:23 PM UTC-4, ***@bid.nes wrote:
> On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 12:17:02 PM UTC-7, Kevrob wrote:
>
> (multiple sales of the same story)
>
> > Then you have the comic strip, the comic book, the comic book collected
> > as a trade paperback, which you can sell as a "graphic novel," the
> > radio show,* the animated film, the animated TV series, the live action
> > film, the live action TV series, the board game, the video game, the
> > trading cards, the game cards (a la "Magic: TG") the 3-D versions of
> > the films and the collected comic strips, the online game, the soundtrack
> > albums from the films and TV series, the live stage show, the Ice
> > Capades version {Destination Moon On Ice!} and the Broadway musical, later
> > adapted into a film, with a new song as Oscar-bait.
>
> _Ringworld_ would make a fantastic movie. The Fist-Of-God impact flashback alone would satisfy any explosion/disaster junkie.
>
> > Plus the associated merch: clothing, plush toys, digital watches...
> >
> > Have I left anything out? There's always something.
>
> Action figures! Playsets!
>
> (I'd love to see a Puppeteer-designed TY-Baby plush toy of a Kzintosh. Not sure how well Ghoul plushes would sell though.)
>
> Soft Weapon pistols next to the Star Wars blasters in Walmart.
>
> Model kits of Lying Bastard and the Ringworld (large display area required for the latter).
>
> The various GP hull kits would be transparent polystyrene with bronzy engines and chromed lifesystems.
>
> Dot-and-comma decals for the Kzinti "police ships"...
>
> Ooh. Bolo Models. Also large, but hey.
>
> Back to Heinlein for a minute, a model kit of Gay Deceiver would sell well too.
>
> (can you tell I built a lot of model kits as a kid?)

"....associated merch...." covers multitudes.

> > This is not a criticism. I'm all for the authors making some money.
>
> It would definitely get Niven's name out to more of the population.

Larry's made his pile, and good for him. Others are scratching
by, as seen here in recent posts. Heck, I'm scratching by!

I'm not a published author, though. I have to do...*shudder*.....
"honest" work!

2017-04-08 04:24:47 UTC
Kevrob <***@my-deja.com> wrote:

>> It would definitely get Niven's name out to more of the population.
>
>Larry's made his pile, and good for him. Others are scratching
>by, as seen here in recent posts. Heck, I'm scratching by!

I don't remember which essay writer claimed that Niven was "born with
a silver backhoe in his mouth." and that his great grandfather was a
GREAT grandfather to discover oil in LA county. But he didn't need
the pile. I think that the comment was about Tim Hamner in Lucifer's
Hammer.
Cryptoengineer
2017-04-08 05:01:53 UTC
Kevrob <***@my-deja.com> wrote in

> On Friday, April 7, 2017 at 2:44:23 PM UTC-4, ***@bid.nes wrote:
>> On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 12:17:02 PM UTC-7, Kevrob wrote:
>>
>> (multiple sales of the same story)
>>
>> > Then you have the comic strip, the comic book, the comic book
>> > collected as a trade paperback, which you can sell as a "graphic
>> > novel," the radio show,* the animated film, the animated TV series,
>> > the live action film, the live action TV series, the board game,
>> > the video game, the trading cards, the game cards (a la "Magic:
>> > TG") the 3-D versions of the films and the collected comic strips,
>> > the online game, the soundtrack albums from the films and TV
>> > series, the live stage show, the Ice Capades version {Destination
>> > Moon On Ice!} and the Broadway musical, later adapted into a film,
>> > with a new song as Oscar-bait.
>>
>> _Ringworld_ would make a fantastic movie. The Fist-Of-God impact
>> flashback alone would satisfy any explosion/disaster junkie.
>>
>> > Plus the associated merch: clothing, plush toys, digital watches...
>> >
>> > Have I left anything out? There's always something.
>>
>> Action figures! Playsets!
>>
>> (I'd love to see a Puppeteer-designed TY-Baby plush toy of a
>> Kzintosh. Not sure how well Ghoul plushes would sell though.)
>>
>> Soft Weapon pistols next to the Star Wars blasters in Walmart.
>>
>> Model kits of Lying Bastard and the Ringworld (large display area
>> required for the latter).
>>
>> The various GP hull kits would be transparent polystyrene with
>> bronzy engines and chromed lifesystems.
>>
>> Dot-and-comma decals for the Kzinti "police ships"...
>>
>> Ooh. Bolo Models. Also large, but hey.
>>
>> Back to Heinlein for a minute, a model kit of Gay Deceiver would
>> sell well too.
>>
>> (can you tell I built a lot of model kits as a kid?)
>>

> "....associated merch...." covers multitudes.
>
>> > This is not a criticism. I'm all for the authors making some
>> > money.
>>
>> It would definitely get Niven's name out to more of the population.
>
> Larry's made his pile, and good for him. Others are scratching
> by, as seen here in recent posts. Heck, I'm scratching by!

I'm under the impression that Niven inherited his wealth; he
was rich before he ever set pen to paper.

pt
Lawrence Watt-Evans
2017-04-08 05:37:14 UTC
On Fri, 7 Apr 2017 17:21:40 -0700 (PDT), Kevrob <***@my-deja.com>
wrote:

>On Friday, April 7, 2017 at 2:44:23 PM UTC-4, ***@bid.nes wrote:
>> On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 12:17:02 PM UTC-7, Kevrob wrote:
>>
>Larry's made his pile, and good for him. Others are scratching
>by, as seen here in recent posts. Heck, I'm scratching by!

