Kindle on iPad
Default User
2017-06-15 22:08:57 UTC
I got a free iPad mini, which I am using as an ereader. I have successfully borrowed ebooks from the library (Overdrive). I'm also looking at getting books from Amazon.

There's a free Kindle app and all. Anybody used that? If you look at ebooks on Amazon logged in through a web browser, the only purchase option is Kindle Cloud. Does the app allow you to log into Amazon and purchase books for download directly to the device? My wireless connectivity is limited at this time, so I haven't been able to experiment much.

Brian
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2017-06-15 22:25:54 UTC
Post by Default User
I got a free iPad mini, which I am using as an ereader. I have
successfully borrowed ebooks from the library (Overdrive). I'm also
looking at getting books from Amazon.
There's a free Kindle app and all. Anybody used that? If you look at
ebooks on Amazon logged in through a web browser, the only purchase
option is Kindle Cloud. Does the app allow you to log into Amazon and
purchase books for download directly to the device? My wireless
connectivity is limited at this time, so I haven't been able to
experiment much.
Brian
Maybe it doesn't set itself up for the app, but in general, you can
go to a "manage" page and download any ebook you have bought to disk
(it's the "transfer by usb" option).
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-06-15 22:36:54 UTC
In article
Post by Default User
I got a free iPad mini, which I am using as an ereader. I have
successfully borrowed ebooks from the library (Overdrive). I'm
also looking at getting books from Amazon.
There's a free Kindle app and all. Anybody used that? If you
look at ebooks on Amazon logged in through a web browser, the
only purchase option is Kindle Cloud. Does the app allow you to
log into Amazon and purchase books for download directly to the
device? My wireless connectivity is limited at this time, so I
haven't been able to experiment much.
Brian
Maybe it doesn't set itself up for the app, but in general, you
can go to a "manage" page and download any ebook you have bought
to disk (it's the "transfer by usb" option).
I believe that option is only available if you own an actual Kindle
device. I don't see it on my account, because I only use the
Windows reader program. (It's not difficult to find where said
program downloads to, but the last few versions have used a new
encryption scheme/file format that Apprentice Alf does not deal
with. Finding older version of the Windows installer is also pretty
easy, as is turning off the automatic program updates. I have no
idea if that's feasible on the iPad, but I'd guess maybe not.)

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-06-15 22:27:00 UTC
Post by Default User
I got a free iPad mini, which I am using as an ereader. I have
successfully borrowed ebooks from the library (Overdrive). I'm
also looking at getting books from Amazon.
There's a free Kindle app and all. Anybody used that? If you
look at ebooks on Amazon logged in through a web browser, the
only purchase option is Kindle Cloud. Does the app allow you to
log into Amazon and purchase books for download directly to the
device? My wireless connectivity is limited at this time, so I
haven't been able to experiment much.
I use the Kindle program for Windows (to purchase). Things may work
differently on the iPad (because Apple hates anything they can't
control), but when I installed it, one of the steps was to register
it to my Amazon account. Once I did that, that "device" (the PC
program) showed up on the "deliver to" options. (In fact, that's the
_only_ option, since I don't own a Kindle device.)

2017-06-16 00:47:39 UTC
Post by Default User
I got a free iPad mini, which I am using as an ereader. I have successfully
borrowed ebooks from the library (Overdrive). I'm also looking at getting
books from Amazon.
There's a free Kindle app and all. Anybody used that? If you look at ebooks
on Amazon logged in through a web browser, the only purchase option is Kindle
Cloud. Does the app allow you to log into Amazon and purchase books for
download directly to the device? My wireless connectivity is limited at this
time, so I haven't been able to experiment much.
AFAIK, you can't purchase ebooks through the Kindle app on the iPad.
However, I have used Safari on the iPad to purchase ebooks and then
switched to Kindle app to read them.
Robert Bannister
2017-06-16 02:14:26 UTC
Post by Default User
I got a free iPad mini, which I am using as an ereader. I have successfully borrowed ebooks from the library (Overdrive). I'm also looking at getting books from Amazon.
There's a free Kindle app and all. Anybody used that? If you look at ebooks on Amazon logged in through a web browser, the only purchase option is Kindle Cloud. Does the app allow you to log into Amazon and purchase books for download directly to the device? My wireless connectivity is limited at this time, so I haven't been able to experiment much.
Yes. It all worked fine for me until last week when the kindle book I
bought from Amazon did not download to my iPad. I will, therefore, not
be buying any more ebooks from Amazon.
--
Robert B. born England a long time ago;
Western Australia since 1972
Peter Trei
2017-06-16 13:14:54 UTC
Post by Robert Bannister
Post by Default User
I got a free iPad mini, which I am using as an ereader. I have successfully borrowed ebooks from the library (Overdrive). I'm also looking at getting books from Amazon.
There's a free Kindle app and all. Anybody used that? If you look at ebooks on Amazon logged in through a web browser, the only purchase option is Kindle Cloud. Does the app allow you to log into Amazon and purchase books for download directly to the device? My wireless connectivity is limited at this time, so I haven't been able to experiment much.
Yes. It all worked fine for me until last week when the kindle book I
bought from Amazon did not download to my iPad. I will, therefore, not
be buying any more ebooks from Amazon.
Don't know why you had a problem - I just ordered a book on my ipad using Safari, specified that it be downloaded to by ipad, and it arrived in a minute
or two.

