"7 Eleven"
2017-04-18 16:39:44 UTC
"7 Eleven"
https://xkcd.com/1825/

Heh.

2017-04-18 17:53:07 UTC
"7 Eleven"
https://xkcd.com/1825/
Heh.
Oh yeah. That was one of the took-a-few-milliseconds-to-twig
ones.

Comparable to the evening our daughter and son-in-law took us out
to dinner and she said, "Well, I just saw a doctor. I have a
conspecific endoparasite."

/enough milliseconds for me to blink

"You're pregnant."

THEN Hal's jaw dropped. He never studied much biology.

(The conspecific exoparasite is now nine years old.)
2017-04-18 18:52:22 UTC
"7 Eleven"
https://xkcd.com/1825/
Heh.
Oh yeah. That was one of the took-a-few-milliseconds-to-twig
ones.
'7-11' was originally the hours the store was open. Most seem to be
24 hour now.
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Comparable to the evening our daughter and son-in-law took us out
to dinner and she said, "Well, I just saw a doctor. I have a
conspecific endoparasite."
/enough milliseconds for me to blink
"You're pregnant."
THEN Hal's jaw dropped. He never studied much biology.
(The conspecific exoparasite is now nine years old.)
lol!

pt
Default User
2017-04-19 18:12:24 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
"7 Eleven"
https://xkcd.com/1825/
Heh.
Oh yeah. That was one of the took-a-few-milliseconds-to-twig
ones.
'7-11' was originally the hours the store was open. Most seem to be
24 hour now.
There's an old Steven Wright joke. He goes to the 7-11, finds the clerk locking up. He says, "Hey the sign says open 24 hours" The clerk replies, "Not in a row!"

Brian
Kevrob
2017-04-21 16:01:40 UTC
Post by Default User
Post by Peter Trei
"7 Eleven"
https://xkcd.com/1825/
Heh.
Oh yeah. That was one of the took-a-few-milliseconds-to-twig
ones.
'7-11' was originally the hours the store was open. Most seem to be
24 hour now.
There's an old Steven Wright joke. He goes to the 7-11, finds the clerk locking up. He says, "Hey the sign says open 24 hours" The clerk replies, "Not in a row!"
I was a fan of the early 80s sitcom "Square Pegs." When his band was
hired to play a supermarket store opening, "Johnny Slash," aka
John Ulasewicz [Merrit Buttrick]* dubbed the outfit "Open 24 Hours."

In a later episode it became "Open 48 Hours."

And just for fun, some DEVO!

http://www.sf-encyclopedia.com/entry/devo

... and the Waitresses!

Kevin R

*ObSF-film: David Marcus in ST:Wrath of Khan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merritt_Butrick
Lynn McGuire
2017-04-19 17:13:12 UTC
"7 Eleven"
https://xkcd.com/1825/
Heh.
Oh yeah. That was one of the took-a-few-milliseconds-to-twig
ones.
Comparable to the evening our daughter and son-in-law took us out
to dinner and she said, "Well, I just saw a doctor. I have a
conspecific endoparasite."
/enough milliseconds for me to blink
"You're pregnant."
THEN Hal's jaw dropped. He never studied much biology.
(The conspecific exoparasite is now nine years old.)
I had to go lookup the length of a day on Mars. For some reason, I
thought it was an Earth week. I was wrong. And there is:
http://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/1825

2017-04-21 13:26:03 UTC
It turns out, though, that there was a mistake in the cartoon. Actually, the 7-Eleven would be closed for 39 minutes, not 37.

For the same reason that the sign didn't say "Open 23 hours and 56 minutes".
Quadibloc
2017-04-21 16:48:31 UTC
I had to go lookup the length of a day on Mars. For some reason, I
http://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/1825
And, not surprisingly, they already noted the mistake - 37 minutes instead of 39 -
that I mentioned.

John Savard

Gene Wirchenko
2017-04-19 05:33:48 UTC
On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 11:39:44 -0500, Lynn McGuire
Post by Lynn McGuire
"7 Eleven"
https://xkcd.com/1825/
Heh.