[Because My Tears Are Delicious To You] Tales of Known Space: The Universe of Larry Niven by Larry Niven
2017-04-09 13:40:37 UTC
Tales of Known Space: The Universe of Larry Niven by Larry Niven

http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/and-i-think-to-myself-what-a-wonderful-world
My Livejournal at http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll
Steve Coltrin
2017-04-09 15:00:29 UTC
begin fnord
Dalzell provided inner cover art for a number of Niven works
published in the mid-1970s. In this case, the two illustrations are
of a Kzin and a Kzin skeleton.
My edition lacks these, dammit. One more thing to keep an eye out for
at the local used.
--
Steve Coltrin ***@omcl.org Google Groups killfiled here
"A group known as the League of Human Dignity helped arrange for Deuel
- Associated Press
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2017-04-09 15:09:40 UTC
Post by Steve Coltrin
begin fnord
Dalzell provided inner cover art for a number of Niven works
published in the mid-1970s. In this case, the two illustrations are
of a Kzin and a Kzin skeleton.
My edition lacks these, dammit. One more thing to keep an eye out for
at the local used.
Spoilers I guess, but if you wanted to check them out then the
illustrations are online illegitimately at

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"If anyone tells me to work smarter, not harder, I will kick him or her hard
in a random body part. I will then kick him or her a second time, "smarter,
force, but target more carefully." -- sunflower, asr
Steve Coltrin
2017-04-09 18:10:09 UTC
begin fnord
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by Steve Coltrin
My edition lacks these, dammit. One more thing to keep an eye out for
at the local used.
Spoilers I guess, but if you wanted to check them out then the
illustrations are online illegitimately at
http://www.sloan3d.com/covers/kzin.jpg and
http://www.sloan3d.com/covers/kzinskel.jpg
Thanks. There's authors I collect just to collect, but Niven is on the
way to no longer being one of them.

That skeleton, though... do kzinti breathe by peristalsis or something?
Also: vertebrae, they're not just for tails any more!
- Associated Press
Carl Fink
2017-04-09 23:58:37 UTC
Post by Steve Coltrin
That skeleton, though... do kzinti breathe by peristalsis or something?
Not all Earth animals breathe by rib-flexion, let alone aliens. Frogs
swallow air, so yes, peristalsis-ish. Crocodilians pump their lungs by using
special muscles and a ligament to move their large liver back and forward,
like the piston in a cylinder.
--
Carl Fink ***@nitpicking.com

Stupid mistakes you can correct!
J. Clarke
Neither exhibit cat-like (or Kzin-like) activity levels though.
Carl Fink
2017-04-10 12:41:00 UTC
Post by Carl Fink
Post by Steve Coltrin
That skeleton, though... do kzinti breathe by peristalsis or something?
Not all Earth animals breathe by rib-flexion, let alone aliens. Frogs
swallow air, so yes, peristalsis-ish. Crocodilians pump their lungs by using
special muscles and a ligament to move their large liver back and forward,
like the piston in a cylinder.
Neither exhibit cat-like (or Kzin-like) activity levels though.
Actually that's pretty arguable. Crocodilians and cats are both ambush
predators that spend most of their time not moving, then suddenly dart and
grab their prey. If you mean basal metabolism, say that. Note that birds
also don't breathe like you or me, pumping air through hollows in their
large bones.

Jack Bohn
2017-04-10 01:39:46 UTC
The cross-braced ribs, which made the broken ones on Chuft-captain less than debilitating, seem to attach to the pelvis all around, making me wonder how flexible the torso is, even if there are vertebrae obscured around the curve of the skeleton.
-Jack
Greg Goss
2017-04-09 19:01:05 UTC
Post by Steve Coltrin
begin fnord
Dalzell provided inner cover art for a number of Niven works
published in the mid-1970s. In this case, the two illustrations are
of a Kzin and a Kzin skeleton.
My edition lacks these, dammit. One more thing to keep an eye out for
at the local used.
This was a feature of the Ballantine (or were they already Del Rey?)
paperbacks. I forget which books had them, but there was also a
puppetter, and I think a kdatlyno.
Steve Coltrin
2017-04-10 01:04:09 UTC
begin fnord
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Steve Coltrin
My edition lacks these, dammit. One more thing to keep an eye out for
at the local used.
This was a feature of the Ballantine (or were they already Del Rey?)
paperbacks. I forget which books had them, but there was also a
puppetter, and I think a kdatlyno.
Mine says Del Rey. The verso reads first edition, fifth printing, but
edition statements of that epoch didn't always uniquely define changes
in content.
- Associated Press
Don Kuenz
2017-04-10 02:36:45 UTC
Post by Steve Coltrin
begin fnord
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Steve Coltrin
My edition lacks these, dammit. One more thing to keep an eye out for
at the local used.
This was a feature of the Ballantine (or were they already Del Rey?)
paperbacks. I forget which books had them, but there was also a
puppetter, and I think a kdatlyno.
Mine says Del Rey. The verso reads first edition, fifth printing, but
edition statements of that epoch didn't always uniquely define changes
in content.
My Ballantine _Tales_ has a Kzinti. My Ballantine _A Gift From Earth_
has ?two spaceships following each other to a planet? My five other
Dell Reys and three other Ballantines have nothing.

Don Kuenz KB7RPU
Default User
2017-04-10 05:17:42 UTC
Post by Steve Coltrin
begin fnord
Dalzell provided inner cover art for a number of Niven works
published in the mid-1970s. In this case, the two illustrations are
of a Kzin and a Kzin skeleton.
My edition lacks these, dammit. One more thing to keep an eye out for
at the local used.
I had the Ballantine/Del Rey version with the illustrations. I think of that when I see covers from Man/Kzin wars with lion or tiger heads on the Kzin.

Brian