pt
Robert Bannister
2017-06-17 02:11:33 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Robert Bannister
Post by Default User
[...]
It is strange. If I go to my Amazon account, there is a clear record of
my having bought the book, but it hasn't/won't download. I have since
bought the book for ibooks, paying yet another $10. I'm afraid Amazon
have lost a customer, at least for ebooks.
2017-06-16 15:59:21 UTC
Post by Robert Bannister
Post by Default User
I got a free iPad mini, which I am using as an ereader. I have
successfully borrowed ebooks from the library (Overdrive). I'm
also looking at getting books from Amazon.
There's a free Kindle app and all. Anybody used that? If you
look at ebooks on Amazon logged in through a web browser, the
only purchase option is Kindle Cloud. Does the app allow you to
log into Amazon and purchase books for download directly to the
device? My wireless connectivity is limited at this time, so I
haven't been able to experiment much.
Yes. It all worked fine for me until last week when the kindle
book I bought from Amazon did not download to my iPad. I will,
therefore, not be buying any more ebooks from Amazon.
Have you contacted their customer service? They have a pretty good
reputation.

Robert Bannister
2017-06-17 02:12:15 UTC
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
Post by Robert Bannister
Post by Default User
I got a free iPad mini, which I am using as an ereader. I have
successfully borrowed ebooks from the library (Overdrive). I'm
also looking at getting books from Amazon.
There's a free Kindle app and all. Anybody used that? If you
look at ebooks on Amazon logged in through a web browser, the
only purchase option is Kindle Cloud. Does the app allow you to
log into Amazon and purchase books for download directly to the
device? My wireless connectivity is limited at this time, so I
haven't been able to experiment much.
Yes. It all worked fine for me until last week when the kindle
book I bought from Amazon did not download to my iPad. I will,
therefore, not be buying any more ebooks from Amazon.
Have you contacted their customer service? They have a pretty good
reputation.
I used the email option, but have not had a reply. That was four days ago.
2017-06-17 02:56:52 UTC
Post by Robert Bannister
Post by Default User
I got a free iPad mini, which I am using as an ereader. I
have successfully borrowed ebooks from the library
(Overdrive). I'm also looking at getting books from Amazon.
There's a free Kindle app and all. Anybody used that? If you
look at ebooks on Amazon logged in through a web browser, the
only purchase option is Kindle Cloud. Does the app allow you
to log into Amazon and purchase books for download directly
to the device? My wireless connectivity is limited at this
time, so I haven't been able to experiment much.
Yes. It all worked fine for me until last week when the kindle
book I bought from Amazon did not download to my iPad. I will,
therefore, not be buying any more ebooks from Amazon.
Have you contacted their customer service? They have a pretty
good reputation.
I used the email option, but have not had a reply. That was four days ago.
They do have a toll free number:

(888) 280-4331

Robert Bannister
2017-06-18 01:41:29 UTC
Post by Robert Bannister
Post by Default User
[...]
I thought that was only inside the USA.
Cryptoengineer
2017-06-17 03:11:16 UTC
Post by Robert Bannister
Post by Default User
[...]
I used the phone option - you ask to be called online, and they get
back pretty quickly.

pt
Michael R N Dolbear
2017-06-17 16:00:22 UTC
Post by Robert Bannister
Post by Default User
[...]

And works even in Australia, I am informed.

