Gorgeous Video, can anyone identify the language?
2018-06-12 05:33:19 UTC
Okay, the Astronomy Picture of the Day post for 12 June 2018 is a
splendid sequence of astronomical bodies/collections of bodies in
size order.

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

It starts with Luna and goes on to cover up to possible
multiverses.

Gorgeous stuff.

Now what I want to know is, what language (other than English)
are the captions in? There are a number of loanwords, but what's
the core language?? I can't identify it, and it's very annoying
not to know.

Seems to have -i as a noun ending.

I await enlightenment. Perhaps I should put this on rasf.fandom
too, only I suspect everyone who still reads that group reads
this one too.

2018-06-12 06:10:05 UTC
I went to the URL you provided, and I was unable to see any captions on the video.

There are cases - Moon (Luna) and Earth (Terra) - where Latin words appear on the
computer-generated labels in front of the bodies, but I'm rather sure that's not
what you are referring to.

I'll try and follow the video to YouTube, and see if I can select an option to see
subtitles, maybe I'll find what you have seen. (The captions may have disappeared
due to a correction at the APOD site.)

2018-06-12 06:12:09 UTC
On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 12:10:07 AM UTC-6, Quadibloc wrote:

> I'll try and follow the video to YouTube, and see if I can select an option to see
> subtitles, maybe I'll find what you have seen. (The captions may have disappeared
> due to a correction at the APOD site.)

On YouTube,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoW8Tf7hTGA

I face an _embarras du richesse_. Apparently captions for this video were
created in a number of different languages, so I can't tell which one you saw.

2018-06-12 06:15:52 UTC
On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 12:12:11 AM UTC-6, Quadibloc wrote:

> I face an _embarras du richesse_. Apparently captions for this video were
> created in a number of different languages, so I can't tell which one you saw.

Aferdita (Venusi)?

Turned on subitles, got one that wasn't in the list giving acknowledgements in
the description.

Got the first language in alphabetical order.

Albanian.

That is a language which you quite reasonably might not have been able to
recognize.

2018-06-12 06:15:42 UTC

You probably have the Albanian captions on. You can change them by clicking on the cog symbol at the bottom.
Dorothy J Heydt
2018-06-12 13:45:04 UTC
In article <2010fe94-382b-4650-8548-***@googlegroups.com>,
David Johnston <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 12:00:03 AM UTC-6, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
>> Okay, the Astronomy Picture of the Day post for 12 June 2018 is a
>> splendid sequence of astronomical bodies/collections of bodies in
>> size order.
>>
>> https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html
>>
>> It starts with Luna and goes on to cover up to possible
>> multiverses.
>>
>> Gorgeous stuff.
>>
>> Now what I want to know is, what language (other than English)
>> are the captions in?
>
>You probably have the Albanian captions on. You can change them by
>clicking on the cog symbol at the bottom.

Aha. I didn't even notice the cog symbol. Albanian; wow.

Thanks.

Steve Coltrin
2018-06-12 14:16:37 UTC
begin fnord
***@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) writes:

> https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html
>
> Now what I want to know is, what language (other than English)
> are the captions in?

Albanian, according to the popup text I get when I turn the captions on.

--
Steve Coltrin ***@omcl.org Google Groups killfiled here
"A group known as the League of Human Dignity helped arrange for Deuel
- Associated Press
Dorothy J Heydt
2018-06-12 18:21:26 UTC
In article <***@kelutral.omcl.org>,
Steve Coltrin <***@omcl.org> wrote:
>begin fnord
>***@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) writes:
>
>> https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html
>>
>> Now what I want to know is, what language (other than English)
>> are the captions in?
>
>Albanian, according to the popup text I get when I turn the captions on.

And I just googled "Albanian language" and the entry confirmed
what I vaguely remembered from fifty-some years ago: Albanian is
an Indo-European language constituting its own language family.

mimus99
2018-07-03 20:39:38 UTC
On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 05:33:19 GMT, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:

> Okay, the Astronomy Picture of the Day post for 12 June 2018 is a
> splendid sequence of astronomical bodies/collections of bodies in
> size order.
>
> https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html
>
> It starts with Luna and goes on to cover up to possible
> multiverses.
>
> Gorgeous stuff.
>
> Now what I want to know is, what language (other than English)
> are the captions in? There are a number of loanwords, but what's
> the core language?? I can't identify it, and it's very annoying
> not to know.
>
> Seems to have -i as a noun ending.
>
> I await enlightenment. Perhaps I should put this on rasf.fandom
> too, only I suspect everyone who still reads that group reads
> this one too.

Seems to have multiple-language captioning, listed on the YT details-page.

Check out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU_ckI3EAtQ&index=5&list=PL6E82D6F050599090

Bit of a jump from star-cloud to galaxy there at the end.

--

This is part of the eternal wonder of the universe
as man forages out to discover in the womb of time

< Malzberg
Dorothy J Heydt
2018-07-04 00:02:54 UTC
In article <z67mhhs4xk8r$***@40tude.net>,
mimus99 <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 05:33:19 GMT, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
>
>> Okay, the Astronomy Picture of the Day post for 12 June 2018 is a
>> splendid sequence of astronomical bodies/collections of bodies in
>> size order.
>>
>> https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html
>>
>> It starts with Luna and goes on to cover up to possible
>> multiverses.
>>
>> Gorgeous stuff.
>>
>> Now what I want to know is, what language (other than English)
>> are the captions in? There are a number of loanwords, but what's
>> the core language?? I can't identify it, and it's very annoying
>> not to know.
>>
>> Seems to have -i as a noun ending.
>>
>> I await enlightenment. Perhaps I should put this on rasf.fandom
>> too, only I suspect everyone who still reads that group reads
>> this one too.
>
>Seems to have multiple-language captioning, listed on the YT details-page.

Yes; the language was identified a while upthread as the first
(in alphabetical order) of many languages available to the makers:
Albanian.

Albanian turns out to be the only language in the Albanian
sub-family of Indo-European languages.

2018-07-04 04:21:30 UTC
On Tuesday, July 3, 2018 at 6:30:03 PM UTC-6, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:

> Albanian turns out to be the only language in the Albanian
> sub-family of Indo-European languages.

Given that the three dialects of Albanian, Skchip, Gheg, and Tosk, aren't mutually
intelligible, Albanian shouldn't feel too lonely.