YASID: Short, late 60s-70s anthology, Alien "monster" POV, hiding from persecuting humans, self dialogue punctuated with emotional outbursts
b***@gmail.com
2018-07-10 00:58:49 UTC
Talking with my grandkids the other day about the STTNG episode, "Darmok." Brought this old story to mind as another example of a writer trying to put across the idea of an alien intelligence actually thinking in different terms than humans. Wanted to share with them, but it didn't stand out in a quick scan of my anthologies from that era. Don't really have time to read them all right now, so I'm hoping someone will recognize it & point me in the right direction.

I don't remember much about the plot, if in fact there was one. Just that the alien was hiding from the humans, felt persecuted by them. Seem to recall it was in a cave, and a lot of separation anxiety. Not sure if that was caused by the humans killing its fellows or it was just homesick. The self dialog was punctuated by bursts of emotion and awareness of feeling, like *PAIN* *COLD*, that sort of thing. Kind of a stream of weird consciousness thing interspersing awareness, recent memories, hopes, judgments that slowly patched together a tale leading to its current predicament.

Hope someone can help!
Lynn McGuire
2018-07-11 19:58:23 UTC
On 7/9/2018 7:58 PM, ***@gmail.com wrote:
> Talking with my grandkids the other day about the STTNG episode, "Darmok." Brought this old story to mind as another example of a writer trying to put across the idea of an alien intelligence actually thinking in different terms than humans. Wanted to share with them, but it didn't stand out in a quick scan of my anthologies from that era. Don't really have time to read them all right now, so I'm hoping someone will recognize it & point me in the right direction.
>
> I don't remember much about the plot, if in fact there was one. Just that the alien was hiding from the humans, felt persecuted by them. Seem to recall it was in a cave, and a lot of separation anxiety. Not sure if that was caused by the humans killing its fellows or it was just homesick. The self dialog was punctuated by bursts of emotion and awareness of feeling, like *PAIN* *COLD*, that sort of thing. Kind of a stream of weird consciousness thing interspersing awareness, recent memories, hopes, judgments that slowly patched together a tale leading to its current predicament.
>
> Hope someone can help!

Somewhat sounds like Weber's _The Apocalypse Troll_. But it is not.
https://www.amazon.com/Apocalypse-Troll-David-Weber/dp/0671578456/

In fact, the book could be Haldeman's _Camouflage_.
https://www.amazon.com/Camouflage-Joe-Haldeman/dp/0441012523/

Lynn
m***@gmail.com
2018-07-22 17:50:50 UTC
On Tuesday, July 10, 2018 at 1:58:52 AM UTC+1, ***@gmail.com wrote:
> Talking with my grandkids the other day about the STTNG episode, "Darmok." Brought this old story to mind as another example of a writer trying to put across the idea of an alien intelligence actually thinking in different terms than humans. Wanted to share with them, but it didn't stand out in a quick scan of my anthologies from that era. Don't really have time to read them all right now, so I'm hoping someone will recognize it & point me in the right direction.
>
> I don't remember much about the plot, if in fact there was one. Just that the alien was hiding from the humans, felt persecuted by them. Seem to recall it was in a cave, and a lot of separation anxiety. Not sure if that was caused by the humans killing its fellows or it was just homesick. The self dialog was punctuated by bursts of emotion and awareness of feeling, like *PAIN* *COLD*, that sort of thing. Kind of a stream of weird consciousness thing interspersing awareness, recent memories, hopes, judgments that slowly patched together a tale leading to its current predicament.
>
> Hope someone can help!

Was it a novel or a short story?

If the latter it sounds a bit like Poul Anderson's The Last Monster (aka Terminal Quest).

Mike Stone, Peterborough, England.

Always drink upriver from the herd.