"15 Best Mysterious Alien Megastructure Books" by Dan Livingston
2018-08-14 16:02:31 UTC
"15 Best Mysterious Alien Megastructure Books" by Dan Livingston

https://best-sci-fi-books.com/15-best-mysterious-alien-megastructure-books/#more-2211

I've read six of them. I am disappointed in myself.

Lynn
Leo Sgouros
2018-08-14 16:48:57 UTC
"15 Best Mysterious Alien Megastructure Books" by Dan Livingston
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/15-best-mysterious-alien-megastructure-books/#more-2211
I've read six of them. I am disappointed in myself.
Lynn
Claws That Catch (Looking Glass, Book 4): John Ringo, Travis S ...
https://www.amazon.com/Claws-That-Catch-Looking-Glass/dp/1439133131
Claws That Catch (Looking Glass, Book 4) [John Ringo, Travis S. Taylor] on Amazon.com. *FREE* ... A huge space object t as a concert hall/weapon of war?
Gary R. Schmidt
2018-08-15 12:38:59 UTC
Post by Leo Sgouros
Post by Lynn McGuire
"15 Best Mysterious Alien Megastructure Books" by Dan Livingston
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/15-best-mysterious-alien-megastructure-books/#more-2211
I've read six of them. I am disappointed in myself.
Lynn
Claws That Catch (Looking Glass, Book 4): John Ringo, Travis S ...
https://www.amazon.com/Claws-That-Catch-Looking-Glass/dp/1439133131
Claws That Catch (Looking Glass, Book 4) [John Ringo, Travis S. Taylor] on Amazon.com. *FREE* ... A huge space object t as a concert hall/weapon of war?
"A huge space object as a concert hall/weapon of war?" - So Ringo
(master of the zero-dimensional character) is cribbing from Alan Dean
Foster now? "Cause that sounds like a Krang to me!

Cheers,
Gary B-)
--
When men talk to their friends, they insult each other.
They don't really mean it.
They don't mean it either.
D B Davis
2018-08-14 19:21:05 UTC
"15 Best Mysterious Alien Megastructure Books" by Dan Livingston
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/15-best-mysterious-alien-megastructure-books/#more-2211
I've read six of them. I am disappointed in myself.
That's better than me. _Ringworld_ was read and mostly remembered by me.
While _Rendezvous with Rama_ was read and mostly forgotten.

Don
Lynn McGuire
2018-08-14 20:40:13 UTC
Post by D B Davis
Post by Lynn McGuire
"15 Best Mysterious Alien Megastructure Books" by Dan Livingston
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/15-best-mysterious-alien-megastructure-books/#more-2211
I've read six of them. I am disappointed in myself.
That's better than me. _Ringworld_ was read and mostly remembered by me.
While _Rendezvous with Rama_ was read and mostly forgotten.

Thank you,
Sadly, I have forgotten them both. And at least one of them was lost in
The Great Flood of '89.

2018-08-31 12:08:34 UTC
Post by D B Davis
Post by Lynn McGuire
I've read six of them. I am disappointed in myself.
That's better than me. _Ringworld_ was read and mostly remembered by me.
While _Rendezvous with Rama_ was read and mostly forgotten.
Have read 12 (and mostly enjoyed them, reread some when I can), never heard of
one at ALL, and one I probably should have read but haven't yet (Silverberg).

Dave, I am a sucker for literal worldbuilding
2018-08-14 20:21:43 UTC
"15 Best Mysterious Alien Megastructure Books" by Dan Livingston
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/15-best-mysterious-alien-megastructure-books/#more-2211
I've read six of them. I am disappointed in myself.
Lynn
_Gateway_ seemed necessary, although how mysterious is it?
Asteroid full of spaceships, it's obviously a garage.
No, the plumbing, that is a puzzle...

I've read Gateway, Rama, Ringworld, M - Titan. (Close!)

I did post a comment about Cirocco Jones: they misspelled
his name. :-)
Lee Gleason
2018-08-14 21:37:55 UTC
I did post a comment about Cirocco Jones: they misspelled
his name. :-)
HIS name?

--

Lee K. Gleason N5ZMR
Control-G Consultants
***@comcast.net
Robert Carnegie
2018-08-14 22:18:11 UTC
Post by Lee Gleason
Post by Robert Carnegie
I did post a comment about Cirocco Jones: they misspelled
his name. :-)
HIS name?
That is the other thing.