There is also an online chat option which works well and emails a transcript
on request.

Note there is a "return for refund" request (seven days in US) which you can
do yourself from the signed on Amazon webpage - top right Your Account then
Manage Your Content and Devices.

This also allows sending any book to any registered device or App so a
second chance if download fails.

See the Amazon Help forum webpages for discussion & help from other
customers + FAQ

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/forums/kindleqna/ref=cs_hc_k_pg_next?ie=UTF8&forumID=Fx1FI6JDSFEQQ7V&cdPage=2
Mike D
Robert Bannister
2017-06-18 01:42:35 UTC
Post by Robert Bannister
Post by Default User
[...]
OK, looks as if I should try again if I've not left it too late.
Robert Bannister
2017-06-19 01:33:23 UTC
Post by Robert Bannister
Post by Default User
[...]
Well, it is solved now, although not to my complete satisfaction. I
discovered that my iPad was still registered to my old email address,
but couldn't discover how to change it. After some discussion on the
chat line, it seems the only way is to deregister the pad and then
re-register. This has one significant drawback: every book you have
stored is erased.

Further investigation on the chat line revealed that the books could be
restored if I could tell them my previous email address or the order
numbers of the books. Who keeps old order numbers? More importantly,
Amazon now had no record of my old email address despite the fifty odd
kindles I had bought under it. Every time I change ISP, there are one or
two minor disasters, but this was one that had never happened before.
h***@gmail.com
considered getting a gmail account to use for things like that?
Michael R N Dolbear
2017-06-19 23:54:58 UTC
Post by Robert Bannister
Well, it is solved now, although not to my complete satisfaction. I
discovered that my iPad was still registered to my old email address,
but couldn't discover how to change it. After some discussion on the
chat line, it seems the only way is to deregister the pad and then
re-register. This has one significant drawback: every book you have
stored is erased.
Further investigation on the chat line revealed that the books could be
restored if I could tell them my previous email address or the order
numbers of the books. Who keeps old order numbers? More importantly,
Amazon now had no record of my old email address despite the fifty odd
kindles I had bought under it. Every time I change ISP, there are one or
two minor disasters, but this was one that had never happened before.
.> considered getting a gmail account to use for things like that?

This email address is merely what you use as an account identifier to log on
with Amazon - on the web or to register App or devices. I think it doesn't
even have to be accessible to you.

It can be changed via the web, keeping access to all your books from the
cloud. All that is erased on a reregister is the copies on your iPad

Amazon send emails to it for every purchase you make so if you kept them all
would be known.
Mike D
Robert Bannister
2017-06-20 02:33:40 UTC
Post by Michael R N Dolbear
Post by Robert Bannister
[...]
Very true, but I do not keep emails. I have, however, discovered that my
old iPad that has lost its SIM card ability has retained all the old
books. I won't tell Amazon.
J. Clarke
2017-06-20 09:52:42 UTC
Post by Robert Bannister
Post by Michael R N Dolbear
Post by Robert Bannister
[...]
Why ever not? I find them a very useful reference.
And your old email address is not stored on it anywhere?
Robert Bannister
2017-06-21 03:45:34 UTC
Post by Robert Bannister
Post by Robert Bannister
I have, however, discovered that my
old iPad that has lost its SIM card ability has retained all the old
books. I won't tell Amazon.
And your old email address is not stored on it anywhere?
I know my old email address, but Amazon's records have somehow deleted
any connection between it and me or my books. I even tried the email
address I had ten years ago with the chat man, but that had disappeared
from the records too. I still find sites I haven't visited for ages
require me to log on with that ancient address.
Robert Bannister
2017-06-20 02:31:39 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by Robert Bannister
Post by Robert Bannister
Post by Default User
[...]
I actually have one, but I never use it. Same with my Apple "icloud" and
"me" accounts.
2017-06-20 16:04:08 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by Robert Bannister
Further investigation on the chat line revealed that the books could be
restored if I could tell them my previous email address or the order
numbers of the books. Who keeps old order numbers? More importantly,
Amazon now had no record of my old email address despite the fifty odd
kindles I had bought under it. Every time I change ISP, there are one or
two minor disasters, but this was one that had never happened before.
considered getting a gmail account to use for things like that?
I have had a Hotmail address pretty much since the service became available. I have also had this Yahoo address mostly for usenet. Having stable email addresses for things is, in my opinion, beneficial. I have never used the ISP addresses for anything.

