For those who may be interested...
Add Reply
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
2018-08-31 02:52:28 UTC
I've been doing a new series of publicly-accessible posts on my Patreon
titled "A Musical Note" -- taking individual pieces of music, linking to
them, and discussing how they've inspired/affected my writing. The one
for today is on "Launch into the Unknown", from Super Atragon.
https://www.patreon.com/posts/21098835
--
Sea Wasp
/^\
http://seawasp.dreamwidth.org
D B Davis
2018-08-31 03:48:43 UTC
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
I've been doing a new series of publicly-accessible posts on my Patreon
titled "A Musical Note" -- taking individual pieces of music, linking to
them, and discussing how they've inspired/affected my writing. The one
for today is on "Launch into the Unknown", from Super Atragon.
https://www.patreon.com/posts/21098835
My keyboards work as a time machine for me. Songs learned in my youth
can easily take me back to a past performances in my life. All that's
necessary is for me to close my eyes and play a song. My mind's eye can
recall and create an applicable past setting, where the song was
performed. Intense past emotions enable easier trips.
"Für Elise" (Beethoven) is one such song that takes me back. It's
also used in the movie _Timescape_ AKA _Grand Tour: Disaster in Time_,
which is the Hollywood treatment of "Vintage Season" (Kuttner and Moore):

*spoiler space*

https://vimeo.com/287560924

Don
Dorothy J Heydt
2018-08-31 04:09:25 UTC
Post by D B Davis
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
I've been doing a new series of publicly-accessible posts on my Patreon
titled "A Musical Note" -- taking individual pieces of music, linking to
them, and discussing how they've inspired/affected my writing. The one
for today is on "Launch into the Unknown", from Super Atragon.
https://www.patreon.com/posts/21098835
My keyboards work as a time machine for me. Songs learned in my youth
can easily take me back to a past performances in my life. All that's
necessary is for me to close my eyes and play a song. My mind's eye can
recall and create an applicable past setting, where the song was
performed. Intense past emotions enable easier trips.
"FÃŒr Elise" (Beethoven) is one such song that takes me back. It's
also used in the movie _Timescape_ AKA _Grand Tour: Disaster in Time_,
*spoiler space*
https://vimeo.com/287560924
✍
I got "Your search did not match any documents."
2018-08-31 13:03:29 UTC
Post by D B Davis
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
I've been doing a new series of publicly-accessible posts on my Patreon
titled "A Musical Note" -- taking individual pieces of music, linking to
them, and discussing how they've inspired/affected my writing. The one
for today is on "Launch into the Unknown", from Super Atragon.
https://www.patreon.com/posts/21098835
My keyboards work as a time machine for me. Songs learned in my youth
can easily take me back to a past performances in my life. All that's
necessary is for me to close my eyes and play a song. My mind's eye can
recall and create an applicable past setting, where the song was
performed. Intense past emotions enable easier trips.
"F??r Elise" (Beethoven) is one such song that takes me back. It's
also used in the movie _Timescape_ AKA _Grand Tour: Disaster in Time_,
*spoiler space*
^L
https://vimeo.com/287560924
???
I got "Your search did not match any documents."
Great catch! It ought to work now. One video attribute needed to be
"public," but was set to "private."

Don
Dorothy J Heydt
2018-08-31 16:42:48 UTC
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by D B Davis
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
[...]
Thank you,
Glad to be of use.
2018-08-31 13:59:51 UTC
Post by D B Davis
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
[...]

Addendum:

My musical memories may be populated with "K-objects." It's my
beginner's hunch that K-objects are to cognitology [1] what Alice and
Bob [2] are to cryptology.
In "Her Smoke Rose Up Forever" (Tiptree) [3] Sheldon, who was a
research psychologist at one point, warns her readers about K-objects:

“Whatever you love, forever. Be careful what you love.” She
squints wickedly. “Only with you I think it’d be whatever you
were maddest at—no, that’s a horrible thought. Love has to be
the most intense.”

Note.

1. "Robust Inference with Simple Cognitive Models" (Brighton)
https://www.aaai.org/Papers/Symposia/Spring/2006/SS-06-02/SS06-02-006.pdf

Modeling Inductive Inference

The inductive task to be explored here — the paired comparison
task — is the problem of choosing which of two alternatives ranks
higher on some criterion. For example, choosing which of two
houses is likely to be more expensive. The paired comparison task,
therefore, is an instance of the widely studied problem of learning
from labeled examples.
The two alternatives being considered will be referred to
as objects. Objects are assumed to have m binary cues, where the
cue value 1 indicates the presence of some property represented
by the cue, and 0 represents the absence of that property. An
environment refers to a set of objects and their associated
criterion values. For example, a set of houses and their associated
prices. In the following experiments, the environment is used to
generate these experiences. So rather than representing individual
learning experiences, the environment represents an ecological
structure which us used to generate the learning experiences. In
this sense, the environment has the form a regression problem, but
the learning experiences themselves are labeled examples and
therefore pose a categorization problem.
To generate experiences from the environment a sample of k
objects are drawn at random from the environment. These objects
are then used to form pairs of objects, and these pairs represent
the specific training experiences. Given these k objects k(k − 1)
distinct pairs are generated (objects are not compared with
themselves). This set of comparisons is termed the training set.
In the following experiments, the remaining objects in the
environment will often be used to generate a set of experiences
used for testing the learner.

2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_and_Bob

3. http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/tiptree_01_18_reprint/

“He has this theory, about K-objects. Whatever thing you feel
most intense about, part of you lives on—Pete, what’s wrong?”

“It’s serious-s-s,” she protests, snickering, and is
mercurially almost serious too. “I mean, I’m an atheist, Pete,
I don’t believe there’s anything afterward, but this theory . . . ”
And she rattles on about K-objects and the pool of time, intense
energic structures of the mind undying—sweet beddable girl in the
springtime who has taught him unclaiming love. His friend.
Liberated him.

He stretches luxuriously, relishes a coleslaw belch. Free male
beside a willing woman. No problems. What is it man in woman
doth require? The lineaments of gratified desire. The radiance
of her. He has gratified her. Will gratify her again . . .

“It’s kind of spooky, though.” She flings the box at the river
with tremendous effort, it flies twenty feet. “Damn! But think
of parts of yourself whirling around forever sticking to whatever
you loved!” She settles against the willow, watching the box
float away. “I wonder if part of me is going to spend eternity
hanging around a dumb cat. I loved that old cat. Henry. He died,
though.”

The ghost of a twelve-gauge fires soundlessly across his mind, a
mare whickers. He sneezes and rolls over onto her lap with his
nose in her warm scented thighs. She peers dreamily down at him
over her breasts, is almost beautiful.