I'm doing an Ask Me Anything on Reddit...
Add Reply
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
2017-03-07 14:59:34 UTC
... in case anyone's interested, here's the link!

https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/5y0s3x/ryk_e_spoor_sff_author_gamer_anime_fanboy_geek/?ref=share&ref_source=link
--
Sea Wasp
/^\
http://seawasp.livejournal.com
nuny@bid.nes
2017-03-08 05:23:15 UTC
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
... in case anyone's interested, here's the link!
https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/5y0s3x/ryk_e_spoor_sff_author_gamer_anime_fanboy_geek/?ref=share&ref_source=link
Aaand, we're your lifeline?

No problem. I'm in.

Mark L. Fergerson
Dimensional Traveler
2017-03-08 06:00:07 UTC
Post by ***@bid.nes
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
... in case anyone's interested, here's the link!
https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/5y0s3x/ryk_e_spoor_sff_author_gamer_anime_fanboy_geek/?ref=share&ref_source=link
Aaand, we're your lifeline?
No problem. I'm in.
Wait, we're supposed to _help_ him?

:P
--
Running the rec.arts.TV Channels Watched Survey.
Winter 2016 survey began Dec 01 and will end Feb 28
nuny@bid.nes
2017-03-09 04:47:12 UTC
Post by ***@bid.nes
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
... in case anyone's interested, here's the link!
https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/5y0s3x/ryk_e_spoor_sff_author_gamer_anime_fanboy_geek/?ref=share&ref_source=link
Aaand, we're your lifeline?
No problem. I'm in.
Wait, we're supposed to _help_ him?
:P
Why not? I don't consider him competition. I mean, I've only ever written one piece of fanfic and two original stories, and they're all still in outline stage. :(

Mark L. Fergerson
a425couple
2017-03-11 04:11:19 UTC
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
... in case anyone's interested, here's the link!
https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/5y0s3x/ryk_e_spoor_sff_author_gamer_anime_fanboy_geek/?ref=share&ref_source=link
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Sea Wasp
/^\
;;; Website: http://www.grandcentralarena.com
Blog: http://seawasp.livejournal.com
Well, I realize I should have helped you out,
but somehow I missed that technology.

My question is, I read and enjoyed your book
"Boundary", and bought the next one (for a soon vacation).
They list you, and Eric Flint as the authors.

What does he do, and what do you do?

For example:
As I understand it, Arthur Clarke wrote "Rendezvous with
Rama", but that although both Clarke and Gentry Lee are
listed as authors for "Rama II",,,, I really doubt that Arthur Clark
did more that approve of the concept. Sad!
(No, no I did not like the silly soap opera backstabbing in the II!!)
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
2017-03-12 02:04:41 UTC
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
... in case anyone's interested, here's the link!
https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/5y0s3x/ryk_e_spoor_sff_author_gamer_anime_fanboy_geek/?ref=share&ref_source=link
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Sea Wasp
/^\
;;; Website: http://www.grandcentralarena.com
Blog: http://seawasp.livejournal.com
Well, I realize I should have helped you out,
but somehow I missed that technology.
My question is, I read and enjoyed your book
"Boundary", and bought the next one (for a soon vacation).
They list you, and Eric Flint as the authors.
What does he do, and what do you do?
We both work out the general outline of the series, and sometimes have
to go back and forth a couple times before we've settled it.

In the case of Boundary, which was the first novel in that universe, my
first hard-SF novel, AND my first large-scale collaboration with Eric
(I'd done the short novel "Diamonds Are Forever" with him previously),
not only did we do more specific work on the outline, I also ended up
with him doing significant modification of the first draft; I then
"smoothed over the joins" so that there weren't jarring changes of
style. (people have occasionally said "Oh, I can see where Eric took
over" or "I can tell which parts you wrote", but usually they end up
pointing to pieces that either the other one wrote, or that both of us
worked on at once, and never the SAME parts).

So "Boundary" is about 60% my work, 40% Eric's. Threshold is about 85%
mine; Portal is about 95% mine, as are the Castaway books. (i.e., in
each of the later books, Eric's done one additional or heavily modified
chapter, but all the rest is what I wrote).

However, all of them get sent to Eric for examination and approval both
at about the 10-20k level (to make sure everything's going in the
direction he expects) and at the full draft level, so that he can make
sure it all works for him, and he can add anything he feels is
necessary. Any changes he does I go over and make sure they fit properly
with everything else before we do a final submission.
--
Sea Wasp
/^\
http://seawasp.livejournal.com
a425couple
2017-03-12 03:53:25 UTC
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
... in case anyone's interested, here's the link!
https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/5y0s3x/ryk_e_spoor_sff_author_gamer_anime_fanboy_geek/?ref=share&ref_source=link
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Sea Wasp
/^\
[...]
Interesting. Thanks for the information.
My best wishes to you both.
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
2017-03-12 14:10:46 UTC
Post by a425couple
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
... in case anyone's interested, here's the link!
https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/5y0s3x/ryk_e_spoor_sff_author_gamer_anime_fanboy_geek/?ref=share&ref_source=link
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Sea Wasp
/^\
[...]