I do like having records of some things going way back.

Brian
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2017-06-20 16:11:46 UTC
Post by Default User
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by Robert Bannister
Further investigation on the chat line revealed that the books could be
restored if I could tell them my previous email address or the order
numbers of the books. Who keeps old order numbers? More importantly,
Amazon now had no record of my old email address despite the fifty odd
kindles I had bought under it. Every time I change ISP, there are one or
two minor disasters, but this was one that had never happened before.
considered getting a gmail account to use for things like that?
I have had a Hotmail address pretty much since the service became
available. I have also had this Yahoo address mostly for usenet. Having
stable email addresses for things is, in my opinion, beneficial. I have
never used the ISP addresses for anything.
I do like having records of some things going way back.
Brian
I have my important emails back to 1985..
Or anyway, they seemed important at the time..
Or I forgot to delete them..
Robert Bannister
2017-06-21 03:49:14 UTC
Post by Default User
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by Robert Bannister
[...]
It was a habit I got into when I was teaching. When the school set up
its own Internet and Intranet capability, it had limited storage, and
the IT people pleaded with us to delete our emails regularly or else
save them as text files on our own disc. So I got into the habit.
Anyway, 90% of emails are boring. Some I keep for a month or so until
they become irrelevant, but most get deleted on the spot.
J. Clarke
2017-06-19 02:14:39 UTC
Post by Robert Bannister
Post by Robert Bannister
Post by Default User
[...]
Why do you keep changing email addresses? You are not obligated to use the
one provided by your ISP.
Greg Goss
2017-06-19 10:21:45 UTC
Why do you keep changing email addresses? You are not obligated to use the
one provided by your ISP.
I had my 1997 address forwarded to Yahoo in 2001, and POPped mail from
both it and Yahoo until probably 2007. I forget when I bought my
domain - it might have been 2002. Whois would tell me, but I don't
feel like chasing it.

Our company has four staff, one near-full-time contractor, and two or
three frequent contractors. We all use one email account, and flag
stuff in the messge title to a particular recipient.

But when we switched banks, the bank web address was set up
individually. So a gmail was set up for each of us
(***@gmail.com) that forwards to the general email
for the company. Two of the five regulars, and one of the occasionals
are just barely computer literate. It's better to have one of the
geekier staff on top of the emails. Generally the shipper/receiver
dude handles the email (and what limited stuff happens on our Facebook
or BBB accounts) and I pick up stuff flagged for me and cover the
general stuff when he's away.

Our "old" general manager handed over the title to the new guy about a
month after his 70th birthday. Our appraiser is 68. Our former
bookkeeper (now stock control clerk) just isn't that bright. There
have been discussions about whether a reality show featuring our
business would be plausible. (Those job titles are somewhat fanciful.
Everyone but me mans (or womans) the sales windows. I'm forbidden
from customer contact by the rules of my job description, presumably
to prevent bribery.
t***@gmail.com
2017-06-19 13:01:18 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by J. Clarke
[...]
These days, its considered normal to have independent work and personal
digital presences. I maintain multiple gmail accounts for different
purposes; the oldest goes back to 2004.

pt
David Goldfarb
2017-06-16 06:18:03 UTC
Post by Default User
I got a free iPad mini, which I am using as an ereader. I have
successfully borrowed ebooks from the library (Overdrive). I'm also
looking at getting books from Amazon.
There's a free Kindle app and all. Anybody used that? If you look at
ebooks on Amazon logged in through a web browser, the only purchase
option is Kindle Cloud. Does the app allow you to log into Amazon and
purchase books for download directly to the device? My wireless
connectivity is limited at this time, so I haven't been able to
experiment much.
My primary ebook reader is the Kindle app on my iPad. (And the majority
of my book reading nowadays is ebooks.)

You can't log in to Amazon through the app. You can, however, register
the device to your Amazon account, go to Amazon through the web browser
of your choice, and select "deliver to Brian's iPad" as the delivery
option on a purchased book. Also, once the device is registered, it
gets an email address, and you can send emails to the device with .mobi
or .pdf files as attachments, and the files will then show up in the
app, available to read. This is how I load new issues of Uncanny onto
it, for instance.