Larry INHERITED his pile; his mother's maiden name was Doheny, and his
grandfather was the guy who got rich in the Teapot Dome scandal during
the Harding administration. Except he was already rich before that,
so I should say "got richer."

Larry told me that his 21st birthday present from his father was a
check for a million dollars and the advice, "Don't waste it."

His writing income is just a nice little side bit. His grandfather
didn't want any of his descendants to be too lazy to work, so Larry
needed to prove he could support himself in order to get his share of
the family fortune. Which he did by writing, which satisfied the old
man.

>I'm not a published author, though. I have to do...*shudder*.....
>"honest" work!

I lie for a living, but it's still work.

2017-04-09 00:34:35 UTC
On Saturday, April 8, 2017 at 1:37:19 AM UTC-4, Lawrence Watt-Evans wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Apr 2017 17:21:40 -0700 (PDT), Kevrob <***@my-deja.com>
> wrote:
>
> >On Friday, April 7, 2017 at 2:44:23 PM UTC-4, ***@bid.nes wrote:
> >> On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 12:17:02 PM UTC-7, Kevrob wrote:
> >>
> >Larry's made his pile, and good for him. Others are scratching
> >by, as seen here in recent posts. Heck, I'm scratching by!
>
> Larry INHERITED his pile; his mother's maiden name was Doheny, and his
> grandfather was the guy who got rich in the Teapot Dome scandal during
> the Harding administration. Except he was already rich before that,
> so I should say "got richer."
>
> Larry told me that his 21st birthday present from his father was a
> check for a million dollars and the advice, "Don't waste it."
>
> His writing income is just a nice little side bit. His grandfather
> didn't want any of his descendants to be too lazy to work, so Larry
> needed to prove he could support himself in order to get his share of
> the family fortune. Which he did by writing, which satisfied the old
> man.

I knew that Niven had family money that allowed him to not
have to "There is only one sure means in life," Deasey said, "of ensuring that you are not ground into paste by disappointment, futility, and disillusion. And that is always to ensure, to the utmost of your ability, that you are doing it solely for the money."take a day job and just write. I didn't know it
was that much.

> >I'm not a published author, though. I have to do...*shudder*.....
> >"honest" work!
>
> I lie for a living, but it's still work.

I love the motto Michael Chabon put in the mouth of his pulp
editor character, George Deasey, in "Kavalier & Clay."

[quote]

"There is only one sure means in life," Deasey said, "of ensuring
that you are not ground into paste by disappointment, futility,
and disillusion. And that is always to ensure, to the utmost of
your ability, that you are doing it solely for the money."

[/quote]

http://preview.tinyurl.com/KandC-Deasey

https://tinyurl.com/KandC-Deasey

https://books.google.com/books?id=XIga7RhvVOIC&pg=PA285&lpg=PA285&dq=that+you+are+doing+it+for+the+money+deasey&source=bl&ots=pGiqxnpRj2&sig=6dX306RUCF_3L07qjOiVNwQlNE0&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiX4sHIjJbTAhVm8IMKHfZ3CcEQ6AEIHjAA#v=onepage&q=that%20you%20are%20doing%20it%20for%20the%20money%20deasey&f=false

I imagine Niven never had to adopt that outlook.

2017-04-09 00:54:52 UTC
On Saturday, April 8, 2017 at 8:34:40 PM UTC-4, Kevrob wrote:
> On Saturday, April 8, 2017 at 1:37:19 AM UTC-4, Lawrence Watt-Evans wrote:
> > On Fri, 7 Apr 2017 17:21:40 -0700 (PDT), Kevrob <***@my-deja.com>
> > wrote:

> > >Larry's made his pile, and good for him. Others are scratching
> > >by, as seen here in recent posts. Heck, I'm scratching by!
> >
> > Larry INHERITED his pile; his mother's maiden name was Doheny, and his
> > grandfather was the guy who got rich in the Teapot Dome scandal during
> > the Harding administration. Except he was already rich before that,
> > so I should say "got richer."
> >
> > Larry told me that his 21st birthday present from his father was a
> > check for a million dollars and the advice, "Don't waste it."
> >
> > His writing income is just a nice little side bit. His grandfather
> > didn't want any of his descendants to be too lazy to work, so Larry
> > needed to prove he could support himself in order to get his share of
> > the family fortune. Which he did by writing, which satisfied the old
> > man.

Corrected copypasta fubar*.......

> I knew that Niven had family money that allowed him to not
> have to take a day job and just write. I didn't know it
> was that much.
>
> > >I'm not a published author, though. I have to do...*shudder*.....
> > >"honest" work!
> >
> > I lie for a living, but it's still work.
>
> I love the motto Michael Chabon put in the mouth of his pulp
> editor character, George Deasey, in "Kavalier & Clay."
>
> [quote]
>
> "There is only one sure means in life," Deasey said, "of ensuring
> that you are not ground into paste by disappointment, futility,
> and disillusion. And that is always to ensure, to the utmost of
> your ability, that you are doing it solely for the money."
>
> [/quote]
>
> http://preview.tinyurl.com/KandC-Deasey
>
> https://tinyurl.com/KandC-Deasey
>
> https://books.google.com/books?id=XIga7RhvVOIC&pg=PA285&lpg=PA285&dq=that+you+are+doing+it+for+the+money+deasey&source=bl&ots=pGiqxnpRj2&sig=6dX306RUCF_3L07qjOiVNwQlNE0&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiX4sHIjJbTAhVm8IMKHfZ3CcEQ6AEIHjAA#v=onepage&q=that%20you%20are%20doing%20it%20for%20the%20money%20deasey&f=false
>
> I imagine Niven never had to adopt that outlook.
>
> Kevin R

* I was streaming a hockey game (Isles 4, Devils 2!
Playoff hopes still alive!) and it caused some problems!
Juho Julkunen
2017-04-09 12:57:21 UTC
In article <1f66354f-655b-49f5-9fa8-***@googlegroups.com>,
***@my-deja.com says...

