Alice Grove: "Tuned to the same physics"
2017-07-07 02:57:24 UTC
AG came up again when I opened my daily comics tab just now, and I re-read
it. Seems to me Alice's words are pretty interesting, and imply that
they *are* running as a simulation, albeit a different one than Gavia and
Ardent came from. It also implies that some things in the simulation are
tuned to other physics: The Blink, perhaps? (And now Ardent).

Of course the tree lady seems to think this is the non-inner reality...
Bill Dugan
2017-07-07 14:15:32 UTC
AG came up again when I opened my daily comics tab just now, and I re-read
it. Seems to me Alice's words are pretty interesting, and imply that
they *are* running as a simulation, albeit a different one than Gavia and
Ardent came from. It also implies that some things in the simulation are
tuned to other physics: The Blink, perhaps? (And now Ardent).
Of course the tree lady seems to think this is the non-inner reality...
She said the realities in the Praeses have the same ontological status
as the one they're in now. Of course that could just mean they're all
simulations.
Robert Carnegie
2017-07-07 17:38:59 UTC
Post by Bill Dugan
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
AG came up again when I opened my daily comics tab just now, and I re-read
it. Seems to me Alice's words are pretty interesting, and imply that
they *are* running as a simulation, albeit a different one than Gavia and
Ardent came from. It also implies that some things in the simulation are
tuned to other physics: The Blink, perhaps? (And now Ardent).
Of course the tree lady seems to think this is the non-inner reality...
She said the realities in the Praeses have the same ontological status
as the one they're in now. Of course that could just mean they're all
simulations.
And it's all happening inside a web comic
(that I haven't been reading), although probably
they aren't supposed to know /that/.

It's been done elsewhere; Stan Lee and Phil Foglio
have had on-page encounters with their characters,
not always friendly. Stan Lee also shows up in the
movies; I expect the Foglios will do that, too.
David Mitchell
2017-07-08 05:54:55 UTC
Post by Bill Dugan
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
AG came up again when I opened my daily comics tab just now, and I re-read
it. Seems to me Alice's words are pretty interesting, and imply that
they *are* running as a simulation, albeit a different one than Gavia and
Ardent came from. It also implies that some things in the simulation are
tuned to other physics: The Blink, perhaps? (And now Ardent).
Of course the tree lady seems to think this is the non-inner reality...
She said the realities in the Praeses have the same ontological status
as the one they're in now. Of course that could just mean they're all
simulations.
I read that as meaning that *to their inhabitants*, they're as real as our world
is to us, *its* inhabitants.
Bill Dugan
2017-07-08 16:35:03 UTC
AG came up again when I opened my daily comics tab just now, and I re-read
it. Seems to me Alice's words are pretty interesting, and imply that
they *are* running as a simulation, albeit a different one than Gavia and
Ardent came from. It also implies that some things in the simulation are
tuned to other physics: The Blink, perhaps? (And now Ardent).
Of course the tree lady seems to think this is the non-inner reality...
It's also interesting that she says "He's stronger and faster than
us", rather than "He was ...". Is he really out of commission
permanently?
David Johnston
I assume not given what he's already survived.
Dorothy J Heydt
2017-07-08 22:49:03 UTC
Post by Bill Dugan
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
AG came up again when I opened my daily comics tab just now, and I re-read
it. Seems to me Alice's words are pretty interesting, and imply that
they *are* running as a simulation, albeit a different one than Gavia and
Ardent came from. It also implies that some things in the simulation are
tuned to other physics: The Blink, perhaps? (And now Ardent).
Of course the tree lady seems to think this is the non-inner reality...
It's also interesting that she says "He's stronger and faster than
us", rather than "He was ...". Is he really out of commission
permanently?
Dunno, but with any kind of luck the story will end (as I gather
it's about to) before he recovers.

Meanwhile, I'm interested in what Church's bear-leader is going
to reply to the tree lady's question.
2017-07-08 23:20:20 UTC
Post by Bill Dugan
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
AG came up again when I opened my daily comics tab just now, and I re-read
it. Seems to me Alice's words are pretty interesting, and imply that
they *are* running as a simulation, albeit a different one than Gavia and
Ardent came from. It also implies that some things in the simulation are
tuned to other physics: The Blink, perhaps? (And now Ardent).
Of course the tree lady seems to think this is the non-inner reality...
It's also interesting that she says "He's stronger and faster than
us", rather than "He was ...". Is he really out of commission
permanently?
Dunno, but with any kind of luck the story will end (as I gather
it's about to) before he recovers.
Meanwhile, I'm interested in what Church's bear-leader is going
to reply to the tree lady's question.
Ending it before he recovers would be the kind of cliff-hanger ending that
you get with TV series cancelled in mid-stream. I want to see Church
either sincerely dead or assigned to a more congenial master.
Bill Dugan
2017-07-09 06:57:33 UTC
Post by Bill Dugan
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
AG came up again when I opened my daily comics tab just now, and I re-read
it. Seems to me Alice's words are pretty interesting, and imply that
they *are* running as a simulation, albeit a different one than Gavia and
Ardent came from. It also implies that some things in the simulation are
tuned to other physics: The Blink, perhaps? (And now Ardent).
Of course the tree lady seems to think this is the non-inner reality...
It's also interesting that she says "He's stronger and faster than
us", rather than "He was ...". Is he really out of commission
permanently?
Dunno, but with any kind of luck the story will end (as I gather
it's about to) before he recovers.
Meanwhile, I'm interested in what Church's bear-leader is going
to reply to the tree lady's question.
It'll also be interesting to hear how (or if) Alice answers his
question.