YASID Rebellion by destroying matter-transmitter
Add Reply
Nyrath
2018-06-26 21:15:56 UTC
I fear that nobody will be able to identify this short story since I remember so little of it.

I am pretty sure it is by James Blish and the time period is somewhere in the 1950s to 1970s. But not 100% sure.

In the future, interstellar travel was by instantaneous matter transmitter. An inhabited planet was a part of an interstellar empire. The planet wanted to gain its independence.

The first act of rebellion was to destroy the imperial matter transmitter. This would ensure that the empire could not send space warships to suppress the rebellion.

But the rebellion failed when a secret imperial matter transmitter hidden in the asteroid belt springs to life and starts disgorging an imperial battle fleet.

Does this sound familiar? Sorry I cannot remember much about it.
m***@gmail.com
2018-06-26 21:30:23 UTC
Post by Nyrath
I fear that nobody will be able to identify this short story since I remember so little of it.
I am pretty sure it is by James Blish and the time period is somewhere in the 1950s to 1970s. But not 100% sure.
In the future, interstellar travel was by instantaneous matter transmitter. An inhabited planet was a part of an interstellar empire. The planet wanted to gain its independence.
The first act of rebellion was to destroy the imperial matter transmitter. This would ensure that the empire could not send space warships to suppress the rebellion.
But the rebellion failed when a secret imperial matter transmitter hidden in the asteroid belt springs to life and starts disgorging an imperial battle fleet.
Does this sound familiar? Sorry I cannot remember much about it.
Sounds very like Poul Anderson's The Enemy Stars.

That had matter transmitters, but ones which had in the first instance to be carried by ship to the star system concerned.

Iirc one of the rebel sympathisers *theorised* that the government would have such a backup transmatter. Not sure if they put it to the test.

Mike Stone - Peterborough, England.

Always drink upriver from the herd.
Nyrath
2018-06-27 18:26:51 UTC
Alas, that is not the story.
You are correct that is has a very similar matter-transmitter set-up. But no rebels.