> * I was streaming a hockey game (Isles 4, Devils 2!
> Playoff hopes still alive!) and it caused some problems!

I really hoped Bolts or Isles would have jumped the Leafs. Alas for the
useless Pens.

Juho Julkunen
Kevrob
2017-04-09 14:12:54 UTC
On Sunday, April 9, 2017 at 8:57:07 AM UTC-4, Juho Julkunen wrote:
> In article <1f66354f-655b-49f5-9fa8-***@googlegroups.com>,
> ***@my-deja.com says...
> >

> > * I was streaming a hockey game (Isles 4, Devils 2!
> > Playoff hopes still alive!) and it caused some problems!
>
> I really hoped Bolts or Isles would have jumped the Leafs. Alas for the
> useless Pens.

I was proud of the effort by our Lawnislanders, but, given
that John Tavares is hurt, I question how we would have fared in
round 1, anyway. Maybe now the Isles can fire Garth Snow!

100th Leaf Season, 50th since their last Cup.

Oh, well. "Let's Go, Mets!"

2017-04-09 06:41:16 UTC
On 2017-04-08, Kevrob <***@my-deja.com> wrote:
> Larry's made his pile, and good for him.

... Larry Niven _started_ with a pile, didn't he?

Dave, how to make a small fortune from investing
gatekeeper.vic.com/~dbd - net.legends FAQ & Magic / I WUV you in all CAPS! --K.
James Nicoll
2017-04-08 03:52:05 UTC
In article <c8ea52a8-8709-4b8a-a009-***@googlegroups.com>,
***@bid.nes <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 12:17:02 PM UTC-7, Kevrob wrote:
>
>(multiple sales of the same story)
>
>> Then you have the comic strip, the comic book, the comic book collected
>> as a trade paperback, which you can sell as a "graphic novel," the
>> radio show,* the animated film, the animated TV series, the live action
>> film, the live action TV series, the board game, the video game, the
>> trading cards, the game cards (a la "Magic: TG") the 3-D versions of
>> the films and the collected comic strips, the online game, the soundtrack
>> albums from the films and TV series, the live stage show, the Ice
>> Capades version {Destination Moon On Ice!} and the Broadway musical, later
>> adapted into a film, with a new song as Oscar-bait.
>
> _Ringworld_ would make a fantastic movie. The Fist-Of-God impact
>flashback alone would satisfy any explosion/disaster junkie.

The problem will be the same one as with Rama, which is the plot. Which
is basically, some people go look at a big thing and marvel at its bigness.
I'm thinking the explosions and lensflare crowd will be less good at
adapting it than people experienced in making movies focused on wonder.

My Livejournal at http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-04-08 04:05:46 UTC
***@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote in

> In article
> <c8ea52a8-8709-4b8a-a009-***@googlegroups.com>,
> ***@bid.nes <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>>On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 12:17:02 PM UTC-7, Kevrob wrote:
>>
>>(multiple sales of the same story)
>>
>>> Then you have the comic strip, the comic book, the comic book
>>> collected as a trade paperback, which you can sell as a
>>> "graphic novel," the radio show,* the animated film, the
>>> animated TV series, the live action film, the live action TV
>>> series, the board game, the video game, the trading cards, the
>>> game cards (a la "Magic: TG") the 3-D versions of the films
>>> and the collected comic strips, the online game, the
>>> soundtrack albums from the films and TV series, the live stage
>>> show, the Ice Capades version {Destination Moon On Ice!} and
>>> the Broadway musical, later adapted into a film, with a new
>>> song as Oscar-bait.
>>
>> _Ringworld_ would make a fantastic movie. The Fist-Of-God
>> impact
>>flashback alone would satisfy any explosion/disaster junkie.
>
> The problem will be the same one as with Rama, which is the
> plot. Which is basically, some people go look at a big thing and
> marvel at its bigness.

That's about as much plot as most sf movies have. Of course, most
sf movies suck.

-dsr-
2017-04-08 14:30:11 UTC
On 2017-04-08, James Nicoll <***@panix.com> wrote:
> In article <c8ea52a8-8709-4b8a-a009-***@googlegroups.com>,
> ***@bid.nes <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>>On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 12:17:02 PM UTC-7, Kevrob wrote:
>>
>> _Ringworld_ would make a fantastic movie. The Fist-Of-God impact
>>flashback alone would satisfy any explosion/disaster junkie.
>
> The problem will be the same one as with Rama, which is the plot. Which
> is basically, some people go look at a big thing and marvel at its bigness.
> I'm thinking the explosions and lensflare crowd will be less good at
> adapting it than people experienced in making movies focused on wonder.

If you mashed 1 and 2 together, that would make a plausible 120 minute
movie.

