YASID: current day human in a library run by advanced humans
Add Reply
Chris Duck
2017-04-23 14:36:57 UTC
I *think* this is a Keith Laumer story, but I may be wrong about that.

The story line is that a modern (20th century?) man somehow finds himself in a "library" run by advanced creatures that may look human but probably
aren't. He is put through a series of tests as a specimen. Another specimen that he gets mixed up with is a human woman. At one point they get put
into each others' bodies, at which point the woman (in his body) is amazed at his body's sex drive and becomes very sexually aggressive with him (in
her body).

Obviously I'd like the name of the story, and the author if it isn't Laumer; I can find it once I have that information.

Thanks.
a***@yahoo.com
I don't suppose a librarian is shushing them while this happens?
Chris Duck
They're not actually in the library when that happens. They have been sent on a "quest" of some sort.
Robert Carnegie
2017-04-23 17:50:25 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Post by Chris Duck
I *think* this is a Keith Laumer story, but I may be wrong about that.
The story line is that a modern (20th century?) man somehow finds himself in a "library" run by advanced creatures that may look human but probably
aren't. He is put through a series of tests as a specimen. Another specimen that he gets mixed up with is a human woman. At one point they get put
into each others' bodies, at which point the woman (in his body) is amazed at his body's sex drive and becomes very sexually aggressive with him (in
her body).
I don't suppose a librarian is shushing them while this happens?
Reminds me of one of the late British comedian
Victoria Wood's joke about a train journey - quoted:
<http://www.azquotes.com/author/15917-Victoria_Wood>

Not the one about the fruit pie.

The quotes aren't all jokes, and those which are
aren't all the best ones. She's better to watch or
listen to.
Chris Buckley
2017-04-23 15:14:02 UTC
Post by Chris Duck
I *think* this is a Keith Laumer story, but I may be wrong about that.
The story line is that a modern (20th century?) man somehow finds himself in a "library" run by advanced creatures that may look human but probably
aren't. He is put through a series of tests as a specimen. Another specimen that he gets mixed up with is a human woman. At one point they get put
into each others' bodies, at which point the woman (in his body) is amazed at his body's sex drive and becomes very sexually aggressive with him (in
her body).
Obviously I'd like the name of the story, and the author if it isn't Laumer; I can find it once I have that information.
That sounds much more like Jack Chalker than Keith Laumer. Chalker had
several series of "body-transfer" stories and novels, often into the other
gender.

Chris
Chris Duck
2017-04-23 16:18:32 UTC
Post by Chris Buckley
Post by Chris Duck
I *think* this is a Keith Laumer story, but I may be wrong about that.
The story line is that a modern (20th century?) man somehow finds himself in a "library" run by advanced creatures that may look human but probably
aren't. He is put through a series of tests as a specimen. Another specimen that he gets mixed up with is a human woman. At one point they get put
into each others' bodies, at which point the woman (in his body) is amazed at his body's sex drive and becomes very sexually aggressive with him (in
her body).
Obviously I'd like the name of the story, and the author if it isn't Laumer; I can find it once I have that information.
That sounds much more like Jack Chalker than Keith Laumer. Chalker had
several series of "body-transfer" stories and novels, often into the other
gender.
I don't recall ever reading any Jack Chalker books, so I don't think so.

Anyway, the body switching was just one in a long series of silly adventures, although the overall story was pretty good.
David DeLaney
2017-04-27 20:42:00 UTC
Post by Chris Duck
Post by Chris Buckley
That sounds much more like Jack Chalker than Keith Laumer. Chalker had
several series of "body-transfer" stories and novels, often into the other
gender.
I don't recall ever reading any Jack Chalker books, so I don't think so.
Anyway, the body switching was just one in a long series of silly adventures,
although the overall story was pretty good.
... which makes _me_ think it might be one of the slew of books Piers Anthony
co-wrote with someone, maybe?

Dave, also, Jack Chalker's body-switches were usually pretty permament
gatekeeper.vic.com/~dbd - net.legends FAQ & Magic / I WUV you in all CAPS! --K.
David Mitchell
IIRC in his "Kirlian Quest" series body-switching was SOP.
Chris Duck