[Because My Tears Are Delicious To You] In the Ocean of Night (Galactic Centre, book 1) by Gregory Benford
2017-07-09 13:51:33 UTC
In the Ocean of Night (Galactic Centre, book 1) by Gregory Benford

http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/by-the-light-of-that-ship-in-the-sky
My Livejournal at http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll
Carl Fink
2017-07-09 23:45:21 UTC
In the Ocean of Night (Galactic Centre, book 1) by Gregory Benford
http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/by-the-light-of-that-ship-in-the-sky
I found all the books in this Benford sequence disappointing. They had good
elements, but just did not gel for me.
--
Carl Fink ***@nitpicking.com

Stupid mistakes you can correct!
Robert Bannister
2017-07-10 01:36:03 UTC
Post by Carl Fink
Post by James Nicoll
In the Ocean of Night (Galactic Centre, book 1) by Gregory Benford
http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/by-the-light-of-that-ship-in-the-sky
I found all the books in this Benford sequence disappointing. They had good
elements, but just did not gel for me.
Likewise.
--
Robert B. born England a long time ago;
Western Australia since 1972
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2017-07-10 10:35:53 UTC
In the Ocean of Night (Galactic Centre, book 1) by Gregory Benford
http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/by-the-light-of-that-ship-in-the-sky
This - and most of the series - are on my shelves but I read them in the
mid 80s and then as they were coming out and haven't again since. The
heady days of the Killer B's! Banks, Bear, Benford, Brin, Baxter all
doing great things. Or at least, great in 25-year retrospect.

Interested to see that my faded memories more or less matched yours,
almost all the other points you mentioned were a surprise to me. I don't
even recall whether I raised an eyebrow at the same parts you did... and
I've only got little point memories of scenes from the other books. At
some point I'll have a series re-read.

Also interesting to see Benford is now running a research company for
anti-agathics now, which is keeping him too busy to write.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
I love VoIP. You don't get people phoning up to complain that the
network is down. -- Peter Corlett, ASR
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2017-07-10 10:50:26 UTC
On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 11:35:53 +0100, Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
the Killer B's! Banks, Bear, Benford, Brin, Baxter
Now, I'm pretty sure the killer B's were actually only three of those
and I've added two myself. But which?

