[Space Opera That Doesn't Suck] Revenger by Alastair Reynolds
2017-03-08 15:07:12 UTC
Revenger by Alastair Reynolds

http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/all-the-merry-men-drowned-in-the-sea
My Livejournal at http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll
Stephen Graham
2017-03-08 17:21:43 UTC
Revenger by Alastair Reynolds
http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/all-the-merry-men-drowned-in-the-sea
I suppose we should have expected to get the grim Alastair Reynolds with
a title of Revenger.

It wasn't clear from the review: is the Congregation spread out across
multiple systems or is it contained within the one system? The primary
use of light-sails for propulsion would seem to argue for the latter.

One of the corollaries of light-sail propulsion is that someone could
lay an intercept course for your vessel and there wouldn't be a whole
lot that you could do about it. But your comments imply that the pirate
attack was unexpected.

Thanks for doing this review.
James Nicoll
2017-03-08 18:46:30 UTC
Post by Stephen Graham
Post by James Nicoll
Revenger by Alastair Reynolds
http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/all-the-merry-men-drowned-in-the-sea
I suppose we should have expected to get the grim Alastair Reynolds with
a title of Revenger.
It wasn't clear from the review: is the Congregation spread out across
multiple systems or is it contained within the one system? The primary
use of light-sails for propulsion would seem to argue for the latter.
Just the one system.
Post by Stephen Graham
One of the corollaries of light-sail propulsion is that someone could
lay an intercept course for your vessel and there wouldn't be a whole
lot that you could do about it. But your comments imply that the pirate
attack was unexpected.
Thanks for doing this review.
My pleasure.
My Livejournal at http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll
Moriarty
2017-03-09 03:01:07 UTC
Post by Stephen Graham
Post by James Nicoll
Revenger by Alastair Reynolds
http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/all-the-merry-men-drowned-in-the-sea
I suppose we should have expected to get the grim Alastair Reynolds with
a title of Revenger.
Wait! There's *happy* Reynolds?

-Moriarty
Stephen Graham
Let's not go to far. But I thought House of Suns was not particularly grim.
Default User
2017-04-12 17:06:36 UTC
Revenger by Alastair Reynolds
http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/all-the-merry-men-drowned-in-the-sea
Finally got down to this in the pile. This was one of those cases where I liked the background a lot more than the actual story that painted on it. I would have been happier with more exploration of the "baubles" leading to information on the significance of the "quoins". As it was, that was mostly just infodump at the end.

I did wonder why, after Bosa's explanation of her true purpose, Fura didn't ask why the need for all the brutality in the means. Slaughtering of crews is inefficient pirating. You want a reputation of viciousness when too much resistance is put up, but that if one cooperates then the crew and ship can live to keep plying the system and maybe get plundered another day.

I suppose that in this case, then this story might not have been possible, but then I didn't like this one that much anyway.

Definitely seems room for further books. Then again, I thought so about The Prefect, but nothing seems to be happening there.

Brian
2017-04-14 20:53:58 UTC
Post by Default User
Definitely seems room for further books. Then again, I thought so about The Prefect, but nothing seems to be happening there.
Seems that he's working on a sequel to The Prefect:

http://www.alastairreynolds.com/novels/

Brian