[A Bunch of Bujolds] Barrayar (Cordelia Vorkosigan, book 2) by Lois McMaster Bujold
2018-02-16 15:01:43 UTC
Barrayar (Cordelia Vorkosigan, book 2) by Lois McMaster Bujold

http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/something-money-cant-buy
2018-02-16 15:29:28 UTC
Barrayar (Cordelia Vorkosigan, book 2) by Lois McMaster Bujold
http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/something-money-cant-buy
Well, this one sounds like you actually read it, at least.

Default User
2018-02-16 18:39:54 UTC
Barrayar (Cordelia Vorkosigan, book 2) by Lois McMaster Bujold
http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/something-money-cant-buy
"He lives behind him a . . ."

I think you meant "leaves behind" there.

Brian
Robert Carnegie
2018-02-16 20:34:02 UTC
Post by Default User
Post by James Nicoll
Barrayar (Cordelia Vorkosigan, book 2) by Lois McMaster Bujold
http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/something-money-cant-buy
"He lives behind him a . . ."
I think you meant "leaves behind" there.
In fact, look - this one needs complete proof-reading.

Is this a social experiment, or...?
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
2018-02-16 22:48:04 UTC
Post by Default User
Post by James Nicoll
Barrayar (Cordelia Vorkosigan, book 2) by Lois McMaster Bujold
http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/something-money-cant-buy
"He lives behind him a . . ."
I think you meant "leaves behind" there.
In fact, look - this one needs complete proof-reading.
Is this a social experiment, or...?
Maybe James can only stand to read really good books while drunk. (As
opposed to Lynn, who can't stand good fiction under any circumstances
at all.)

2018-02-16 19:34:29 UTC
Barrayar (Cordelia Vorkosigan, book 2) by Lois McMaster Bujold
http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/something-money-cant-buy
It's worth bearing in mind that Beta is the Federation and Barrayar is
the Klingons. Also it's not so much that Cordelia was unaware of Betan
therapeutic practices as that they were bending the hell out of the
relevant laws in a spasm of wartime mentality.
m***@sky.com
2018-02-17 06:29:37 UTC
Barrayar (Cordelia Vorkosigan, book 2) by Lois McMaster Bujold
http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/something-money-cant-buy
It's worth bearing in mind that Beta is the Federation and Barrayar is
the Klingons. Also it's not so much that Cordelia was unaware of Betan
therapeutic practices as that they were bending the hell out of the
relevant laws in a spasm of wartime mentality.
I think we should start by dealing with any fictional universe on its own terms as a self-consistent world, at least until it is clear that it can only be understood as a pale copy of e.g. Star Trek. I think the Vorkosiverse passes this test with flying colours. To the extent that Beta colony is inspired by anything, from my admittedly far away point of view I have always viewed it as an extrapolation of west coast American liberalism/progressivism. I think Star Trek is too much of a moving target - the clearest view of civilian Star Trek life is the TNG "communism works!" line, which I can't believe is what Roddenberry originally had in mind.

Most of what comes to mind about any Beta Colony underclass comes from books other than "Barrayar" - as the title would suggest. In "The Warrior's Apprentice" when Jesek is living off goldfish he is told

"all you have to do is report to a Shelter and get Carded, and you can have all the protein slices you want - any flavor, clean and fresh from the vats. Nobody has to eat a dead animal on this planet, really"

I'm pretty sure that somewhere they say that the equivalent of internet access is a human right on Beta Colony - so I guess if I could move to Beta Colony I could sustain myself indefinitely living on the free food, reading their equivalent of Project Gutenberg, and posting to rec.arts.sf.written. Of course, if I became a public nuisance I might also be in Beta Colony therapy indefinitely - as referred to in Shards of Honor, I think, where Cordelia says if she was a public defender all of her clients would be in therapy indefinitely.
Michael R N Dolbear
2018-02-18 00:08:09 UTC
"James Nicoll" wrote in message news:p66ron$ak9$***@reader2.panix.com...

Barrayar (Cordelia Vorkosigan, book 2) by Lois McMaster Bujold

http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/something-money-cant-buy

Barrayar is available here (Amazon). This edition does not seem to be
available from Chapters-Indigo.
==

Your link is to an e-book (author's own publication via Spectrum Literary
Agency)

https://www.amazon.com/Barrayar-Vorkosigan-Saga-McMaster-Bujold-ebook/dp/B005BFIH7M/

What are you trying to say?