1. Louis Wu's 24 hour birthday party, establishing This is The Future,
two characters, and teleportation booths.

2. Kidnapping, establishing Nessus and the mission

3. Gathering Speaker-to-Animals and Teela.

4. Launch

5. Arrival at the Ringworld, look at large features, get fired upon. Crash.

6. Explain the nature of the getting-off-the-Ringworld problem. Pack up.

7. Cycle around looking at things, meeting people. The cycles need
to cool down after every ten thousand miles at Mach 5, so more
opportunities to see things up close.

8. Avoid sunflowers, meet more people. Discover vampires.

9. Eye Storm; Teela is lost. Discover shadow-square wire.

10. Slog to the edge; find a port city, meet Harloprillalar, learn about
meteor defense, superconductor plague, discover that the Ringworld
is unstable, deduce fusion ramjets.

11. Not enough ramjets: angst about killing a trillion people.

12. Speaker pulls the trigger. He has no angst about hominids.

13. Well, that's awful but it's going to take 50 years to do anything,
so maybe we can get some areas evacuated. But only if we have a
working spaceship! Hey, let's use shadow-square wire to haul the
ship up Fist-of-God.

14. Ship looks over the edge, sees the ramjets firing, Speaker says
"what the hell is a giant map of Kzin doing in this ocean?"; Louis
says "what the hell is a giant map of Earth doing in this ocean?"

15. Teela-protector comes on the comm and says "I have ordered the
meteor defense laser not to fire on you. Let's talk."
"Who are you?"
"I was Teela, but I'm much smarter now."

and credits.

Then the followup is a version of Protector.

-dsr-
Cryptoengineer
2017-04-08 15:23:03 UTC
-dsr- <dsr-***@randomstring.org> wrote in

> On 2017-04-08, James Nicoll <***@panix.com> wrote:
>> In article <c8ea52a8-8709-4b8a-a009-***@googlegroups.com>,
>> ***@bid.nes <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 12:17:02 PM UTC-7, Kevrob wrote:
>>>
>>> _Ringworld_ would make a fantastic movie. The Fist-Of-God impact
>>>flashback alone would satisfy any explosion/disaster junkie.
>>
>> The problem will be the same one as with Rama, which is the plot.
>> Which is basically, some people go look at a big thing and marvel at
>> its bigness. I'm thinking the explosions and lensflare crowd will be
>> less good at adapting it than people experienced in making movies
>> focused on wonder.
>

> If you mashed 1 and 2 together, that would make a plausible 120 minute
> movie.
>
> 1. Louis Wu's 24 hour birthday party, establishing This is The Future,
> two characters, and teleportation booths.
>
> 2. Kidnapping, establishing Nessus and the mission
>
> 3. Gathering Speaker-to-Animals and Teela.
>
> 4. Launch
>
> 5. Arrival at the Ringworld, look at large features, get fired upon.
> Crash.
>
> 6. Explain the nature of the getting-off-the-Ringworld problem. Pack
> up.
>
> 7. Cycle around looking at things, meeting people. The cycles need
> to cool down after every ten thousand miles at Mach 5, so more
> opportunities to see things up close.
>
> 8. Avoid sunflowers, meet more people. Discover vampires.
>
> 9. Eye Storm; Teela is lost. Discover shadow-square wire.
>
> 10. Slog to the edge; find a port city, meet Harloprillalar, learn
> about
> meteor defense, superconductor plague, discover that the Ringworld
> is unstable, deduce fusion ramjets.
>
> 11. Not enough ramjets: angst about killing a trillion people.
>
> 12. Speaker pulls the trigger. He has no angst about hominids.
>
> 13. Well, that's awful but it's going to take 50 years to do anything,
> so maybe we can get some areas evacuated. But only if we have a
> working spaceship! Hey, let's use shadow-square wire to haul the
> ship up Fist-of-God.
>
> 14. Ship looks over the edge, sees the ramjets firing, Speaker says
> "what the hell is a giant map of Kzin doing in this ocean?"; Louis
> says "what the hell is a giant map of Earth doing in this ocean?"
>
> 15. Teela-protector comes on the comm and says "I have ordered the
> meteor defense laser not to fire on you. Let's talk."
> "Who are you?"
> "I was Teela, but I'm much smarter now."
>
> and credits.
>
> Then the followup is a version of Protector.

You forgot the scene where 'rishathra' is practiced, even if slightly
off-screen.

pt
Juho Julkunen
2017-04-08 18:29:39 UTC
In article <slrnoehsvj.b9s.dsr-***@randomstring.org>, dsr-
***@randomstring.org says...

> On 2017-04-08, James Nicoll <***@panix.com> wrote:
> > In article <c8ea52a8-8709-4b8a-a009-***@googlegroups.com>,
> > ***@bid.nes <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 12:17:02 PM UTC-7, Kevrob wrote:
> >>
> >> _Ringworld_ would make a fantastic movie. The Fist-Of-God impact
> >>flashback alone would satisfy any explosion/disaster junkie.
> >
> > The problem will be the same one as with Rama, which is the plot. Which
> > is basically, some people go look at a big thing and marvel at its bigness.
> > I'm thinking the explosions and lensflare crowd will be less good at
> > adapting it than people experienced in making movies focused on wonder.
>

> If you mashed 1 and 2 together, that would make a plausible 120 minute
> movie.

I don't know if they do two hour SF movies anymore. All the movies of
that sort I recall seeing in recent years have been two and a half, or
pushing three hours.

