paging Larry Niven..., was: largest wave ever surfed
danny burstein
2018-04-29 19:17:46 UTC
x-posted from alt.global-warming

***@panix.com
BCFD36
2018-04-29 21:07:52 UTC
On 4/29/18 12:17, danny burstein wrote:
> x-posted from alt.global-warming
>

> In <pc54o9$kh5$***@gioia.aioe.org> ***@kymhorsell.com writes:

>> Koxa achieved the feat in Nazare, Portugal, on Nov 8, 2017, as he
>> broke the world record for riding a wave 24.28 metres, overtaking the
>> previous record of 23.77 metres set by Garrett McNamara in 2011.

For the metrically challenged, that is 79.66 feet. The mind doth boggle.

--
Dave Scruggs
Captain, Boulder Creek Fire (Retired)
Senior Software Engineer - NASA Ames Research Center (Not Retired)
Dimensional Traveler
2018-04-29 21:50:12 UTC
On 4/29/2018 12:17 PM, danny burstein wrote:
> x-posted from alt.global-warming
>

> In <pc54o9$kh5$***@gioia.aioe.org> ***@kymhorsell.com writes:
>
>> <http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-30/rodrigo-koxa-rides-biggest-wave-ever-surfed/9709124>
>
>> Biggest wave ever surfed: Rodrigo Koxa awarded prize for record-breaking ride
>
>> 29 Apr 2018 15:46Z
>> ABC News
>
>> [video] Brazilian surfer Rodrigo Koxa rides the record-breaking wave in Portugal (ABC News)
>
>> Brazilian surfer Rodrigo Koxa has claimed the major prize at the Big
>> Wave Awards in California, winning the biggest wave award for the
>> largest wave ever surfed.
>
>> Koxa achieved the feat in Nazare, Portugal, on Nov 8, 2017, as he
>> broke the world record for riding a wave 24.28 metres, overtaking the
>> previous record of 23.77 metres set by Garrett McNamara in 2011.
>
>> Koxa's compatriot Lucas Chianca, 22, who won the Nazare Challenge
>> earlier this year, was awarded the best men's overall performance trophy.
>
>> The best women's overall performance went to Hawaiian surfer Paige
>> Alms for the third time in her career.
>
>> Alms defended her Big Wave Tour crown after winning the Pe'ahi
>> Challenge this year.
>
>> Britain's Andrew Cotton won the wipeout of the year award after his
>> horror fall in Nazare, Portugal, on Nov 8, 2017.
>
>> Cotton wasn't present to pick up his award as he is still recovering
>>from the broken vertebrae that he suffered in that wipeout.

I'm surprised that last line doesn't disqualify his "run".

2018-04-29 21:51:33 UTC
On Sun, 29 Apr 2018 14:50:12 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
<***@sonic.net> wrote:

>On 4/29/2018 12:17 PM, danny burstein wrote:
>> x-posted from alt.global-warming
>>

>> In <pc54o9$kh5$***@gioia.aioe.org> ***@kymhorsell.com writes:
>>
>>> <http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-30/rodrigo-koxa-rides-biggest-wave-ever-surfed/9709124>
>>
>>> Biggest wave ever surfed: Rodrigo Koxa awarded prize for record-breaking ride
>>
>>> 29 Apr 2018 15:46Z
>>> ABC News
>>
>>> [video] Brazilian surfer Rodrigo Koxa rides the record-breaking wave in Portugal (ABC News)
>>
>>> Brazilian surfer Rodrigo Koxa has claimed the major prize at the Big
>>> Wave Awards in California, winning the biggest wave award for the
>>> largest wave ever surfed.
>>
>>> Koxa achieved the feat in Nazare, Portugal, on Nov 8, 2017, as he
>>> broke the world record for riding a wave 24.28 metres, overtaking the
>>> previous record of 23.77 metres set by Garrett McNamara in 2011.
>>
>>> Koxa's compatriot Lucas Chianca, 22, who won the Nazare Challenge
>>> earlier this year, was awarded the best men's overall performance trophy.
>>
>>> The best women's overall performance went to Hawaiian surfer Paige
>>> Alms for the third time in her career.
>>
>>> Alms defended her Big Wave Tour crown after winning the Pe'ahi
>>> Challenge this year.
>>
>>> Britain's Andrew Cotton won the wipeout of the year award after his
>>> horror fall in Nazare, Portugal, on Nov 8, 2017.
>>
>>> Cotton wasn't present to pick up his award as he is still recovering
>>>from the broken vertebrae that he suffered in that wipeout.
>>

>I'm surprised that last line doesn't disqualify his "run".