I didn't see an article author name; I did wonder
how recently they had read these books!
d***@gmail.com
2018-08-14 22:45:46 UTC
"15 Best Mysterious Alien Megastructure Books" by Dan Livingston
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/15-best-mysterious-alien-megastructure-books/#more-2211
I've read six of them. I am disappointed in myself.
Lynn
_Gateway_ seemed necessary, although how mysterious is it?
Asteroid full of spaceships, it's obviously a garage.
No, the plumbing, that is a puzzle...
I've read Gateway, Rama, Ringworld, M - Titan. (Close!)
I did post a comment about Cirocco Jones: they misspelled
his name. :-)
I know of _Midnight at the Well of Souls_ but never read it, although i had it on my to read list at one point.

I know of the New Sun and long Sun books, but again have not read them, although thy do seem interesting, and I like other works by Wolfe.

I have read _Gateway_ several times, and most of its sequels. The Gateway asteroid was not mysterious itself, it was who had built it and why that was a mystery.

I started the fist book in the Coyote series after enjoying some related works such as _Clarke County, Space_ but found it not to my taste and never finished it.

I first Read _Across a Billion Years_ when i was about 15, and have reread it many times. The shared but not quite matching background with _Tower of Glass_ is interesting. i didn't really get the feleig of the dyson shhere here as a plac, it seemed to be jsut a stage setting: The asteroid where the robot was waiting was much more vivid for me.

I enjoyed Eon, but never reread it or got into the sequel.

I have read and reread Ringworld and most of its sequels. The Ringworld itself is a huge structure that I feel the author really made to live.

I recall liking _Pushing Ice_ quite a biyt, and should probably reread it.

I Enjoyed _Rendezvous with Rama_ very much indeed, and have reread it many tiems. I read the first two sequels and halted.

None of the others have I read or seriously considered reading.

-DES
Scott Lurndal
2018-08-15 14:09:55 UTC
"15 Best Mysterious Alien Megastructure Books" by Dan Livingston
=20
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/15-best-mysterious-alien-megastructure-bo=
oks/#more-2211
=20
I've read six of them. I am disappointed in myself.
=20
Lynn
=20
_Gateway_ seemed necessary, although how mysterious is it?
Asteroid full of spaceships, it's obviously a garage.
No, the plumbing, that is a puzzle...
=20
I've read Gateway, Rama, Ringworld, M - Titan. (Close!)
=20
I did post a comment about Cirocco Jones: they misspelled=20
his name. :-)
I know of _Midnight at the Well of Souls_ but never read it, although i had=
it on my to read list at one point.=20
I think it's worth a read. Note that the description on the
URL above isn't completely correct. The well world holds
the last 1580 races (out of several million) created by the
Markovians (one of whom may be still wandering around in human form
practicing the jewish religion; it's not clear if he
started out as a Markovian, or became one). The well world
is also a massive computer that overlays a Universe over
an existing, exhausted/depleted universe.

The first two books, and _The Return of Nathan Brazil_ are
the best of the bunch.

I always thought that a book that just followed Obie and Mavra
during their travels in the universe would have been interesting.
Robert Carnegie
2018-08-23 20:09:53 UTC
"15 Best Mysterious Alien Megastructure Books" by Dan Livingston
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/15-best-mysterious-alien-megastructure-books/#more-2211
I've read six of them. I am disappointed in myself.
Lynn
_Gateway_ seemed necessary, although how mysterious is it?
Asteroid full of spaceships, it's obviously a garage.
No, the plumbing, that is a puzzle...
I've read Gateway, Rama, Ringworld, M - Titan. (Close!)
I did post a comment about Cirocco Jones: they misspelled
his name. :-)
The comment was accepted but they don't seem to have
checked the book yet. Watch this enormous alien
construction! :-)
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
2018-08-14 23:01:33 UTC
"15 Best Mysterious Alien Megastructure Books" by Dan Livingston
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/15-best-mysterious-alien-megastructure-books/#more-2211
I've read six of them.  I am disappointed in myself.
Lynn
Pretty good list. I've read several on that one, which is not always
the case with these lists.

But they left out the Arena!
--
Sea Wasp
/^\
http://seawasp.dreamwidth.org
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
2018-08-14 23:20:27 UTC
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Post by Lynn McGuire
"15 Best Mysterious Alien Megastructure Books" by Dan
Livingston
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/15-best-mysterious-alien-megastruc
ture-books/#more-2211
I've read six of them.  I am disappointed in myself.
Lynn
Pretty good list. I've read several on that one, which is
not always
the case with these lists.
But they left out the Arena!
And James S.A. Corey.