I also have the Kindle app on my phone, and am able to download the
same files to it. When I've been reading on my tablet, and then open
up the same book on the phone, it asks whether I want to go to the
last location viewed on the tablet. (And vice versa, of course.)
This means that I can use the tablet as my main reading device, but
can read on the phone in situations where the tablet is unwieldy
(for example, standing in line at the grocery store).

Yes, this means that they can spy on my reading. Frankly, for me
the convenience of being able to switch between devices far outweighs
the possible privacy concern.
--
David Goldfarb | "I am an atheist, myself. A simple faith, but
***@gmail.com | a great comfort to me in these last days."
***@ocf.berkeley.edu | -- Lois McMaster Bujold, _Shards of Honor_
Peter Trei
2017-06-16 13:27:54 UTC
Post by Default User
I got a free iPad mini, which I am using as an ereader. I have successfully borrowed ebooks from the library (Overdrive). I'm also looking at getting books from Amazon.
There's a free Kindle app and all. Anybody used that? If you look at ebooks on Amazon logged in through a web browser, the only purchase option is Kindle Cloud. Does the app allow you to log into Amazon and purchase books for download directly to the device? My wireless connectivity is limited at this time, so I haven't been able to experiment much.
Brian
As others have mentioned.

* You need an Amazon account to buy stuff.
* You need to install the Kindle app on your iPad
* You need to register that installation with Amazon: "Brian's Ipad" or
similar. It sounds like you haven't done that yet.

Apple is persnickety about 'in-app purchases' - I believe they insist on
getting a cut of the price. As a result, Amazon doesn't permit purchases
through the app.

However, you *can* purchase Kindle books from Amazon through a regular
web browser, logged into your Amazon account, even a browser such as Safari
running on the very same ipad.

When you purchase you can specify the device to which to download it, in
your case whatever name you gave it ("Brian's Ipad").

In the Kindle app, the cover of the book should appear in your 'library'. Click
on it, and the book will download to the device, and you can read.

pt
Jerry Brown
2017-06-16 18:02:07 UTC
On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 06:27:54 -0700 (PDT), Peter Trei
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Default User
[...]
Google is the same re Android devices. You have to purchase via the
browser.
Post by Peter Trei
However, you *can* purchase Kindle books from Amazon through a regular
web browser, logged into your Amazon account, even a browser such as Safari
running on the very same ipad.
When you purchase you can specify the device to which to download it, in
your case whatever name you gave it ("Brian's Ipad").
In the Kindle app, the cover of the book should appear in your 'library'. Click
on it, and the book will download to the device, and you can read.
I suggest you do a practice run with one of the free Kindle books.
Everything works the same (downloading to selected device, syncing
between different devices) except that you don't get charged.

Here's an example of a freebie:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071GYJNYG/ref=sr_1_21?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1497635984&sr=1-21&keywords=arthur+conan+doyle
--
Jerry Brown

A cat may look at a king
(but probably won't bother)
2017-06-16 18:10:05 UTC
Post by Jerry Brown
I suggest you do a practice run with one of the free Kindle books.
Everything works the same (downloading to selected device, syncing
between different devices) except that you don't get charged.
I had actually thought of that and have a free book (a collection of space-opera shorts) targeted as my test run.

Brian
Jay E. Morris
I have no problem purchasing books with the Kindle app on my Samsung Tab.
2017-06-16 16:50:32 UTC
Great information so far. I haven't gotten the app yet, so I will tackle this soon. What is the process of registering the device with Amazon? Do you do that through the app, or from your Amazon account? Does the device have to be online when it's registered?

Right now, I don't have wireless at home, as I didn't need it for anything before. I can do some things, like get apps and install them on the pad through the iTunes and the USB port, but I wasn't successful at getting library books installed through Overdrive.

Brian
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2017-06-16 17:05:26 UTC
Post by Default User
Great information so far. I haven't gotten the app yet, so I will tackle
this soon. What is the process of registering the device with Amazon? Do
you do that through the app, or from your Amazon account? Does the
device have to be online when it's registered?
Right now, I don't have wireless at home, as I didn't need it for
anything before. I can do some things, like get apps and install them on
the pad through the iTunes and the USB port, but I wasn't successful at
getting library books installed through Overdrive.
Brian
I'm speculating here as I don't have an ipad, but just from a techinical
point of view, wireless is just a method of connecting to the Internet.
I'm not clear from your description, but if you have some other way
of connecting your ipad to the house internet, say an ethernet adapter
in the USB port, that should work. IP packets are IP packets.
2017-06-16 18:46:19 UTC
Post by Default User
[...]
...would that it were true. The iPad doesn't have the features expected of a
full fledged computer, and really, really doesn't want to talk to anything
except iTunes via cable (you can offload photos, but that's about it).

