_Fields of Fire (Frontlines)_ by Markos Kloos
2017-05-19 17:41:17 UTC
_Fields of Fire (Frontlines)_ by Markos Kloos
https://www.amazon.com/Fields-Fire-Frontlines-Marko-Kloos/dp/1503940713/

Book number five of a five book milsf space opera series. I read the
trade paperback version which I think is POD (print on demand), but, I
am not sure since there is no POD date and print location legend on the
last page. I am fairly sure that there will be a sixth book in the
series which I will purchase and read.

In the last book, the Lankies, the space going 120 ton dinosaur race,
have destroyed and taken over the humans 120 interstellar colonies and
have occupied Mars. The Earthers have spent a year building armies and
space ships. This is the story about the battle to take Mars back.

My rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars (415 reviews)

2017-05-19 17:47:32 UTC
_Fields of Fire (Frontlines)_ by Markos Kloos
https://www.amazon.com/Fields-Fire-Frontlines-Marko-Kloos/dp/1503940713/
Book number five of a five book milsf space opera series. I read the
trade paperback version which I think is POD (print on demand), but, I
am not sure since there is no POD date and print location legend on the
last page. I am fairly sure that there will be a sixth book in the
series which I will purchase and read.
In the last book, the Lankies, the space going 120 ton dinosaur race,
have destroyed and taken over the humans 120 interstellar colonies and
have occupied Mars. The Earthers have spent a year building armies and
space ships. This is the story about the battle to take Mars back.
My rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars (415 reviews)
Lynn
Sorry, the author's name is Marko Kloos, not Markos Kloos. And he has a
website where he talks about making stuff up for a living, being a kid
wrangler, and vicious packs of roving dachshunds.
http://www.markokloos.com/

2017-05-19 18:33:21 UTC
[...]
One assumes the roving dachshunds are the inspiration for his
interstellar dinosaurs.
"That's my secret, Captain: I'm always angry."
-dsr-
2017-05-20 10:31:39 UTC
[...]
These books are being published by 47North, the Amazon publishing company,
as opposed to whatever Amazon calls their self-pub ebook marketplace.

As a result, they are professionally edited and have proper covers.

The writing is clear and straightforward; plots move directly from A to D
passing B and C in their proper order. It feels bit like Haldeman's The
Forever War but without the depth; there's a lot of "the government is
sending us out here to defend humanity but they won't equip us properly"
where it's really not obvious that humanity's tech level is up to the job.

A sixth book has been turned in, and I think Kloos is working on the
revived Wild Cards project.

-dsr-
Ahasuerus
2017-05-20 15:18:41 UTC
Post by -dsr-
[...]
As a result, they are professionally edited and have proper covers.[snip]
47North is their main SF imprint, but they also have a number of other
imprints which can be of interest to SF readers:

* AmazonEncore: Reprints of out of print and/or "deserving"
self-published books; the text is often revised prior to re-publication
* AmazonCrossing: Translations, including translations of SF books
* Montlake Romance: Romance, sometimes with SF elements
* Thomas & Mercer: Mysteries and thrillers, sometimes with SF elements
* Two Lions: Children's books
* Skyscape: YA books
* Little A: Literary fiction
* Lake Union Publishing: Contemporary and historical fiction;
occasionally includes speculative elements
Lawrence Watt-Evans
2017-05-20 15:56:34 UTC
On Sat, 20 May 2017 06:31:39 -0400, -dsr-
Post by -dsr-
[...]
E-books are Kindle Direct Publishing.

They also do print-on-demand ink-on-paper both as a Kindle add-on
option (a recent development) and through CreateSpace.