"Publicity Campaign" ss by Arthur Clarke
a425couple
2017-07-17 03:20:59 UTC
Arthur C. Clarke wrote the short story "Publicity Campaign",
in 1953. I read it in the book, collection of his short stories,
"Tales from Planet Earth".
Just previously, I had read "If I Forget Thee, Oh Earth..."
which was sad, but left one with at least a bit of optimism for
the human species returning to Earth, this one was just frustrating
and sad.

Here are a few things to read about it:
Variety SF: Arthur C. Clarke's "Publicity Campaign": Scared humans ...
variety-sf.blogspot.com/2007/10/arthur-clarkes-publicity-campaign.html
Oct 17, 2007 - Arthur C. Clarke's "Publicity Campaign": Scared humans
turn benevolent aliens to malevolent ones! This short 2-part piece of
humor has very ...
(humor??? I guess I just was not in a proper mood!)

http://variety-sf.blogspot.com/2007/10/arthur-clarkes-publicity-campaign.html

Publicity Campaign (London Evening News, 1953) by Arthur C. Clarke ...
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32945358-publicity-campaign
Rating: 3 - ‎4 votes
Publicity Campaign has 4 ratings and 2 reviews: Published 1953 by London
Evening News,

If you wish to hear it, here is a youtube with it being read:

Arthur C Clark Collected Stories 3 19 Publicity Campaign 10:20 seconds
Butch Malahide
2017-07-17 08:35:52 UTC
Post by a425couple
[...]
http://youtu.be/u3moVGK8Oes
Arthur C Clark Collected Stories 3 19 Publicity Campaign 10:20 seconds
Or you can read it at the Internet Archive:

https://archive.org/stream/Satellite_v01n01_1956-10_cape1736#page/n109/mode/2up
a425couple
2017-07-17 16:25:39 UTC
Post by Butch Malahide
Post by a425couple
[...]
Yes indeed. That works perfectly.
Thank you.

D B Davis
2017-07-17 12:59:21 UTC
Post by a425couple
[...]
"If I Forget Thee, Oh Earth..." was read by me for the first time after
you mentioned it in another thread. The story offers a glimmer of hope
for mankind because at the time it was written humanity was on the verge
of landing on the moon and the prospect of a viable lunar colony didn't
seem as far fetched as it does today.

When the story was written did people have a healthier respect for the
fallout, so to speak, from Nuclear war? Nowadays people seem complacent
about nuclear war. Belligerent neocons and fellow travelers go out of
their way to try to provoke a war with nuclear armed Russia.

Don