Crosstime Traffic by Harry Turtledove
2018-03-24 07:59:07 UTC
What amazes me about Crosstime Traffic is how dumb the Crosstimers can
be. In Curious Notions they go into business selling electronics that
are better than the best stuff the world has, with an obviously alien
aesthetic. And in that world they're actually worried that the locals
might be just advanced enough that they might be able to invent paratime
travel so shouldn't they be particularly careful? And in
Valley-Westside War they actually wrote something on the delivery pad to
indicate who they were. The contrast with the competence with which
they were operating in Gunpowder Empire is startling.
Robert Woodward
2018-03-24 17:17:01 UTC
In article <p950gc$kqv$***@gioia.aioe.org>,
David Johnston <***@yahoo.com> wrote:

> What amazes me about Crosstime Traffic is how dumb the Crosstimers can
> be. In Curious Notions they go into business selling electronics that
> are better than the best stuff the world has, with an obviously alien
> aesthetic. And in that world they're actually worried that the locals
> might be just advanced enough that they might be able to invent paratime
> travel so shouldn't they be particularly careful? And in
> Valley-Westside War they actually wrote something on the delivery pad to
> indicate who they were. The contrast with the competence with which
> they were operating in Gunpowder Empire is startling.

Competence in _Gunpowder Empire_? The company's business case is messed
up. The people buying grain should not the people selling goods. The
combination just causes all sorts of problems (which show up in _Curious
Notions_ as well).