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
As a sysadmin, I suppose you're familiar with something called a
'worst-case scenario'?
Yah. Isn't that what we call "having a good day for a change"?
The Last Doctor
2017-07-10 11:49:42 UTC
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
the Killer B's! Banks, Bear, Benford, Brin, Baxter
Now, I'm pretty sure the killer B's were actually only three of those
and I've added two myself. But which?
Cheers - Jaimie
Bear, Benford and Brin. Banks and Baxter were British and had a different
relationship with the American sf community, I reckon.
James Nicoll
2017-07-10 14:09:40 UTC
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
the Killer B's! Banks, Bear, Benford, Brin, Baxter
Now, I'm pretty sure the killer B's were actually only three of those
and I've added two myself. But which?
Americans in the 1980s didn't know Banks or Baxter. Partly for
cultural reasons but also because Banks' first SF novel was in
1987 while Baxter's was not until 1991.
My Livejournal at http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2017-07-10 16:40:57 UTC
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
the Killer B's! Banks, Bear, Benford, Brin, Baxter
Now, I'm pretty sure the killer B's were actually only three of those
and I've added two myself. But which?
Americans in the 1980s didn't know Banks or Baxter.
Thanks. I was suspecting Brin and Baxter of being the ones I'd added.
Post by James Nicoll
Partly for
cultural reasons but also because Banks' first SF novel was in
1987 while Baxter's was not until 1991.
1991! Much later than I thought, he seemed like he'd been part of the
scenery for ages when I found his books about the mid 90s. Possibly due
to the aura of depressing world-weariness most of his have. I do like
the background universe building even though.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"I did not attend his funeral, but I wrote a nice letter saying
I approved of it." - Mark Twain
Ahasuerus
2017-07-10 13:21:20 UTC
On Monday, July 10, 2017 at 6:35:59 AM UTC-4, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
[snip]
_The Berlin Project_ (http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?2168599)
came out 2 months ago.
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2017-07-10 15:55:28 UTC
On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 06:21:20 -0700 (PDT), Ahasuerus
Post by Ahasuerus
[snip]
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Also interesting to see Benford is now running a research company for
anti-agathics now, which is keeping him too busy to write.
_The Berlin Project_ (http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?2168599)
came out 2 months ago.
Oh, nice. He is doing a terrible job at keeping his website (and the
company website for that matter) up to date.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"I have an asteroid named after me. Isaac Asimov's got one too.
It's smaller and more eccentric." -- Arthur C. Clarke
James Nicoll
2017-07-10 16:00:17 UTC
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 06:21:20 -0700 (PDT), Ahasuerus
Post by Ahasuerus
[snip]
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Also interesting to see Benford is now running a research company for
anti-agathics now, which is keeping him too busy to write.
_The Berlin Project_ (http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?2168599)
came out 2 months ago.
Oh, nice. He is doing a terrible job at keeping his website (and the
company website for that matter) up to date.
A not uncommon problem.
My Livejournal at http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll
2017-07-10 20:08:22 UTC
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 06:21:20 -0700 (PDT), Ahasuerus
Post by Ahasuerus
[snip]
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Also interesting to see Benford is now running a research company for
anti-agathics now, which is keeping him too busy to write.
_The Berlin Project_ (http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?2168599)
came out 2 months ago.
Oh, nice. He is doing a terrible job at keeping his website (and the
company website for that matter) up to date.
A not uncommon problem.
One example that irks me is the Cordwainer Smith Rediscovery Award, whose
site is five years out of date last I checked.
My Livejournal at http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll
2017-07-10 21:11:27 UTC
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 06:21:20 -0700 (PDT), Ahasuerus
Post by Ahasuerus
[snip]
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Also interesting to see Benford is now running a research company for
anti-agathics now, which is keeping him too busy to write.
_The Berlin Project_ (http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?2168599)
came out 2 months ago.
Oh, nice. He is doing a terrible job at keeping his website (and the
company website for that matter) up to date.
A not uncommon problem.
One example that irks me is the Cordwainer Smith Rediscovery Award, whose
site is five years out of date last I checked.
Sounds like you should send an email to Admin@ the domain name that no
one there probably knows about. :)
Robert Bannister
2017-07-11 01:54:45 UTC
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by James Nicoll
In the Ocean of Night (Galactic Centre, book 1) by Gregory Benford
http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/by-the-light-of-that-ship-in-the-sky
This - and most of the series - are on my shelves but I read them in the
mid 80s and then as they were coming out and haven't again since. The
heady days of the Killer B's! Banks, Bear, Benford, Brin, Baxter all
doing great things. Or at least, great in 25-year retrospect.
B was a great letter to start with in the library. I liked Blish too.
Just looked him up and was surprised to find he was American. I always
imagined him as English, but it seems he only spent the last seven years
of his life in England.
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Interested to see that my faded memories more or less matched yours,
almost all the other points you mentioned were a surprise to me. I don't
even recall whether I raised an eyebrow at the same parts you did... and
I've only got little point memories of scenes from the other books. At
some point I'll have a series re-read.
Also interesting to see Benford is now running a research company for
anti-agathics now, which is keeping him too busy to write.
Strange word. Greek "agathos" means “good”, so you would expect
anti-agathic drugs to be harmful.
Default User
2017-07-11 15:09:17 UTC
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Also interesting to see Benford is now running a research company for
anti-agathics now, which is keeping him too busy to write.
Strange word. Greek "agathos" means “good”, so you would expect
anti-agathic drugs to be harmful.
In an interesting synchronicity, search for "anti-agathic" has results referring to Blish's "cities in flight" stories.

Brian
Peter Trei
2017-07-11 15:31:48 UTC
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Also interesting to see Benford is now running a research company for
anti-agathics now, which is keeping him too busy to write.
Strange word. Greek "agathos" means “good”, so you would expect
anti-agathic drugs to be harmful.
In an interesting synchronicity, search for "anti-agathic" has results referring to Blish's "cities in flight" stories.
Weird. I knew of Blish's definition 'anti-agathic' == 'anti-aging', but
never tried finding the root. I can't find it. Plentry of references to
'anti-agathics', but all seem to be pulling from Blish.

Well since it's only etymology is some kind of confusion of agony and thanatos there's a reason for that.
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2017-07-13 20:36:18 UTC
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Also interesting to see Benford is now running a research company for
anti-agathics now, which is keeping him too busy to write.
Strange word. Greek "agathos" means “good”, so you would expect
anti-agathic drugs to be harmful.
In an interesting synchronicity, search for "anti-agathic" has results referring to Blish's "cities in flight" stories.
To be fair, mention of Blish is probably what brought the term
"anti-agathic" to my mind (and post), Benford doesn't use that on the
company website.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English
is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion,
and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary." -- James Nicoll, rasfw
2017-07-13 21:47:45 UTC
Post by Default User
In an interesting synchronicity, search for "anti-agathic" has results referring to Blish's "cities in flight" stories.
To be fair, mention of Blish is probably what brought the term
"anti-agathic" to my mind (and post), Benford doesn't use that on the
company website.
The circle completes.

Brian