Juho Julkunen
Lynn McGuire
2017-04-08 19:36:42 UTC
On 4/8/2017 1:29 PM, Juho Julkunen wrote:
> In article <slrnoehsvj.b9s.dsr-***@randomstring.org>, dsr-
> ***@randomstring.org says...
>>
>> On 2017-04-08, James Nicoll <***@panix.com> wrote:

>>> The problem will be the same one as with Rama, which is the plot. Which
>>> is basically, some people go look at a big thing and marvel at its bigness.
>>> I'm thinking the explosions and lensflare crowd will be less good at
>>> adapting it than people experienced in making movies focused on wonder.
>>

>> If you mashed 1 and 2 together, that would make a plausible 120 minute
>> movie.
>
> I don't know if they do two hour SF movies anymore. All the movies of
> that sort I recall seeing in recent years have been two and a half, or
> pushing three hours.

Peter Jackson could easily (and should) make it into a mini-series.

Lynn
Juho Julkunen
2017-04-08 21:27:40 UTC
In article <ocbduv$gv7$***@dont-email.me>, ***@gmail.com says...

> On 4/8/2017 1:29 PM, Juho Julkunen wrote:
> > In article <slrnoehsvj.b9s.dsr-***@randomstring.org>, dsr-
> > ***@randomstring.org says...

> >> If you mashed 1 and 2 together, that would make a plausible 120 minute
> >> movie.
> >
> > I don't know if they do two hour SF movies anymore. All the movies of
> > that sort I recall seeing in recent years have been two and a half, or
> > pushing three hours.
>
> Peter Jackson could easily (and should) make it into a mini-series.

Peter Jackson's _Running tour of the Ringworld_ might piss me off less
than Peter Jackson's _Running tour of the Middle-earth featuring a
drowning hobbit_.

Juho Julkunen
Don Bruder
2017-04-09 00:04:33 UTC
In article <***@news.kolumbus.fi>,
Juho Julkunen <***@hotmail.com> wrote:

> In article <ocbduv$gv7$***@dont-email.me>, ***@gmail.com says...
> >
> > On 4/8/2017 1:29 PM, Juho Julkunen wrote:
> > > In article <slrnoehsvj.b9s.dsr-***@randomstring.org>, dsr-
> > > ***@randomstring.org says...

> > > I don't know if they do two hour SF movies anymore. All the movies of
> > > that sort I recall seeing in recent years have been two and a half, or
> > > pushing three hours.
> >
> > Peter Jackson could easily (and should) make it into a mini-series.
>
> Peter Jackson's _Running tour of the Ringworld_ might piss me off less
> than Peter Jackson's _Running tour of the Middle-earth featuring a
> drowning hobbit_.

You actually expected something decent from the ... um... shall we say
"person"? responsible for the puke-fest that got released under the
title "Meet the Feebles"???

If the door is baroque don't be Haydn. Come around Bach and jiggle the Handel.
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2017-04-09 07:02:08 UTC
On Sat, 08 Apr 2017 17:04:33 -0700, Don Bruder <***@sonic.net> wrote:

>In article <***@news.kolumbus.fi>,
> Juho Julkunen <***@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> > Peter Jackson could easily (and should) make it into a mini-series.
>>
>> Peter Jackson's _Running tour of the Ringworld_ might piss me off less
>> than Peter Jackson's _Running tour of the Middle-earth featuring a
>> drowning hobbit_.
>
>You actually expected something decent from the ... um... shall we say
>"person"? responsible for the puke-fest that got released under the
>title "Meet the Feebles"???

Be fair - he also directed Dead Alive.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English
is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion,
and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary." -- James Nicoll, rasfw
Juho Julkunen
2017-04-09 13:05:02 UTC
In article <ocbtkn$3l0$***@dont-email.me>, ***@sonic.net says...

> In article <***@news.kolumbus.fi>,
> Juho Julkunen <***@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > Peter Jackson's _Running tour of the Ringworld_ might piss me off less
> > than Peter Jackson's _Running tour of the Middle-earth featuring a
> > drowning hobbit_.
>
> You actually expected something decent from the ... um... shall we say
> "person"? responsible for the puke-fest that got released under the
> title "Meet the Feebles"???

I said it pisses me off, not that I expected it wouldn't.

Juho Julkunen
Don Bruder
2017-04-09 16:07:51 UTC
In article <***@news.kolumbus.fi>,
Juho Julkunen <***@hotmail.com> wrote:

> In article <ocbtkn$3l0$***@dont-email.me>, ***@sonic.net says...
> >
> > In article <***@news.kolumbus.fi>,
> > Juho Julkunen <***@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Peter Jackson's _Running tour of the Ringworld_ might piss me off less
> > > than Peter Jackson's _Running tour of the Middle-earth featuring a
> > > drowning hobbit_.
> >
> > You actually expected something decent from the ... um... shall we say
> > "person"? responsible for the puke-fest that got released under the
> > title "Meet the Feebles"???
>
> I said it pisses me off, not that I expected it wouldn't.

Ahhh... a subtle distinction, but valid :)

If the door is baroque don't be Haydn. Come around Bach and jiggle the Handel.
Gary R. Schmidt
2017-04-09 13:32:45 UTC
On 09/04/2017 10:04, Don Bruder wrote:
> In article <***@news.kolumbus.fi>,
> Juho Julkunen <***@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> Peter Jackson could easily (and should) make it into a mini-series.
>>
>> Peter Jackson's _Running tour of the Ringworld_ might piss me off less
>> than Peter Jackson's _Running tour of the Middle-earth featuring a
>> drowning hobbit_.
>
> You actually expected something decent from the ... um... shall we say
> "person"? responsible for the puke-fest that got released under the
> title "Meet the Feebles"???