Googling around, it looks like you *have* to use wifi or 3G connection for the
kindle operations on the ipad. Free Wifi is very widely available in retail
establishments and libraries. When I'm really stuck, I turn on the mobile
hotspot in my AT&T (android) smartphone.

I haven't registered a new kindle app for years, but don't recall it
being complicated.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201244850

You need your amazon account info.

[While the ipad is superbly ergonomic and pleasant to use for what Apple
wants you to do with it, it is very much locked into the Apple walled
garden, and is no where near as flexible as an Android tablet.]
2017-06-16 19:57:48 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Googling around, it looks like you *have* to use wifi or 3G connection for the
kindle operations on the ipad.
This model doesn't have the cellular option (it's like $130 more) so getting a cheap data plan doesn't even work.
Post by Peter Trei
I haven't registered a new kindle app for years, but don't recall it
being complicated.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201244850
Ok, I'll take a look at that.
Post by Peter Trei
[While the ipad is superbly ergonomic and pleasant to use for what Apple
wants you to do with it, it is very much locked into the Apple walled
garden, and is no where near as flexible as an Android tablet.]
Yep. My choices were this (32GB) or a Galaxy Tab A pad of similar size but 16G. The iPad with retina display had significantly better reviews as an ereader as well.

This is the mini, and the size is about the same as a page in a small hardback, 8"x5.3". It works fine as a reader and is fairly light. I can fit it into a pocket although it's not terribly comfortable and I wouldn't want to sit like that.

Brian
2017-06-16 19:51:02 UTC
Post by Default User
[...]
It's not that simple. There is no Ethernet port, and the USB port doesn't provide power in certain circumstances so you can't use the Ethernet/USB connectors directly. You have to also buy a powered USB hub. I looked into all this. By the time you get the stuff to let you do Ethernet over USB, you might as well get a cheap wireless router.

Not having internet restricts what you can do. As I mentioned, apps can be loaded by getting them through iTunes on the PC, then installing them on the pad. I couldn't find any way to do that with books, at least not Overdrive.

Brian
Greg Goss
2017-06-18 20:17:57 UTC
Post by Default User
It's not that simple. There is no Ethernet port, and the USB port doesn't provide power in certain circumstances so you can't use the Ethernet/USB connectors directly. You have to also buy a powered USB hub. I looked into all this. By the time you get the stuff to let you do Ethernet over USB, you might as well get a cheap wireless router.
In 2012, my wife was going to colleg e, on a long commute on transit
train. Her semi-antique smartphone (Eclair OS) didn't do hot spot, so
I bought a shirt-pocket portable hotspot and an account to go with it.
For small amounts of internetting (my ex does pretty lightweight
internetting, mostly getting to a page then reading it for a half
hour), so the $10 / month plan was OK. She used the hotspot to feed a
cheap Android 7 inch tablet.

For 2013, she changed her major and was unable to get back into the
college of her first program. So she switched to a commercial college
that cost a lot more but had parking. The college provided an iPad
(and downloaded textbooks), but since she was driving, she generally
only used the iPad on the college's WiFi or mine at home. So the
hotspot went into my car where it sat, largely unused, for three
years. I got a data plan on my phone in 2015, but for the year before
that I had a semi-bootleg login onto a local city-wide WiFi provider,
so never needed to use my portable hotspot. I turned off the account
on Wednesday.

According to their records, it was used three times in 2015. Ten
bucks a month is small, but it adds up over time.

Do you want a 3G hotspot box? Shirt pocket size?
2017-06-20 15:48:20 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Do you want a 3G hotspot box? Shirt pocket size?
I appreciate the offer, but I will pass on it. I don't anticipate carrying the pad around in too many situations where I would need it. Thank you though.