Why would getting injured in a wipeout make it unworthy of "wipeout of
the year"? The award isn't for "most amazing avoidance of injury".
Dimensional Traveler
2018-04-30 01:50:28 UTC
On 4/29/2018 2:51 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Apr 2018 14:50:12 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
> <***@sonic.net> wrote:
>
>> On 4/29/2018 12:17 PM, danny burstein wrote:
>>> x-posted from alt.global-warming

>> I'm surprised that last line doesn't disqualify his "run".
>
> Why would getting injured in a wipeout make it unworthy of "wipeout of
> the year"? The award isn't for "most amazing avoidance of injury".

He didn't win "wipeout of the year". He broke a record for surfing the
largest wave but I'd argue that if he wiped out badly enough to break
his back he did not _successfully_ surf the wave.

2018-04-30 02:49:22 UTC

You are travelling in the wrong dimension.
Paul Colquhoun
2018-04-30 03:23:56 UTC
On Sun, 29 Apr 2018 18:50:28 -0700, Dimensional Traveler <***@sonic.net> wrote:
| On 4/29/2018 2:51 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
|> On Sun, 29 Apr 2018 14:50:12 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
|> <***@sonic.net> wrote:

|>> I'm surprised that last line doesn't disqualify his "run".
|>
|> Why would getting injured in a wipeout make it unworthy of "wipeout of
|> the year"? The award isn't for "most amazing avoidance of injury".
|>
| He didn't win "wipeout of the year". He broke a record for surfing the
| largest wave but I'd argue that if he wiped out badly enough to break
| his back he did not _successfully_ surf the wave.

Rodrigo Koxa won the Big Wave award, Andrew Cotton won the Wipeout of
the Year.

Different people, different awards.

--
Reverend Paul Colquhoun, ULC. http://andor.dropbear.id.au/
Asking for technical help in newsgroups? Read this first:
http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#intro
Dimensional Traveler
2018-04-30 06:21:04 UTC
On 4/29/2018 8:23 PM, Paul Colquhoun wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Apr 2018 18:50:28 -0700, Dimensional Traveler <***@sonic.net> wrote:
> | On 4/29/2018 2:51 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

> |> Why would getting injured in a wipeout make it unworthy of "wipeout of
> |> the year"? The award isn't for "most amazing avoidance of injury".
> |>
> | He didn't win "wipeout of the year". He broke a record for surfing the
> | largest wave but I'd argue that if he wiped out badly enough to break
> | his back he did not _successfully_ surf the wave.
>

> Rodrigo Koxa won the Big Wave award, Andrew Cotton won the Wipeout of
> the Year.
>
> Different people, different awards.

Ah, re-reading that you are right. My apologies.

2018-04-30 03:30:36 UTC
<***@sonic.net> wrote:

>On 4/29/2018 2:51 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
>> On Sun, 29 Apr 2018 14:50:12 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
>> <***@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> I'm surprised that last line doesn't disqualify his "run".
>>
>> Why would getting injured in a wipeout make it unworthy of "wipeout of
>> the year"? The award isn't for "most amazing avoidance of injury".
>>
>He didn't win "wipeout of the year". He broke a record for surfing the
>largest wave but I'd argue that if he wiped out badly enough to break
>his back he did not _successfully_ surf the wave.

You are conflating two people. Rodriguo Koxa won the "Biggest Wave
Award". Andrew Cotton won the "Wipeout of the Year Award", fracturing
a vertebra in the process.
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2018-04-30 03:45:29 UTC
In article <***@4ax.com>,
J. Clarke <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Sun, 29 Apr 2018 18:50:28 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
><***@sonic.net> wrote:
>
>>On 4/29/2018 2:51 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

><http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-30/rodrigo-koxa-rides-biggest-wave-ever-surfed/9709124>

>record-breaking ride

>wave in Portugal (ABC News)

>>> Why would getting injured in a wipeout make it unworthy of "wipeout of
>>> the year"? The award isn't for "most amazing avoidance of injury".
>>>
>>He didn't win "wipeout of the year". He broke a record for surfing the
>>largest wave but I'd argue that if he wiped out badly enough to break
>>his back he did not _successfully_ surf the wave.
>
>You are conflating two people. Rodriguo Koxa won the "Biggest Wave
>Award". Andrew Cotton won the "Wipeout of the Year Award", fracturing
>a vertebra in the process.

Ooo, ya gotta be a little nuts..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6Sjo4ASzYA