"Meet the Feebles" is Jackson's best work!

Everything since has been steadily worse and worse.

Cheers,
Gary B-)

--
When men talk to their friends, they insult each other.
They don't really mean it.
They don't mean it either.
Don Bruder
2017-04-09 16:09:00 UTC
In article <ropprd-***@paranoia.mcleod-schmidt.id.au>,
"Gary R. Schmidt" <***@acm.org> wrote:

> On 09/04/2017 10:04, Don Bruder wrote:
> > In article <***@news.kolumbus.fi>,
> > Juho Julkunen <***@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> In article <ocbduv$gv7$***@dont-email.me>, ***@gmail.com says...

> >> Peter Jackson's _Running tour of the Ringworld_ might piss me off less
> >> than Peter Jackson's _Running tour of the Middle-earth featuring a
> >> drowning hobbit_.
> >
> > You actually expected something decent from the ... um... shall we say
> > "person"? responsible for the puke-fest that got released under the
> > title "Meet the Feebles"???
> >
> "Meet the Feebles" is Jackson's best work!
>
> Everything since has been steadily worse and worse.
>
> Cheers,
> Gary B-)

Son, you need to go down to the store and pick yourself up a package of
standards - Your statement makes it obvious that you have none :)

If the door is baroque don't be Haydn. Come around Bach and jiggle the Handel.
Gary R. Schmidt
2017-04-10 02:19:32 UTC
On 10/04/2017 02:09, Don Bruder wrote:
> In article <ropprd-***@paranoia.mcleod-schmidt.id.au>,
> "Gary R. Schmidt" <***@acm.org> wrote:
>
>> On 09/04/2017 10:04, Don Bruder wrote:

>>> You actually expected something decent from the ... um... shall we say
>>> "person"? responsible for the puke-fest that got released under the
>>> title "Meet the Feebles"???
>>>
>> "Meet the Feebles" is Jackson's best work!
>>
>> Everything since has been steadily worse and worse.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Gary B-)
>
> Son, you need to go down to the store and pick yourself up a package of
> standards - Your statement makes it obvious that you have none :)

You have obviously never met any New Zealanders, they are just over ==>
there from me, that's just what they are like!

Cheers,
Gary B-)

They don't mean it either.
Paul Colquhoun
2017-04-09 02:04:18 UTC
On Sat, 8 Apr 2017 03:52:05 +0000 (UTC), James Nicoll <***@panix.com> wrote:
| In article <c8ea52a8-8709-4b8a-a009-***@googlegroups.com>,
| ***@bid.nes <***@gmail.com> wrote:
|>On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 12:17:02 PM UTC-7, Kevrob wrote:
|>
|>(multiple sales of the same story)
|>
|>> Then you have the comic strip, the comic book, the comic book collected
|>> as a trade paperback, which you can sell as a "graphic novel," the
|>> radio show,* the animated film, the animated TV series, the live action
|>> film, the live action TV series, the board game, the video game, the
|>> trading cards, the game cards (a la "Magic: TG") the 3-D versions of
|>> the films and the collected comic strips, the online game, the soundtrack
|>> albums from the films and TV series, the live stage show, the Ice
|>> Capades version {Destination Moon On Ice!} and the Broadway musical, later
|>> adapted into a film, with a new song as Oscar-bait.
|>
|> _Ringworld_ would make a fantastic movie. The Fist-Of-God impact
|>flashback alone would satisfy any explosion/disaster junkie.
|
| The problem will be the same one as with Rama, which is the plot. Which
| is basically, some people go look at a big thing and marvel at its bigness.
| I'm thinking the explosions and lensflare crowd will be less good at
| adapting it than people experienced in making movies focused on wonder.

Mix in some plot elements from the sequels (Lois being kidnapped, for
example) and ramp up the inter-personnel friction until they need to
co-operate or stay trapped.

--
Reverend Paul Colquhoun, ULC. http://andor.dropbear.id.au/
Asking for technical help in newsgroups? Read this first:
http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#intro
Cryptoengineer
2017-04-09 02:25:50 UTC
Paul Colquhoun <***@andor.dropbear.id.au> wrote in

> On Sat, 8 Apr 2017 03:52:05 +0000 (UTC), James Nicoll
> <***@panix.com> wrote:
>| In article <c8ea52a8-8709-4b8a-a009-***@googlegroups.com>,
>| ***@bid.nes <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>|>On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 12:17:02 PM UTC-7, Kevrob wrote:
>|>
>|>(multiple sales of the same story)

>|> _Ringworld_ would make a fantastic movie. The Fist-Of-God impact
>|>flashback alone would satisfy any explosion/disaster junkie.
>|
>| The problem will be the same one as with Rama, which is the plot.
>| Which is basically, some people go look at a big thing and marvel at
>| its bigness. I'm thinking the explosions and lensflare crowd will be
>| less good at adapting it than people experienced in making movies
>| focused on wonder.
>

> Mix in some plot elements from the sequels (Lois being kidnapped, for
> example) and ramp up the inter-personnel friction until they need to
> co-operate or stay trapped.

