A. E. van Vogt / E. Mayne Hull
Des
2018-06-26 19:12:23 UTC
I've been looking to buy "Out of the Unknown" or "The Sea Thing", which I think it was reissued as, for quite a while, as an ebook. Had the former years ago hardcopy. Cannot find it on Amazon, any suggestions? For that matter, any of E. Mayne Hull's work.

Thanks.
Lynn McGuire
2018-06-26 19:30:18 UTC
Post by Des
I've been looking to buy "Out of the Unknown" or "The Sea Thing", which I think it was reissued as, for quite a while, as an ebook. Had the former years ago hardcopy. Cannot find it on Amazon, any suggestions? For that matter, any of E. Mayne Hull's work.
Thanks.
Maybe here:
https://www.hpb.com/

I assume that you looked at
www.goodreads.com

Lynn
Des
2018-06-27 15:00:40 UTC
Post by Des
I've been looking to buy "Out of the Unknown" or "The Sea Thing", which I think it was reissued as, for quite a while, as an ebook. Had the former years ago hardcopy. Cannot find it on Amazon, any suggestions? For that matter, any of E. Mayne Hull's work.
Thanks.
https://www.hpb.com/
I assume that you looked at
www.goodreads.com
Lynn
Thank you for your reply. My browser will not let me connect to the first link for security reasons, and the second has hard copies only.

Des
Lynn McGuire
2018-06-27 19:46:12 UTC
Post by Des
Huh. www.hpb.com is the used book chain, "Half Price Books".

2018-06-27 20:29:45 UTC
Post by Des
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Des
I've been looking to buy "Out of the Unknown" or "The Sea Thing", which I think it was reissued as, for quite a while, as an ebook. Had the former years ago hardcopy. Cannot find it on Amazon, any suggestions? For that matter, any of E. Mayne Hull's work.
Thanks.
https://www.hpb.com/
I assume that you looked at
www.goodreads.com
Lynn
Thank you for your reply. My browser will not let me connect to the first link for security reasons, and the second has hard copies only.
Des
Huh. www.hpb.com is the used book chain, "Half Price Books".
Lynn
Out of the Unknown (Used, $8.99):

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=22618049151
Lynn McGuire
2018-06-27 21:21:49 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Des
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Des
I've been looking to buy "Out of the Unknown" or "The Sea Thing", which I think it was reissued as, for quite a while, as an ebook. Had the former years ago hardcopy. Cannot find it on Amazon, any suggestions? For that matter, any of E. Mayne Hull's work.
Thanks.
https://www.hpb.com/
I assume that you looked at
www.goodreads.com
Lynn
Thank you for your reply. My browser will not let me connect to the first link for security reasons, and the second has hard copies only.
Des
Huh. www.hpb.com is the used book chain, "Half Price Books".
Lynn
https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=22618049151
There is a $5 copy for sale on Big River (plus $5 shipping):
https://www.amazon.com/Out-Van-Vogt-Mayne-Hull/dp/0450006158/

2018-06-27 23:35:33 UTC
Post by Des
Post by Des
Post by Des
Post by Des
Des
Huh. www.hpb.com is the used book chain, "Half Price Books".
I wonder if googling on "Half Price Books" would evade the
security dragon?

I have ESET, which treats my system the way an elderly, grizzled,
widowed seen-all-that-before duenna treats a half-witted fourteen-year-old
fluffyheaded maiden. I suppose she^H^H^Hit means well.

I just tried googling "Half Price Books" and got a list of books.
I fear Des's duenna is even stricter than mine.
2018-06-26 20:17:31 UTC
Post by Des
I've been looking to buy "Out of the Unknown" or "The Sea Thing", which
I think it was reissued as, for quite a while, as an ebook. Had the
former years ago hardcopy. Cannot find it on Amazon, any suggestions?
For that matter, any of E. Mayne Hull's work.
Thanks.
"The Sea Thing"

http://www.prosperosisle.org/spip.php?article233

ebook version at the bottom.

That site has many of VVs works, and an overview at:

http://www.prosperosisle.org/spip.php?article214

I don't see "Out Of The Unknown" except in a note about "The Ghost".
(But the indexing is sometimes a bit lacking/confusing there)
Des
2018-06-27 15:04:08 UTC
Post by Des
Post by Des
I've been looking to buy "Out of the Unknown" or "The Sea Thing", which
I think it was reissued as, for quite a while, as an ebook. Had the
former years ago hardcopy. Cannot find it on Amazon, any suggestions?
For that matter, any of E. Mayne Hull's work.
Thanks.
"The Sea Thing"
http://www.prosperosisle.org/spip.php?article233
ebook version at the bottom.
http://www.prosperosisle.org/spip.php?article214
I don't see "Out Of The Unknown" except in a note about "The Ghost".
(But the indexing is sometimes a bit lacking/confusing there)
Thanks, it does indeed have The Sea Thing story, for which I am obliged, but there was a collection by the same name which had the "Wish" stories, "The Wellwisher" etc.

Des
D B Davis
2018-06-27 15:34:02 UTC
Post by Des
Post by Des
I've been looking to buy "Out of the Unknown" or "The Sea Thing", which
I think it was reissued as, for quite a while, as an ebook. Had the
former years ago hardcopy. Cannot find it on Amazon, any suggestions?
For that matter, any of E. Mayne Hull's work.
Thanks.
"The Sea Thing"
http://www.prosperosisle.org/spip.php?article233
ebook version at the bottom.
http://www.prosperosisle.org/spip.php?article214
I don't see "Out Of The Unknown" except in a note about "The Ghost".
(But the indexing is sometimes a bit lacking/confusing there)
_Prospero's Isle_ is a very interesting website. One of its articles
argues that German contains more words than English. [1]
The website uses php to access its indexed articles. For instance,
it uses article214 as a container for the VV overview. Given the lack of
a descriptive name for the container, a cross reference is mostly
mandatory in order to know what the heck article214 contains.
In contrast, James Nicoll uses a descriptive name for each of his
containers. For instance, they-burn-in-our-brains [2] is the descriptive
name for his _The Gate of Gods_ (Wells) review.
Nicoll nomenclature works better for me than the php-index approach,
because the latter requires a higher level of technical competence. Its
more complicated, ergo there's more things that can break. "Anything
that can go wrong, will go wrong" - Murphy's law. O'Toole's Commentary
on Murphy's Law observes that, in fact, Murphy was an Optimist.
Nicoll nomenclature seems to include some inside humor. A more
straight-forward nomenclature works better for me. So a contraction of
the title of _The Man Who Lived Backwards and Other Stories_ (Hall) [3]
is used for my own review.

Note.

1. http://www.prosperosisle.org/spip.php?article318
2. https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/they-burn-in-our-brains
3. http://crcomp.net/review/manwholivedbackwards/

Don
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2018-06-27 17:04:57 UTC
Post by D B Davis
Post by Des
Post by Des
[...]
It may just be the default choice. I know that for Wordpress, which is PHP
based, you have the choice of taking the default URL convention, which is
number based such as:

http://columbiaclosings.com/wordpress/?p=14513

or make up your own descriptive URLs. When I started columbiaclosings
in 2007, I didn't know enough to change the default (and now I'm not going
to go back and re-URL 10+ years of articles..)

Off course, google will crawl your site either way.