Does Chapters-Indigo have e-books?
Mike D
James Nicoll
2018-02-18 01:30:20 UTC
Barrayar (Cordelia Vorkosigan, book 2) by Lois McMaster Bujold
http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/something-money-cant-buy
Barrayar is available here (Amazon). This edition does not seem to be
available from Chapters-Indigo.
==
Your link is to an e-book (author's own publication via Spectrum Literary
Agency)
https://www.amazon.com/Barrayar-Vorkosigan-Saga-McMaster-Bujold-ebook/dp/B005BFIH7M/
What are you trying to say?
Does Chapters-Indigo have e-books?
Yes, but not every ebook sold through Amazon is sold through Chapters. Some-
times Amazon has an exclusive and sometimes it just seems like Chapters
dropped the ball.

(I didn't check the Kobo store because their search engine is an infuriating
piece of crap)
Michael R N Dolbear
2018-02-18 23:39:52 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
(I didn't check the Kobo store because their search engine is an
infuriating piece of crap)
It appears from a quick look that all Chapters-Indigo e-books are Kobo

This Barryar e-edition is not exclusive to Amazon, but like LMB's Penric
books is also available from Apple and Barnes & Noble. but nowhere else.
Mike D
James Nicoll
2018-02-19 05:59:23 UTC
Post by Michael R N Dolbear
It appears from a quick look that all Chapters-Indigo e-books are Kobo
Yes but Kobo has their own store, whose primary design concept seems
to be to inspire people to track down and beat Kobo's site's programmers.
larry
2018-02-20 22:58:31 UTC
Post by Michael R N Dolbear
It appears from a quick look that all Chapters-Indigo e-books are Kobo
Yes but Kobo has their own store, whose primary design concept seems
to be to inspire people to track down and beat Kobo's site's programmers.
I would mention that the hardcover edition of Cryoburn has
a CD of (among other things,) ebook copies of all the
previous books.
--
After investigation, believe that which you have yourselves
tested and found reasonable, and which is for your good
Gautama.
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
2018-02-20 23:40:03 UTC
Post by larry
Post by James Nicoll
Post by Michael R N Dolbear
It appears from a quick look that all Chapters-Indigo e-books
are Kobo
Yes but Kobo has their own store, whose primary design concept
seems to be to inspire people to track down and beat Kobo's
site's programmers.
I would mention that the hardcover edition of Cryoburn has
a CD of (among other things,) ebook copies of all the
previous books.
(And permission printed on the CD to redistribute for non-commercial
purposes, though Bujold regrets the deal.)

Michael R N Dolbear
2018-02-21 01:10:57 UTC
Post by Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
Post by larry
I would mention that the hardcover edition of Cryoburn has
a CD of (among other things,) ebook copies of all the previous books.
(And permission printed on the CD to redistribute for non-commercial
purposes, though Bujold regrets the deal.)

All the previous books except_Memory_ so providing LMB with an easy estimate
of the deal's effect.

The CD is hosted on the web at a Polish site
Mike D
Greg Goss
2018-02-21 02:12:58 UTC
Post by larry
Post by James Nicoll
Post by Michael R N Dolbear
It appears from a quick look that all Chapters-Indigo e-books are Kobo
Yes but Kobo has their own store, whose primary design concept seems
to be to inspire people to track down and beat Kobo's site's programmers.
I would mention that the hardcover edition of Cryoburn has
a CD of (among other things,) ebook copies of all the
previous books.
Baen does (used to?) do that with all of their hardcover first
editions.
Michael R N Dolbear
2018-02-22 02:11:26 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by larry
I would mention that the hardcover edition of Cryoburn has
a CD of (among other things,) ebook copies of all the previous books.
Baen does (used to?) do that with all of their hardcover first
editions.

Last hcs with a CD were in 2010
Mike D
Steve Coltrin
2018-02-24 20:50:42 UTC
begin fnord
Post by larry
I would mention that the hardcover edition of Cryoburn has
a CD of (among other things,) ebook copies of all the
previous books.
Almost all - they forgot to put _Memory_ on it. Isn't it ironic?
--
Steve Coltrin ***@omcl.org Google Groups killfiled here
"A group known as the League of Human Dignity helped arrange for Deuel
- Associated Press
Greg Goss
2018-02-19 06:29:45 UTC
Barrayar (Cordelia Vorkosigan, book 2) by Lois McMaster Bujold
http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/something-money-cant-buy
Barrayar is available here (Amazon). This edition does not seem to be
available from Chapters-Indigo.
==
Your link is to an e-book (author's own publication via Spectrum Literary
Agency)
https://www.amazon.com/Barrayar-Vorkosigan-Saga-McMaster-Bujold-ebook/dp/B005BFIH7M/
What are you trying to say?
Does Chapters-Indigo have e-books?
Chapters owns the Kobo franchise. I buy all my books through Kobo,
unless they're available on Baen or Gutenberg.

I know how to transfer Kobo books to my desired reading platform.
I've never taken the time to learn the equivalent steps in Kindle.