2018-08-15 18:56:17 UTC
Post by Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Post by Lynn McGuire
"15 Best Mysterious Alien Megastructure Books" by Dan
Livingston
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/15-best-mysterious-alien-megastruc
ture-books/#more-2211
I've read six of them.  I am disappointed in myself.
Lynn
Pretty good list. I've read several on that one, which is not always
the case with these lists.
But they left out the Arena!
And James S.A. Corey.
My thought exactly as soon as Sea Wasp reminded me.

Thanks,
2018-08-15 22:00:46 UTC
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Post by Lynn McGuire
"15 Best Mysterious Alien Megastructure Books" by Dan
Livingston
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/15-best-mysterious-alien-megastruc
ture-books/#more-2211
I've read six of them.  I am disappointed in myself.
Lynn
Pretty good list. I've read several on that one, which is not always
the case with these lists.
But they left out the Arena!
And James S.A. Corey.
My thought exactly as soon as Sea Wasp reminded me.
That was my thought as soon as I saw the list. It's not like it's
obscure or long forgotten.

2018-08-31 12:12:54 UTC
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Post by Lynn McGuire
"15 Best Mysterious Alien Megastructure Books" by Dan Livingston
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/15-best-mysterious-alien-megastruc
ture-books/#more-2211
I've read six of them.  I am disappointed in myself.
Pretty good list. I've read several on that one, which is
not always the case with these lists.
But they left out the Arena!
And James S.A. Corey.
The Xeelee seem arbitrarily left out as well, and Ian Douglas' newer Altered
Starscape series might well fit too.

Dave, and Dorothy has some Opinions about Hell, Purgatory, and Heaven from
Dante, if I recall right
a***@yahoo.com
2018-08-15 00:53:59 UTC
Rogue Moon, anybody?
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2018-08-15 02:44:16 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Rogue Moon, anybody?
Dip-da-dip moon, moon, moon rogue moon..
2018-08-15 08:08:02 UTC
"That's no tune" :-)
Jack Bohn
2018-08-15 16:05:25 UTC
"15 Best Mysterious Alien Megastructure Books" by Dan Livingston
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/15-best-mysterious-alien-megastructure-books/#more-2211
When I first saw the subject line, it was truncated at "Alien Megastructure",which led me to think it was just a list of them, which led me to the) thought that Charles Sheffield's Heritage Universe books (_Summertide_ and a bunch of one-word titles ending in "-ence") could provide 15 by itself. Alas, as a book, and even more so as a series, I'd place it low on a list. In fact Summertide itself is unsatisfying as a mysterious alien megastructure. It is a pair of tidally-locked planets with a space elevator running between them. It occurred to Sheffield that the planets would not stay in a perfectly circular orbit around each other, (or their center of mass, if looked at that way,) and there isn't a material that would take that kind of tension. Unfortunately his solution was a magic dimensional hole where the slack from a close approach could push into, and spare cable could spool out as the planets separate.
Post by Lynn McGuire
I've read six of them. I am disappointed in myself.
Seven. HA!
-Jack
Greg Goss
2018-08-19 18:35:31 UTC
[...]
Can't they build TWO towers, connected on rails as they meet each
other. Then they would slip inwards or outwards, remaining connected.
I'm not sure what the crossover stations would look like.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petronas_Towers#Skybridge
2018-08-23 15:27:54 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
[...]
Hmm... what speed would they be traveling on these rails? "Astronomical!" I'd say. Of course, that word's connotations of high magnitude are not necessarily always literal. Some relative motion might be quite gradual. I suspect it might not be in most cases as the two orbits are perturbed over the eons by the different placement of various butterflies. The rails cannot be free-sliding; they have to be coupled to each other with material or forces that can take the tension, and some decision mechanism on when to expand or contract. (The same is true of the current spool hidden in another dimension, but it is hidden.)

Good heavens, then there's libration! The endpoints of the elevator(s) will not always be directly opposite each other. The tower will sway, and the cable will be under tension not in line with the gravity. I wonder if it would be necessary to let the cable "fall" as it may (actually the various points on its length assuming different orbits) to keep tension reasonable. In a quarter orbit it will come back and want to go the other way. I'm picturing some sinusoidally rippling thing we couldn't get even James Nichol to ride.
-Jack
Default User
2018-08-18 20:32:21 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
I've read six of them. I am disappointed in myself.
Normally I don't do well on these, but this happens to be something I
enjoy so I did better than usual. I scored 10/15.

Brian