Brian
Robert Carnegie
2017-06-16 17:33:10 UTC
Post by Default User
Great information so far. I haven't gotten the app yet, so I will tackle this soon. What is the process of registering the device with Amazon? Do you do that through the app, or from your Amazon account? Does the device have to be online when it's registered?
Right now, I don't have wireless at home, as I didn't need it for anything before. I can do some things, like get apps and install them on the pad through the iTunes and the USB port, but I wasn't successful at getting library books installed through Overdrive.
If wireless internet access is needed, I think
you can now turn your PC into a temporary "hotpot",
by adding an inexpensive wireless USB accessory
if the PC doesn't have one - but read about
how to, before you spend money. Or just use
your neighbour's. :-)
Jay E. Morris
2017-06-16 16:53:52 UTC
Post by Default User
I got a free iPad mini, which I am using as an ereader. I have successfully borrowed ebooks from the library (Overdrive). I'm also looking at getting books from Amazon.
There's a free Kindle app and all. Anybody used that? If you look at ebooks on Amazon logged in through a web browser, the only purchase option is Kindle Cloud. Does the app allow you to log into Amazon and purchase books for download directly to the device? My wireless connectivity is limited at this time, so I haven't been able to experiment much.
Brian
I have the Kindle app on my Samsung Tab. I can browse and purchase
through that. All the books you purchase, app or browser, are all
stored on the Kindle Cloud. You must download them to read and then you
can remove them from your device to free up space if needed.
Jay E. Morris
2017-06-16 16:56:17 UTC
Post by Jay E. Morris
Post by Default User
I got a free iPad mini, which I am using as an ereader. I have
successfully borrowed ebooks from the library (Overdrive). I'm also
looking at getting books from Amazon.
There's a free Kindle app and all. Anybody used that? If you look at
ebooks on Amazon logged in through a web browser, the only purchase
option is Kindle Cloud. Does the app allow you to log into Amazon and
purchase books for download directly to the device? My wireless
connectivity is limited at this time, so I haven't been able to
experiment much.
Brian
I have the Kindle app on my Samsung Tab. I can browse and purchase
through that. All the books you purchase, app or browser, are all
stored on the Kindle Cloud. You must download them to read and then you
can remove them from your device to free up space if needed.
Well, reading the other, iPad specific posts it seems the iPad app is
significantly different so ignore the above.
David DeLaney
2017-06-19 02:26:44 UTC
Post by Jay E. Morris
I got a free iPad mini, which I am using as an ereader. [...]
There's a free Kindle app and all. Anybody used that? [...]
I have the Kindle app on my Samsung Tab. I can browse and purchase
through that. All the books you purchase, app or browser, are all
stored on the Kindle Cloud. You must download them to read and then you
can remove them from your device to free up space if needed.
... I have a kobo. Only big issue I've encountered is that not-deliberately
uninstalling the Reader app (it apparently has no way to roll back an update)
deletes all items you've imported into it, rather than leaving them somewhere
so it can find them again when reinstalled. (So this time around I'm getting
the epubs on my desktop, and just dropping them into the Download folder on
the Kobo, making a backup copy on my PC first. Rather than using the wireless
at work to stripmine Project Gutenberg again.)

Dave
gatekeeper.vic.com/~dbd - net.legends FAQ & Magic / I WUV you in all CAPS! --K.
2017-07-12 19:56:41 UTC
Post by Default User
I got a free iPad mini, which I am using as an ereader. I have successfully borrowed ebooks from the library (Overdrive). I'm also looking at getting books from Amazon.
There's a free Kindle app and all. Anybody used that? If you look at ebooks on Amazon logged in through a web browser, the only purchase option is Kindle Cloud. Does the app allow you to log into Amazon and purchase books for download directly to the device? My wireless connectivity is limited at this time, so I haven't been able to experiment much.
I did successfully "buy" a free Amazon book:

<https://www.amazon.com/BEYOND-SPACE-Milo-James-Fowler-ebook/dp/B012TOHYI0>

Then got it loaded onto the iPad and verified that it opens and everything. It's a reserve book for when I don't have a library book ready.

I found a useful web site that converts a number of file types to epub format. You can also get a application there or other places:

<http://ebook.online-convert.com/convert-to-epub>

You can convert text or PDF. Also web pages. Charles Stross has a few "Laundry" stories on the Tor.com site. I fed in the URLs for them, and got reasonable epub versions (some of the web page stuff is there too). I like having them in a reader format so I can adjust the font and such. It's good for Gutenberg files that don't have some ereader version.

I spent a fair bit of time trying to figure out a way to get library books on the device and readable without wifi, but ultimately was not successful. I did get close.

I have been reasonably satisfied with device as a reader.

Brian