I'm watching a lot of David Attenborough documentaries on Netflix
these days. I suspect he'd have a lot of fun with all the human
variants.

pt
William Hyde
2017-04-06 20:47:41 UTC
On Wednesday, April 5, 2017 at 11:04:34 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 4/5/2017 5:44 PM, John F. Eldredge wrote:
> > Dimensional Traveler <***@sonic.net> Wrote in message:

> >> In conjunction with Edward Lerner Mr. Niven has been putting out "<NOUN>
> >> of Worlds" books in the Known Space universe for the last 10 years.
> >> Basically retconning Known Space history.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Some days you just don't have enough middle fingers!
> >>

> > Parts of "A World Out of Time" were originally published as the
> > short story "Rammer" and the novella "Children of the
> > State".
>
> Sounds like Larry Niven was a student of Mr. Heinlein who apparently preached that you should always sell your stories three times.
Once for serialization in a magazine, once in hardback, and once in paperback.

That is a strange thing to preach. It is like preaching the virtues of breathing.

The triple sale was standard in the 50s and 60s, if you were prominent enough. Asimov did it with most of his novels, e.g. "The Currents of Space" was serialized in "Astounding" a few months before Doubleday's publication in hardback, later paperback.

A check of Anderson's "Brain Wave" shows the same pattern.

William Hyde
h***@gmail.com
2017-04-11 00:02:19 UTC
On Friday, April 7, 2017 at 6:47:43 AM UTC+10, William Hyde wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 5, 2017 at 11:04:34 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:

> > > Parts of "A World Out of Time" were originally published as the
> > > short story "Rammer" and the novella "Children of the
> > > State".
> >
> > Sounds like Larry Niven was a student of Mr. Heinlein who apparently preached that you should always sell your stories three times.
> Once for serialization in a magazine, once in hardback, and once in paperback.
>
> That is a strange thing to preach. It is like preaching the virtues of breathing.

Depends on who he's saying it to.
Scalzi (and others) point out that money in a publishing relationship should be going into the author's account.
That's not exactly news to published authors (although most of them will be disappointed in how little comes their way) but the success of publishing scams suggests that there are a lot of people where this knowledge needs to be distributed a lot more.

Yes, but how many people thought about that applying to their works before they'd been around the traps for a while?
William Hyde
2017-04-11 02:29:57 UTC
On Monday, April 10, 2017 at 8:02:21 PM UTC-4, ***@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, April 7, 2017 at 6:47:43 AM UTC+10, William Hyde wrote:

> > > Sounds like Larry Niven was a student of Mr. Heinlein who apparently preached that you should always sell your stories three times.
> > Once for serialization in a magazine, once in hardback, and once in paperback.
> >
> > That is a strange thing to preach. It is like preaching the virtues of breathing.
>
> Depends on who he's saying it to.
> Scalzi (and others) point out that money in a publishing relationship should be going into the author's account.
> That's not exactly news to published authors (although most of them will be disappointed in how little comes their way) but the success of publishing scams suggests that there are a lot of people where this knowledge needs to be distributed a lot more.
>

> > The triple sale was standard in the 50s and 60s, if you were prominent enough. Asimov did it with most of his novels, e.g. "The Currents of Space" was serialized in "Astounding" a few months before Doubleday's publication in hardback, later paperback.
> >

> Yes, but how many people thought about that applying to their works before they'd been around the traps for a while?

Everybody? I'm talking about the 1950s, after all. SF in North America is virtually defined by pulp magazine SF.

You sold to the magazines first. If, and for a long time it never happened, a publishing company wanted to do a hardcover, so much the better. And paperbacks, when they came along, were so much gravy.

It's not like it was something new, absent the paperbacks - Dickens did it. Only he added readings to it, for considerable cash.

Somewhere in his memoirs Asimov mentions the first time he published a novel without first selling it to a magazine. I no longer remember when this happened. It may be that after the magazine crash of the late 1950s there simply wasn't enough space for the sf novels being published. Clarke's "Earthlight" as far as I can tell was originally published first in HB, later PB, with no magazine sale (though it was based in part on a short story).

William Hyde
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2017-04-11 02:39:48 UTC
In article <f1ac7a79-6653-49e7-b65f-***@googlegroups.com>,
William Hyde <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Monday, April 10, 2017 at 8:02:21 PM UTC-4, ***@gmail.com wrote:

>nice paper and

>corpsicle is
>autonomic seed
>instead heads
>Earth three
>different now as

>Legion_ book by

>is working

>out "<NOUN>

>apparently preached that you should always sell your stories three
>times.
>> > Once for serialization in a magazine, once in hardback, and once in
>paperback.
>> >
>> > That is a strange thing to preach. It is like preaching the virtues
>of breathing.
>>
>> Depends on who he's saying it to.
>> Scalzi (and others) point out that money in a publishing relationship
>should be going into the author's account.
>> That's not exactly news to published authors (although most of them
>will be disappointed in how little comes their way) but the success of
>publishing scams suggests that there are a lot of people where this
>knowledge needs to be distributed a lot more.
>>

>> > The triple sale was standard in the 50s and 60s, if you were
>prominent enough. Asimov did it with most of his novels, e.g. "The
>Currents of Space" was serialized in "Astounding" a few months before
>Doubleday's publication in hardback, later paperback.
>> >

>> Yes, but how many people thought about that applying to their works
>before they'd been around the traps for a while?
>
>Everybody? I'm talking about the 1950s, after all. SF in North
>America is virtually defined by pulp magazine SF.
>
>You sold to the magazines first. If, and for a long time it never
>happened, a publishing company wanted to do a hardcover, so much the
>better. And paperbacks, when they came along, were so much gravy.
>
>It's not like it was something new, absent the paperbacks - Dickens did
>it. Only he added readings to it, for considerable cash.
>
>Somewhere in his memoirs Asimov mentions the first time he published a
>novel without first selling it to a magazine. I no longer remember when
>this happened. It may be that after the magazine crash of the late 1950s
>there simply wasn't enough space for the sf novels being published.
>Clarke's "Earthlight" as far as I can tell was originally published
>first in HB, later PB, with no magazine sale (though it was based in
>part on a short story).
>
>William Hyde

Wasn't Andre Norton kind of a pioneer there? I can't recall any of her
books being serialized.
Don Kuenz
2017-04-06 15:12:26 UTC
John F. Eldredge <***@jfeldredge.com> wrote:

<snip>

> Parts of "A World Out of Time" were originally published as the
> short story "Rammer" and the novella "Children of the
> State".

