[A Year of Waterloo Region Speculative Fiction] Far-Seer (Quintaglio Ascension Trilogy, book 1) by Robert J. Sawyer
2017-05-05 12:20:33 UTC
Far-Seer (Quintaglio Ascension Trilogy, book 1) by Robert J. Sawyer

http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/controlled-by-the-pull-of-another
My Livejournal at http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll
2017-05-05 18:29:05 UTC
Far-Seer (Quintaglio Ascension Trilogy, book 1) by Robert J. Sawyer
http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/controlled-by-the-pull-of-another
Thank you. This is very interesting.

The hero is called both Afsan and Asfan,
repeatedly.

Is this a story point? A shout-out to
Galileo Galilei?

(Or to A SF Fan...)

There's this book called The Bible in which
people change their name significantly.
Abram, Abraham. Saul, Paul. It doesn't help
you to follow the action.
James Nicoll
2017-05-05 19:12:45 UTC
Far-Seer (Quintaglio Ascension Trilogy, book 1) by Robert J. Sawyer
http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/controlled-by-the-pull-of-another
Thank you. This is very interesting.
The hero is called both Afsan and Asfan,
repeatedly.
Is this a story point? A shout-out to
Galileo Galilei?
(Or to A SF Fan...)
No, braino. It's NASFA backwards.
My Livejournal at http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll
2017-05-05 20:00:11 UTC
Far-Seer (Quintaglio Ascension Trilogy, book 1) by Robert J. Sawyer
http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/controlled-by-the-pull-of-another
Thank you. This is very interesting.
The hero is called both Afsan and Asfan,
repeatedly.
Is this a story point? A shout-out to
Galileo Galilei?
(Or to A SF Fan...)
No, braino. It's NASFA backwards.
And that is - oh, in the author's biography.

Once I noticed,
http://sfwriter.com/2010/01/calling-all-nasfa-members.html
in all the other things that Google says NASFA
(and NAFSA) stand for.
Greg Goss
2017-05-07 18:38:54 UTC
There's this book called The Bible in which
people change their name significantly.
Abram, Abraham. Saul, Paul. It doesn't help
you to follow the action.
l was reading an article about a bones box in the mideast. The
transliteration of label about the guy (originally) inside was "yacov"
- obviously a variant of Jacob. But the article was about a James.
I'd never seen elsewhere that James is a variant of Jacob.