[tor dot com] Doing the Math: Aliens and Advanced Tech in Science Fiction
2018-09-06 14:38:03 UTC
Doing the Math: Aliens and Advanced Tech in Science Fiction

https://www.tor.com/2018/09/06/doing-the-math-aliens-and-advanced-tech-in-science-fiction/
2018-09-06 21:11:50 UTC
Doing the Math: Aliens and Advanced Tech in Science Fiction
https://www.tor.com/2018/09/06/doing-the-math-aliens-and-advanced-tech-in-science-fiction/
Again the comments don't cooperate with my Opera browser.

Opera isn't Chrome itself but it may still "upgrade" itself
when I'm not looking. It wasn't a problem before.
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2018-09-06 21:22:31 UTC
Doing the Math: Aliens and Advanced Tech in Science Fiction
https://www.tor.com/2018/09/06/doing-the-math-aliens-and-advanced-tech-in-science-fiction/
Again the comments don't cooperate with my Opera browser.
Opera isn't Chrome itself but it may still "upgrade" itself
when I'm not looking. It wasn't a problem before.
Web designers can't leave things alone. They have to have the latest
javascript-that-mostly-works-except-oops-on-your-browser feature.

I recently had a form I had to fill out that was *completely* blank
on firefox.
Carl Fink
2018-09-07 01:40:21 UTC
Doing the Math: Aliens and Advanced Tech in Science Fiction
https://www.tor.com/2018/09/06/doing-the-math-aliens-and-advanced-tech-in-science-fiction/
Again the comments don't cooperate with my Opera browser.
Opera isn't Chrome itself but it may still "upgrade" itself
when I'm not looking. It wasn't a problem before.
In my experience, 100% of the time clearing cookies and cache and reloading
the page fixes the comment problem. I don't use Opera, though.
--
Carl Fink ***@nitpicking.com

Read John Grant's book, Corrupted Science: http://a.co/9UsUoGu
Dedicated to ... Carl Fink!
Michael Ikeda
2018-09-07 12:58:09 UTC
Post by Carl Fink
On Thursday, 6 September 2018 15:38:05 UTC+1, James Nicoll
Post by James Nicoll
Doing the Math: Aliens and Advanced Tech in Science Fiction
https://www.tor.com/2018/09/06/doing-the-math-aliens-and-advanc
ed-tech-in-science-fiction/ --
Again the comments don't cooperate with my Opera browser.
Opera isn't Chrome itself but it may still "upgrade" itself
when I'm not looking. It wasn't a problem before.
In my experience, 100% of the time clearing cookies and cache
and reloading the page fixes the comment problem. I don't use
Opera, though.
Reloading the page usually works for me, although sometimes it
takes multiple reloads. I'm generally using Firefox, Seamonkey
(another Mozilla browser), or Safari.
Greg Goss
2018-09-09 02:06:50 UTC
Doing the Math: Aliens and Advanced Tech in Science Fiction
https://www.tor.com/2018/09/06/doing-the-math-aliens-and-advanced-tech-in-science-fiction/
Again the comments don't cooperate with my Opera browser.
Opera isn't Chrome itself but it may still "upgrade" itself
when I'm not looking. It wasn't a problem before.
SPE2B. See Marooned in Realtime. I remember that Della found one
collapsed (but still occupied by an insane defender) civilzation, or
if there were many in her exploration run.

SPE3: In Niven's known space, the Outsiiders, Puppeteers, the Pak,
and the Grog's are ancient. All the other species are essentially
human-equivalent. The Pak and the Grog each have a non-intelligent
breeder level, with intelligence arriving AFTER breeding. The
Outsiders are vastly different in design from the rest. This theory
has to hand-wave away the Puppeteers. Sigh.

Anyhow, the Trintun designed a galaxy-spanning telepathic command
helmet to "DIE!!!". Designed to milspec in a world that has stasis
boxes, perhaps the perp would emerge every ten thousand years or so
and yell "DIE!!!: at the galaxy once more, and every species that had
developed intelligence vanished. Eventually his stasis generator wore
out or he died, and evolution could resume among all the
not-quite-sentent species such as habilis. We need 4M years of
mind-control peace plus some (for the Pak library history), but that
brings us all into roughly the same epoch.
m***@sky.com
2018-09-07 05:44:35 UTC
Doing the Math: Aliens and Advanced Tech in Science Fiction
https://www.tor.com/2018/09/06/doing-the-math-aliens-and-advanced-tech-in-science-fiction/
I'm currently reading my way through the Expeditionary Force (Skippy) series by Craig Alanson, which I find surprisingly intelligent despite a rather juvenile taste in humour (rather like the main human character). Here there is a mostly departed Elder race which lays down a few ground rules about not breaking the scenery, and a hierarchy of opposing species, with each species tending to fight directly only with its equals but encouraging client species beneath it to wage war on each other in turn. Technological advances tend to come by theft/espionage from superior species, eventually flowing down from the elder races. Humans are very much at the bottom of the pile, but the first book shows a successful theft, aided and abetted by a delinquent AI - Skippy.

(Of course I'm still reading the series, and a large part of the fun is finding out more about the author's universe as the story unfolds).
Quadibloc
2018-09-07 06:05:33 UTC
Doing the Math: Aliens and Advanced Tech in Science Fiction
https://www.tor.com/2018/09/06/doing-the-math-aliens-and-advanced-tech-in-science-fiction/
Of course, Arthur C. Clarke put this issue very well:

...we may expect to meet apes or angels, but never men.