Here's what isfdb says about AWOoT:

Chapter 1 "Rammer" published in _Galaxy Magazine_ November-December 1971
Chapter 2 "Don Juan" shortfiction
Chapter 3 "The House Divided" shortfiction
Chapter 4 "The Norn" shortfiction
Chapter 5 "Stealing Youth" shortfiction
Chapter 6 "The Changelings" shortfiction
Chapter 7 "The Dictators" shortfiction
Chapter 8 "Dial at Random" shortfiction published in _Red Tide_ 2014
Chapter 9 "Peerssa for the State" shortfiction

Note to Ahasuerus, FWIW the full "Rammer" story appears in a single
_Galaxy_ issue available at:

https://archive.org/details/Galaxy_v32n03_1971-11

Perhaps that particular issue is a November/December combo. IIRC, at
certain times in the past, _Galaxy_ published every other month. By 1976
it seems that _Galaxy_ published every month because
"Children of the State" appears in three _Galaxy_ issues available at:

https://archive.org/details/Galaxy_v37n06_1976-09
https://archive.org/details/Galaxy_v37n07_1976-10
https://archive.org/details/Galaxy_v37n08_1976-11

In another thread Kevrob talks about how much of a PITA it was in the
late 1970s to acquire the four _Galaxy_ installments of
_The Faded Sun: Kesrith_ (Cherryh) and the three _Galaxy_ installments
of _The Courts of Chaos_ (Zelazny). Humanity may not have gone to Mars
(yet), but at least we have a better way to acquire old _Galaxy_
stories. :0)

Don Kuenz KB7RPU
Greg Goss
2017-04-06 04:54:50 UTC
Dimensional Traveler <***@sonic.net> wrote:

>On 4/5/2017 1:23 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:

>> I would like a sequel. But as Niven is 78, I doubt it.
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Niven
>>
>> I saw somewhere (probably on Pournelle's website) that Niven is working
>> on a couple of other books as is Pournelle.
>>
>In conjunction with Edward Lerner Mr. Niven has been putting out "<NOUN>
>of Worlds" books in the Known Space universe for the last 10 years.
>Basically retconning Known Space history.

I love a good retcon. Book one of that series is a prequel to the
Neutron Star period. Books two and four tie nice retcons to
characters we already know from existing stories, and three uses the
characters from one and two to tell a good, important story. I didn't
really like book four so much.

Book 5 of this series is ALSO book 5 of Ringworld. Don't read it till
you've read all eight lead-in novels.
2017-04-07 01:19:50 UTC
Greg Goss <***@gossg.org> wrote:

>Dimensional Traveler <***@sonic.net> wrote:

>>In conjunction with Edward Lerner Mr. Niven has been putting out "<NOUN>
>>of Worlds" books in the Known Space universe for the last 10 years.
>>Basically retconning Known Space history.

>Book 5 of this series is ALSO book 5 of Ringworld. Don't read it till
>you've read all eight lead-in novels.

INCLUDING Ringworld 3, which everyone but me wants to pretend doesn't
exist.
-dsr-
2017-04-07 20:19:29 UTC
On 2017-04-06, Greg Goss <***@gossg.org> wrote:
> Dimensional Traveler <***@sonic.net> wrote:
>
>>On 4/5/2017 1:23 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>
>>> I would like a sequel. But as Niven is 78, I doubt it.
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Niven
>>>
>>> I saw somewhere (probably on Pournelle's website) that Niven is working
>>> on a couple of other books as is Pournelle.
>>>
>>In conjunction with Edward Lerner Mr. Niven has been putting out "<NOUN>
>>of Worlds" books in the Known Space universe for the last 10 years.
>>Basically retconning Known Space history.
>
> I love a good retcon. Book one of that series is a prequel to the
> Neutron Star period. Books two and four tie nice retcons to
> characters we already know from existing stories, and three uses the
> characters from one and two to tell a good, important story. I didn't
> really like book four so much.

It's the best work Niven has done in 15 years or more.

(I don't think he did anything but approve outlines and settle questions
for Lerner, but I don't know for sure.)

-dsr-
Greg Goss
2017-04-06 04:47:08 UTC
Lynn McGuire <***@gmail.com> wrote:

>_A World Out Of Time_ by Larry Niven
> https://www.amazon.com/World-Out-Time-Larry-Niven/dp/162578158X/
>
>A singular book, no prequel or sequel that I know of, published in 1976. This is a hard SF book with somewhat feasible way future
>technology. I read the trade paperback version with the nice paper and nice fonts.

Just like the second half of this book is set long after the first
half, the Integral Trees / Smoke Ring novel(s) are also set long after
the first half of AWOOT. So there is a sequel to the first half.